PDA

View Full Version : Question About Portsmouth & Tyler County

bigdaddyt
08-24-2016, 08:32 AM
I am going to the Lucas Oil races at Portsmouth and Tyler County on Labor Day weekend. It will be my first time going to either track. What to expect... seating? racing? crowd?

Jeep_55_Wormer
08-24-2016, 09:03 AM
I've never been to the Labor Day weekend show at Portsmouth, but I've been to the DTWC every year there. Racing is good, it's a fast racetrack. Seating is pretty good. Don't sit in turn 1 unless you want to get blasting with chunks of mud. Seating goes down the back stretch too.

As for Tyler County, racing is awesome, HOWEVER, it's the dusty racetrack I've ever been to. Just bring goggles and a bandanna to cover your mouth. Seating isn't very good. It does go all the way down the front stretch and into turn 1. I suggest getting there early to get a good seat. That place will be standing room only. Unless you have T-Mobile, you won't have any cell service within 10 miles of the track. The track sits back in the woods. You'll feel like your at the Hillbilly 100.

You won't be disappointed with both tracks.

Pennsboro23
08-24-2016, 09:04 AM
I can speak for Tyler County, you sit right on top of the track. Expect to get dusty, Tyler County isn't for the regular race fan, it's for the die hards. A lot of people complain that it's too dusty. However, if you love side by side racing, you'll love Tyler County. It's a lightening fast 1/4 mile. Action all over the track. The locals run really well there so don't be surprised when they're mixing it up with the top touring guys.

As far as seating, like I said, you're on top of the track. Get there earlier so you can get a good seat. My favorite place to sit is turn 1 but the front stretch is good too. Crowd will probably be huge with the race moving back to Tyler.

Hope you enjoy it. I'm sure if you like good racing, you'll be happy.

Centeroff
08-24-2016, 09:25 AM
Pennsboro nailed it .

zyoung25
08-24-2016, 09:28 AM
Prp can get dusty and one laned, but that can happen anywhere. The crowd is always big at the prp lucas shows, it never seems to fill up for this race like it does the dtwc though. IMO they have some of the best food you'll ever get at a dirt track, nothing fancy, just good ol hot dogs and cheeseburgers, but it's some good chit. I'd suggest ya get there fairly and get ya a good seat.

WVRACEFAN
08-24-2016, 09:48 AM
If you get a pit pass at tyler co it opens up a lot more seating because the bleachers run from turn 2 all the way down the backstretch To turn 3 as well, the food at Tyler is also very good get the fish sandwich and like mentionEd before bring your goggles, no better racing in the country than tyler co,

Finnfan
08-24-2016, 10:26 AM
I agree with zyoung25 about PRP's food, it just seems to be a higher quality all the way around. IMO a big plus is the buffet style line where the food is already prepared so everything moves along much quicker and you don't get stuck at the concession stand for 45 minutes.

I've been to PRP 3 times, and the racing is...eh. The first race I saw was OK, but the last 2 times the track locked down and it was literally a one groove race track, the leaders couldn't even pass the lap cars. Since it's about a 4-4 1/2 drive for me, I probably won't make it for the DTWC on concession food alone. Too bad, because overall it's a very nice facility.

Centeroff
08-24-2016, 11:03 AM
Tyler county isn't much to look at but the boys get down up there. Some of these mommas boys are afraid of the dust and say other tracks are better but I'm telling you it's gonna be 2-3-4 wide all night

Josh Bayko
08-24-2016, 11:32 AM
Tyler County is one of the raciest tracks I've ever been to, if not the raciest. I love that place.

wvkidrocketfan
08-24-2016, 02:36 PM
I've never been to the Labor Day weekend show at Portsmouth, but I've been to the DTWC every year there. Racing is good, it's a fast racetrack. Seating is pretty good. Don't sit in turn 1 unless you want to get blasting with chunks of mud. Seating goes down the back stretch too.

