PDA

View Full Version : Why was Santa Fe speedway so popular.

billdirt
07-21-2016, 03:35 PM
Why was the Fe. always packed. Was it the racing or the people or both.

HoosierDirtFan
07-21-2016, 04:06 PM
Why was the Fe. always packed. Was it the racing or the people or both.

I think more than anything it was due to the promoter Howard Tidt < (spelling?). He was one he!! of a promoter. Everthing from STARS series race to the World of Outlaws Sprints, AMA Flat Track Bikes, and more. Racing was good there. Every once in a while some NASCAR stars would show up. The Stroh's National Clay Track Championship 200 was always a good race and attracted some of the nationals top stars. For me I will never for get the 1990 race with the BIG one 18+ car pile up < wish some one had video and post it. I have a few pictures but I don't know to post the large images here instead of the little pictures at the bottom of the page you have to click on.

HoosierDirtFan
07-21-2016, 04:11 PM
Here is 1 of the 3 pictures I have from that big wreck. Won't let me post pictures over 157MB.

Cardirt0
07-21-2016, 04:47 PM
Run Right, Seating was Good, Track was Good ,Food was Not Bad... Lots of Cars ( Drivers They liked the track and the Guy that run it ) Lots of parking... He was Not afraid too try Bike racing, Sprints, Mods, Late Models.........I think he try to run Air planes if he could ... Track was In a Great place.....

RRRKKK
07-21-2016, 05:02 PM
12,000 to win 200 laps, I remember that wreck lucky no one was seriously hurt

MUD MAESTRO
07-21-2016, 11:11 PM
corrected me if Im wrong.....HOFamer Gary Webb was in the middle of that pile up..... If you weren't a Chicago land driver, you were in for a battle to keep the car straight.
Another interesting Chicago venue was racing at Soldiers field.

Cardirt0
07-21-2016, 11:26 PM
corrected me if Im wrong.....HOFamer Gary Webb was in the middle of that pile up..... If you weren't a Chicago land driver, you were in for a battle to keep the car straight.

Bears getting good killed the racing.....

HoosierDirtFan
07-21-2016, 11:50 PM

Yes Gary Webb (red #56) was in the accident along with Tom Rients (red #49), Bob Pohlman Jr. (Green / white #27), Steve Pastva (white / yellow #77), Gibby Steinhause (Sky blue / white #21 I believe), along with a host of others. Pete Parker #10 was there that day as well. Don't remember if he was involved in the wreck or not though.

weatherman85
07-22-2016, 02:43 PM
Found this on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgexQM_VL7Q

Regular Show taping I believe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKMROCncSNs