PDA

View Full Version : Why so slow at Eldora in the trucks

MotoMatt
07-20-2016, 02:31 PM
Why are the trucks 5 seconds slower than the late models at Eldora? My assumption is they are heavier, less power and not really built to be on dirt...what am I missing?

bite me too
07-20-2016, 02:33 PM
they are heavier, have less power and aren't made for dirt.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-20-2016, 02:37 PM
Why are the trucks 5 seconds slower than the late models at Eldora? My assumption is they are heavier, less power and not really built to be on dirt...what am I missing?

Yep. Heavy. Less Power. Horrible tire. Heavy. Horrible suspension. Heavy

WVdirtguy1
07-20-2016, 02:50 PM
Yep they have very little grip just look at how they slide around like they are on grease. But it makes for a fun race to watch.

MotoMatt
07-20-2016, 02:54 PM
Yea, i just got hooked up with sling tv's new side with fox sports instead of ESPN and can't wait to watch tonight.

CIRF
07-20-2016, 03:35 PM
The same question can be asked in regards to why dirt late models are so much slower than winged 410 sprint cars. Does that mean late models are heavy. Horrible tires. Heavy. Horrible suspension. Heavy, as compared to a top notch 410 winged sprint car. I think not

The teams have these trucks set up to accommodate being raced on a dirt track. These racing machines have to adhere to rules as they relate to the genre and division in which they compete whether they're raced on dirt or concrete or asphalt.

a25rjr
07-20-2016, 03:46 PM
They aint got them special "tars" either!........well..... some of them might!

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-20-2016, 03:52 PM
The same question can be asked in regards to why dirt late models are so much slower than winged 410 sprint cars. Does that mean late models are heavy. Horrible tires. Heavy. Horrible suspension. Heavy, as compared to a top notch 410 winged sprint car. I think not

The teams have these trucks set up to accommodate being raced on a dirt track. These racing machines have to adhere to rules as they relate to the genre and division in which they compete whether they're raced on dirt or concrete or asphalt.

Actually the sprint car speed is very simple. LIGHT. LOTS of aero. Huge Tires

They also have Horrible Suspension.

The trucks are forced by NASCAR to have horrible suspension regardless of surface. You are correct. In a way, late models have horrible suspension too, but at least it is optimized for the dirt.

Barbecueboy
07-20-2016, 03:56 PM
They aint got them special "tars" either!........well..... some of them might!

Was thinking the same thing........all the dirt late model guys cheat it up at every turn, or so I've heard recently.

CIRF
07-20-2016, 04:16 PM
Actually the sprint car speed is very simple. LIGHT. LOTS of aero. Huge Tires

They also have Horrible Suspension.

The trucks are forced by NASCAR to have horrible suspension regardless of surface. You are correct. In a way, late models have horrible suspension too, but at least it is optimized for the dirt.

You're right on all counts. But it all boils down to the same thing. Lighter racecars with more horsepower and devices to pin the car to the racing surface are always going to be faster and more nimble than heavier, more cumbersome racing machines. On any given occasion the big, heavy, cumbersome machines can, and do, produce better and more exciting racing than their lighter, more powerful cousins. The key words are on occasion.

Snake X3
07-20-2016, 04:34 PM
They mentioned the trucks can't run more than 1.5 inch stagger for one thing

Clayton_Wetter
07-20-2016, 04:39 PM
Famous NASCAR drivers will be there, that's enough to sell out. The racing is secondary. Heavy trucks on a hard black slick track going so slow that they can't help but be side by side! Sounds like it's just going to be GREAT!!!!

pig tracker
07-20-2016, 04:47 PM
They need Bloomer there to fix their tires

zach51
07-20-2016, 06:47 PM
faster and hooked up isn't always better.

zach51
07-20-2016, 06:48 PM
embarrassing run by rico. came up a little short.