As for Tyler County, racing is awesome, HOWEVER, it's the dusty racetrack I've ever been to. Just bring goggles and a bandanna to cover your mouth. Seating isn't very good. It does go all the way down the front stretch and into turn 1. I suggest getting there early to get a good seat. That place will be standing room only. Unless you have T-Mobile, you won't have any cell service within 10 miles of the track. The track sits back in the woods. You'll feel like your at the Hillbilly 100.

You won't be disappointed with both tracks.

Just a little correction there. AT&T is the only cell service at the track. There is wifi available on the fairgrounds but you pay for it for so many hours I think. Don't expect to use your data plan there because with all the phones there it bogs it down to non existent. But you will be able to text and call with AT&T.

bigdaddyt
08-25-2016, 11:19 AM
Is Tyler County itself worth a 7 hr and 430 mile drive one way?

Pennsboro23
08-25-2016, 11:24 AM
is tyler county itself worth a 7 hr and 430 mile drive one way?

do it!.....

GEAR_HEAD
08-25-2016, 11:38 AM

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bonz45
08-25-2016, 11:56 AM
Absolutely!

chupp n bloomer fan
08-25-2016, 12:57 PM
I agree with zyoung25 about PRP's food, it just seems to be a higher quality all the way around. IMO a big plus is the buffet style line where the food is already prepared so everything moves along much quicker and you don't get stuck at the concession stand for 45 minutes.

I've been to PRP 3 times, and the racing is...eh. The first race I saw was OK, but the last 2 times the track locked down and it was literally a one groove race track, the leaders couldn't even pass the lap cars. Since it's about a 4-4 1/2 drive for me, I probably won't make it for the DTWC on concession food alone. Too bad, because overall it's a very nice facility.That's my take on PRP. If Mother Nature helps out or it's a one day show, usually pretty good. But once it starts getting bottom dominant, it's done. Shame too, I like PRP, they put in a ton of effort, nice setting, fast track, and good cars.

WVdirtguy1
08-25-2016, 01:23 PM
I miss going to Tyler County we used to go to Interstate 79 Fridays and Tyler County on Saturdays when I lived in Clarksburg. You will see cars running from the guard rails down to the bottom and everywhere in between. I remember one weekend Elkins rained out and the guys ran to Tyler County Gary Dalton started on the tail and ran right up by the guard rails with a lap or two to go he took the lead and won.

GEAR_HEAD
08-25-2016, 04:50 PM
That's my take on PRP. If Mother Nature helps out or it's a one day show, usually pretty good. But once it starts getting bottom dominant, it's done. Shame too, I like PRP, they put in a ton of effort, nice setting, fast track, and good cars.

They should have never made that track bigger. Nobody should ever make any track bigger. Plus PRP can never figure out how to do track prep without mother nature's help.

chupp n bloomer fan
08-25-2016, 04:59 PM
They should have never made that track bigger. Nobody should ever make any track bigger. Plus PRP can never figure out how to do track prep without mother nature's help.What bites them is a couple things. The top levels off, literally a plateau. And a lane up from the bottom is a distinct groove. And I've been told the flooding actually hurts them with the silt that gets put down.

The owners own a construction company. Use GPS, regrade it and I think it's a winner as is.

cutman
08-25-2016, 05:09 PM
They should have never made that track bigger. Nobody should ever make any track bigger. Plus PRP can never figure out how to do track prep without mother nature's help.

Wish someone would of told Lawrenceburg that

Clayton_Wetter
08-25-2016, 05:16 PM
I would never drive over 250 miles to a track that is always very dusty. For one thing, there is equipment, water, and work that can fix that problem. If a track can get away with little or no track prep, then that's just a shame as it promotes other tracks to follow suit. But they can do it without people like me that are willing to stand on our principles and not give them a pass for getting away with it. I've done enough of that. I don't care if they are ten wide every lap. Someone else can have it.

