PDA

View Full Version : Best Pinto Spindle?

Racer96m
08-01-2016, 07:18 AM
Who makes the best pinto spindle? I have been using Allstar and it seams like the smallest little bump and they snap in half. I don't have to worry about checking for a bent one because they just snap. You would think that a balljoint would bend before the spindle breaks. Original ford isn't an option because of supply so does someone use a brand they feel is better, or is everything Chinese junk ?

Dave

UltimateRaceCars
08-01-2016, 09:52 AM
The 3 piece short arm (pinto) metric spindle that Speedway makes is the strongest aftermarket spindle out there. I have yet to have one bend or break on my car or any of my customer cars. I have been very happy with them.

stock car driver
08-01-2016, 10:51 AM
ford readily available all over 35-140 each

car-part.com

all the rest are soft Chinese metal including the speedway 3 piece

z40chief
08-01-2016, 12:47 PM
I'm guessing they are breaking past the upper ball joint at the bend? We weld a gusset on each side by the b/j past the bend. That has cured our problem of them breaking.

JustAddDirt
08-01-2016, 01:38 PM
are they the standard 10º Ford spindle, or are they a 7/8º re-machined spindle.

The original Ford units are virtually indestructible, they are a nodular steel.
Aftermarket units are cast iron, or junk cast steel.

JCSullivan00
08-22-2016, 10:01 AM
Other than the obvious answer of 3*, what's the difference between the 10* and 7* spindle. I guess what I mean is, WHERE is the difference? Will running a 10* and switching to a 7* cause more negative camber or positive camber, does it affect caster, or just a bump steer issue?

Lizardracing
08-22-2016, 03:50 PM
Get some popcorn and watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUcZ63unEyU

BlackMagic
08-22-2016, 05:31 PM
We weld gussets on ours as previously mentioned by someone else. Ours were breaking very easily too! I would take a shot in the wheel that wouldn't even damage the wheel cover but it would break the spindle. We haven't had an issue since we started putting gussets on them. We were buying ours from Afco and the engineer told me multiple times that they were a forged unit and they didn't know why they were breaking. They are clearly not a forged unit. I will give them this though. They warrantied the product and gave me new ones that they put more of a radius in the bend instead of a straight cut 90 where the clearance for the balljoint, but those broke as well

JustAddDirt
09-01-2016, 08:13 AM
Other than the obvious answer of 3*, what's the difference between the 10* and 7* spindle. I guess what I mean is, WHERE is the difference? Will running a 10* and switching to a 7* cause more negative camber or positive camber, does it affect caster, or just a bump steer issue?

the top ball joint hole is machined farther out toward tire. (back cutting the top elbow of spindle, which makes it prone to breaking)

the 7-8º degree spindle provides LESS wheel weight jacking effect when the wheels are turned than the stock 10º spindle. it also improves negative camber gain when wheels are turned in either direction. Also improves bump steer because of the arch in which the steering rod would be taking in the turning sweep.

JCSullivan00
09-04-2016, 08:58 PM
Great explanation! Thanks for taking the time to respond!