PDA

View Full Version : For those at Fairbury for the Prairie Dirt Classic. How would you rate the weekend?

HoosierDirtFan
07-31-2016, 11:07 PM
For those at Fairbury for the WOO LMS 27th Annual Prairie Dirt Classic & Summit Modified Nationals weekend. How would you rate the entire race weekend experience?
- - - - -
I think both classes put on one he!! of a show; Heats, B-Mains, Features, ect where great. The racing as usual at FALS was incredible. 3, 4, & sometimes 5 wide. It was fun watching Erb try and get by Richards the last 10-15 laps. Those 2 sure made it entertaining especially in lapped traffic. I think between both classes there where at least 6 or 7 cars upside down over the weekend. I don't know how they do it but year after year this race has to be one of the best race weekend for Super Late Models anywhere in the U.S.

turnleftandgasit
07-31-2016, 11:26 PM
I don't think it has a chance at race of the year, but a solid 8.5 for the weekend. Had a great time as always, and am already looking forward to next year.

#FALSuperman
07-31-2016, 11:45 PM
I give it the same solid 8.5....anything under an 8 at the PDC would be considered a disappointment with all the momentum FALS has built over the past 4 years.

TackyTracker
08-01-2016, 12:15 AM
was only able to make Sat but I'll say 9.5

Chadly329
08-01-2016, 06:30 AM
This was my first time at FALS, we bought reserved tix on the backstretch, we will be back for years to come!

ptown
08-01-2016, 07:15 AM
The heat races Friday night were fantastic, the feature Saturday was really good but not as good as the previous three years.

The WOO announcer is horrible and needs to be replaced ASAP.

cgrace
08-01-2016, 07:46 AM
i'd give it an averageon racing. A+forfun.

turnleftandgasit
08-01-2016, 08:52 AM
FYI, if I went anywhere else and had the experience I had this weekend, they would get a 9.5, but FALS gets graded with the FALS curve in effect, so 8.5 is the grade.

chathamracefan
08-01-2016, 09:25 AM
I'd give it a 9. If there would have been another last lap pass in the feature, it'd be a 10 again. FALS is fabulous!

Bubstr
08-01-2016, 11:08 AM
For us that are used to three wide racing at FALLS, it may have seemed average, but anytime you have 2 some times 3 groups of three wide racing, lap after lap, it is far from average. Possibly we need to review some of these other tracks, that say they have great racing and judge it again. I haven't seen anything but 10 Plus scores on this track for years. Anytime I feel the slightest let down at FALLS, I look at some of the crown jewels and wonder where the three wide racing was and come to my senses. I'm not a Homie, but I am a believer.

wells9
08-01-2016, 01:07 PM
I think Ferguson said it best in his interview Friday night. There aren't to many race tracks that you can race three wide for 10 laps consistently, that was awesome!

Hawk12
08-01-2016, 04:17 PM
great racing as usual. Time management was my only concern. Both days were dragged out fairly late. I don't know what u do to alleviate my issue. maybe get rid of the mods or at least eliminate the scrambles.

ptown
08-01-2016, 04:34 PM
great racing as usual. Time management was my only concern. Both days were dragged out fairly late. I don't know what u do to alleviate my issue. maybe get rid of the mods or at least eliminate the scrambles.

Good point, they blew at least 30 minutes for the helicopter landing and takeoff.

turnleftandgasit
08-01-2016, 04:40 PM
The 30 minutes they spent honoring the first responders that volunteer their time and skill everyday, was time we'll spent in my book.

Hawk12
08-01-2016, 06:13 PM
The 30 minutes they spent honoring the first responders that volunteer their time and skill everyday, was time we'll spent in my book.

I agree but it had to be done in between the consi races? They were allready running way behind. Would love to see that done again just before the races start though.

turnleftandgasit
08-01-2016, 06:22 PM
They were part of training exercises in Bloomington during the day, and made the detour over. Timing was out of their hands I believe.

ptown
08-01-2016, 06:36 PM

Pretty sure the pilots, copilots and nurses are employees of OSF and are very well paid.

cdustyr1
08-01-2016, 07:02 PM
track prep guy said the track actually needed air time when the helicopter came so that break was helpful.

Highside Hustler25
08-01-2016, 07:57 PM
While the racing was great as usual, I think the FALS Frenzy back in May might have been better. This years 100 lap PDC was not as good as 2015, but how many races are? They set the bar pretty high last year. Overall, I'd give it a 8. If Erb had gotten by Josh, probably a 9.5.

MUD MAESTRO
08-01-2016, 08:08 PM
If I never see another last chance modified race or modified scramble it will be to soon. The break for track grooming was way to long. The food hasn't been up to par the last few years, this year no exception.
That being said, the late model racing was superb.

turnleftandgasit
08-01-2016, 08:17 PM
It wasn't just about the air crew. You are correct they are paid, but all the other first responders in the area aren't.

racingfool32
08-01-2016, 10:02 PM
Time management was worse this year. But don't have to be back to work till tomorrow. Racing was very good again this year minus the last lap pass. I'd go with 8.5.

