PDA

View Full Version : GRT racecars

Centeroff
08-17-2016, 11:58 PM
Wow, just watched dirt on dirt and seen where they went from selling 350 cars a year down to 25 DLM's a year. Back in the late 90s Early 2000s I watched those GRT's win a million races. Dominant really

BTExpress
08-18-2016, 05:33 AM
Racing is a fickle sport, you can go from a "Pea(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)" to a "Feather Duster" real quick, sometimes without realizing what happened. It is a tough sport to stay on top, i.e. GRT, CJ Rayburn, Warrior and BWRC. Look how everyone wanted to write off Rocket until Mark Richards came out with the new XR1?......Chassis and engine building is a tough profession.

george w
08-18-2016, 05:47 AM
Enjoyed the article on dod, nice to hear there acknowledgement an good to hear there taking action.

GA-DIRT
08-18-2016, 06:13 AM
Well things are looking up,good luck🏁

Josh Bayko
08-18-2016, 06:36 AM
In this DLM chassis business, you either adapt or you die on the vine. Guys like Mark Richards and Audie Swartz have done a fantastic job of adapting. Guys like CJ Rayburn and Joe Garrison haven't. Yet.

zach51
08-18-2016, 08:27 AM
The most shocking part of the article was that they were still building 25! I would have guessed less than 10.

MotoMatt
08-18-2016, 08:55 AM
With the reduced number of late model racers out there I don't think they are crazy putting their resources into the modified business. I have seen a lot of GRT mods starting to show up in central Iowa and doing good too. Definitely a bigger market with virtually the same price for a chassis(bare) as a LM and they sure do wreck the hell out of them for $300 winners purse too.

Josh Bayko
08-18-2016, 09:31 AM
With the reduced number of late model racers out there I don't think they are crazy putting their resources into the modified business. I have seen a lot of GRT mods starting to show up in central Iowa and doing good too. Definitely a bigger market with virtually the same price for a chassis(bare) as a LM and they sure do wreck the hell out of them for $300 winners purse too.

I don't blame them for focusing on mods either. When running a business, you go gotta go where the money is.

powerslide
08-18-2016, 09:59 AM
But at the same time this is a trickle down sport. Stuff they learn from the late model program will most likely apply to the modified program as well. They do a lot of gimmicky stuff at GRT and I think a lot of the 40hr a week guys that just want the meat and potatoes catch on to that and go somewhere else.

Krooser
08-18-2016, 12:01 PM
GRT built a bunch of raised rail mods for IMCA and WISSOTA that had
to be changed back to stock since they were deemed illegal in both series. Some other builders copied GRT and had to follow suit...

a25rjr
08-18-2016, 01:42 PM
Well things are looking up,good luck‰a

You owned a couple of them GOATS, didn't ya? LOL

george w
08-18-2016, 02:32 PM
GRT built a bunch of raised rail mods for IMCA and WISSOTA that had
to be changed back to stock since they were deemed illegal in both series. Some other builders copied GRT and had to follow suit... if i remember right they offered to fix them all for free after the rule change???

Centeroff
08-18-2016, 03:00 PM
Can anybody recall seeing a GRT car win a DLM race this year?

nuff said
08-18-2016, 03:10 PM
I think Jason Fitzgerald has won some regional shows in Fla/Ga

NormP
08-18-2016, 04:44 PM

Tony Jackson Jr. won back in June. I think he switched from Longhorn to GRT. I might be mistaken.

MBR Performance
08-18-2016, 04:52 PM
Audie Swartz has done a great job of adapting and innovating. Mark Richards has done a great job of once again copying and marketing. Definitely not innovating

dirtdobber45
08-18-2016, 05:09 PM
No offense to Audie but I havent heard that name mention in a while except for Jackie B and D. Linville who else is in one..that doing good?

a25rjr
08-18-2016, 05:12 PM
Audie Swartz has done a great job of adapting and innovating. Mark Richards has done a great job of once again copying and marketing. Definitely not innovating

He must know a thing or two about building a BETTER copy!

GEAR_HEAD
08-18-2016, 05:27 PM
No offense to Audie but I havent heard that name mention in a while except for Jackie B and D. Linville who else is in one..that doing good?

