PDA

View Full Version : Vic Hill: Finding a competitive balance while racing against customers

Returning to Dirt
08-02-2016, 10:40 AM
http://insidedirtracing.com/vic-hill-finding-a-competitive-balance-while-racing-against-customers/

Vic Hill is a hard charger on the track who often finds himself going head-to-head with his customers.

BTExpress
08-02-2016, 11:42 AM
Good article....it has to be tough dealing with fickle drivers and owners in that situation. Another point, I always felt an owner of a track who races and or owns a car should not compete at their own track. It could cause problems or cries of favoritism if the car wins.

Returning to Dirt
08-03-2016, 12:04 PM
I agree with your point about track owner/drivers if the race in question is being officiated by the track itself. If the track owner is racing and an outside sanctioning body(Lucas, WoO, Southern Nationals, etc...) is making the race calls and doing tech inspections then I don't see a problem with it.

McDowell at Boyd's and McIntosh/Kerr at Smoky Mountain operate mostly under those guidelines and I think it works out fine.

MI Dirt Fan
08-03-2016, 01:19 PM
I don't think its the track owner being a driver, more the track owners kids racing also. Some tracks I've been to the track owner is driving a push truck, water truck, I've seen one working in the concession stand one time, in the scorers booth and driving a wrecker.

Vic Hill also racing just goes to show that he stands by his product and he's successful at it. Like Moyer and Bloomer with building a chassis.

There's guys that can build strong dependable motors or winning cars but have no idea when it comes to actual racing.

BTExpress
08-03-2016, 01:47 PM
Have to agree, as far I as I know, none of the more well known DLM engine builders, Durham, Clements, Pro Power, D*ckins, Cornett, Custom, etc are drivers besides Vic Hill. That has to be somewhat of an advantage.

toast
08-04-2016, 11:25 AM
One of Bloomer's worst years of racing, happened when he used Vic (the dik) racing engines!

Necrosis
08-04-2016, 09:53 PM
One of Bloomer's worst years of racing, happened when he used Vic (the dik) racing engines!Preach Brother!

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-05-2016, 07:54 AM
One of Bloomer's worst years of racing, happened when he used Vic (the dik) racing engines!

I would counter with the fact that the last major victory achieved by Birky was with a Vic Hill engine. Also, the time frame you are talking about was when Bloomer simply had too many customers to support. That hurt his racing.

Lastly, the engine, as a factor of success, is greatly overrated by bleacher racers. Many options exist to buy a powerplant smooth enough and powerful enough to win.