PDA

View Full Version : Rear bar lengths

Crash101
07-18-2016, 07:05 PM
Can someone explain what a longer/shorter top rod on either side will accomplish.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-18-2016, 09:48 PM
Can someone explain what a longer/shorter top rod on either side will accomplish.

I am going to make the dangerous assumption that birdcage mount is not changed and bar angle is not changed. Longer bars will reduce rollsteer. Longer bars will slow down chassis response during roll.

Longer RR upper will soften dynamic wheel rate.

Longer lr upper will stiffen dynamic wheel rate.

HRT2332
08-09-2016, 06:50 AM
MBR,So, is the same true if u lengthen the lower 4 bar rods. I was thinking that GRT years ago used or tried a longer lr lower and it made the car way to throttle tight. But, I think they used a 18" or 19" bar. Is that the way u see it working just trying to understand.

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-09-2016, 12:13 PM
MBR,So, is the same true if u lengthen the lower 4 bar rods. I was thinking that GRT years ago used or tried a longer lr lower and it made the car way to throttle tight. But, I think they used a 18" or 19" bar. Is that the way u see it working just trying to understand.

A longer LR lower will remove loose rollsteer and cause more indexing as the lr drops. That makes for a softer wheel rate.

Both should tighten exit.

money17
08-09-2016, 11:08 PM
What would going from a 15" rr lower to a 14" rr lower do? What if you indexed that 14" rr lower on birdcage?

Matt49
08-10-2016, 11:33 AM
What would going from a 15" rr lower to a 14" rr lower do? What if you indexed that 14" rr lower on birdcage?

Both of those changes would tighten corner entry

money17
08-10-2016, 11:58 AM
Thanks. Didnt want to overtighten on the super but wanted to get in without it hanging out and never getting it back under me. Would adding two rounds to it in the real dry slick help. Have 3/8 trail built in car.

TheJet-09
08-10-2016, 04:47 PM
Do you mean shorten the right side bars 2 turns in the slick? If so, yes, I've turned (shortened) them up to four turns. I don't think you'd want to lengthen them though (unless it rubbered up or on a heavy track). I'm a fan of the sorter RR bottom link, but it's one of those things that if you're starting the night out with it on will require some adjusting to not be too tight when their's traction. Could be good if on a spec tire though? But as already stated, it takes some roll-steer out (RR doesn't go as far back under compression) and it indexes the RR birdcage more (theoretically stiffening the RR ride rate).

money17
08-10-2016, 05:16 PM
Yes, shortening rods. 1600 hoosiers. Very rare tacky tracks. Most blowing dust by qualifying.