PDA

View Full Version : Lucas Oil to provide right rear tires for North/South 100

MRM
08-05-2016, 12:20 PM
I heard 2 weeks ago this was coming and now it's official. The Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series will be experimenting with a new rule at next week's North/South 100 where all right rear tires for those making the 100-lap feature will be provided. I fully believe this is being tested in an effort to end tire cheating. The reaction from competitors and fans will be interesting.

http://lucasdirt.com/home/1755-lucas-oil-late-model-dirt-series-aug-2016-technical-bulletin

jog49
08-05-2016, 12:30 PM
Lucas Oil can mount the tires themselves but the removal of a valve stem and a handy syringe can quickly introduce some dope to the inside of a tire. Case in point is that the tires should still be checked by a lab for alteration.
Where there's a will, there's a way around...................

cjsracing
08-05-2016, 12:33 PM
Jog,

the teams have to mount them in a designated area and then the tires stay locked up until the 10 minute horn is blown, at which time the teams get the tire and put it on the car.

Sounds like a pretty good way to me to combat the tire issue.

birky time
08-05-2016, 12:35 PM
bloomer going to smoke em

GEAR_HEAD
08-05-2016, 12:46 PM
Lucas Oil can mount the tires themselves but the removal of a valve stem and a handy syringe can quickly introduce some dope to the inside of a tire. Case in point is that the tires should still be checked by a lab for alteration.
Where there's a will, there's a way around...................

Even if they did what good is that going to do in 10 minutes and how are they going to do that without anybody noticing?

wfo2007
08-05-2016, 12:49 PM
bloomer going to smoke em

Yes sir!!!

ptown
08-05-2016, 12:52 PM
Will they still be testing tires from heat races?

TDRacinŽ
08-05-2016, 01:04 PM
Will they still be testing tires from heat races?

Yes, it states in the article standard testing policies are in place for the preliminary events.

I'm interested in how it will go. No tire work whatsoever should be different!

birky time
08-05-2016, 01:13 PM
let the crying begin!?

Kromulous
08-05-2016, 01:14 PM
We never run an uncut, or un-buffed LM40, i wonder how they will handle. Its 100 laps so it will definitely heat and work but may take awhile.

Might have to be careful with the LR tire choice or risk getting the car to tight.

xray
08-05-2016, 01:16 PM
They need to scoop and test the right rears anyways to see if they "lose any chemicals"

Josh Bayko
08-05-2016, 01:19 PM
It's not a bad thing, Especially because the series is eating the cost of said tires.

But let's get serious here. If teams are juicing, it's not like the right rear is the only tire they're juicing.

zach51
08-05-2016, 02:02 PM
Rarely agree with Josh but I was thinking the same thing. Right front tires are heavily doped.

MRM
08-05-2016, 02:12 PM
Even if they did what good is that going to do in 10 minutes and how are they going to do that without anybody noticing?

The press release says the cars will go to the infield where the tires will be mounted and the cars will remain there until the roll onto the track. Plenty of eyes will be watching.

MRM
08-05-2016, 02:12 PM
It's not a bad thing, Especially because the series is eating the cost of said tires.

But let's get serious here. If teams are juicing, it's not like the right rear is the only tire they're juicing.

If this goes well, the left rear will be next is my guess.

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-05-2016, 02:30 PM
We never run an uncut, or un-buffed LM40, i wonder how they will handle. Its 100 laps so it will definitely heat and work but may take awhile.

Might have to be careful with the LR tire choice or risk getting the car to tight.

Yeah. That tire won't go at all in the beginning. Unless the track is already rubbered up.

CRK
08-05-2016, 03:01 PM
Perfect. Now let's make everyone run the same shock packages and make them fit into body templates too. Hey, it worked for NASCAR. Look how good that racing is.

Barbecueboy
08-05-2016, 03:14 PM
changing things up in the tire rule game huh???

Well dam, ain't that just a whack a mole moment in the grand scheme of things , what with the tin foil hat club reference and all??

Enjoy the fowl ladies........

MI Dirt Fan
08-05-2016, 03:44 PM
People dont read the entire press releases or articles before jumping to conclusions and technically You can't chemically alter a tire in 10 mins.

