PDA

View Full Version : Why is Pennsboro remembered so fondly?

DennisErbFan
07-21-2016, 02:46 AM
I never had the opportunity to attend a race there, but I hear it's a legendary track. What made it so great and why did it shut down?

nc mudcat
07-21-2016, 06:58 AM
The track was terrible, the racing was terrible, the facilities were terrible, IMO. I can't wait to go again! It was all about the fans and the fun. The money drew the drivers, the drivers drew the fans, the atmsophere drew the fans, the do-what-you-want attitude drew the fans, on and on.

Pennsboro23
07-21-2016, 07:01 AM
The atmosphere. Sort of like Fairbury is today in regards to atmosphere and fans. It was magical, you could literally feel how special the place was. Old school place, horrible facilities. Big money races, all the drivers like mentioned above.

bleedblue55
07-21-2016, 07:39 AM
I fondly remember every track I've been to that is not racing or has disappeared. Unfortunately that includes the 3 closest to me, Pennsboro, Interstate-I79, and Morgantown.

MontanaMagic1619*
07-21-2016, 11:54 AM
What an interesting question !

The " mystique " of the place for starters. It was out in the boondocks; a word my compadres always like using, it always drew the very best drivers of those days, purses were dammed good for that time, and I agree the facilities sucked, the food was terrible, but the beer and whiskey was plentiful, but most of all it was the women for me. It wouldn't surprise me one bit that lots of babies were conceived at that place as well......it reminded me so many times of " a racing Woodstock " although I wasn't fortunate enough to be there at the 'Stock, the atmosphere was electric, and the racing was so dammed good !

Dam, when's the next race there

PennDirt
07-21-2016, 01:29 PM
" a racing Woodstock "

That's possibly the best takeaway I've ever read about Pennsboro. It sure fits. I'm not even gonna bust into my own diatribe about the 'Boro after that MM gem. He said it all.

MI Dirt Fan
07-21-2016, 01:56 PM
" a racing Woodstock "

Been to a few of those. Almost makes you forget that you actually went there for the racing and not the party.

Some places that have been around for 50-60 yrs just have that nostalgia. So many guys have come through there and raced, won races, won championship(s). Some moved on to bigger opportunities and some didn't. Some of the rare tracks are the ones still open that have switched back and forth between dirt and asphalt over the years.

oldfart50
07-21-2016, 03:51 PM
Because everyone was drunk and dont remember what a real shthole it was...

jr1216
07-21-2016, 03:59 PM
definitely not the nicest facilities but the car count was great. I would go in a heartbeat if they had a big race again. I went several times in the middle 80s.

jlacey
07-22-2016, 05:12 AM
I went a few years in a row in the mid to late 90s for the DTWC. As I've said before the place was a sh1t hole but we loved it. Have a few good stories from that place but it would probably take 30 min + to read em all on here. Ill just never forget parking outside of turn 1 and Lynn Geislers primary sponsor joining me with their coolers, most of the day was a blur and ended with a trip to the hospital

Krooser
07-22-2016, 06:04 AM
Went once... Kinda on par with Eldora of the same vintage. Those were the drivers raced anywhere anytime if the money was right... Not many cry babies back then. Can't wait to go again.

weatherman85
07-22-2016, 02:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GICUbQwatk

weatherman85
07-22-2016, 03:04 PM
I've always often heard that the racing at this track sucked but thought this heat race was pretty darn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heH7i72vVTY

Phatdaddy
07-22-2016, 03:33 PM
I went in '94. I remember wondering where everyone parked. Then I heard that vehicles parked along the road to Hwy 150 were ticketed in the last year of the DTWC. That would have been a super bummer for those paying fans.
In response to the question, I get the whole nostalgia aspect (Eldora has that too), but I wish the ones making $$$$ from the event would have put some of it back in the racing surface.

Aces&Eights
07-22-2016, 03:54 PM
I never had the opportunity to attend a race there, but I hear it's a legendary track. What made it so great and why did it shut down?
Great Purse.
Best Drivers.
Fairy tale ending for first ever DTWC.
(Guys hauler wouldn't start, so he stayed, started last and won $50K.)
The track was horrible almost every year except 96' and it was rain/day light shortened.(No track lights)
They actually came over PA and asked campers to stop riding 4 wheelers in cemetery after dark.
The bleechers were cut into side of hill.(grass)
a creek ran through infield and under track at both ends.
It was originally a horse racing track at turn of century.

CIRF
07-22-2016, 03:59 PM
I attended just one race at Pennsboro. The Dirt Track World Championship. Freddy Smith won the year we were there.

To this day it is the biggest $hithole we've ever seen.

The restrooms (I use that term very cautiously) reeked so bad that you'd walk out smelling like raw sewage and the stench would hang on you for an hour. It didn't matter whether it was a porta-potty or the permanent facilities. Actually the permanent facilities were the worst.

I'm pretty sure they didn't touch the track the whole weekend and over 80 to 100 cars were in the pits.

You needed to be part mountain goat to get to a decent seat and parking was almost nonexistent.

We came away with the attitude that it was worth attending once but vowed never to make the 8 1/2 hour one way trip again, and we never did. Anyone who has never been to Pennsboro can not remotely relate to the "magic" of the experience. Part of what made the one trip to Pennsboro worth it was the place gave us a renewed appreciation for the really enjoyable race tracks that we regularly attend.

Aces&Eights
07-22-2016, 04:01 PM
I've always often heard that the racing at this track sucked but thought this heat race was pretty darn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heH7i72vVTY

Check out 1991, Bloomer has bad qualifying run and has to start in middle of the C Main! Puts on a driving clinic thru C & B mains and gets to within 1 spot of making it in and caution waves with 3 laps to go. Green waves, Bloomy refires and motor pukes...

CIRF
07-22-2016, 04:09 PM
Check out 1991, Bloomer has bad qualifying run and has to start in middle of the D Main! Puts on a driving clinic thru C & B mains and gets to within 1 spot of making it in and caution waves with 3 laps to go. Green waves, Bloomy refires and motor pukes...

A&E, that was the year we were there. IIRC Freddy Smith and Mike Duval had a very good battle in the early stages of the A-main.

chupp n bloomer fan
07-22-2016, 05:17 PM
Unless you have been there, you cannot imagine how big of a sh!thole it was. The way you entered and exited the track if you had a pit pass was on a sh!tty concrete walkway under the bridge above the creek in 1 n 2. Racing was mediocre, but it was daytime racing. Lord knows no one made enough money to put up any lighting or sh!tters.

I'd go back for sure. But it'll never have that exact feeling again. That I have no idea why the fuk I'm here, but I'm going to come back feeling. Can't remember how many times I went, I know Ronnie Johnson won the one.

The debauchery, stories, very PG rated ;).

jlacey
07-22-2016, 05:42 PM
Yeah the heats and consis were better than the mains IMO, but bc of rain i was only able to see 1 actual feature. Marshall Green won that 1 but the years before WVMS would run Saturday nights after Pennsboro qualifying. Id definitely go if they reopened 1 if not both of em

BIGSTEVE00
07-23-2016, 08:25 AM
Pennsboro's DTWC to me was always one of the races we waited for all season. It was more about the prestige than anything. I remember going to WVMS the night before the DTWC and staying all night in the truck out by the big tree in the middle of the parking field. Then we'd get up before day light when it was extremely foggy and head towards Pennsboro. On my first visit to Pennsboro I got the honor of seeing my favorite driver of all time Freddy Smith(1991) win his third DTWC. After that I got to see Ronnie Johnson(1992 & 1994), Freddy won it again(1993), Then Black Jack Boggs won it in the year of Boggs(1995 Black Jack won just about every crown jewel race, all that I went to), Billy Moyer won it the next year(1996) and then what I believe was the last DTWC @ Pennsboro saw an upset with Marshall Green winning with Freddy Smith on his tail almost the entire race(1997. I remember watching Marshall smoking his tire he was running it so hard to stay in front of the master of Pennsboro Freddy Smith). The following year the race got moved to the Thunder Ridge Entertainment Complex in Paintsville, Ky where Freddy won his last DTWC. The racing wasn't the greatest at Pennsboro, it was extremely hard to pass, not much banking at all. You knew you were going to get to see the best in the business when you pulled in there. I miss that weekend of racing, WVMS to Pennsboro and then back to WVMS. Good memories.

