PDA

View Full Version : Bloomquist to run A-mod nationals

jensenracing18
08-25-2016, 11:14 AM
well put the rumors to bed... we now know where bloomer will be the weekend of the world he is officially entered into the modified nationals at Mississippi thunder speedway

Krooser
08-25-2016, 11:16 AM
Hmmm...120 miles from home

jensenracing18
08-25-2016, 11:17 AM
just posted 44 minutes ago on Mississippi thunder speedways Facebook page

weatherman85
08-25-2016, 11:45 AM
They have Jimmy Owens listed in their pre-entry list as well.

badacefaist19
08-25-2016, 12:39 PM
Hmmm...120 miles from home

It's in Wisconsin.

jensenracing18
08-25-2016, 01:41 PM
yea more like 800+ miles

JCSullivan00
08-25-2016, 01:47 PM
yea more like 800+ miles

He means HIS home. Not Bloomquists home.

jensenracing18
08-25-2016, 01:52 PM
ahh i see it now up in the corner he is from Wisconsin thanks.. my bad!

00Hdmn
08-25-2016, 02:17 PM
Who's car will he be in?

W2Racing09
08-25-2016, 02:55 PM
Who's car will he be in?

Someone online said a Lethal Chassis (which are built by David Stremme)

You know what they say about believing everything you read online...

Thanks,
Jeff.

tb1545
08-25-2016, 04:56 PM
Bet it's an LG2

waaac77
08-25-2016, 05:11 PM
Probably an MB customs. Let's just hope he doesn't remove the J bar.
So when are Sheppard, Thornton Jr and Satterlee signing up?

rickybrown1952
08-25-2016, 05:15 PM
How about owens he used to be good in a modified

Centeroff
08-25-2016, 05:23 PM
We all know what Owens can do in a modified but anyone ever see Scott in a modified?

*WEAVER*
08-25-2016, 05:26 PM
Yes, Scott ran a modified a few times back when they had the Alltel 100 at Batesville, actually won it.

FutureLegend
08-25-2016, 05:43 PM
How about owens he used to be good in a modified

Owens is already entered. He's driving one of his car owner's mods.

tb1545
08-25-2016, 05:47 PM
Interesting short article on the all tel 100
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp-0410-batesville-speedway/

*WEAVER*
08-25-2016, 05:51 PM
Looks like he was running a Larry Shaw by Jeff Taylor chassis, I was trying to remember what kind of car he ran.

MI Dirt Fan
08-25-2016, 05:57 PM
Yes, Scott ran a modified a few times back when they had the Alltel 100 at Batesville, actually won it.
Won the Alltell 100 in 2004. Paid $100,000. I think he has a couple other starts also.

Centeroff
08-25-2016, 05:59 PM
Lapped all but 4 cars: these modifieds have came along way in 12 years. I look for it to be a little tighter race than that lol

MI Dirt Fan
08-25-2016, 06:04 PM
And I believe it was also an IMCA sanction race???

Krooser
08-25-2016, 09:49 PM
Thanks guys for clearing up where I live... got outta my Kenworth today and started to head south and east by mistake! Not that there's anything wrong with south and east!

old fan
08-25-2016, 10:24 PM
BUT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST86JM1RPl0

kidrock
08-25-2016, 10:30 PM
Someone online said a Lethal Chassis (which are built by David Stremme)

You know what they say about believing everything you read online...

Thanks,
Jeff.

The lethal Chassis by David Stremme won at Lincoln Speedway with Kenny Wallace behind the wheel

GregA12
08-25-2016, 10:37 PM
The lethal Chassis by David Stremme won at Lincoln Speedway with Kenny Wallace behind the wheel
Those lethal cars are as good as it gets...and 25k for a roller. Johnny Broking at my home track in Hibbing Mn switched to those over the Mars cara they had and he has 20 feature wins. Been to Mississippi Thunder once. Really cool locale in the valley across from Winona MN. The setting there is memorable with 230+ mods a+b.Track is an average 3/8. Walls all around and wish it was wider but really cool setting.sorry the icorherent message but using some else's phone.