Dirt Draggin
07-20-2016, 07:03 PM
embarrassing run by rico. came up a little short.Oh,that was a cheap shot Zach!! That might come back to bite you in the balls!

dirtdobber45
07-20-2016, 07:23 PM
Their slower so the fans dont get rubber lung and sue... lmfao

Cardirt0
07-20-2016, 08:13 PM
If Bobby wins this they will have to buy a huller .... just too carry his head cause it will be sooooooooooooooo Big.....

Barbecueboy
07-20-2016, 09:29 PM

They sign a waiver........no possible way they could sue.

Pm umpskirt or his buddies dad for further details.

FieldFiller
07-20-2016, 09:38 PM
I'm not the biggest Pierce fan, but the way they keep d1ckriding Larson I sure hope he wins.

JinxNC
07-20-2016, 09:38 PM
Pretty entertaining race thus far. Pretenders/ steering wheel holders have been, for the most part, weeded out. The track is the same for everyone. I look for Bobby, barring trouble, to takew home the W, and Larson, as well as Hemeric to put on a show from here to the checkers.

kidrock
07-20-2016, 09:52 PM
Looks like larson is the fastest truck on the track right now.

GregA12
07-20-2016, 09:53 PM
Pretty entertaining race thus far. Pretenders/ steering wheel holders have been, for the most part, weeded out. The track is the same for everyone. I look for Bobby, barring trouble, to takew home the W, and Larson, as well as Hemeric to put on a show from here to the checkers.
I hope Bobby was just pacing himself and saving some stuff because if not...that's too many laps to simply hold off Larson.

kidrock
07-20-2016, 09:53 PM
I'm not the biggest Pierce fan, but the way they keep d1ckriding Larson I sure hope he wins.

Kind of hard not to talk about one of the best open wheel dirt track driver in the country

Cardirt0
07-20-2016, 10:09 PM
Have too give it to Bobby He ran 1 He!! of a race...........

JinxNC
07-20-2016, 10:09 PM
Kind of hard not to talk about one of the best open wheel dirt track driver in the country

That my friends is why we watch DIRT TRACK RACING..... Dumbest bunch, of der her, notanicewordnotanicewordnotaniceword.....whatever. ...... hope all them (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) steering wheel holders wreck!

And this douche forum STILL "not a nice worded me......." What a joke!

zyoung25
07-20-2016, 10:17 PM
Dirt guys clean sweep. We take the top 5. IF pierce hadn't wrecked he would've been a safe top 5. We seen who the steering wheel holders are, that's for sure.

Stupid nascar rules kinda shafted him out of a better finish. In the words of Hank Hill......"d@mmit Bobby."

jlacey
07-20-2016, 10:22 PM
Hope nobody was playing a drinking game for every time they said slide job, if so it was nice knowin ya. Sucks for lil Bobby and Freisen looked good. Was hoping Rico could get up there to fight for the win

old fan
07-20-2016, 10:36 PM
Kind of hard not to talk about one of the best open wheel dirt track driver in the countrybut Larson no longer races open wheels try again christopher bell and Rico yes Larson no

old fan
07-20-2016, 10:38 PM
as far as speeds here they are notice only the winged sprints are faster then the DLMS http://www.eldoraspeedway.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/TrackRecords.pdf

CIRF
07-20-2016, 11:03 PM
but Larson no longer races open wheels try again christopher bell and Rico yes Larson no

Yes he does. Larson won a couple of A-mains during Ohio Speed Week earlier this season. He's also going to race at The Knoxville Nationals later this Summer, races at The Chili Bowl and Turkey Night Grand Prix.

As Kid said, Larson is one of the most celebrated dirt track drivers in more than a generation. Hard not to mention him now and again. Especially the show he put on getting his lap back and making his way to the front after restarting on the tail end of the lead lap.

Keith Kunz Motorsports alumni certainly gave a great account of themselves. Larson, Bell and Rico all came up through KKM!

Great race!!

old fan
07-21-2016, 06:11 AM
well he better stay in open wheel because like the driver he replaced in NASCAR they are not cutting it in the big league

zyoung25
07-21-2016, 06:23 AM
well he better stay in open wheel because like the driver he replaced in NASCAR they are not cutting it in the big league

Youre clueless. Larson is barely into his 20s, hes already shown more promise than Montoya did in his all his years in cup. He hasnt won, but he has been a contender in several races. Montoya was known for 2 things in cup, road courses, and wiping out the jet drier.

Jibberish and confusing come back in 3.....2......1.....

RiffRaf67
07-21-2016, 10:10 AM
but Larson no longer races open wheels try again christopher bell and Rico yes Larson no

That's funny, 5th in the chilli bowl this year in an open wheel midget.
Leading Ohio Sprint Speedweek in points after night #5 in an open wheeled winged sprintcar, before his JOB called him away from his hobby...
Pretty sure I saw him win in an open wheel sprint car at AtmoiKC during that same week....

Barbecueboy
07-21-2016, 10:18 AM
It's a hard knock life on the mean sidewalks of St. Louis............concussion Capitol of the Midwest as I understand it.

Cardirt0
07-21-2016, 10:41 AM
Youre clueless. Larson is barely into his 20s, hes already shown more promise than Montoya did in his all his years in cup. He hasnt won, but he has been a contender in several races. Montoya was known for 2 things in cup, road courses, and wiping out the jet drier.

Jibberish and confusing come back in 3.....2......1.....

Dont Think I LOL harder then when he Hit that Jet Dryer... But you can thank him cause look at what the do now too dry the track and you can say it because of him LOL.....How can you not miss something 25 foot long and 7 foot wide........

Barbecueboy
07-21-2016, 01:37 PM
Dont Think I LOL harder then when he Hit that Jet Dryer... But you can thank him cause look at what the do now too dry the track and you can say it because of him LOL.....How can you not miss something 25 foot long and 7 foot wide........

Think he was texting........

zach51
07-21-2016, 02:21 PM
I feel sorry for all of the good people of St Louis.

Clayton_Wetter
07-21-2016, 02:50 PM

lol :)......

blncfn57
07-21-2016, 03:40 PM
They sign a waiver........no possible way they could sue.

Pm umpskirt or his buddies dad for further details.

You, sir, are ignorant. For someone who claims to have ties with people at longhorn, you sure don't have the same personality of any of them.

old fan
07-21-2016, 05:17 PM
has Larson won in CUP no we he win in cup maybe maybe not lets see a f1champ and indy winner vs a sprint car winner hmmm

old fan
07-21-2016, 05:33 PM
the Eldora stock car record is 3 seconds quicker than the trucks good grief

johnE
07-21-2016, 07:17 PM
They are like Super Stocks on a bad tire. I love it!

old fan
07-21-2016, 09:01 PM
and lets put some oil dry on dirt what joke nascar is

chupp n bloomer fan
07-21-2016, 09:17 PM
Dont Think I LOL harder then when he Hit that Jet Dryer... But you can thank him cause look at what the do now too dry the track and you can say it because of him LOL.....How can you not miss something 25 foot long and 7 foot wide........His rear end broke I think it was, trailing arm, something. They were having issues, why he was going pretty quick and by himself. Not that he didn't have issues his whole NASCAR career.

kidrock
07-21-2016, 09:30 PM
the Eldora stock car record is 3 seconds quicker than the trucks good grief

And the truck race was very entertaining though wasn't it

kidrock
07-21-2016, 09:33 PM
That my friends is why we watch DIRT TRACK RACING..... Dumbest bunch, of der her, notanicewordnotanicewordnotaniceword.....whatever. ...... hope all them (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) steering wheel holders wreck!

And this douche forum STILL "not a nice worded me......." What a joke!