GEAR_HEAD
08-05-2016, 03:58 PM
The press release says the cars will go to the infield where the tires will be mounted and the cars will remain there until the roll onto the track. Plenty of eyes will be watching.

Exactly, but Jog seems to think it will still be possible and 10 minutes of doping is going to have an effect.

MI Dirt Fan
08-05-2016, 04:02 PM
Jog is probly Litey with his multiple handles on here.

george w
08-05-2016, 09:35 PM
Atleast there trying to do something, I'm going to keep an open mind an see what comes of it before i bash the idea all to hell. If it ends up being a bad idea I'll still give them props for trying.

Josh Bayko
08-05-2016, 10:11 PM
If this goes well, the left rear will be next is my guess.

Or the right front. I kinda hope this works out. The sanction paying for the tires is absolutely the right way to go about trying to implement such a plan.

dirtdobber45
08-05-2016, 10:17 PM
If it turns out to be a mandatory thing next year and WoO starts doing it too, how will that affect the smaller series?

Barbecueboy
08-05-2016, 11:07 PM
Where is that Heinz 57 guy..........he had all the answers a little while back.

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-05-2016, 11:30 PM
Or the right front. I kinda hope this works out. The sanction paying for the tires is absolutely the right way to go about trying to implement such a plan.

It will cost the racer some way somehow.

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-05-2016, 11:32 PM
People dont read the entire press releases or articles before jumping to conclusions and technically You can't chemically alter a tire in 10 mins.

Watch me. You certainly can. But it will stink.

Josh Bayko
08-06-2016, 06:28 AM
It will cost the racer some way somehow.

In the long run, of course it will. Nothing even kinda free lasts forever. I'm just saying if they're trying to implement this rule, eating the cost of the tires in the introductory phase is the right thing to do.

old fan
08-06-2016, 06:51 AM
facebook.com/LegitSpeedwayPark/videos this might shed some light on tire doping and having a uncut tire on might cause issues do not use dawn soap or wd40

jhanson
08-06-2016, 07:01 AM
sounds great to me. The old quote is that "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." Maybe a cheater or two might slip through the cracks, but you can make it so miserable for them that they wonder if it's worth getting caught---kind of like driving 100 MPH on the freeway when you know the Wisconsin troopers are hiding in the bushes. Is trying to "get there fast" worth it when you know there is a good chance you will only get to court/jail ?

kidrock
08-06-2016, 07:02 AM
I believe in the article it said the other 3 tires will still be subject to tire testing.

old fan
08-06-2016, 07:20 AM
no dawn no wd 40

oldfart50
08-06-2016, 08:31 AM
It is so nice that the group home allows you computer time. I just bet you are the smartest one on that short bus... Good for you.
changing things up in the tire rule game huh??? Well dam, ain't that just a whack a mole moment in the grand scheme of things , what with the tin foil hat club reference and all?? Enjoy the fowl ladies........

RCJ
08-06-2016, 09:28 AM
After Lucas has to buy 25 tires every couple of days maybe they will put pressure on Hoosier to supply a cheaper or better tire.

Barbecueboy
08-06-2016, 10:41 AM
It is so nice that the group home allows you computer time. I just bet you are the smartest one on that short bus... Good for you.

Even nicer that you can still talk with a mouthful of smoked crow that has been plungered down your throat.

Aren't you one of the ones that said everything was perfect and that they weren't going to change a thing...........laughing at me for suggesting it was needed???

Why yes......yes you you fuking were.

Enjoy the pain...

Where are the rest of the loudmouths that were so sure nothing was being changed.......57?..husker girl? And the pledge for the sons of silence gang?

I guess they are all getting their group rate pedicures or something.

Barbecueboy
08-06-2016, 10:47 AM
In the long run, of course it will. Nothing even kinda free lasts forever. I'm just saying if they're trying to implement this rule, eating the cost of the tires in the introductory phase is the right thing to do.

They will eventually work it into the price of the goods all they way around.........I'm happy to hear that some smart folks took their heads out of the sand and are making strides at changing a bad system.

