PDA

View Full Version : What is Cherry Picking in your mind?

Aces&Eights
08-04-2016, 05:21 PM
This is a term that really makes my blood boil. What determines if a race is a "Cherry"? Size of the purse? Amount of competitors? Whether or not the other racers have their big boy pants on? In Super Late Model, what in your world dictates a "Cherry" Race?

MI Dirt Fan
08-04-2016, 05:29 PM
Back in the early part of the SN tour, Moyer Jr. skipped out and left and headed to the mid week WoO show in NY and stop and picked $4k at Hartford AELT show and then won the ALMS Barney Oldfield race the next night at Oakshade.

huskerdirt
08-04-2016, 05:33 PM
I really don't think there is a such thing as cherry picking anymore. If a driver wants to run a race for 3k, 90 minutes from the shop rather than driving 6 hours for a 10k to win show. That's not cherry picking.... That's just being smart.

turnleftandgasit
08-04-2016, 05:36 PM
If you don't pay their bills, say out of their business.

Highside Hustler25
08-04-2016, 06:01 PM

ding ding ding we have a winner.

old fan
08-04-2016, 06:20 PM
If you don't pay their bills, say out of their business.chicken is on the house

klemmabyna
08-04-2016, 06:24 PM
no such thing as "cherry picking". an event is scheduled with rules for entry and an announced purse. all who want to play by the rules should be allowed to race. only whiners use the term.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
08-04-2016, 06:31 PM
no such thing as "cherry picking". an event is scheduled with rules for entry and an announced purse. all who want to play by the rules should be allowed to race. only whiners use the term.

Ding Ding Ding There ya have it folks we have another winner!

Congrats!
I agree!

Nasty55
08-04-2016, 06:42 PM

Exactly!! And there seem to be alot of Armchair wannabe owners here on good old 4m...

COKEandaSMILE
08-04-2016, 06:48 PM
Cherry picking is perception. By both driver and fan.

Driving farther to avoid an expected level of competition to compete with a lower expected level of competition.

It does exist, not sure why some are overly sensitive.

pierceFAN
08-04-2016, 06:56 PM
What people fail to realize is that there are more teams racing on a shoestring budget than the teams with unlimited funds....so for some it's a matter of putting money in the bank to get you down the road...you can go to the big show and start at the back of the feature where if your lucky to make the top 10...you'll bring home just about the same as if you finished last...or you go elsewhere where you can have a better chance of making the top 3 and hopefully make a little or at least break even..if that made sense

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
08-04-2016, 07:14 PM
Hanging out at an all girls college!

dirtdobber45
08-04-2016, 08:10 PM
So going to a 2k to win show rather than a 10k race a couple of hours away and tearing up a motor or car is better? Dont make sense to me

huskerdirt
08-04-2016, 08:22 PM
So going to a 2k to win show rather than a 10k race a couple of hours away and tearing up a motor or car is better? Dont make sense to me

Because you have a better chance at winning or making money. Winning that 3k to win race is like running 4th at a standard Lucas/WoO Lucas race. Plus that 3k to win race will probably put 30 less laps on your equipment.

There are a lot of guys trying to make it work financially for them. Can't blame them one bit.

Chris Simpson and Jimmy Mars opted for some CBC races instead of FALS last week. Jason Feger decided to stay close to home the week before and not go to I-80. The result was Feger was 7k richer. Less money spent to get to I-80. He would've had to finish top 5 at I-80 to collect the same pay day. Not saying he couldn't have done it, but I thought the chance of him winning those two close to home would be much higher.

old fan
08-04-2016, 08:59 PM
Hanging out at an all girls college! but most of the snobby girls don't like racing lol

B_K
08-04-2016, 09:00 PM
Some people call it cherry picking. Others call it what it is, racing smart. Only one winner at these deals. Might as well go where you feel like you have a chance of being that guy.

dirty bert
08-04-2016, 09:04 PM
If you don't pay their bills, say out of their business.That's right, with what it cost to run now you go where you can put some money in the bank

Centeroff
08-04-2016, 09:05 PM
Kyle Busch running any series other than sprint cup! Lol

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
08-04-2016, 09:19 PM
but most of the snobby girls don't like racing lol

They dont need to like racing!

MI Dirt Fan
08-04-2016, 09:22 PM
Kyle Busch running any series other than sprint cup! Lol
Ding ding ding. We have a real winner to the question

dirtdobber45
08-04-2016, 09:48 PM
but most of the snobby girls don't like racing lolNah they didnt like YOU just like here on 4m lmao JP lmao

Aces&Eights
08-04-2016, 10:16 PM

Now this is a good answer. Glad to see some men still have testicular fortitude in the Obama Nanny State ideology age. Next they'll want redistribution of the purse, everyone gets the same money and a trophy for every position, even the non-qualifiers. Boo, just say HillNo.

old fan
08-04-2016, 10:20 PM
Oh you mean like scca

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
08-05-2016, 07:45 AM
Bloomer's woo suspension... Get ready to put another $20k in the bank this weekend ;)

Dont be so sure right yet. He'll have a fight on his hands up there!

Josh Bayko
08-05-2016, 07:47 AM
Ain't no such thing as cherry picking. You can tear your sh*t up anywhere.

pink floyd
08-05-2016, 08:06 AM
no such thing, local hot shoes at every track.

old fan
08-05-2016, 08:20 AM
where the nationals guys have the advantage or the long races and yes local hot shoes at every track and might be un expected

Aces&Eights
08-05-2016, 08:43 AM
where the nationals guys have the advantage or the long races and yes local hot shoes at every track and might be un expected

National guy has the advantage... Are they not competing under the same rules?
Calling out, "Cherry Picking" is just dilettante whining, aka Sour Grapes.

What's he that wishes so?
My cousin, Westmoreland? No, my fair cousin;
If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
To do our country loss; and if to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.

weatherman85
08-05-2016, 09:15 AM
Not sure why Cherry picking has a bad rap myself. I love cherries!

AnonymousNate
08-05-2016, 10:52 AM
I really don't think there is a such thing as cherry picking anymore. If a driver wants to run a race for 3k, 90 minutes from the shop rather than driving 6 hours for a 10k to win show. That's not cherry picking.... That's just being smart. I much agree with Huskerdirt

Clamped
08-05-2016, 01:07 PM
Great topic for discussion. I think that everyone knows how much the costs of racing have grown over the years. And car owners/drivers have to make tough decisions about which races make sense financially. That said, many of us are familiar with the scenario in which a driver may dominate at their local track(s), but never challenge themselves by attempting to travel and race against stiffer competition, even though they probably have the equipment and skills to be competitive. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but if everyone chose to race locally, there would be no WOO, Lucas, etc. Those guys got to where they're at by challenging themselves, and moving up in the sport. Consider the likes of a Chris Furguson, or Chub, back when he was shoestring...having nowhere near the money that the big dogs have, but running with them anyway. That's the antithesis of cherry picking, and I don't know anyone who doesn't respect that.

tb1545
08-05-2016, 01:51 PM
The only cherry picking in my mind is if someone drives past a big paying show to hit a pud paying race. Staying closer to home makes financial sense a lot of times and is great to interact with your local fans and $$sponsors$$, but if you spend more to get to a lower paying show, you're not a competitor. I want to beat everyone who comes through the gate no matter the level, I'm not going to hope only 4 cars show up or driver further so i can get an easy win. Its just as easy to wad up your crap against local less inexperienced drivers than taking a chance for more money with the big dogs. But, when you're not paying their bills, its tough to judge. To me the Moyers catch a lot more flak than they should, geographic location of Arkansas doesnt make it easy to get to big races compared to hitting multiple local/regional shows and im sure theres other drivers in the same boat as them. To me Kelly Boen was in their boat, too fast to be running regional and local stuff, but living in Colorado doesnt make it easy or feesable to hit big shows so they listen to more BS than they should and probably one of the reasons that led to him retiring.

zach51
08-05-2016, 03:07 PM
Dang, I haven't heard the name Kelly Boen in a long time! Good Post!

huskerdirt
08-05-2016, 03:30 PM
The only cherry picking in my mind is if someone drives past a big paying show to hit a pud paying race. Staying closer to home makes financial sense a lot of times and is great to interact with your local fans and $$sponsors$$, but if you spend more to get to a lower paying show, you're not a competitor. I want to beat everyone who comes through the gate no matter the level, I'm not going to hope only 4 cars show up or driver further so i can get an easy win. Its just as easy to wad up your crap against local less inexperienced drivers than taking a chance for more money with the big dogs. But, when you're not paying their bills, its tough to judge. To me the Moyers catch a lot more flak than they should, geographic location of Arkansas doesnt make it easy to get to big races compared to hitting multiple local/regional shows and im sure theres other drivers in the same boat as them. To me Kelly Boen was in their boat, too fast to be running regional and local stuff, but living in Colorado doesnt make it easy or feesable to hit big shows so they listen to more BS than they should and probably one of the reasons that led to him retiring.

Boen was a good dude. Drove people dirty sometimes. The 07 car raced a ton around my area and when you found out he was gonna be at the track. You dropped everything and went to see the show he was gonna put on(good and bad). I remember him saying awhile back before he hung it up... "If I just had a shop in Iowa or Illinois, I would race more of these bigger shows". Pulling from Colorado to I-80 or McCool Junction is still about 8 hours. That's gets pretty old doing it a couple times a month knowing you are only racing for 3 or 5k to win.

Yep the Moyers get a lot of flack. I don't understand why, it's about putting money in the bank to keep racing. Last year when some got worked up because he didn't go to Florence and stayed around Iowa for most August running those MLRA and CBC shows. He actually won more money that month outside of the guys that won those crown jewel events than anybody else. To me that is just being smart and having realistic expectations.

And most forget the last year and half Moyer Sr has been in Iowa a lot more with chassis thing now. It would make more sense to stay around and run those races.

CRK
08-05-2016, 03:37 PM
McKay Wenger not racing summer nats and going to Missouri and Quincy when he lives in Fairbury so he can get UMP points. I guess karma caught up with that cherry picking.

MI Dirt Fan
08-05-2016, 03:41 PM
Speaking of Moyer's. I see they have been trying to find help throughout this season. Every few weeks or so there is an ad on there websites

dirtdobber45
08-05-2016, 05:55 PM
Dont be so sure right yet. He'll have a fight on his hands up there!With who? Saterlee..maybe Covert..no. Unless he has mechanical problems I dont see him with 'hands full'....except with money lol

Clayton_Wetter
08-05-2016, 06:15 PM
Ding Ding Ding There ya have it folks we have another winner!

Congrats!
I agree!

No that's the sound your head makes when you move it!!! No winners yet, just a cherry pickers list.

DEKconsulting
08-05-2016, 07:44 PM
Cherry picking would be bloomquist coming to regular show at a track with no other big competitors

Nasty55
08-05-2016, 08:14 PM
The only cherry picking in my mind is if someone drives past a big paying show to hit a pud paying race.

Rusty Schlenk was famous for doing this a few yrs ago chasing UMP Points....

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
08-05-2016, 08:41 PM
With who? Saterlee..maybe Covert..no. Unless he has mechanical problems I dont see him with 'hands full'....except with money lol

More than you think. Lil ol bloomer aint going to mop up at vms. I know thats what you are thinking u lil nut hugger.

tb1545
08-05-2016, 08:49 PM
Rusty Schlenk was famous for doing this a few yrs ago chasing UMP Points....

And that could be a whole new long topic about the silly games of "points chasing" , but At least there's decent money in winning ump national points. Here in imca land you hear so many stories about modifieds throwing a buddy in a sport mod to reach the 9 car minimum a main carcount to recieve max points at a hole in the wall track or driving 300 miles to get an easier track. I'm far from a fan of points racing. I'd love to see more of and bigger pays for perfect attendance with tracks and series. Emphasize racing hard and smart for the wins, and if it's not your night, just get out of the way.

MI Dirt Fan
08-05-2016, 09:08 PM
More than you think. Lil ol bloomer aint going to mop up at vms. I know thats what you are thinking u lil nut hugger.

