PDA

View Full Version : engine stumble at higher rpms

racinjason29
07-25-2016, 05:02 PM
This past weekend I experienced my engine stumbling as I approached higher rpms. For example, when I shift into high gear I rev the engine to 3000-3500 and it wants to stumble and quit. Also when I clear the carb it wants to quit.
Fuel pressure is 7 pounds
running 93 octane 604 crate

Could it be the plugs? it is hard to start at times.

Fox_hunter42
07-25-2016, 06:54 PM
sounds like a carb issue,

racinjason29
07-26-2016, 04:48 AM
I plan on this week having the carb gone through, as well as changing the fuel filter, and spark plugs. If its not these three Id imagine maybe a fuel pump or battery voltage issue.
I was just curious if anyone else has had this type of problem?

Dirtman29
07-26-2016, 06:57 AM
Yes, had this same issue on a friends ministock opening nite, removed the fuel filter (was full of deteriorated fuel cell foam) and problem solved!

racinjason29
08-04-2016, 01:13 PM
I changed the fuel filter and the spark plugs. I'm gonna see how that goes this Saturday, if it doesn't solve it my next step is to look into the carb and fuel pump.
I'm also going to check and make sure I'm getting the proper voltage.

JustAddDirt
08-04-2016, 01:48 PM
check battery with a voltmeter now. should be more than 12 + volts
check while it is running should be 11-12
11 being lowest
have another battery ready to try.
does motor crank /start easily or is it sluggish?

Where your old plugs black and sooty? If so you may be rich on fuel mixture.
Was system ever dynoed, chassis or engine?
could be a coil breaking down as well.

stock car driver
08-04-2016, 07:28 PM
I changed the fuel filter and the spark plugs. I'm gonna see how that goes this Saturday, if it doesn't solve it my next step is to look into the carb and fuel pump.
I'm also going to check and make sure I'm getting the proper voltage.

no chassis dyno within a few hours of you? a chassis dyno is a lot cheaper than towing to a track and having poor results week after week

racinjason29
08-10-2016, 04:17 PM
The plugs were black and sort of sooty. Looks like it was a little rich. On starting it isn't real sluggish but it does take it several cranks to get started. I was going racing this past Saturday to test it out but we got rained out

mod24b
08-13-2016, 06:26 PM
The plugs were black and sort of sooty. Looks like it was a little rich. On starting it isn't real sluggish but it does take it several cranks to get started. I was going racing this past Saturday to test it out but we got rained outthe power valve in your carb is bad --or is the wrong size

70satomic
02-05-2017, 05:34 AM
Possible power valve in the carb, change the coil just some ideas