PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Bellhousing

Nez7
07-25-2016, 11:19 AM
I have a 14 Rocket with Carbon Fiber Driveshaft, 600hp steel motor, 1st Gen bert ballspline tranny. I have broke both an alum. bert bellhousing and the quarter master Mag. bellhousing. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if you have a solution. Thanks.

95shaw
07-25-2016, 02:15 PM
Have you checked the alignment of the crankshaft with the trans locating hole? If block has been linebored, alignment can be off far enough to cause bind. will also wear the splines in the coupler.

billetbirdcage
07-25-2016, 02:36 PM
I have a 14 Rocket with Carbon Fiber Driveshaft, 600hp steel motor, 1st Gen bert ballspline tranny. I have broke both an alum. bert bellhousing and the quarter master Mag. bellhousing. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if you have a solution. Thanks.

Are you causing a crack from the belt opening on top for the dry sump to or thru the starter hole?

I'd look at wrong driveshaft length (too long or too short) and either pushing or pulling on the transmission side ways or up/down and causing the bell housing to break. It's common to break them if you lose a 6th coil chain, torque arm, and/or driveshaft as it will push/pull the back of the trans one way or the other and crack the bell housing which is similar to wrong driveshaft topping out or bottoming out.

Also could be binding u-joint from excessive movement, not all driveshafts have the same amount of compliance before they hit. If it has aluminum ends on drive shaft look for marks on rear end side of driveshaft wear it's contacting the inside for the rear end yoke. if they bind it could be pulling or pushing on trans also.

RCJ
07-25-2016, 03:35 PM
Mine has cracked by the dry sump.We weld a gusset in when it was repaired.I don't think it's uncommon for them to crack, as the guy welding mine has did several.I,m running a carbon from Fast Shafts ,they have extra clearance around the u joints.

Nez7
07-25-2016, 03:41 PM
ok thanks I will take a look at this tonight

Nez7
07-26-2016, 07:32 AM
It is cracking through the top web and down threw the starter opening

Lizardracing
07-26-2016, 03:49 PM
Could it be missing the bolt behind the starter?

billetbirdcage
07-26-2016, 05:41 PM
Could it be missing the bolt behind the starter?

I've never installed the bolt ever or has many of the guys I've helped over the last 20 years and only times I've ever seen them break is from a wreck where the car jerked hard (probably slinging the tail end of trans sideways enough to break the bell-housing), when there was a drive line failure that did the same jerking on trans, or wrong driveshaft or something causing the said jerking effect on the back of trans.

Probably not a bad Ideal to install it, but I've never seen it cause the breakage but doesn't mean it won't but I've just never seen it.

Matt49
07-26-2016, 08:36 PM
I've never installed the bolt ever or has many of the guys I've helped over the last 20 years and only times I've ever seen them break is from a wreck where the car jerked hard (probably slinging the tail end of trans sideways enough to break the bell-housing), when there was a drive line failure that did the same jerking on trans, or wrong driveshaft or something causing the said jerking effect on the back of trans.

Probably not a bad Ideal to install it, but I've never seen it cause the breakage but doesn't mean it won't but I've just never seen it.

I also have never installed the bolt behind the starter. I don't think this is an issue.

7uptruckracer
07-27-2016, 10:36 AM
Its a first Gen Bert isn't this the one with the output shaft problem with the short splines guys? that even if you have the 8" yoke you will bottom it out on the splines?

RCJ
07-27-2016, 11:33 AM
I install the bolt and had 1 crack.I had a bert that didn't have long enough splines also,ran it in a street stock.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-27-2016, 11:47 AM
Its a first Gen Bert isn't this the one with the output shaft problem with the short splines guys? that even if you have the 8" yoke you will bottom it out on the splines?

Its a ballspine, not regular.

Lizardracing
07-27-2016, 12:03 PM

I bought mine on the cheap with that trans. I welded it then milled it flat and checked for squareness. I was told the missing bolt behind the starter was a possible cause and it seemed legit although the trans had a heli-coil tang left in it from a botched side cover repair and broke the main shaft gear.
I don't take it out often enough to warrant not using the extra bolt but you've no doubt seen more of these than me. Thanks for the input.