bleedblue55
07-23-2016, 09:39 AM
I went in '94. I remember wondering where everyone parked. Then I heard that vehicles parked along the road to Hwy 150 were ticketed in the last year of the DTWC. That would have been a super bummer for those paying fans.
In response to the question, I get the whole nostalgia aspect (Eldora has that too), but I wish the ones making $$$$ from the event would have put some of it back in the racing surface.
I got a parking ticket that year. Called the county office (Magistrate???) that was listed. Was told to just send the ticket back in and forget it. As far as the racing surface they did put a little money back into it. Mostly in the form of calcium chloride and not new clay. That's how everyone did it years ago especially for day races.

bleedblue55
07-23-2016, 09:45 AM
Pennsboro's DTWC to me was always one of the races we waited for all season. It was more about the prestige than anything. I remember going to WVMS the night before the DTWC and staying all night in the truck out by the big tree in the middle of the parking field. Then we'd get up before day light when it was extremely foggy and head towards Pennsboro. On my first visit to Pennsboro I got the honor of seeing my favorite driver of all time Freddy Smith(1991) win his third DTWC. After that I got to see Ronnie Johnson(1992 & 1994), Freddy won it again(1993), Then Black Jack Boggs won it in the year of Boggs(1995 Black Jack won just about every crown jewel race, all that I went to), Billy Moyer won it the next year(1996) and then what I believe was the last DTWC @ Pennsboro saw an upset with Marshall Green winning with Freddy Smith on his tail almost the entire race(1997. I remember watching Marshall smoking his tire he was running it so hard to stay in front of the master of Pennsboro Freddy Smith). The following year the race got moved to the Thunder Ridge Entertainment Complex in Paintsville, Ky where Freddy won his last DTWC. The racing wasn't the greatest at Pennsboro, it was extremely hard to pass, not much banking at all. You knew you were going to get to see the best in the business when you pulled in there. I miss that weekend of racing, WVMS to Pennsboro and then back to WVMS. Good memories.
I remember Marshall Green's win but that smoke was from an engine issue. I kept waiting for it to grenade but it made it somehow. Pretty sure Bart Hartman won the last DTWC ran at Pennsboro. Bloomer rode Bart's back bumper most of the race but never got by him.

jlacey
07-23-2016, 01:24 PM
I always liked coming down 50 and when you got to the track it was a cool scene in the morning. You could just barely make out the track sitting between the mountains with fog covering everything

bonz45
07-23-2016, 02:45 PM
The best cars always showed up there. One of the best memories that also goes along with that time period is getting there at 7:30 am and watching for all the cars to pull in. At that time most were open haulers and the ones that were enclosed were painted up with the team numbers and sponsors.

In today's world, all the transporters are similar, with no race team identity.

mopar92
07-23-2016, 09:54 PM
What killed the track? Pretty sad. It seemed like a huge event.

Raceready
07-24-2016, 01:19 AM
I attended just one race at Pennsboro. The Dirt Track World Championship. Freddy Smith won the year we were there. To this day it is the biggest $hithole we've ever seen. The restrooms (I use that term very cautiously) reeked so bad that you'd walk out smelling like raw sewage and the stench would hang on you for an hour. It didn't matter whether it was a porta-potty or the permanent facilities. Actually the permanent facilities were the worst. I'm pretty sure they didn't touch the track the whole weekend and over 80 to 100 cars were in the pits. You needed to be part mountain goat to get to a decent seat and parking was almost nonexistent. We came away with the attitude that it was worth attending once but vowed never to make the 8 1/2 hour one way trip again, and we never did. Anyone who has never been to Pennsboro can not remotely relate to the "magic" of the experience. Part of what made the one trip to Pennsboro worth it was the place gave us a renewed appreciation for the really enjoyable race tracks that we regularly attend. I was there as well and the year was 1993.The fans were left asking who in the hell was the guy in 2nd place. Chub Frank came from deep in the field and may have won it if there had only been 1 more lap left in the race. He had an old rusted out Chevy Suburban with a small open trailer parked in the middle of the long row of high dollar totorhomes and trailers. The place was a sh-thole of epic proportions. 1 lane, dust bowl, other than a couple of street lights there weren't any lights, the porta poopers would be so full that the pile of poop would be 3 or 4 inches above the top of the seats, no concessions to speak of, and a host of other unbelievable things. It was in a holler with high mountains on both sides making it the loudest track ever, even louder than Bristol. The people in the infield would plug their ears and grimace with the pain. If a person wanted to eat good the best option was buying something at the IGA grocery store across the road. The store would almost sell completely out before the weekend was done. parking sucked and many people were trapped inside and may have had to stay an extra day before they were able to get out. Race rigs and motorhomes would get sink in the swamp of an infield and log skidders would have to winch them out. 1 fellow who was a recovering alcoholic and his family had driven 10 hours to get there turned right around and headed home because he couldn't deal with all of the people that were falling drunk at 8 0'clock in the morning with the stench of burning porta potties lingering in the air. The partiers stacked 6 porta potties in a pile, threw discarded racing tires on them, doused them with Turbo Blue and lit the whole kit and caboodle afire! Always a unique experience!

edavis71
07-24-2016, 12:48 PM
The Pennsboro experience, wow. I was there for the Hillbilly and the DTWC every year growing up. pretty much the only time that I got to see all the big boys together all year. Get there at 8:00 in the morning and there were people already drunk, bleachers were frosted over, urinals overflowing and the smell of Italian sausage cooking. Racing sucked but hell, I would go back again for old times sake!!!

edavis71
07-24-2016, 12:52 PM
I remember Marshall Green's win but that smoke was from an engine issue. I kept waiting for it to grenade but it made it somehow. Pretty sure Bart Hartman won the last DTWC ran at Pennsboro. Bloomer rode Bart's back bumper most of the race but never got by him.

Yes sir you are correct, Bart did win that race, it was the night after Birky won the Freedom 100 at WV Motor. It was cold as hell that weekend!!! back to back 50 grand's!!!

MontanaMagic1619*
07-24-2016, 06:51 PM
The Pennsboro experience, wow. I was there for the Hillbilly and the DTWC every year growing up. pretty much the only time that I got to see all the big boys together all year. Get there at 8:00 in the morning and there were people already drunk, bleachers were frosted over, urinals overflowing and the smell of Italian sausage cooking. Racing sucked but hell, I would go back again for old times sake!!!

You're spot on Eric with everything you wrote above, my compadres and I camped out the night before usually up in the sticks in turn one, but the smell was mostly rancid as you said, we always made sure we had plenty of our own food and of course plenty ( and I do mean plenty ) of beverage on hand to get us through the two days and one night. I can remember parking our pickups at a friend's house about three miles away because of the unbelievable traffic jams before and after the race. I've been reading all of these comments and can recall most all of them, and by the way, I only missed one of these races ( 1991 ), the year Fast Freddy won, but I saw it the other day on YouTube and it rekindled a great deal of memories for me. Ya know, seeing future Hall of Famers like RJ, Blackjack, Flintstone Flyer, Moore, Moran, Freddy, Buck, Wearing, and Rodney Franklin ( dam ) I could go on all day with the most famous late model drivers of all time, but these are just a few off the top of my head; and I can recall Bloomer in his first six to eight years here just couldn't get out of his own way if he tried, but wow, something must have kinda tonked him on the head in around '96 because his talent suddenly started to skyrocket into the legend he is today.

I always made sure that no matter where I was in the world whether it was in Shanghai, Rio, Paris, or London, I always made it a strict point to be back in West Virginia by the third week in October. I've read on here about the racing not being that great, but I didn't give a "sh*t", I was in Pennsboro and I was watching the greatest late model drivers to EVER live.

And yes PennDirt, I stick to my original thought, this place was without question the " Woodstock " for any diehard late model racing fanatic, no matter how putrid some things were, the magical Pennsboro always brought me back to America on that wild and wacked out weekend in October.

Pennsboro23
07-24-2016, 09:46 PM
Love hearing all of these stories about my hometown track.