Krooser
08-01-2016, 11:08 PM
I had a ball... not often you see a 100 lapper and still have decent track conditions. I DID bring back about a pound of FALS dirt in my hair, eyes, clothes, etc... loved every minute of it.

fryefan
08-02-2016, 01:18 AM
It was one of the best races that I saw this year, but the Show-Me 100 was definitely a better race and more entertaining. The time management was extremely poor, partially due to having way to many B-Features and non-qualifiers races. Overall, I would give it an 8 on a 10 point scale.

71Cougar
08-02-2016, 10:06 PM
Hmmm, now there are too many races during the PDC. That and complaints on here that the PA was too loud which allows fans to actually hear the announcers while the cars are on the track. While I agree people can have their opinions on any topic, this just proves no matter how hard a track tries to get it right, you can't please all the fans all the time. I'm just glad FALS does it right darn near all the time and when they don't they try to fix it. One thing that is out of the track's control is the number of cautions (yellow or red flags) and there was a significant amount over the weekend that slowed the show down, IMO. PS...no, I don't have my FALS blinders on. :)

dualdj1
08-03-2016, 11:21 AM
PA tuning is definitely on the list of fixes :)

shaferz
08-03-2016, 11:39 AM
Disclaimer: I'm absolutely a homer - I live 8 blocks from the track.

Friday night racing was awesome. 9.5 out of 10.
The big race on Saturday night was average on the #FALS standard. Honestly - the past few years have been SO (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) good that anything less than what happened the past few years was going to be a bit of a let down.

Most all of the drivers that I saw commenting about the track said it was great. I've seen a total of one team bitch about the racing surface, but they were yapping about it before the weekend even started (Heckenasts guys on twitter.) And thats completely fine. If they want to race dry-slick every (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) weekend, then FALS probably isnt the place for them. Simple as that. Its a small track that is normally NOT dry-slick. Its not like most other tracks, and that is part of what makes it so special IMO.

Do I wish that we could have seen a repeat of the last few years of big shows? Absolutely, but I realize that every single big race will not end up like that. I think had Pierce stayed off of the wall, he may have had something for Richards - its just too bad we'll have to wait until next year to see it. :)

Fairbury Speedway
08-03-2016, 11:57 AM
We have raised the bar so high for ourselves, anything less than perfect is a bit of a letdown. We will all work harder to improve on the things that we feel were not perfect and try to make it better. Overall it was a great weekend, It wasn't what the last 3 have been, but it was pretty darn good. Thanks everyone for the positive comments, we see some issues and will work on the ones we have control over.

ptown
08-03-2016, 08:42 PM
As a paying customer and avid race fan my suggestion is stop putting on the sideshows like the helicopter thing that slow down the program and leave that Chicago shyster at home and let a local kid from the high school sing the anthem.

LONG36fan
08-03-2016, 08:50 PM
As a paying customer and avid race fan my suggestion is stop putting on the sideshows like the helicopter thing that slow down the program and leave that Chicago shyster at home and let a local kid from the high school sing the anthem.I wouldn't have a problem with a local singing the anthem, but (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)....the guy from the other night was flat out incredible!!!!!

WWilliams52
08-03-2016, 09:01 PM
Unfortunately I myself had been hyping this race up all summer so I had extremely high expectations. Only because the last couple PDC's have been amazing. But other than the Heats, I was really disappointed in the track/racing for the weekend. Aside from Bobby and a couple guys in the feature it seemed like minimal passing all weekend. The track for the summer nationals race was way better than for the PDC. The best racing was the 5k Mod race to cap the weekend off. I also had higher expectations for the Latemodel car count, I guess a couple of guys who normally race the PDC decided to take easy money elsewhere. (Mars, Simpson, etc..) I got stuck sitting next to a couple of people who had no clue what they were talking about which made the weekend long, and also a couple of locals who think they own the grandstands because they come every weekend. I agree that FALS needs to stop bringing in more bells and whistles for the event. Just stick to the racing. And stop letting the crowd dictate the Draw. The local guys got put up front fell to the back in a matter of laps. Thorsten being up front caused the pile up in the back. I love the local guys but they were all pretty terrible all weekend aside from the heats when the cushion wasn't there. Also the extremely narrow seating is a bit much, invest in more stands instead of Corneilson. Now while my whining session is over on another note its still the best facility and race track I have been too. And living 40 mins away from the best track in America is a blessing. And most people crying about PDC fans having blinders are the ones that sit at home and watch everything on PPV. The PDC will be a "Crown Jewel" before you know it.

ptown
08-03-2016, 09:12 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with a local singing the anthem, but (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)....the guy from the other night was flat out incredible!!!!!

