PDA

View Full Version : LUCAS / Hav-A-Tampa

DoubleZero
07-19-2016, 03:01 PM
Did the Hav-A-Tampa series become LUCAS?

flagone
07-19-2016, 03:30 PM
No. HAT which spawned from BJ Parker's Southern All Stars with Mike Swims became UDTRA after Hav-A-Tampa sponsorship was lost. Then it became Xtreme under Doug Bland's ownership. It was shuttered at the end of the 2004 season.

Lucas started in response to the end of Xtreme.

billetbirdcage
07-19-2016, 03:35 PM

it turned into extreme for a year or 2, then disbanded IIRC.

Bloomerdirtking
07-19-2016, 03:52 PM
I believe they went with Goodyear tires and the series sponsor was Stacker2 if memory serves me correct

Aces&Eights
07-19-2016, 10:13 PM

Lucas I believe came out of original BoB series. HAT became Xtreme.

BloomerHarvickFan
07-20-2016, 05:03 AM
Even though HAT didn't spawn the Lucas series, it is essentially filled the void. I mean they paid very similar purses, and run a bunch of the same tracks. They seem to spread further than HAT did, geographically.

70satomic
07-20-2016, 05:17 AM
I miss the HAT days there was always a great car count at every race .Now it seems lot's of racers are quitting because of financial reasons or wanting to spend time at home with the family( burnout ).

zyoung25
07-20-2016, 05:39 AM
Lucas I believe came out of original BoB series. HAT became Xtreme.

NARA fits in there somewhere. I remember lucas was the title sponsor of the NARA before it evolved into the LOLMDS.

I believe they went with Goodyear tires and the series sponsor was Stacker2 if memory serves me correct

Id liked to have seen Goodyear stick around a lil longer than they did. Im not sure who designed the branding logos on those tars, but man they were ugly. That stacker 2 car that Mars drove, is probably one he ugliest race cars I've ever seen.

That when dirt late racing was booming. Definitely miss those days.

Josh Bayko
07-20-2016, 08:01 AM

Those Goodyear tires are the reason the WoO even exists.

Aces&Eights
07-20-2016, 08:11 AM
NARA fits in there somewhere. I remember lucas was the title sponsor of the NARA before it evolved into the LOLMDS.

Id liked to have seen Goodyear stick around a lil longer than they did. Im not sure who designed the branding logos on those tars, but man they were ugly. That stacker 2 car that Mars drove, is probably one he ugliest race cars I've ever seen.

That when dirt late racing was booming. Definitely miss those days.
Wasn't NARA the sanction for BoB?

Those Goodyear tires are the reason the WoO even exists.
Exacta-Mundo! Xtreme dude had big ideas but he just missed the boat politically speaking. There was no way the biggest names in sport would dump their tire deals to run with him. Could've gone bigger without competition, but that bad move was his undoing.

zyoung25
07-20-2016, 08:28 AM
Wasn't NARA the sanction for BoB?

http://lucasoil.com/160-archive/1858-lucas-oil-acquires-the-nara-dirtcar-racing-series-retains-mike-swims-and-boosts-winners-circle-program

Interesting read here. Maybe someone else can fill us in on this. Seems like BoB was a branch of NARA. I was kinda young when this stuff was going on, I don't remember much about how it all occurred. I was too worried about chasing tail back then.