Raceready
07-25-2016, 02:20 AM
Lol Sometimes after parking off of the gas lease road where you were blocked in for the weekend a person was limited on what they could do when the racing was over. We walked down the road to a bar named Margies for liquid refreshments. A wild place indeed! One of the crew chiefs that shall remain nameless "borrowed" a riding lawn mower from a local residents yard and was using it to shuttle people sitting on the hood and standing on the running boards to and from the track. It worked well until the W.V. State troopers put an end to all of the ATVs on the road. Golf carts weren't very efficient there because of the mud, blood, and the beer. They tended to get stuck in the mud holes and in the various creek crossings. After being there every time the song [Bubba shot the jukebox] would start playing I would say " I've been there" !!

jlacey
07-25-2016, 08:10 AM
I was only 14-16 the years my uncle and i went. I was working/driving in the area about a year ago and noticed things started looking kinda familiar. Saw the plant at the bottom of the mountain and almost put the box truck on its side trying to make that turn so fast. Stopped to take pics and everything but so many memories came back just standing there looking at the track. I wanna experience it as an adult now, the way it was back then. Him and I always say out of all the sh1tholes weve been to that 1 is by far our favorite

slide-skill
07-25-2016, 08:14 AM
The porta crappers getting torched , but the track was locked down one lane ,!

jlacey
07-25-2016, 08:27 AM
I forgot about the annual lighting of the porta crappers

edavis71
07-25-2016, 08:49 AM
You're spot on Eric with everything you wrote above, my compadres and I camped out the night before usually up in the sticks in turn one, but the smell was mostly rancid as you said, we always made sure we had plenty of our own food and of course plenty ( and I do mean plenty ) of beverage on hand to get us through the two days and one night. I can remember parking our pickups at a friend's house about three miles away because of the unbelievable traffic jams before and after the race. I've been reading all of these comments and can recall most all of them, and by the way, I only missed one of these races ( 1991 ), the year Fast Freddy won, but I saw it the other day on YouTube and it rekindled a great deal of memories for me. Ya know, seeing future Hall of Famers like RJ, Blackjack, Flintstone Flyer, Moore, Moran, Freddy, Buck, Wearing, and Rodney Franklin ( dam ) I could go on all day with the most famous late model drivers of all time, but these are just a few off the top of my head; and I can recall Bloomer in his first six to eight years here just couldn't get out of his own way if he tried, but wow, something must have kinda tonked him on the head in around '96 because his talent suddenly started to skyrocket into the legend he is today.

I always made sure that no matter where I was in the world whether it was in Shanghai, Rio, Paris, or London, I always made it a strict point to be back in West Virginia by the third week in October. I've read on here about the racing not being that great, but I didn't give a "sh*t", I was in Pennsboro and I was watching the greatest late model drivers to EVER live.

And yes PennDirt, I stick to my original thought, this place was without question the " Woodstock " for any diehard late model racing fanatic, no matter how putrid some things were, the magical Pennsboro always brought me back to America on that wild and wacked out weekend in October.

Excellent post my friend!!!

weatherman85
07-25-2016, 12:11 PM
What killed the track? Pretty sad. It seemed like a huge event.

I 2nd this question. Sounds like the track didn't have any trouble pulling in the cars or crowds of people so why did it shut down? Development in the area? Bad Promoting? Silly politics?

raburke23
07-25-2016, 12:24 PM
I 2nd this question. Sounds like the track didn't have any trouble pulling in the cars or crowds of people so why did it shut down? Development in the area? Bad Promoting? Silly politics?

Track was run by the fair board and since they didnt have weekly racing, the fair board politics made it impossible for Carl Short to come to any further leasing agreements. The place had long outlived its life. Everyone will tell you it was a sh!thole, but they loved it...well, it was a sh!thole and was declining. The lack of lights and increase in dust made it a safety issue. I went a handful of times and would never ever go back. Ive got enough nostalgia in my head. I want the opportunity to see good racing and you just wouldnt see it at the Boro. I once saw a 24 car pile up in a street stock feature on the front stretch. The dust was so bad, the 2 leaders spun off four and the whole field piled in at full speed, completely unable to see. The scheduling was so bad. They ran a support class for some dumb reason and had no time limit. If you had never been, consider yourself lucky.

Raceready
07-25-2016, 12:27 PM
I 2nd this question. Sounds like the track didn't have any trouble pulling in the cars or crowds of people so why did it shut down? Development in the area? Bad Promoting? Silly politics? I believe that it may have had something to do with the local water company. They had some sort of spring house below the third turn. Another thing I now recall is that during the last year or so a couple of officials from the W.V. Tax department were harassing the crews about them selling t-shirts out of the back of their haulers. We took ours down until they left and then moved them to just inside the ramp so that fans could still see and purchase them.

Pennsboro23
07-25-2016, 12:57 PM

Flood, they eventually ran again but had a poor promoter. By that time Carl Short had already taken his two races elsewhere.

Cleetus Motorsports
07-25-2016, 01:00 PM
As someone who watched a lot of races from Pennsboro on video, it was pretty awesome to see a proverbial whose who of late model racing there year in and year out. I had a few questions that I hope someone on this post could answer. From looking at google earth, it doesn't appear there would be a lot of parking for spectators. There is a big field off turn 1, but in the videos I have it looks to be filled with campers. Did people park all along route 50? I know someone in an earlier post mentioned the state troopers ticketed people who parked along side route 50 the one year. How did the haulers exit the track? On one of my videos as victory land is going on you can see haulers going down the front stretch towards turn 3, so I am assuming there was an access road off the back stretch? Was anyone allowed to camp in the field that sat behind turns 3 and 4? That is an interesting tidbit about the tax people at the track. I believe that was from the whole Carl Short and Rick and Don Gross mess. Did they tell you why you couldn't sell shirts out of your trailer?

CIRF
07-25-2016, 01:11 PM
Longing for Pennsboro and waxing nostalgic is like longing to once again take a dip in a pig $hit lagoon after accidentally falling into one when you were a kid. It was disgusting then and it'd be disgusting now.

Pennsboro23
07-25-2016, 01:26 PM
As someone who watched a lot of races from Pennsboro on video, it was pretty awesome to see a proverbial whose who of late model racing there year in and year out. I had a few questions that I hope someone on this post could answer. From looking at google earth, it doesn't appear there would be a lot of parking for spectators. There is a big field off turn 1, but in the videos I have it looks to be filled with campers. Did people park all along route 50? I know someone in an earlier post mentioned the state troopers ticketed people who parked along side route 50 the one year. How did the haulers exit the track? On one of my videos as victory land is going on you can see haulers going down the front stretch towards turn 3, so I am assuming there was an access road off the back stretch? Was anyone allowed to camp in the field that sat behind turns 3 and 4? That is an interesting tidbit about the tax people at the track. I believe that was from the whole Carl Short and Rick and Don Gross mess. Did they tell you why you couldn't sell shirts out of your trailer?

There's not much behind turn 3-4. A water plant and at one race, I can remember them parking some haulers down there but that's about it. Haulers only ever exited out of turn 1. There wasn't much room for parking, mostly parked on the two lane rd near the track. Campers parked in the lot behind turns 1-2 and up the holler behind 1.

I tried attaching an aerial view of the track at this past weekend's bash at the speedway but it's not uploading.

Raceready
07-25-2016, 04:53 PM
There was an oil or gas lease road that went way up into the woods up a big hill .Lucky that I always brought a 4WD with me so I would set up camp up there. Once you were in there you may not get out until Monday because by the time they started racing everybody would block everyone else in to where ya just had to wait it out or we had the log skidder pull cars out of the way before. With the way the cars were pulled into the trees and bushes it reminded me of The Children of the Rainbow gatherings that they have when about 20,000 hippies meet every year in the national forests every year. Except I think the hippies were more organized ! After one was there once you figured out that if you have a 4 wheel drive it might be a good idea to bring it. I recall 1 year when old Black Jack Boggs ran into a mud hole to sling the car full of mud to make and he got stuck tighter than a drum and had to be towed on out !

DennisErbFan
07-25-2016, 07:35 PM
Aren't there some people trying to fix it up and open it?

MontanaMagic1619*
07-25-2016, 08:06 PM
I found these stats in my archives tonight that will show all of you the caliber of late model drivers that competed at Pennsboro for the eighteen years the place ran the DTWC. It's a Hall of Fame list with a few Nascrap drivers thrown in; and see if you can point them out.