Tim Dohm is in one.

MBR Performance
08-18-2016, 05:45 PM
Tim Dohm won the world of outlaws show at Tyler County in his Swartz. I believe Ryan Markham is in one also and winning. As for Rocket who other than Josh is making news nationally? No one

dirtdobber45
08-18-2016, 06:03 PM
Tim Dohm won the world of outlaws show at Tyler County in his Swartz. I believe Ryan Markham is in one also and winning. As for Rocket who other than Josh is making news nationally? No oneThanx I had forgotten Tim ...be honest the only rocket I like is the one Jimmy O is in

dirtdobber45
08-18-2016, 06:06 PM
It would be nice to see a GRT and a Swartz on a nationally level like to see a TNT also

Josh Bayko
08-18-2016, 07:53 PM
Tim Dohm won the world of outlaws show at Tyler County in his Swartz. I believe Ryan Markham is in one also and winning. As for Rocket who other than Josh is making news nationally? No one

Who is making news nationally in a Swartz?

No one.

zeroracing
08-18-2016, 08:17 PM
I hate to point out the obvious but a highly funded well driven house car with who knows what under the bodywork is a poor indicator of potential performance of an off the shelf standard car from the builder. In the case of the smaller builders what you see is what you get or very close, the bigger guys have more $$ to try more things.

I think a bigger indicator of which chassis one should buy is the following:
1. Is it safe?
2. Does it have the potential?
3. Are they going to help me get it figured out?

The house car of a big builder has 3 nailed all the time regardless, from having engineers help out to just plain being smart with the cars. Getting number 3 from a big builder can be difficult often because they are busy working on building a large number of cars or they are trying to figure out whats next on their own car.

The other issue is how much you spend with a manufacture can sometimes dictate what level help you get, this is a common complaint with Rocket. I have spent $ 50 with Audie before and he spent hours on the phone helping me, after that I spent who knows what on a new car, same support and willing to spend time. For a smaller team that is huge, having the help to get answers on building the car, troubleshooting, etc... With the small number of cars GRT is building for late models and trying to build a business up I would think they would be helpful.

blncfn57
08-18-2016, 08:59 PM

Not in big numbers obviously, but pictures of winners pop up on their facebook every so often.

busterhess
08-18-2016, 10:07 PM
Tim Dohm is more of a regional racer than a touring seiries regular. With that being said you need to look more on a regional and local level to see which chassis is winning more races because thats where most of the cars are. There are only 25 to 30 guys who run nationally and only a hand full of them win races on a regular basis. So Does one chassis builder win a bunch on races nationally? Look to your regional and local showsto see which chassis builders really dominate. I think you will find that rockets do pretty well all over the country as where other manufactures do well in their particular region. Are they good copiers or are they good business people and inovators themselves. I think a little of all three. Regardless it all boils down to how many cars that you sell year in an year out and if I where a beating man I would bet nobody has outsold them for quite a while.

old fan
08-18-2016, 10:24 PM
Who is making news nationally in a Swartz? No one.do they have to make news nationally good grief

old fan
08-18-2016, 10:26 PM
Grt has won on the local level this year

onlyfacts
08-19-2016, 09:01 AM
Tim Dohm won the world of outlaws show at Tyler County in his Swartz. I believe Ryan Markham is in one also and winning. As for Rocket who other than Josh is making news nationally? No one I pretty sure Rocket has plenty of drivers winning. Sheppard has done well on the Lucas series all season. As for Josh being the only driver making news nationally who else in a Rocket is campaigning that is in the league to do so? Who is making national news in a Longhorn other than Davenport? Nobody. Who is making national news in Capital other than Clanton? Nobody. Who has made national news in a Black Diamond other than Erb? Nobody. Who has made national news in a Club 29? Nobody. Who has made news nationally in a Swartz other than Dohm one race? Nobody. Who has made national news in a Barry Wright other than Owens one race? Nobody. Who is making national news in a Pierce other than Bobby? Nobody. Who is making national in a Bloomquist other than Bloomquist? McDowell yeah he has won one Lucas race But so has Sheppard. and Bloomquist isn't really in the volume chassis business anyways. So what's your point? Name a chassis company that has 2 drivers with 3 or more national wins Lucas or WOO this year.... Max Blair has won over 25 races in his region and a 10K to win this year in a Rocket. Dale Holidage has won like 13 races in his region this year with a Rocket. And I didn't know Ryan Markham was running a national series.. what national series race did Ryan win that I missed? How many local races did Ryan win this year in the Swartz and how many in his Rocket?