They paid him $3,000 for 2 minutes of work he better be good.

cdustyr1
08-03-2016, 09:27 PM
You know its a high bar when three cars racing for the lead on lap 96 is let down. It may not be the best race of year but was still exciting and didnt know who was going to win even with 2 laps to go. I am in agreement with how long the show ran as well. I think they will look into that. As for the scramble events I assumed those were just chances for guys to make some money for coming. Perhaps just increase the starting pay in the other events. I will give the track credit they try different things each year some work some dont. As for track conditions I know the staff and crew probably talked to a lot of drivers asking opinions. They ultimately are the ones who matter when it come to the surface, and of course not everyone is going to agree some tracks fit guys styles better than others. And as an oddity at FALS wish Bobby wouldnt have broke thought that was going to be an exciting show of cross overs.

cdustyr1
08-03-2016, 09:28 PM
As for the anthem singer, money was raised by fans and supporters for that so why not.

old fan
08-03-2016, 09:32 PM
I am going next year that's for sure

Highside Hustler25
08-03-2016, 09:34 PM
They paid him $3,000 for 2 minutes of work he better be good.

Worth every penny. Makes the hair stand up on my arms every time.

Highside Hustler25
08-03-2016, 09:37 PM
I am going next year that's for sure

Fairbury is a older farm town that has older sidewalks. Be sure to put larger tennis balls on your walker.

turnleftandgasit
08-03-2016, 09:42 PM
^winner winner chicken dinner

old fan
08-03-2016, 09:44 PM
I will remember that maybe I could use the tennis balls for weapon hitting everyone in a race shirt but 'I 'VE BEEN THERE THE SIDEWALKS DO NEED SOME WORK NOW CHOP CHOP GET THE FIXED

fryefan
08-03-2016, 09:45 PM
Fairbury is a older farm town that has older sidewalks. Be sure to put larger tennis balls on your walker.

LOL!!! Nice work Highside.

kidrock
08-03-2016, 09:45 PM

Can somoene go around town and fill the cracks in the sidewalks because ole lity is on his way lol

Highside Hustler25
08-03-2016, 09:51 PM
Can somoene go around town and fill the cracks in the sidewalks because ole lity is on his way lol

Absolutely not.:(You could set up some trail cameras along the way.:)

kidrock
08-03-2016, 10:15 PM
absolutely not.:(you could set up some trail cameras along the way.:)

lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! OR HAVE HIM WEAR A GO-PRO

old fan
08-03-2016, 10:29 PM
I won't be in town why would do that going to the race not to see a town that looks like any other illnois town

thugcat32
08-03-2016, 11:12 PM
My only complaint is leave the fireworks at home those bombs were going off all night long

CMatich
08-04-2016, 10:05 AM
Don't know why I'm responding to trolls, but in this case I need to.

ptown......as far as the Chicago shyster being paid $3,000......do you realize how wrong you are? I'm the one who thought of this idea two years ago, as well as handle everything with Jim. Each year, fans by their own free will have donated for his appearance. I've had people give $20 all the way to $1,000 each. Last year we had more money donated than needed, so the overage was donated to the Illinois Patriot Education Fund. Guess that's a bad thing too?

2 minutes of work? He arrived at three, met with the fans who donated, spent time with the American Legion, spoke at the Morton Building function, cruised the camp grounds and was swamped by people, joined in Sauve Talk on "the bus", signed 100's of autographs, met with WoO officials/event sponsors, took a ton of pictures, allowed fans to hold/take pictures of his Stanley Cup ring and then met with Shriner children with horrible problems, signed personalized birthday cards for them from him...yeah he's a shyster.

His 2015 performance was viewed over 22,000 times on his Facebook page and that translates into a ton of people who have never seen a dirt track in their lives and maybe just maybe some look into the sport and go. Guess that's bad too.

He is totally amazed by our sport and is spreading the word. You have to remember for this sport to grow/survive newbies have to be brought in.

Why should it matter to anyone in the stands what it cost for anything in front of them? When this event is planned everything is looked at to make the event a success. Money has to be made to cover expenses, put money in the bank for weekly shows and payoff the HUGE expenditure on the new bleachers/bathrooms PLUS bank money for the next phase of improvements. Fairbury is so fortunate to be able to do this and make their fans as comfortable as possible. Guess this is a bad thing too?

When major sponsors get on this forum and read all the crap that's spewed about any race track, why would they want to stay involved or get involved in this sport? When sponsors go away and the tracks follow the sport dies. I deal with this all the time and trust me it's a struggle keeping them involved, especially since EVERYTHING on forums and the internet is true and the gospel.

To everyone who donated this year THANK YOU!! Trust me when I say that everyone involved with Fairbury is doing and trying their best to make EVERY race night the best possible. Is this always the case? No, but the endless trying to be the best will never stop.

Have fun this weekend at the races, spread the word about our sport so future generations can enjoy it like we do.

Highside Hustler25
08-04-2016, 11:27 AM
Thanks CMatich for making it happen.

TackyTracker
08-04-2016, 12:44 PM
yes thanks for making it happen... sounds like 99.9% enjoyed it

ssorcce
08-06-2016, 12:44 PM
I don't know how anybody could even think about complaining about this years PDC for that weekend of racing for $45.00 I for one will never miss it as long as I'm here. FALS you get a 10 from me. I thought it was a great feature. Thank You again for another great year I'm waiting for 2017 already