MontanaMagic1619*
07-25-2016, 08:11 PM
PENNSBORO RESULTS IN OCTOBER
FOR THE DTWC ( 1981-1997 / 2001 )
18 races / 501 ( 27.83 avg cars started each race )
compiled yearly, last entry on 30 October 2001

RANK – DRIVER – RACES – AVG RACES – WINS -- TOP 5 – TOP 10

001) FREDDY SMITH ( 18 )......7.61.........18 – 4 – 11 – 12

002) Jack Boggs ( 16 ).......13.44..........16 – 3 – 4 – 7

003) Donnie Moran ( 15 ).......8.07.......15 – 1 – 9 – 10
004) Larry Moore ( 15 ).......11.67.......15 – 1 – 4 – 7

005) Charlie Swartz ( 14 ).......14.21.......14 – 1 – 5 – 6

006) Mike Balzano ( 13 ).......16.31........13 – 0 – 1 – 4

007) Billy Moyer ( 12 ).......9.17...........12 – 2 – 7 – 8

008) John Mason ( 11 ).......11.27..........11 – 1 – 2 -- 7
009) Davey Johnson ( 11 ).......13.00..........11 – 0 – 4 – 5
010) Scott Bloomquist ( 11 ).......16.73..........11 – 0 – 1 – 3

011) Gary Stuhler ( 10 ).......8.40..........10 – 0 – 4 -- 8
012) Lynn Geisler ( 10 ).......15.10........10 – 0 – 3 – 5

013) Rodney Combs ( 9 ).......9.33..........9 – 0 – 4 – 6

014) Rick Eckert ( 8 ).......12.88..........8 – 0 – 1 – 5
015) Steve Francis ( 8 ).......16.12..........8 – 0 – 0 – 3

016) Mike Duvall ( 7 )..........10.86..........7 – 0 – 1 -- 3
017) Denny Chamberlain ( 7 ).......12.86..........7 – 0 – 0 -- 3
018) Bob Wearing Sr ( 7 )..........15.57..........7 – 0 – 0 -- 3
019) Ronnie Johnson ( 7 )..........16.00..........7 – 2 – 2 – 2

020) Buck Simmons ( 6 )..........11.17..........6 – 0 – 1 -- 4
021) Nathan Durboraw ( 6 ).......13.33...........6 – 0 – 1 -- 3
022) Steve Baker ( 6 )...........14.67..........6 – 0 – 0 -- 1
023) Bob Pierce ( 6 )..........19.33..........6 – 0 – 0 – 0

024) Steve Kosiski ( 5 )........11.20..........5 – 0 – 1 -- 3
025) Wendell Wallace ( 5 ).......11.40.......5 – 0 – 3 -- 3
026) Pat Patrick ( 5 ).......12.40..........5 – 0 – 1 -- 3
027) Bill Frye ( 5 )..........14.80..........5 – 0 – 0 -- 1
028) Booper Bare ( 5 ).......15.00..........5 – 0 – 0 -- 0
029) Rodney Franklin ( 5 ).......15.60..........5 – 0 – 1 -- 2
030) Larry Phillips ( 5 )..........15.80.......... 5 – 0 – 1 -- 2
031) Mark Banal ( 5 )........17.20.......5 – 0 – 0 -- 0
032) Mike Smith ( 5 )........19.20........5 – 0 – 0 – 0
033) John Gill ( 5 ).........22.00..........5 – 0 – 0 – 0

034) Chub Frank ( 4 ).......5.25..........4 – 0 – 3 – 3
035) Tim Hitt ( 4 )..........8.00..........4 – 0 – 0 -- 3
036) Todd Andrews ( 4 ).......10.50..........4 – 0 – 1 -- 2
037) Bart Hartman ( 4 ).......13.50..........4 – 1 – 1 -- 1
038) Jeff Purvis ( 4 ).......15.50..........4 – 0 – 1 -- 1
039) Ed Gibbons ( 4 ).........16.25.......4 – 0 – 1 -- 1
040) Wade Knowles ( 4 ).......17.00.......4 – 0 – 0 -- 0
041) Mike Johnson ( 4 ).......19.25.......4 – 0 – 0 – 0

042) Willy Kraft ( 3 ).......9.00..........3 – 0 – 1 -- 2
043) Russ Petro ( 3 ).......10.00........3 – 0 – 1 -- 2
044) Rick Aukland ( 3 ).......10.67..........3 – 0 – 0 -- 2
045) Rex Richey ( 3 ).......13.00..........3 – 0 – 1 -- 1
046) Jerry Inmon ( 3 ).......14.33..........3 – 0 – 1-- 1
047) Randy Boggs ( 3 ).......14.33..........3 – 0 – 0 -- 2
048) Jack Pennington ( 3 ).......14.33..........3 – 0 – 0 -- 1
049) Tom Helfrich ( 3 )..........14.67.......... 3 – 0 – 0 -- 0
050) B.A.Malcuit ( 3 )..........15.00..........3 – 0 – 0 -- 1
051) Delmas Conley ( 3 ).......17.33..........3 – 0 – 0 -- 1
052) Jackie Boggs ( 3 )........17.67..........3 – 0 – 0 -- 0
053) Don O’Neal ( 3 ).........19.00..........3 – 0 – 0 -- 1
054) Johnny Johnson ( 3 ).......19.67..........3 – 0 – 0 – 0
055) David Speer ( 3 ).......20.00..........3 – 0 – 0 -- 0
056) Rick Egersdorf ( 3 ).........21.00..........3 – 0 – 0 -- 0
057) Harold Redman ( 3 )........22.00..........3 – 0 – 0 -- 0
058) Jimmie Roan ( 3 ).........23.33..........3 – 0 – 0 – 0

059) Jim Dunn ( 2 )..........8.00...........2 – 1 – 1 -- 1
060) D1ck Potts ( 2 )..........8.00..........2 – 0 – 1 -- 1
061) Eddie Carrier Sr ( 2 ).......8.50.......2 – 0 – 0 -- 1
062) Paul Harris ( 2 ).........9.50..........2 – 0 – 0 -- 1
063) D1ck Barton ( 2 ).......10.50..........2 – 0 – 0 -- 1
064) Jim Hunt ( 2 )..........12.50..........2 -- 0 – 0 -- 1
065) Ron Davies ( 2 ).......12.50..........2 – 0 – 0 -- 1
066) Bob Salathe ( 2 ).......12.50..........2 – 0 – 0 -- 0
057) Doug Kenimer ( 2 ).......13.00........2 – 0 – 1 -- 1
058) Skip Arp ( 2 )........13.00.........2 – 0 – 1 -- 1
059) Chuck McWilliams ( 2 ).......13.00........2 – 0 – 0 -- 0
060) Paul Davis ( 2 ).......14.00..........2 – 0 – 0 -- 1
061) Marshall Green ( 2 ).......14.50.......2 – 1 – 1 -- 1
062) Jack Hewitt ( 2 ).......14.50.........2 – 0 – 1 -- 1
063) Joe Kosiski ( 2 ).......14.50.........2 – 0 – 0 -- 0
064) Steve Lucas ( 2 ).......15.50....... 2 – 0 – 1 -- 1
065) Fulmer Lance ( 2 ).......15.50.........2 – 0 – 0 -- 1
066) Steve Shaver ( 2 ).......17.50........2 – 0 – 0 -- 0
067) C.J.Rayburn ( 2 ).......18.00..........2 – 0 – 0 -- 0
068) Steve Barnett ( 2 ).......20.50........2 – 0 – 0 -- 0
069) Darrell Lanigan ( 2 )......21.00.......2 – 0 – 0 – 0
070) C.S.Fitzgerald ( 2 ).......21.50.......2 – 0 – 0 -- 0
071) Ray Godsey ( 2 ).......21.50...........2 – 0 – 0 -- 0
072) Kenny Brightbill ( 2 )......22.50.........2 – 0 – 0 -- 0

073) Brian Birkhofer ( 6th )
074) Leon Sells, Tom Peck, Ed Basey, Jeff Smith, Shannon Babb ( 7th )
079) Don Hobbs, Stan Lasky ( 9th )
081) Gary Balough, Randle Chupp, Bob Hershman, Tom Pauschert ( 10th )
085) Dave Hess Sr, Ed Ferree, Don Gross, Dan Schlieper ( 11th )
089) Gene McNeely, Cale Yarborough, Joel Wood ( 12th )
092) Kevin Gundaker, Bub James, Roy Miller ( 13th )
095) Frank Wilson, Gerald Dixon, Ray Guss Jr, Scott Cross ( 14th )
099) Danny Dean, Jimmy Allen, Joe Meadows, Clint Coffman ( 15th )
103) Jim Curry, Jesse Meadows, Tom Clise, Doug Hall, R.J.Conley, Rod Conley ( 16th )
109) Wally Hemminger, Gene Ferrell, Jim Vandenburg, Tom Hearst ( 17th )
113) Neil Bonnett, Kevin Claycomb, Rick Ren ( 18th )
116) Craig Spetman, Steve Smith ( 19th )
118) Mike Chisholm, Glenn Taylor, Bob Adams Jr, Bruce Hordusky, Ray Cook ( 20th )
123) Blackie Watt ( 21st )
124) Fred Strube, Paul Shafer, Noel Witcher, Dale Fischlein, Earl Smith, Bob Wearing Jr, Kevin Weaver, Dave Groves ( 22nd )
132) Leon Archer, Norm Benning Jr, Tyle Long, John Holt, Tim Newman, Craig Briggs, Aaron Scott, Steve Russell ( 23rd )
140) Ken Walton, Billy Hicks, Ryan Markham ( 24th )
143) Dusty Chapman, Ben Hess, Tom Usry, Johnny Stokes, Johnny Virden ( 25th )
148) Don Seaborn, Tom Harshman, Kenny Simpson ( 26th )
151) Gary Henry, Dhon Hauserman, Doug Osteen, Rob House ( 27th )
155) R.D.Jones, James Powell, Doug Dodd ( 28th )
158) Jimmy Mars ( 30th )
159) C.D.Pritchett ( 31st )

IZZOJR16
07-25-2016, 10:31 PM
do you have the yearly results as well? that would be really cool.

IZZOJR16
07-25-2016, 10:37 PM
anyone remember the p!ss buckets the drunks would use? seen a couple spill down the hill, so fn gross lolol. some wouldn't even bother and p!ss right down the hill, wonder how many people ended up with p1ss on the back of their clothes or sat right in it.

jlacey
07-25-2016, 10:43 PM
Theres quite a few names in there i havent heard in years. Alot of the WV and Ohio drivers i had never seen before at the time, whatever happened to 65 Doug Hall and the Smiths, Eddie and Mike the s1 and s2?

MontanaMagic1619*
07-26-2016, 01:31 AM
1) JIM DUNN 2) Rodney Combs 3) Doug Kenimer 4) Donnie Moran 5) Charlie Swartz 6) Jack Boggs 7) Steve Kosiski, 8) Pat Patrick 9) Buck Simmons 10) Bob Wearing Sr 11) Mike Duvall 12) Gene McNeely 13) Kevin Gundaker 14) Frank Wilson 15) Danny Dean 16) Freddy Smith 17) Wally Heminger 18) Neil Bonnett 19) Craig Spetman 20) Ray Godsey 21) Lynn Geisler 22) Larry Moore 23) Leon Archer 24) Ken Walton 25) David Speer 26) Don Seaborn 27) Gary Henry 28) R.D. Jones

1) CHARLIE SWARTZ 2) Jerry Inmon 3) John Mason 4) Steve Kosiski 5) Mike Duvall 6) Russ Petro 7) Lynn Geisler 8) Freddy Smith 9) Don Hobbs 10) Pat Patrick 11) Eddie Carrier Sr 12) Jack Boggs 13) Rodney Combs 14) Chuck McWilliams 15) Jim Dunn 16) Jim Curry 17) Jim Hunt 18) Rick Ren 19) Donnie Moran 20) Mike Chisholm 21) Blackie Watt 22) Fred Stube 23) Doug Kenimer 24) Bob Wearing Sr 25) Larry Phillips 26) Tom Harshman 27) Doug Hauserman 28) Larry Moore

1) FREDDY SMITH 2) Pat Patrick 3) Rodney Combs 4) Russ Petro 5) Donnie Moran 6) John Mason 7) Fulmer Lance 8) Jim Hunt 9) Lynn Geisler 10) Gary Balough 11) Dave Hess Sr 12) Chuck McWilliams 13) Jimmie Roan 14) Gerald Dixon 15) Joe Kosiski 16) Jeff Purvis 17) Gene Ferrell 18) Charlie Swartz 19) Larry Phillips 20) Jack Boggs 21) David Speer 22) Buck Simmons 23) Delmas Conley 24) Larry Moore 25) Dusty Chapman 26) Johnny Johnson 27) Kenny Brightbill 28) Jerry Inmon

1) JACK BOGGS 2) Larry Moore 3) Rodney Franklin 4) Larry Phillips 5) Gary Stuhler 6) Buck Simmons 7) Leon Sells 8) Bob Wearing Sr 9) John Mason 10) Tommy Pauschert 11) Freddy Smith 12) Cale Yarborough 13) Bubby James 14) David Speer 15) Bob Pierce 16) Jesse Meadows 17) Jim Vandenburg 18) Kenny Brightbill 19) Mike Smith 20) Glenn Taylor 21) Tom Helfrich 22) Paul Shafer 23) Norm Benning 24) Fulmer Lance 25) Lynn Geisler 26) Kenny Simpson 27) Doug Osteen 28) James Powell 29) Pat Patrick 30) Jimmie Roan 31) C.L. Pritchett

1) FREDDY SMITH 2) D1ck Potts 3) Rodney Combs 4) Lynn Geisler 5) Jack Hewitt 6) Denny Chamberlain 7) Tom Peck 8) Willy Kraft 9) Stan Lasley 10) John Mason 11) Larry Moore 12) Joel Wood 13) Pat Patrick 14) Joe Kosiski 15) Jimmy Allen 16) Tom Clise 17) Charlie Swartz 18) Jack Boggs 19) Mike Duvall 20) Russ Petro 21) Buck Simmons 22) Noel Witcher 23) Ray Godsey 24) Larry Phillips 25) Mike Balzano 26) Steve Barnett 27) Jimmie Roan 28) Mark Banal

1) BILLY MOYER 2) Willy Kraft 3) Jeff Purvis 4) Gary Stuhler 5) Freddy Smith 6) Mike Duvall 7) Buck Simmons 8) Larry Moore 9) Donnie Moran 10) Randy Boggs 11) Bob Wearing Sr 12) Steve Baker 13) Roy Miller 14) Ray Guss 15) Mark Banal 16) John Mason 17) Tom Hearst 18) Paul Davis 19) Rodney Franklin 20) Bob Adams Jr 21) Mike Balzano 22) Dale Fischlein 23) Tye Long 24) Harold Redman 25) Ben Hess 26) Mike Smith 27) Rick Egersdorf 28) Charlie Swartz 29) Rodney Combs 30) Jack Boggs

1) LARRY MOORE 2) Freddy Smith 3) Charlie Swartz 4) Donnie Moran 5) Billy Moyer 6) Davey Johnson 7) John Mason 8) Randy Boggs 9) Delmas Conley 10) Jack Pennington 11) Tom Helfrich 12) B.A. Malcuit 13) Jerry Inmon 14) D1ck Potts 15) Wade Knowles 16) Bob Pierce 17) Jack Boggs 18) Steve Kosiski 19) Steve Francis 20) Ed Gibbons 21) Jeff Purvis 22) Earl Smith 23) John Holt 24) Jack Hewitt 25) Tom Ursy 26) Scott Bloomquist

1) DONNIE MORAN 2) Gary Stuhler 3) Davey Johnson 4) Mike Balzano 5) Ed Gibbons 6) Billy Moyer 7) Steve Baker 8) Steve Kosiski 9) Jack Boggs 10) Rodney Combs 11) Ed Ferree 12) John Mason 13) C.J. Rayburn 14) Denny Chamberlain 15) Rick Aukland 16) Rick Egersdorf 17) Willy Kraft 18) Larry Moore 19) Wade Knowles 20) Freddy Smith 21) Bob Wearing Sr 22) Jeff Purvis 23) Charlie Swartz 24) Scott Bloomquist 25) Randy Boggs 26) Brad Malcuit

1) JOHN MASON 2) Charlie Swartz 3) Donnie Moran 4) Billy Moyer 5) Larry Moore 6) D1ck Barton 7) Larry Phillips 8) Mike Balzano 9) Rodney Combs 10) Bob Hershman 11) Don Gross 12) Todd Andrews 13) Nathan Durboraw 14) Steve Baker 15) Joe Meadows 16) Davey Johnson 17) Ron Davies 18) Scott Bloomquist 19) Mike Smith 20) Freddy Smith 21) Rodney Franklin 22) Steve Francis 23) Tim Newman 24) Booper Bare 25) John Gill 26) Lynn Geisler 27) Jack Boggs