I'll be putting the Crow in crock pot tomorrow afternoon just in case.

dirtdobber45
08-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Ok if you pay 30-40k for a car 50-60k for a motor and 200k for a hauler and you rather go to a 2k to win race so you can 'pay the bills' its time to find a different hobby. Your gonna spend that much at least have b@lls enough to run the big money races and let the locals have their time

dirtdobber45
08-05-2016, 09:25 PM
I'll be putting the Crow in crock pot tomorrow afternoon just in case.Wait bud SS has a secret...he found out that Dale McDowell will be there so Scott mite have some competition this wkend

dirtdobber45
08-05-2016, 09:30 PM
More than you think. Lil ol bloomer aint going to mop up at vms. I know thats what you are thinking u lil nut hugger.You dont know $h¡t from applebutter....wasnt thinking that at all I knew Dale was gonna be there...just wanted to see if I could get you fired up lol

dirtdobber45
08-05-2016, 09:38 PM
Cherry Pickin...thats when your in high school and on the first day of school Id watch all the freshman walk in and think "Theres me a cherry and theres another" lmfao!!!

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
08-05-2016, 10:12 PM
Rambo and casey roberts will give bloomer all he can handle. He'll have to settle for 3rd.

A longhorn will prevail there ol nut hugging d!ckdobber69!

dirtdobber45
08-05-2016, 11:28 PM
Rambo and casey roberts will give bloomer all he can handle. He'll have to settle for 3rd. A longhorn will prevail there ol nut hugging d!ckdobber69!Now I know youve bumped that head. One of will get a podium finish..Idk which will be third and the other fourth but itll come down to Scott and Dale barring any mechanical issues. But you keep your jerkins lotion close to do your 'victory lap' when Scott wins TossSaladQueen lmao

Raceready
08-06-2016, 04:25 AM
I know of one driver that has followed a few different touring series for many years. On a rare day off when there isn't any of the series races going on he has the local fans, relatives, and sponsors calling his shop and house all week long asking if he was running this race or that because the fans weren't able to get away or afford to travel etc. In that case when he races local it seems if he starts last and finishes 5th on a 1 lane track people say he sucks but if he wins they say he is cherry picking ! I'm sure that in his heart he would rather stay at the shop and get caught up on maintenance but he ends up bowing to the ones that want him to run a race that he may not think is economically worth it. Cant win for losing !!

old fan
08-06-2016, 07:07 AM
they might need the ole tire sniffer from Gary Stobla

Aces&Eights
08-06-2016, 01:17 PM
they might need the ole tire sniffer from Gary Stobla

Oh Brother, here we go again. What is this, "Tiregate 69" or something? You lay awake at night angry at how many people you think are soaking tires? What does taking a jab at GS have to do with Cherry Picking?

dirtdobber45
08-06-2016, 02:05 PM
Hes bumped his head too many times on sidewalks in his 'world'....lol

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
08-06-2016, 02:40 PM
Hes bumped his head too many times on sidewalks in his 'world'....lol

The only head u bump is in the back of your throat gettn your toncils white washed.
You ol pit lizzard!!

old fan
08-06-2016, 02:51 PM
oh brother, here we go again. What is this, "tiregate 69" or something? You lay awake at night angry at how many people you think are soaking tires? What does taking a jab at gs have to do with cherry picking?no check out legit raceway tv videos you might be surprised

dirtdobber45
08-06-2016, 03:31 PM
The only head u bump is in the back of your throat gettn your toncils white washed.You ol pit lizzard!!Are you describing your typical day?Sounds like youve been going to the local truck stops and rest areas making dates for yourself again...so how much do you charge hunny?

Clayton_Wetter
08-07-2016, 04:35 PM
Rambo and casey roberts will give bloomer all he can handle. He'll have to settle for 3rd.

A longhorn will prevail there ol nut hugging d!ckdobber69!

Hey SS. Is applesauce really brown???? :)

old fan
08-07-2016, 05:31 PM
It can be cw

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
08-07-2016, 07:24 PM
Hey SS. Is applesauce really brown???? :)

If its cinnamin!

dirtdobber45
08-07-2016, 08:06 PM
If its cinnamin!Told you you wouldnt know the difference lmfao lmfao

old fan
08-07-2016, 08:14 PM
we tell dirtdobber its cinnamon lol

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
08-08-2016, 12:21 AM
we tell dirtdobber its cinnamon lol

You mean d!ckgobber!

dirtdobber45
08-08-2016, 05:45 AM
we tell dirtdobber its cinnamon lolYou can tell me whatever I know the difference

dirtdobber45
08-08-2016, 05:46 AM
You mean d!ckgobber!Sticks and stones TossSaladQueen

old fan
08-08-2016, 07:02 AM
You can tell me whatever I know the difference plenty of practice I see