PDA

View Full Version : Mastersbilt (Left Rear Dominate)

lcpestka
08-09-2016, 03:44 PM
Has anyone ever had a car, or specifically a Mastersbilt, that was so LR dominate that if you ran more than 0 to 10 lbs of bite the it car would loose side bite and forward drive dramatically? My car has sucked all year, and last week I was so frustrated that I thought what would be the wrong thing to do to make the car come off the corner and have more side bite. I wen from 140 lbs of bite to 30 lbs reverse bite and the car came alive? makes no sense to me, it had lots of side bite and lots of forward drive.

What is going on, if the LR elevates in any regards it takes load off the RR Spring. The Car is a 2005 Mars Car. Any input would be interesting for discussions purposes.

LF 550
RF 325
RR 300
LR 225
5th Arm 300 33 inches out
J Bar 1" below Pinion, and 9.5 on the frame
Left Side 54.2
Rear 54.3
Cross 45.1

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-09-2016, 04:56 PM
Has anyone ever had a car, or specifically a Mastersbilt, that was so LR dominate that if you ran more than 0 to 10 lbs of bite the it car would loose side bite and forward drive dramatically? My car has sucked all year, and last week I was so frustrated that I thought what would be the wrong thing to do to make the car come off the corner and have more side bite. I wen from 140 lbs of bite to 30 lbs reverse bite and the car came alive? makes no sense to me, it had lots of side bite and lots of forward drive.

What is going on, if the LR elevates in any regards it takes load off the RR Spring. The Car is a 2005 Mars Car. Any input would be interesting for discussions purposes.

LF 550
RF 325
RR 300
LR 225
5th Arm 300 33 inches out
J Bar 1" below Pinion, and 9.5 on the frame
Left Side 54.2
Rear 54.3
Cross 45.1

New car to you? New problem?

If this is a car you have had and the problem is new, did you lower any weight or heavy items that attach to the frame?

I will add that the j bar rake is pretty extreme compared to what I would run and Smackdown cars don't seem to like a ton of rake.

a25rjr
08-09-2016, 05:28 PM
According to your setup, it looks to me that you are having to heavily load your rr to make it work....is it too hard or old? But I wouldn't change it if it helped that much. Those tires don't know or care what kind of spring/weight is on it! :)

Matt49
08-09-2016, 08:18 PM
Are you sure your RR ride height is correct? When we got our new LXT car, we were not told that the ride height was 3/4" taller than the GenX. Until we figured it out, we were having similar issues to what you're describing due to the RR ride height being too low.

lcpestka
08-10-2016, 07:12 AM
This car is new to me, I have always run GRTs and they are completely new to me. The car does not roll really, more it dives and sinks into the ground. I am assuming this is why high wedge doesn't work on a Mastersbilt cause it is always loading the LR. I typically run a 250 rr and we also run on one of the worst hard tires in the country so some things may be extreme to others, but want to know if others are running bite in the 30 to 50 lb range

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-10-2016, 08:18 AM
This car is new to me, I have always run GRTs and they are completely new to me. The car does not roll really, more it dives and sinks into the ground. I am assuming this is why high wedge doesn't work on a Mastersbilt cause it is always loading the LR. I typically run a 250 rr and we also run on one of the worst hard tires in the country so some things may be extreme to others, but want to know if others are running bite in the 30 to 50 lb range

High wedge doesn't work on a Mastersbilt? I know that is what they say (Keith n tader), but it certainly can be done and is how I have almost always done it.

But to your question, there are cars on the bite you ask about both Masters and other brands.

TheJet-09
08-10-2016, 04:55 PM
I've been at 150# bite (2007 Smackdown) for a while and really struggle getting in and off when it's slick (lack of side bite has been the biggest issue) so I'm always messing with the J-Bar and RR links, etc. I recently dropped to 80# bite and it's like a new car. Unbelievable how much better it is. I've also been playing with a 1" spacer on the LR and have liked the results so far.

Matt49
08-10-2016, 06:16 PM
What MasterSbilt car do you have? Smack, GenX, LXT, MBH? And what is your right rear ride height? You'd be really surprised how little it takes to mess up handling with RR ride height.

lcpestka
08-11-2016, 07:15 AM
What MasterSbilt car do you have? Smack, GenX, LXT, MBH? And what is your right rear ride height? You'd be really surprised how little it takes to mess up handling with RR ride height.

Smack Car, S7 front end and the RR Ride Hite is at 7 3/8

a25rjr
08-11-2016, 07:31 AM
Have you tried moving the rr shock to the inner mount on the frame. That was one of our go-to adjustments for the feature. But, you need to do it at the shop first while youre on the scales. It took 21 rounds on our Ohlins to get the ride height right.