1) JACK BOGGS 2) Buck Simmons 3) Freddy Smith 4) Charlie Swartz 5) Lynn Geisler 6) Eddie Carrier Sr 7) Brad Malcuit 8) Ron Davies 9) Gary Stuhler 10) Paul Davis 11) Donnie Moran 12) Larry Moore 13) Mike Balzano 14) Mark Banal 15) D1ck Barton 16) Denny Chamberlain 17) Bob Pierce 18) Billy Moyer 19) Steve Smith 20) Bruce Hordusky 21) Scott Bloomquist 22) John Mason 23) Harold Redman 24) Ronnie Johnson 25) Nathan Durboraw 26) John Gill 27) Bob Wearing Sr

1) FREDDY SMITH 2) Billy Moyer Jr 3) Rex Richey 4) Rodney Combs 5) Donnie Moran 6) John Mason 7) Larry Moore 8) Ed Basey 9) Bob Wearing Sr 10) Charlie Swartz 11) Nathan Durboraw 12) Wade Knowles 13) Tom Helfrich 14) Gary Stuhler 15) Ed Gibbons 16) Mike Duvall 17) Davey Johnson 18) Wendell Wallace 19) Bill Frye 20) Steve Kosiski 21) Delmas Conley 22) Jack Boggs 23) Bob Wearing Jr 24) Craig Briggs 25) Rick Eckert 26) Mike Balzano 27) Darrell Lanigan 28) Ronnie Johnson

1) RONNIE JOHNSON 2) Freddy Smith 3) Donnie Moran 4) Chub Frank 5) Billy Moyer 6) Larry Moore 7) Paul Harris 8) Steve Francis 9) Rodney Franklin 10) Denny Chamberlain 11) Rodney Combs 12) Mike Duvall 13) Mike Balzano 14) Booper Bare 15) Johnny Johnson 16) Darrell Lanigan 17) Rick Eckert 18) Mike Smith 19) Scott Bloomquist 20) Jack Boggs 21) Charlie Swartz 22) Bob Pierce 23) Rex Richey 24) Mike Johnson 25) Davey Johnson 26) Ed Gibbons

1) FREDDY SMITH 2) Chub Frank 3) Jack Boggs 4) Davey Johnson 5) Lynn Geisler 6) Gary Stuhler 7) Nathan Durboraw 8) Rick Eckert 9) Bill Frye 10) John Mason 11) Booper Bare 12) Mark Banal 13) Donnie Moran 14) Larry Moore 15) Steve Barnett 16) Steve Shaver 17) John Gill 18) Kevin Claycomb 19) Scott Bloomquist 20) Charlie Swartz 21) Bob Pierce 22) Kevin Weaver 23) Aaron Scott 24) Billy Moyer 25) Ronnie Johnson 26) Denny Chamberlain 27) Mike Balzano 28) Don O'Neal

1) RONNIE JOHNSON 2) Davey Johnson 3) Freddy Smith 4) Donnie Moran 5) Nathan Durboraw 6) Tim Hitt 7) Gary Stuhler 8) Don O'Neal 9) Steve Francis 10) Randle Chupp 11) Bob Salathe 12) Chub Frank 13) Billy Moyer 14) Booper Bare 15) Larry Moore 16) Doug Hall 17) Bill Frye 18) Scott Bloomquist 19) Bart Hartman 20) Lynn Geisler 21) Mike Balzano 22) Steve Baker 23) John Gill 24) Rick Eckert 25) Johnny Stokes 26) Rodney Franklin

1) JACK BOGGS 2) Donnie Moran 3) Larry Moore 4) Gary Stuhler 5) Billy Moyer 6) Tim Hitt 7) Rick Aukland 8) Mike Balzano 9) Todd Andrews 10) Rick Eckert 11) Denny Chamberlain 12) Ronnie Johnson 13) Steve Baker 14) Mike Smith 15) Bill Frye 16) Steve Francis 17) Bart Hartman 18) Freddy Smith 19) John Gill 20) Nathan Durboraw 21) Don O'Neal 22) Dave Groves 23) Scott Bloomquist 24) Mike Johnson 25) Davey Johnson 26) Charlie Swartz 27) Wendell Wallace

1) BILLY MOYER 2) Rick Eckert 3) Davey Johnson 4) Freddy Smith 5) Wendell Wallace 6) Gary Stuhler, 7) Denny Chamberlain 8) Scott Bloomquist 9) Tim Hitt 10) Rick Aukland 11) Mike Balzano 12) Jack Pennington 13) Rex Richey 14) Bob Salathe 15) Mike Johnson 16) Donnie Moran 17) C.S. Fitzgerald 18) Todd Andrews 19) Steve Shaver 20) Jack Boggs 21) Steve Francis 22) Charlie Swartz 23) C.J. Rayburn 24) Billy Hicks 25) Bob Pierce 26) Steve Lucas 27) Jackie Boggs 28) Doug Dodd

1) MARSHALL GREEN 2) Freddy Smith 3) Todd Andrews 4) Wendell Wallace 5) Skip Arp 6) Scott Bloomquist 7) Jeff Smith 8) Mike Duvall 9) Jack Boggs 10) Rick Eckert 11) Tim Hitt 12) Paul Harris 13) Jackie Boggs 14) Mike Johnson 15) Bill Frye 16) R.J. Conley 17) Bart Hartman 18) Davey Johnson 19) Harold Redman 20) Steve Baker 21) Jack Pennington 22) Ronnie Johnson 23) Wade Knowles 24) Steve Francis 25) Johnny Virden 26) C.S. Fitzgerald 27) Mike Balzano 28) Gary Stuhler

1) BART HARTMAN 2) Scott Bloomquist 3) Chub Frank 4) Wendell Wallace 5) Steve Lucas 6) Brian Birkhofer 7) Shannon Babb 8) Rick Eckert 9) Mike Balzano 10) Steve Francis 11) Dan Schlieper 12) Booper Bare 13) Jackie Boggs 14) Scott Cross 15) Clint Coffman 16) Rod Conley 17) Mark Banal 18) Johnny Johnson 19) Freddy Smith 20) Ray Cook 21) Skip Arp 22) Donnie Moran 23) Steve Russell 24) Ryan Markham 25) Davey Johnson 26) Billy Moyer 27) Rob House 28) Marshall Green 29) Lynn Geisler 30) Jimmy Mars

zyoung25
07-26-2016, 05:44 AM
I was there in 94 & 95. I was about 9 or 10 years old. I don't remember much from it. I do remember Johnson and Boggs winning those years. I also remember seeing a few Porta shatters lit up. The party was definitely better than the racing from what I remember.

Cleetus Motorsports
07-26-2016, 07:59 AM
Did Norm Benning lead the 84 race then he broke? We seen him last year at a car show and he told us that he was leading at Pennsboro and broke so I assume 1984 would have been the year.

jlacey
07-26-2016, 12:21 PM
I was there in 94 & 95. I was about 9 or 10 years old. I don't remember much from it. I do remember Johnson and Boggs winning those years. I also remember seeing a few Porta shatters lit up. The party was definitely better than the racing from what I remember.

Ill have to go n find the old programs i have from when i went but im pretty sure 94 and 95 were the 1st 2 years i went. Only got to see timetrials and heats then features were pushed back bc of rain both years. The following year we were able to see the whole show when Marshall Green won.

DoubleZero
07-26-2016, 12:47 PM
Cale Yarborough finished 12th in 1984...who's car was he driving?

edavis71
07-26-2016, 12:57 PM
Excellent stuff as usual Montana!!!

chupp n bloomer fan
07-26-2016, 12:57 PM
Theres quite a few names in there i havent heard in years. Alot of the WV and Ohio drivers i had never seen before at the time, whatever happened to 65 Doug Hall and the Smiths, Eddie and Mike the s1 and s2?The S1, shady Mike I believe, is outta prison and was trying to race again. He was at the DTWC in about 2012-2013? Not very good, but nice stuff.

chupp n bloomer fan
07-26-2016, 12:59 PM
Excellent stuff as usual Montana!!!He!!, I just like that MM likes Alice in Chains "Rooster".