No wonder the fan counts at many tracks are falling off in recent years. If not for the much cheaper fuel prices this year many tracks would dust themselves out of business totally.

Enjoy your dusty three wide races though if you can!!! And have a nice day. Settle for anything as long as your heroes, pretty cars, and loud motors make you happy!!!

PRP after a good rain is top notch though, I've enjoyed the racing there as much as any track I've been to, when the track has moisture.

Tyler, I've never been there as the 330 mile drive to such a dusty place is just not going to happen, even if the racing is the best there is.

Centeroff
08-25-2016, 05:28 PM
Clayton you can't fix the dust at Tyler county. I don't care how much water you put down. Water it 24/7 and that place will dust up. On the other hand there is a way to fix the problem. Use very little water for the 50 the night before, let the track rubber up, put a quick coat of water over the rubber and let it be. Moral of the story is the only way to stop dust up there is let the tires do the work. The dirt up there is almost a sandy yellowish tinted dirt. I say let it take rubber and let em roll

FutureLegend
08-25-2016, 05:47 PM
Clayton you can't fix the dust at Tyler county. I don't care how much water you put down. Water it 24/7 and that place will dust up. On the other hand there is a way to fix the problem. Use very little water for the 50 the night before, let the track rubber up, put a quick coat of water over the rubber and let it be. Moral of the story is the only way to stop dust up there is let the tires do the work. The dirt up there is almost a sandy yellowish tinted dirt. I say let it take rubber and let em roll

One thing I'll actually agree with you on. Tyler County is not dusty because they don't do track prep or add enough water. The track is always heavy. To many people call it dusty, when actually it isn't, it's dirty. Something about the dirt on that track, I've heard it has to do with the silt from the creek they get their water from, but the cars actually throw it up in the air to the point it "rains" on you. One thing is for sure, the dirtier it is, the better the racing is. If you leave there at the end of the night less shocked by how good the racing was than how dirty you are, go to an asphalt track because dirt racing isn't for you.

Clayton_Wetter
08-25-2016, 05:56 PM
One thing I'll actually agree with you on. Tyler County is not dusty because they don't do track prep or add enough water. The track is always heavy. To many people call it dusty, when actually it isn't, it's dirty. Something about the dirt on that track, I've heard it has to do with the silt from the creek they get their water from, but the cars actually throw it up in the air to the point it "rains" on you. One thing is for sure, the dirtier it is, the better the racing is. If you leave there at the end of the night less shocked by how good the racing was than how dirty you are, go to an asphalt track because dirt racing isn't for you.

You guys know more about Tyler than I do, I'm sure. I'll take your word for it, if you also know that they do cut the track up at least six inches deep before watering and rolling it.

I know some tracks LOOK like they water the crap out of them, when in reality all of it just sits on top and doesn't soak in.

BTW Thank you for having the 912Project in your signature!

GEAR_HEAD
08-25-2016, 05:57 PM

That is a horrible idea. Tyler is not good when it rubbers up. How about just letting the dirt fly and enjoying all the passing? The dirt has never been an issue for me. It's from the silt in the water that they get from the creek. It's wet dirt that rains on you, not dust. There's a huge difference there. They dump tons of water on that track after they dig it up, which also adds more silt.

FutureLegend
08-25-2016, 06:01 PM
You guys know more about Tyler than I do, I'm sure. I'll take your word for it, if you also know that they do cut the track up at least six inches deep before watering and rolling it.

I know some tracks LOOK like they water the crap out of them, when in reality all of it just sits on top and doesn't soak in.

Tyler is one track I've never been afraid to defend because they do actually work on the track. Just as you said, they do cut the track deep and add water. They also do what most tracks don't and cut the track during multi say shows. I've seen that track look like a complete mud pit in the morning from being cut and watered and then smooth and tacky right at race time. Guess what, after 15-20 laps the dirt is starting to fall again, but the track is still wet and tacky.

