PDA

View Full Version : Just starting. Need setup help

ccurtis74
07-31-2016, 07:15 PM
I'm new to the dirt side of racing. After 15 years on the pavement in various cars I've decided to switch over to dirt for a new challenge. I picked up a 2006 Shaw car for a start. It was setup as 3 link on a swing arm. Since then I've decided to switch over to a full 4 link. So I picked up a different rear end housing complete with port city bird cages and everything. Well now I'm following the shaw setup guide and trying to set ride heights. I am setup with coil over in front on RR and shock ahead on LR with coil over eliminator on rear. When I set my ride heights I am having an issue that is got me stumped. If I set the chassis on jacks and hook all 4 bars up then set both sides at ride height I'm good. But as soon as I hook up the RR shock/spring and set to ride height it holds the LR up almost 2" too high. I can leave LR shock and spring unhooked and still sit above ride height. But as soon as I unhook RR everything moves like it should. If I hook up LR shock it does hold the car up about 1/2". I'm lost at this point. It's like there is not enough weight on the rear of the car. But this 4 link over slung is so much different than what I'm used to. Can someone help a poor little rookie out.

oldtrackchamp4x
08-02-2016, 07:24 PM
Give Kevin Shaw a call at 870-251-2966. JMO

Confused?
08-03-2016, 09:11 AM
Kevin is always very helpful, even with people that do not run his cars. Call him.

Lizardracing
08-03-2016, 03:09 PM
Sounds like the wrong spring or shock or something like that.

ccurtis74
08-03-2016, 06:07 PM
Well it ended up being something simple. Over thinking the whole thing got me in trouble. Never paid much attention to the other corner weights because I had only been working on the rear end. Well turns out I would be surprised if the car had 30% cross weight in it. I ended up putting over 10 turns of wedge in the car all the way around and getting the car to sit where it needs!! Thanks for the suggestions. Just a rookie mistake. Overwhelming myself and not thinking with my head!