But yep, as usual, MM comes through again. Glad you're still around MM. Huge asset to 4m and us that like the stats and knowledge you have.

jlacey
07-26-2016, 01:36 PM
The S1, shady Mike I believe, is outta prison and was trying to race again. He was at the DTWC in about 2012-2013? Not very good, but nice stuff.

Thanks. I didnt know much about the driver i just liked the team cars with Eddie (his father?) I think the same year Jerry and Joe Rice were running the ZR1 and ZR2 cars.

MontanaMagic1619*
07-26-2016, 01:50 PM
Cale Yarborough finished 12th in 1984...who's car was he driving?

Double Zero, Cale drove an SR1 Camaro that Rodney Combs had built, and if memory serves this 67 year old clown, I think it was a car that Mike Smith was piloting, it was a one time shot, but hey, Cale was comeptitive all day till the last twenty or so laps.

And yes chupp, never thought a guy in his mid 40's would ever hear a band that was almost as good as the Doors could get me interested in music again, but Layne and Jimmy could, their music was unbelieveable in my opinion, and the Rooster has special meaning for me

And thanks as always Eric my friend, guys like you are why I do it, although I had all this done fifteen yrs ago, luckily I found all of it in my archives, and I do mean archives ! :)

chupp n bloomer fan
07-26-2016, 01:53 PM
Thanks. I didnt know much about the driver i just liked the team cars with Eddie (his father?) I think the same year Jerry and Joe Rice were running the ZR1 and ZR2 cars.Not sure, I thought brothers, but you may be right. They had nice sh!t at the Boro too, beautiful stuff. Won't get to far into it, but they owned a pipeline company, and went to prison in the end. Not sure if they all did, just know a little about it.

jlacey
07-26-2016, 04:17 PM
Gotcha. I never met or saw either driver, i saw older pics of Eddies car from Pennsboro in the 80s and didnt see Mikes until the 90s. So i just assumed they were father and son

HokAE
07-26-2016, 05:13 PM
Cale Yarborough finished 12th in 1984...who's car was he driving?Double Zero, Cale drove an SR1 Camaro that Rodney Combs had built, and if memory serves this 67 year old clown, I think it was a car that Mike Smith was piloting, it was a one time shot, but hey, Cale was comeptitive all day till the last twenty or so laps. And yes chupp, never thought a guy in his mid 40's would ever hear a band that was almost as good as the Doors could get me interested in music again, but Layne and Jimmy could, their music was unbelieveable in my opinion, and the Rooster has special meaning for meAnd thanks as always Eric my friend, guys like you are why I do it, although I had all this done fifteen yrs ago, luckily I found all of it in my archives, and I do mean archives ! :)Granted I was only 8 or so at the time, I seem to recall Cale driving a second Racin John Mason car, a #72y. I have a picture of the car somewhere...

bleedblue55
07-26-2016, 05:26 PM
Thanks. I didnt know much about the driver i just liked the team cars with Eddie (his father?) I think the same year Jerry and Joe Rice were running the ZR1 and ZR2 cars.
Pretty sure Eddie Smith was Mike's Uncle.

GA-DIRT
07-26-2016, 05:54 PM
Granted I was only 8 or so at the time, I seem to recall Cale driving a second Racin John Mason car, a #72y. I have a picture of the car somewhere...

That's what I was thinking,an Neil Bonnet was in a D. Moran car hard to remember.