Clayton_Wetter
08-25-2016, 06:21 PM
Tyler is one track I've never been afraid to defend because they do actually work on the track. Just as you said, they do cut the track deep and add water. They also do what most tracks don't and cut the track during multi say shows. I've seen that track look like a complete mud pit in the morning from being cut and watered and then smooth and tacky right at race time. Guess what, after 15-20 laps the dirt is starting to fall again, but the track is still wet and tacky.

Thank you for telling me that. I am always open to listening and you have convinced me that they are making a good effort and the silt and dirt are the problem. I was wrong to place blame on the track prep.

Scott Boesel
08-25-2016, 11:20 PM

Well worth it I drove 16 hours one way to go there a few years ago it's worth every penny

kd1
08-25-2016, 11:34 PM
Tyler Co may have been the dustiest track I have ever been to in my life ..but the racing was great .. I always said that if I ever got to go back that I would take my old helmet from my go-cart racing days with plenty of tare-offs and wear it while watching from the stands!

Centeroff
08-26-2016, 12:15 AM
Hear head have you ever seen Tyler county turn to black ice? I have! 2005 Hillbilly hundred Mikey Marlar came from dead last to win. Best race I ever watched. Slide job after slide job. Lap times slowed down over 4 seconds but I have to say the most passing I ever seen in one race

Pennsboro23
08-26-2016, 09:41 AM
Hear head have you ever seen Tyler county turn to black ice? I have! 2005 Hillbilly hundred Mikey Marlar came from dead last to win. Best race I ever watched. Slide job after slide job. Lap times slowed down over 4 seconds but I have to say the most passing I ever seen in one race

That was a good race but that was 12 years ago because it was actually 2004. I'm not sure I've seen Tyler have a good race when it rubbered up since. The good thing is, it rarely rubbers up. The dust doesn't bother me, the dirtier it gets, the better the racing. Bring on the Hillbilly.

GEAR_HEAD
08-26-2016, 11:32 AM
That was a good race but that was 12 years ago because it was actually 2004. I'm not sure I've seen Tyler have a good race when it rubbered up since. The good thing is, it rarely rubbers up. The dust doesn't bother me, the dirtier it gets, the better the racing. Bring on the Hillbilly.

I keep telling him that but he doesn't listen. Reading comprehension seems to be an issue for him.

FutureLegend
08-26-2016, 03:23 PM

I agree with you in one post and then you say something like this. Obviously that is the only time you've ever been there that it took rubber. When they started bringing in the Outlaws they prepped the track a little differently the first few times, I'm guessing so it was more to the outlaws liking. The track took rubber and those races, even though they were still better than most, were snoozers compared to regular racing at Tyler County. Just because Mikey was able to come from the back in a steel block car, which in itself shows the track was entirely way to slick, on a rubbered up surface doesn't mean they'll all be good, and honestly any race since the 2004 Hillbilly that it's taken rubber hasn't been good.

GEAR_HEAD
08-26-2016, 04:35 PM

I was at that race. You seem to forget that Marlar was in a steel block which helped him on the black ice and he was one of the few that could pass. The race was a choo choo at the end and Marlar had to get into the back of Davey J and get him loose to get around him and take the lead because of the freight train conditions. So what part of "black slick doesn't work at Tyler anymore" can you not comprehend? I've seen black slick at Tyler a few times since then and it's not good. I'm willing to draw a picture if that will help.

Dirt Draggin
08-26-2016, 04:56 PM
That is a horrible idea. Tyler is not good when it rubbers up. How about just letting the dirt fly and enjoying all the passing? The dirt has never been an issue for me. It's from the silt in the water that they get from the creek. It's wet dirt that rains on you, not dust. There's a huge difference there. They dump tons of water on that track after they dig it up, which also adds more silt.For once I partially agree with you! Not good when it rubbers up(which is rare).I personally don't think it's just the silt from the water,unless by saying silt you're quantifying the presence of sand in it also.It certainly has some kind of grit(sand) in it,a lot of you have had it grinding in your teeth, I'm sure! Calling it wet doesn't fit either-it will drift downstream w/o wind way down the valley(cars always coated in lot).When there is fog closing in there it may pick up moisture that way,but wet dirt that rains on you-not likely(there have been clods known to fly there for sure).