Ok then lol

kidrock
07-21-2016, 09:35 PM

And Larson still the best open wheel driver num nuts and by the way still races on dirt when he gets a chance

kidrock
07-21-2016, 09:37 PM

You can be rest assurd Larson gets with one of the big three and he will start wining right away.

old fan
07-21-2016, 09:42 PM
bull crap if he was good enough he should be in right don't you think would dump Patrick for him there is something amiss

kidrock
07-21-2016, 10:04 PM
bull crap if he was good enough he should be in right don't you think would dump Patrick for him there is something amiss

And who's to say when Larson's contract is up that that won't happen. He's good enough but, since you have taken it this far you can't back out now. I will take the people in the indusrty word over you any day.

old fan
07-21-2016, 10:12 PM
Really now ask me if i give a crap what happens in nascrap

Mams
07-22-2016, 08:47 AM
At least the winner's average speed wasn't slow - a blazing 41.971 mph!

jeffreymo
07-22-2016, 09:00 AM

CIRF posted an article earlier this week that told why Larson is with Ganassi. Chip was willing to give him a chance, when everyone else just wanted money. You see, some people still believe in loyalty. I say good for Kyle.

over4T
07-22-2016, 11:11 AM
Running Eldora in the late '60s in the old pre-war ( that's WW II for the kids) coupes/sedans with flatheads & inline sixes the lap times we ran were in the high 20s-low 21 seconds. That was on brick hard 7 1/2 " tires with worse than terrible suspensions. The LMs, near new Chevelles, Torinos, Chargers & mostly big blocks were in the mid 19s. The non wing sprinters of the day were in the low 17s. Just some perspective, though I thought the truck race was entertaining if only to see the kids that hadn't run dirt before mostly get in trouble. Wonder how one of my '40 Ford sedans would have done.

old fan
07-22-2016, 06:12 PM
CIRF posted an article earlier this week that told why Larson is with Ganassi. Chip was willing to give him a chance, when everyone else just wanted money. You see, some people still believe in loyalty. I say good for Kyle.and he will never win a race

old fan
07-22-2016, 06:13 PM
At least the winner's average speed wasn't slow - a blazing 41.971 mph! my turdcell could out run that

CIRF
07-23-2016, 08:05 AM
Whether Larson ever wins a Cup race is irrelevant to his dirt racing prowess. He's won races on dirt in a half dozen different types of racecars. Crown jewel races to boot.

A victory in the Rolex 24 is a bigger accomplishment than almost any Cup race and Larson has already won that.

Relative speed is irrelevant to the quality of racing. Anyone who questions the quality of the Eldora truck race may want to reexamine their expectations in regards to the entertainment value and quality of auto racing.

old fan
07-23-2016, 08:08 AM
but never in a crown jewel with a late model why s that , sorry racing is about how fast you can get around the track not running around in a snails pace

CIRF
07-23-2016, 09:29 AM
Larson's ambition was always to get to NASCAR where, unfortunately, the big money and fame is. Success in late models have never really provided a pathway to the big time but there are several open wheel dirt track drivers that have made the transition and have been successful at the Cup level. We all know who they are.

Winning The Chili Bowl propelled Tim McCreadie to a NASCAR opportunity and unfortunately he couldn't make it stick. The same can't be said for winners of the World Hundred, The Dream or Knoxville. Maybe young Pierce will be the exception, I for one hope he is.

If dirt late model racing was a common pathway to NASCAR, as dirt open wheel racing is, it's a safe wager that Larson would have won several late model "crown jewel's" by now. He's that good.

As someone else posted earlier, if speed is the prerequisite to great racing then airplane races and/or drag racing is your thing. Or, if we're talking dirt track oval racing then 410 winged sprint cars must be the best racing. Most don't subscribe to the "faster is better racing" theory, including myself. Pure speed never has, or ever will be the main ingredient in determining the quality of racing.

dirtmaze3
07-23-2016, 09:40 AM
Duh there trucks. Heavy trucks.