This isn't exactly perfect either as several have stated ,but it's a great start to change for the betterment for the sport...........guess those after race tin foil hat meetings weren't such a waste of time after all.

formercrewguy
08-06-2016, 11:48 AM
Instead of $100 to pull the pill...it will be $200. Betcha.

NormP
08-06-2016, 11:50 AM
Just ignore oldfart. He can't win an argument with brains, logic, or facts, so he resorts to name calling and insults. No different than any other mouth breather in that regard. You know the type:

gorj
08-06-2016, 12:26 PM
This is the best way the series can go about enforcing tire rules without suspending drivers that follow the series. They need their drivers at every race thus the reason series regulars aren't suspended for tires.

huskerdirt
08-06-2016, 01:17 PM

Completely agree.

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-06-2016, 03:07 PM
This is the best way the series can go about enforcing tire rules without suspending drivers that follow the series. They need their drivers at every race thus the reason series regulars aren't suspended for tires.

They have never suspended one of their drivers.

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-06-2016, 03:07 PM

A year or two, it will be $400.

willardboy
08-06-2016, 03:27 PM
If they keep doing this, im sure us fans will be the ones to pay the price for the tires in the end with inflated ticket prices! Already knocking a lot out of attending races with ticket prices that continue to go up. Wish there was a way to make dirt track racing affordable for fans and drivers.

gorj
08-06-2016, 05:37 PM

The top two DLM series haven't suspended a series regular for treating tires. They need them at the next race. The cars don't go through tech and teams that are committed to the series aren't going to be eliminated through tire testing.

zyoung25
08-06-2016, 06:14 PM

Didn't they boot Casey for a few races back in the day? I can't remember.

Josh Bayko
08-06-2016, 06:22 PM
Didn't they boot Casey for a few races back in the day? I can't remember.

Yeah. Casey admitted doping, too.

Barbecueboy
08-06-2016, 06:28 PM

100 bucks for a right rear is a bargain......isn't it?

Barbecueboy
08-06-2016, 06:30 PM
Completely agree.

So you agree a right rear is a bargain at a Benjamin too???....

One of the smartest things I've ever heard you say.

Clayton_Wetter
08-07-2016, 04:30 PM
Just ignore oldfart. He can't win an argument with brains, logic, or facts, so he resorts to name calling and insults. No different than any other mouth breather in that regard. You know the type:

http://www.4m.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=56328&d=1470502287

old fan
08-07-2016, 05:35 PM
it is so nice that the group home allows you computer time. I just bet you are the smartest one on that short bus... Good for you.bbq has been bad he has to walk to school

old fan
08-07-2016, 05:36 PM
http://www.4m.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=56328&d=1470502287clayton is that your car in the background

Barbecueboy
08-07-2016, 07:34 PM
What is that , like a dodge dynasty or something??....it's blurry when I zoom in.

a25rjr
08-07-2016, 08:18 PM
http://www.4m.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=56328&d=1470502287

Awww.....a family pic of SS and his tranny partner! How cute! :)

old fan
08-07-2016, 08:50 PM
Maybe thats tnies house

PennDirt
08-07-2016, 08:54 PM
I'll admit right up front, I don't know exactly what a track owner signs up for when entering into a legal contract with any series. Does the track owner have any leverage at all?

Look, I'm not even leaning towards this right rear assignment is a death blow, either. We're all going to watch this develop together be it good or bad. But the meaty part of my post is just how the King Family would allow this to happen at their flagship race? This is a curious fit.

This family has produced the one single race event that has historically had the best finishes ever witnessed. And I don't mean just a couple. Year-in, year-out the N/S 100 never disappoints. I'll bet you historians could dazzle us with statistics from lap 90 to lap 100 lead changes beyond compare. I'm not a fanboy of the N/S for posting posterity, I'm a fanboy of the N/S 100 because the King's recipe made me a fanboy.

So I ask, is this worth it to Florence, yall? Lucas needs the Kings more than the Kings need Lucas Oil Racing Series. Would you give your three and a half decades of sweat equity to appease a tire company?