Centeroff
08-26-2016, 05:17 PM
Gear head that race was 12 years ago. These cars and chassis have came a very long way since 2004 and I know how hard it can be to comprehend but these guys have figured out ways to pass cars when the track is slick. black ice creates the best racing in the country at times. I'd rather watch a car come from dead last and win in the slick than eat a bunch of dust personally. It's gonna be a good race either way but I say let the track pack in and take rubber and may the best driver win! If the dust creates a better race I'm all for it. I will be there with my crown royal ready to roll

FutureLegend
08-26-2016, 07:14 PM
Gear head that race was 12 years ago. These cars and chassis have came a very long way since 2004 and I know how hard it can be to comprehend but these guys have figured out ways to pass cars when the track is slick. black ice creates the best racing in the country at times. I'd rather watch a car come from dead last and win in the slick than eat a bunch of dust personally. It's gonna be a good race either way but I say let the track pack in and take rubber and may the best driver win! If the dust creates a better race I'm all for it. I will be there with my crown royal ready to roll

I say you don't get to to many races. I got to roughly 40-50 races a year all over the country, and I can count on one hand the number of good races I've seen in rubbered up conditions. Just say what you really want to, you want it to rubber up so bloomer can start up front and actually have a shot at winning, because let's face it, his performance at Tyler county has been less than stellar.

GEAR_HEAD
08-26-2016, 07:21 PM

Rubber is not good. Ever. Period.

Centeroff
08-26-2016, 08:09 PM
Future I go to my fair share of races but nowhere near 50. You should know it doesn't matter what the track does or where Scott starts in any race because he has won more races than most of us have watched. If you go to 50 races a year you obviously have the opportunity to see ZERO win a half a million or so, roughly. I just like a dry slick track because it takes the wide open one hit wonders out of the equation unless a cushion forms of course. I like a drivers track where the guy with the best car doesn't always win. Bouncing off a cushion doesn't impress me much because all you need to win on the cushion is a car that won't win anywhere else on the track. I just wanna see a good show

Centeroff
08-26-2016, 08:23 PM
Gearhead and futurelegend. You guys got me literally lol right now. You say a dry slick rubbered up track is never any good. Simply go to DOD and watch the best finishes of 2015. The first 8 I watched were all on dry, slick rubbered up tracks with a cushion. Not 6 of the first 8, not 7 of the first 8 but 8of 8 beat finishes of 2015 were on a dry, slick, rubbered up track. I was wrong once or twice in my life but apparently the people that count over at DOD agree. The dry slick is where the passing happens fellas. When the guys that start in the back make a run towards the front

GEAR_HEAD
08-26-2016, 08:46 PM
Gearhead and futurelegend. You guys got me literally lol right now. You say a dry slick rubbered up track is never any good. Simply go to DOD and watch the best finishes of 2015. The first 8 I watched were all on dry, slick rubbered up tracks with a cushion. Not 6 of the first 8, not 7 of the first 8 but 8of 8 beat finishes of 2015 were on a dry, slick, rubbered up track. I was wrong once or twice in my life but apparently the people that count over at DOD agree. The dry slick is where the passing happens fellas. When the guys that start in the back make a run towards the front

What the hell were you smoking when you watched the video? They were slick but NOT rubbered up. It is impossible for a track to be dry slick and rubbered up as you claim. It is either dry slick OR rubbered up. It can't be both.

Some tracks do race better when they slick off. No track races better when it starts taking rubber.