IZZOJR16
07-26-2016, 07:39 PM
1981 1) JIM DUNN 2) Rodney Combs 3) Doug Kenimer 4) Donnie Moran 5) Charlie Swartz 6) Jack Boggs 7) Steve Kosiski, 8) Pat Patrick 9) Buck Simmons 10) Bob Wearing Sr 11) Mike Duvall 12) Gene McNeely 13) Kevin Gundaker 14) Frank Wilson 15) Danny Dean 16) Freddy Smith 17) Wally Heminger 18) Neil Bonnett 19) Craig Spetman 20) Ray Godsey 21) Lynn Geisler 22) Larry Moore 23) Leon Archer 24) Ken Walton 25) David Speer 26) Don Seaborn 27) Gary Henry 28) R.D. Jones 1982 1) CHARLIE SWARTZ 2) Jerry Inmon 3) John Mason 4) Steve Kosiski 5) Mike Duvall 6) Russ Petro 7) Lynn Geisler 8) Freddy Smith 9) Don Hobbs 10) Pat Patrick 11) Eddie Carrier Sr 12) Jack Boggs 13) Rodney Combs 14) Chuck McWilliams 15) Jim Dunn 16) Jim Curry 17) Jim Hunt 18) Rick Ren 19) Donnie Moran 20) Mike Chisholm 21) Blackie Watt 22) Fred Stube 23) Doug Kenimer 24) Bob Wearing Sr 25) Larry Phillips 26) Tom Harshman 27) Doug Hauserman 28) Larry Moore 1983 1) FREDDY SMITH 2) Pat Patrick 3) Rodney Combs 4) Russ Petro 5) Donnie Moran 6) John Mason 7) Fulmer Lance 8) Jim Hunt 9) Lynn Geisler 10) Gary Balough 11) Dave Hess Sr 12) Chuck McWilliams 13) Jimmie Roan 14) Gerald Dixon 15) Joe Kosiski 16) Jeff Purvis 17) Gene Ferrell 18) Charlie Swartz 19) Larry Phillips 20) Jack Boggs 21) David Speer 22) Buck Simmons 23) Delmas Conley 24) Larry Moore 25) Dusty Chapman 26) Johnny Johnson 27) Kenny Brightbill 28) Jerry Inmon 1984 1) JACK BOGGS 2) Larry Moore 3) Rodney Franklin 4) Larry Phillips 5) Gary Stuhler 6) Buck Simmons 7) Leon Sells 8) Bob Wearing Sr 9) John Mason 10) Tommy Pauschert 11) Freddy Smith 12) Cale Yarborough 13) Bubby James 14) David Speer 15) Bob Pierce 16) Jesse Meadows 17) Jim Vandenburg 18) Kenny Brightbill 19) Mike Smith 20) Glenn Taylor 21) Tom Helfrich 22) Paul Shafer 23) Norm Benning 24) Fulmer Lance 25) Lynn Geisler 26) Kenny Simpson 27) Doug Osteen 28) James Powell 29) Pat Patrick 30) Jimmie Roan 31) C.L. Pritchett 1985 1) FREDDY SMITH 2) D1ck Potts 3) Rodney Combs 4) Lynn Geisler 5) Jack Hewitt 6) Denny Chamberlain 7) Tom Peck 8) Willy Kraft 9) Stan Lasley 10) John Mason 11) Larry Moore 12) Joel Wood 13) Pat Patrick 14) Joe Kosiski 15) Jimmy Allen 16) Tom Clise 17) Charlie Swartz 18) Jack Boggs 19) Mike Duvall 20) Russ Petro 21) Buck Simmons 22) Noel Witcher 23) Ray Godsey 24) Larry Phillips 25) Mike Balzano 26) Steve Barnett 27) Jimmie Roan 28) Mark Banal 1986 1) BILLY MOYER 2) Willy Kraft 3) Jeff Purvis 4) Gary Stuhler 5) Freddy Smith 6) Mike Duvall 7) Buck Simmons 8) Larry Moore 9) Donnie Moran 10) Randy Boggs 11) Bob Wearing Sr 12) Steve Baker 13) Roy Miller 14) Ray Guss 15) Mark Banal 16) John Mason 17) Tom Hearst 18) Paul Davis 19) Rodney Franklin 20) Bob Adams Jr 21) Mike Balzano 22) Dale Fischlein 23) Tye Long 24) Harold Redman 25) Ben Hess 26) Mike Smith 27) Rick Egersdorf 28) Charlie Swartz 29) Rodney Combs 30) Jack Boggs 1987 1) LARRY MOORE 2) Freddy Smith 3) Charlie Swartz 4) Donnie Moran 5) Billy Moyer 6) Davey Johnson 7) John Mason 8) Randy Boggs 9) Delmas Conley 10) Jack Pennington 11) Tom Helfrich 12) B.A. Malcuit 13) Jerry Inmon 14) D1ck Potts 15) Wade Knowles 16) Bob Pierce 17) Jack Boggs 18) Steve Kosiski 19) Steve Francis 20) Ed Gibbons 21) Jeff Purvis 22) Earl Smith 23) John Holt 24) Jack Hewitt 25) Tom Ursy 26) Scott Bloomquist 1988 1) DONNIE MORAN 2) Gary Stuhler 3) Davey Johnson 4) Mike Balzano 5) Ed Gibbons 6) Billy Moyer 7) Steve Baker 8) Steve Kosiski 9) Jack Boggs 10) Rodney Combs 11) Ed Ferree 12) John Mason 13) C.J. Rayburn 14) Denny Chamberlain 15) Rick Aukland 16) Rick Egersdorf 17) Willy Kraft 18) Larry Moore 19) Wade Knowles 20) Freddy Smith 21) Bob Wearing Sr 22) Jeff Purvis 23) Charlie Swartz 24) Scott Bloomquist 25) Randy Boggs 26) Brad Malcuit 1989 1) JOHN MASON 2) Charlie Swartz 3) Donnie Moran 4) Billy Moyer 5) Larry Moore 6) D1ck Barton 7) Larry Phillips 8) Mike Balzano 9) Rodney Combs 10) Bob Hershman 11) Don Gross 12) Todd Andrews 13) Nathan Durboraw 14) Steve Baker 15) Joe Meadows 16) Davey Johnson 17) Ron Davies 18) Scott Bloomquist 19) Mike Smith 20) Freddy Smith 21) Rodney Franklin 22) Steve Francis 23) Tim Newman 24) Booper Bare 25) John Gill 26) Lynn Geisler 27) Jack Boggs 1990 1) JACK BOGGS 2) Buck Simmons 3) Freddy Smith 4) Charlie Swartz 5) Lynn Geisler 6) Eddie Carrier Sr 7) Brad Malcuit 8) Ron Davies 9) Gary Stuhler 10) Paul Davis 11) Donnie Moran 12) Larry Moore 13) Mike Balzano 14) Mark Banal 15) D1ck Barton 16) Denny Chamberlain 17) Bob Pierce 18) Billy Moyer 19) Steve Smith 20) Bruce Hordusky 21) Scott Bloomquist 22) John Mason 23) Harold Redman 24) Ronnie Johnson 25) Nathan Durboraw 26) John Gill 27) Bob Wearing Sr 1991 1) FREDDY SMITH 2) Billy Moyer Jr 3) Rex Richey 4) Rodney Combs 5) Donnie Moran 6) John Mason 7) Larry Moore 8) Ed Basey 9) Bob Wearing Sr 10) Charlie Swartz 11) Nathan Durboraw 12) Wade Knowles 13) Tom Helfrich 14) Gary Stuhler 15) Ed Gibbons 16) Mike Duvall 17) Davey Johnson 18) Wendell Wallace 19) Bill Frye 20) Steve Kosiski 21) Delmas Conley 22) Jack Boggs 23) Bob Wearing Jr 24) Craig Briggs 25) Rick Eckert 26) Mike Balzano 27) Darrell Lanigan 28) Ronnie Johnson 1992 1) RONNIE JOHNSON 2) Freddy Smith 3) Donnie Moran 4) Chub Frank 5) Billy Moyer 6) Larry Moore 7) Paul Harris 8) Steve Francis 9) Rodney Franklin 10) Denny Chamberlain 11) Rodney Combs 12) Mike Duvall 13) Mike Balzano 14) Booper Bare 15) Johnny Johnson 16) Darrell Lanigan 17) Rick Eckert 18) Mike Smith 19) Scott Bloomquist 20) Jack Boggs 21) Charlie Swartz 22) Bob Pierce 23) Rex Richey 24) Mike Johnson 25) Davey Johnson 26) Ed Gibbons 1993 1) FREDDY SMITH 2) Chub Frank 3) Jack Boggs 4) Davey Johnson 5) Lynn Geisler 6) Gary Stuhler 7) Nathan Durboraw 8) Rick Eckert 9) Bill Frye 10) John Mason 11) Booper Bare 12) Mark Banal 13) Donnie Moran 14) Larry Moore 15) Steve Barnett 16) Steve Shaver 17) John Gill 18) Kevin Claycomb 19) Scott Bloomquist 20) Charlie Swartz 21) Bob Pierce 22) Kevin Weaver 23) Aaron Scott 24) Billy Moyer 25) Ronnie Johnson 26) Denny Chamberlain 27) Mike Balzano 28) Don O'Neal 1994 1) RONNIE JOHNSON 2) Davey Johnson 3) Freddy Smith 4) Donnie Moran 5) Nathan Durboraw 6) Tim Hitt 7) Gary Stuhler 8) Don O'Neal 9) Steve Francis 10) Randle Chupp 11) Bob Salathe 12) Chub Frank 13) Billy Moyer 14) Booper Bare 15) Larry Moore 16) Doug Hall 17) Bill Frye 18) Scott Bloomquist 19) Bart Hartman 20) Lynn Geisler 21) Mike Balzano 22) Steve Baker 23) John Gill 24) Rick Eckert 25) Johnny Stokes 26) Rodney Franklin 1995 1) JACK BOGGS 2) Donnie Moran 3) Larry Moore 4) Gary Stuhler 5) Billy Moyer 6) Tim Hitt 7) Rick Aukland 8) Mike Balzano 9) Todd Andrews 10) Rick Eckert 11) Denny Chamberlain 12) Ronnie Johnson 13) Steve Baker 14) Mike Smith 15) Bill Frye 16) Steve Francis 17) Bart Hartman 18) Freddy Smith 19) John Gill 20) Nathan Durboraw 21) Don O'Neal 22) Dave Groves 23) Scott Bloomquist 24) Mike Johnson 25) Davey Johnson 26) Charlie Swartz 27) Wendell Wallace 1996 1) BILLY MOYER 2) Rick Eckert 3) Davey Johnson 4) Freddy Smith 5) Wendell Wallace 6) Gary Stuhler, 7) Denny Chamberlain 8) Scott Bloomquist 9) Tim Hitt 10) Rick Aukland 11) Mike Balzano 12) Jack Pennington 13) Rex Richey 14) Bob Salathe 15) Mike Johnson 16) Donnie Moran 17) C.S. Fitzgerald 18) Todd Andrews 19) Steve Shaver 20) Jack Boggs 21) Steve Francis 22) Charlie Swartz 23) C.J. Rayburn 24) Billy Hicks 25) Bob Pierce 26) Steve Lucas 27) Jackie Boggs 28) Doug Dodd 1997 1) MARSHALL GREEN 2) Freddy Smith 3) Todd Andrews 4) Wendell Wallace 5) Skip Arp 6) Scott Bloomquist 7) Jeff Smith 8) Mike Duvall 9) Jack Boggs 10) Rick Eckert 11) Tim Hitt 12) Paul Harris 13) Jackie Boggs 14) Mike Johnson 15) Bill Frye 16) R.J. Conley 17) Bart Hartman 18) Davey Johnson 19) Harold Redman 20) Steve Baker 21) Jack Pennington 22) Ronnie Johnson 23) Wade Knowles 24) Steve Francis 25) Johnny Virden 26) C.S. Fitzgerald 27) Mike Balzano 28) Gary Stuhler 2001 1) BART HARTMAN 2) Scott Bloomquist 3) Chub Frank 4) Wendell Wallace 5) Steve Lucas 6) Brian Birkhofer 7) Shannon Babb 8) Rick Eckert 9) Mike Balzano 10) Steve Francis 11) Dan Schlieper 12) Booper Bare 13) Jackie Boggs 14) Scott Cross 15) Clint Coffman 16) Rod Conley 17) Mark Banal 18) Johnny Johnson 19) Freddy Smith 20) Ray Cook 21) Skip Arp 22) Donnie Moran 23) Steve Russell 24) Ryan Markham 25) Davey Johnson 26) Billy Moyer 27) Rob House 28) Marshall Green 29) Lynn Geisler 30) Jimmy Mars ty soooooooooo much MAGIC, you made my day. Magic have you ever thought of having your own website, so you could post all your statistics, stats and ,finishes to races????? that would be AWESOME! or at least maybe you could get your own section on 4mer.

rds10378
07-26-2016, 09:25 PM
Gotcha. I never met or saw either driver, i saw older pics of Eddies car from Pennsboro in the 80s and didnt see Mikes until the 90s. So i just assumed they were father and son

They are father and son.