I hope this doesn't backfire and I can understand if the Kings are a tad apprehensive, as well. I dunno, why this race? I guess big race messages are the only shots being heard around the racing world and that's the whole point.

Barbecueboy
08-07-2016, 10:06 PM
I'll admit right up front, I don't know exactly what a track owner signs up for when entering into a legal contract with any series. Does the track owner have any leverage at all?

Look, I'm not even leaning towards this right rear assignment is a death blow, either. We're all going to watch this develop together be it good or bad. But the meaty part of my post is just how the King Family would allow this to happen at their flagship race? This is a curious fit.

This family has produced the one single race event that has historically had the best finishes ever witnessed. And I don't mean just a couple. Year-in, year-out the N/S 100 never disappoints. I'll bet you historians could dazzle us with statistics from lap 90 to lap 100 lead changes beyond compare. I'm not a fanboy of the N/S for posting posterity, I'm a fanboy of the N/S 100 because the King's recipe made me a fanboy.

So I ask, is this worth it to Florence, yall? Lucas needs the Kings more than the Kings need Lucas Oil Racing Series. Would you give your three and a half decades of sweat equity to appease a tire company?

I hope this doesn't backfire and I can understand if the Kings are a tad apprehensive, as well. I dunno, why this race? I guess big race messages are the only shots being heard around the racing world and that's the whole point.

A side of the equation I hadn't even considered........good mind alarm.

buster83
08-07-2016, 11:30 PM
i really enjoyed all the bright shinning tires that used to roll out on the track but them days are gone but,look at the bright spot if a teams soaks there tires for a season they probably save 1,300 a year and have cash for something else for the car and hell let them have at it and the racing would improve then if not then the sanction bodies need to take control and mount the ties at the track.

zyoung25
08-08-2016, 12:20 AM
What is that , like a dodge dynasty or something??....it's blurry when I zoom in.

Ohhhh man. A buddy of mine had one of those cars. We got the the bright idea of breaking the d and y off the emblem making it a.......NASTY.

Barbecueboy
08-08-2016, 07:42 AM
Ohhhh man. A buddy of mine had one of those cars. We got the the bright idea of breaking the d and y off the emblem making it a.......NASTY.

My grandparents had one .........would have been cool to turn theirs into a nasty.

old fan
08-08-2016, 08:21 AM
Cw would schmitt if he knew what i own lol

Kromulous
08-08-2016, 08:32 AM
I can tell you one thing, Josh King is all about keeping tires fair and consistent for all competitors. They check, and generally for a weekly show inspect the tires and make sure everyone is running something legit. Plus run the same tire rule for the last couple years, which helps low budget guys somewhat.

My conversations with Josh i got the impression that he feels running a "Lucas" type tire rule helps low budget guys, and weekend racers, because they can buy used, and they can run multiple races on a set. I tend to agree, we run maybe 3 sets of tires a year, unless they get tore up.

I dont think this tire rule will hurt the racing at all, its the tire you have to run. Not allowing any cutting is gonna change some things, but its a 100 laps and on a slick track, so you wouldn't be cutting it up a lot anyway.

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-08-2016, 09:58 AM
I can tell you one thing, Josh King is all about keeping tires fair and consistent for all competitors. They check, and generally for a weekly show inspect the tires and make sure everyone is running something legit. Plus run the same tire rule for the last couple years, which helps low budget guys somewhat.

My conversations with Josh i got the impression that he feels running a "Lucas" type tire rule helps low budget guys, and weekend racers, because they can buy used, and they can run multiple races on a set. I tend to agree, we run maybe 3 sets of tires a year, unless they get tore up.

I dont think this tire rule will hurt the racing at all, its the tire you have to run. Not allowing any cutting is gonna change some things, but its a 100 laps and on a slick track, so you wouldn't be cutting it up a lot anyway.

I agree with most everything you say here, except the Lucas rule being the right way to do it. Those 03 tires are seriously lacking durability compared to an economy 1350. And the LM40 may look great, but it doesn't heat cycle so good.

We are shoestring, and the tire deal keeps us away at times.

Nasty55
08-09-2016, 03:02 PM

HAHAHA too fukn funny Zack...