dirtsforracin
08-19-2016, 09:04 AM
If I was buying a new car today, I doubt very seriously that I would even look at anything but a Swartz. Or a Swartz by Boggs. Seems like they win about every race around my area anyway. And like was stated before, You can't beat the tech support that you get from Audie. Whether you spend $20 dollars or $20,000 dollars.

BTExpress
08-19-2016, 09:21 AM
In my opinion, the POST OF THE YEAR....well done facts!

I pretty sure Rocket has plenty of drivers winning. Sheppard has done well on the Lucas series all season. As for Josh being the only driver making news nationally who else in a Rocket is campaigning that is in the league to do so? Who is making national news in a Longhorn other than Davenport? Nobody. Who is making national news in Capital other than Clanton? Nobody. Who has made national news in a Black Diamond other than Erb? Nobody. Who has made national news in a Club 29? Nobody. Who has made news nationally in a Swartz other than Dohm one race? Nobody. Who has made national news in a Barry Wright other than Owens one race? Nobody. Who is making national news in a Pierce other than Bobby? Nobody. Who is making national in a Bloomquist other than Bloomquist? McDowell yeah he has won one Lucas race But so has Sheppard. and Bloomquist isn't really in the volume chassis business anyways. So what's your point? Name a chassis company that has 2 drivers with 3 or more national wins Lucas or WOO this year.... Max Blair has won over 25 races in his region and a 10K to win this year in a Rocket. Dale Holidage has won like 13 races in his region this year with a Rocket. And I didn't know Ryan Markham was running a national series.. what national series race did Ryan win that I missed? How many local race did Ryan win this year in the Swartz and how many in his Rocket?

Centeroff
08-19-2016, 10:52 AM
Grt is one big name away from getting back up front. Give Bloomquist a month in a GRT and he will have the thing up front. Racing is a monkey see monkey do sport. Hejl Bloomquist sold Cornett, custom, and now Andy Durham more engines then they can make. A good driver and a man that understands how a car work can put a lot of money in a lot of people's pockets.

*WEAVER*
08-19-2016, 11:24 AM
It would be fun if Bloomquist or Davenport won in a GRT one night to see how many they sell the next day.

old fan
08-19-2016, 11:26 AM
What chassi e did erb win the dream hmmmmm

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
08-19-2016, 11:33 AM
Grt is one big name away from getting back up front. Give Bloomquist a month in a GRT and he will have the thing up front. Racing is a monkey see monkey do sport. Hejl Bloomquist sold Cornett, custom, and now Andy Durham more engines then they can make. A good driver and a man that understands how a car work can put a lot of money in a lot of people's pockets.

Thats why bloomer hired a camera guy to snap pics of jds car last yr . But hes smart enough to figure it out by looking at a dominate chassis and make his car close to it.

onlyfacts
08-19-2016, 12:05 PM
Thats why bloomer hired a camera guy to snap pics of jds car last yr . But hes smart enough to figure it out by looking at a dominate chassis and make his car close to it.Isn't this a form of copying?

a25rjr
08-19-2016, 12:41 PM
Isn't this a form of copying?

Bloomer could outrun half of them with a canoe and 1 paddle! lol

onlyfacts
08-19-2016, 12:45 PM
Bloomer could outrun half of them with a canoe and 1 paddle! lolWith one arm in a cast...

GRT62
08-19-2016, 02:19 PM
I guess I'll go ahead and say it sense no one else wants to. Good luck with getting any kind of help from GRT I love their cars but getting any kind of help over the phone takes an act of God

Jim11h
08-19-2016, 03:59 PM
Doug drown has won in his new Swartz as well.

LateModel B23
08-19-2016, 04:19 PM
I guess I'll go ahead and say it sense no one else wants to. Good luck with getting any kind of help from GRT I love their cars but getting any kind of help over the phone takes an act of God

Very true.