JustAddDirt
07-20-2016, 08:56 AM
If I remember correctly
James Essex, and Spencer Wilson, and maybe Tom McConnell (not sure on Tom) started a spinoff series of the Battle of the Bluegrass Series.
BoB was a regional series, and they wanted more of a touring series so the NARA was started. Then Lucas Oil jumped on board, with sponsorship and eventually purchased.
Lucas $$ helped make it what it is today

Snake X3
07-20-2016, 12:21 PM
I had read up on the history of the various series a few months back and was able to piece together the history of the Lucas series and it's predecessors but I can't remember it all right now and didn't bookmark the pages. I do remember the Lucas series used to be the NARA Dirt Car Series. I googled the NARA quick and found this link, which I remembered from when I was reading up on it before.

http://lucasoil.com/160-archive/1858-lucas-oil-acquires-the-nara-dirtcar-racing-series-retains-mike-swims-and-boosts-winners-circle-program

If you surf from there you should be able to tie back to the other major series of the time like Hava Tampa and STARS. If I have time I'll try to put together a time line.

jog49
07-21-2016, 09:59 AM
The BoB series is still around because the races at County Line and at Dublin in the fall are co-sponsored as both Ultimate and UBoB; both races paying $10,000 to win. I suppose that series is now known as Ultimate Battle of the Bluegrass and is one of Stan Lester's babies.

JustAddDirt
07-21-2016, 12:22 PM
BoB name just re-appeared this year.
Origional series has been dead since 2010

jbird10
07-21-2016, 05:24 PM
Seems like I recall Xtreme (Hav a Tampa) merging with UMP or Dirt Motorsports or World Racing Group or something to eventually become World of Outlaws. Lucas was established about the same time with following from EPJ, Don O'Neal, and maybe Shannon Babb and some other guys but at that time those drivers weren't yet considered top tier national drivers. World of Outlaws established the dirty dozen and was initially the premier series with following from Bloomquist, Eckert, Francis, Lanigan, etc and it was the elite series until Lucas continued to evolve and attract superstars. Obviously I consider O'Neal a superstar caliber driver and talent but I just mean at the startup of Lucas he wasn't typically ranked in the same tier as Bloomer, Moyer, Eckert, Mcdowell, Francis, and so on from the Hav a Tampa prime.

Aces&Eights
07-21-2016, 06:21 PM
The BoB series is still around because the races at County Line and at Dublin in the fall are co-sponsored as both Ultimate and UBoB; both races paying $10,000 to win. I suppose that series is now known as Ultimate Battle of the Bluegrass and is one of Stan Lester's babies.Fastrak/Ultimate dude bought BoB name and restarted the series this season. BoB is now part of Ultimate.

Bloomerdirtking
07-21-2016, 06:39 PM
Seems like I recall Xtreme (Hav a Tampa) merging with UMP or Dirt Motorsports or World Racing Group or something to eventually become World of Outlaws. Lucas was established about the same time with following from EPJ, Don O'Neal, and maybe Shannon Babb and some other guys but at that time those drivers weren't yet considered top tier national drivers. World of Outlaws established the dirty dozen and was initially the premier series with following from Bloomquist, Eckert, Francis, Lanigan, etc and it was the elite series until Lucas continued to evolve and attract superstars. Obviously I consider O'Neal a superstar caliber driver and talent but I just mean at the startup of Lucas he wasn't typically ranked in the same tier as Bloomer, Moyer, Eckert, Mcdowell, Francis, and so on from the Hav a Tampa prime. spot on jbird10

Bloomerdirtking
07-21-2016, 06:40 PM
Doug Bland sold it to WRG

TJHTA42
07-22-2016, 10:06 AM
2002 purchased majority of udtra from simms. Merged with ump in aug. Of 2004. Sold then to schrader of the ump in 2005. Lucas oil started officially in 2005,but ran 8 races in 2004. With babb being points winner.

Trax53
07-22-2016, 02:44 PM
Most all Hav A Tampa races in the mid 90's were 2 day shows.

Clayton_Wetter
07-22-2016, 03:32 PM
I have an authentic Battle of The Bluegrass racing jacket from it's original first season!!! I will let it go for $800.00 or the best offer!!! :)

BloomerHarvickFan
07-23-2016, 05:33 AM
Most all Hav A Tampa races in the mid 90's were 2 day shows.

And they were 100 lappers too!!!! I remember thinking back then the 50 lappers were odd, but they are the norm now.