GregA12
08-25-2016, 10:45 PM
Interesting short article on the all tel 100
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp-0410-batesville-speedway/

Went down to Batesville for that
Bloomer stunk up the show and lapped up to about 5th in that Jeff Taylor car. Still a great show to see with 300 modS. Awesome racing all weekend there

Centeroff
08-25-2016, 11:03 PM
Kidrock called it. Those lethal chassis are some bad dudes. Stremme came up to a local track here in WV and stunk up the show. Made it look easy. Those cars have a unique stance and the bodies on the car are beautiful as well.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
08-25-2016, 11:09 PM
Kidrock called it. Those lethal chassis are some bad dudes. Stremme came up to a local track here in WV and stunk up the show. Made it look easy. Those cars have a unique stance and the bodies on the car are beautiful as well.

Idk if he is now but stremme didnt build the complete cars.
I heard he was putting some frt clips on ones that had been fabricaterd by another builder. That was the story i got.

GregA12
08-25-2016, 11:32 PM

I will agree those cars have that stance where they look like they're on train tracks.

zyoung25
08-26-2016, 12:51 AM
I don't see him going up there and running over these usmts guys like he the ones he put a beating on the ones in Arkansas years ago. The mods have evolved a TON since that time. This time around he'll have some rules he'll have to abide by.

We don't see Schatz come over and lay it on our guys, I don't see Scott or Jimmy either one going to that race and cleaning house.

GregA12
08-26-2016, 01:30 AM
I don't see him going up there and running over these usmts guys like he the ones he put a beating on the ones in Arkansas years ago. The mods have evolved a TON since that time. This time around he'll have some rules he'll have to abide by.

We don't see Schatz come over and lay it on our guys, I don't see Scott or Jimmy either one going to that race and cleaning house.
They were already going to have a huge crowd knowing their grandstands...which are very unique..all giant concrete steps you can bring your lawn chairs for. It'll be overflowing there on Saturday I'm thinking. As it will in Superior WI and Grand Forks ND that weekend.

And for the record on Schatz...he's been quietly getting better and better in a LM. The guy is already running up front on a regional level and it wouldn't surprise me to see him start winning nationally in the next 2 years with his talent, connections, and resources.

zyoung25
08-26-2016, 02:28 AM
And for the record on Schatz...he's been quietly getting better and better in a LM. The guy is already running up front on a regional level and it wouldn't surprise me to see him start winning nationally in the next 2 years with his talent, connections, and resources.

I wasn't knocking on Schatz at all, just stating a fact. Some seem to think Scott is going to go up there and make this look easy like he did 2004. Mods are on a different level than what they were then, I just don't see him going up there doing that again. This is probably a one shot deal for Scott, and he's got a couple weeks to get it together. It's not like he's going to have time to go out and race and shake the car down much before this happens.

I did see Donny got him a xr1. So he's got all the help he needs to get better in time.

MI Dirt Fan
08-26-2016, 02:33 AM

Rules? That's why he's racing a modified that weekend and not at the World. Mods may have evolved some since then but this is Bloomquist. We all know he can or runs some pretty exotic stuff.

zyoung25
08-26-2016, 08:21 AM
Rules? That's why he's racing a modified that weekend and not at the World. Mods may have evolved some since then but this is Bloomquist. We all know he can or runs some pretty exotic stuff.

Yea your right, this is Bloomquist, let's reflect back to how he done in that truck race, and the chilli bowl. Thats the last 2 times he's stepped out and raced another car on dirt and he got his a$$ kicked. He's not going up there and racing a bunch of other late model guys that decided to drive a mod like he did 04, these ol boys race for a living. Don't believe me, go find the results to that race.

I respect Scott and his knowledge, I just don't see him or anyone else that don't drive mods for living going up there and taking that money from them.

old fan
08-26-2016, 08:35 AM
also usra or ustms which ever are stricter on rules than most any other sanction

CIRF
08-26-2016, 08:36 AM
My intention is not to hi-jack this thread and I apologize up front.

However, I have a question. The statement was made that the modified drivers race for a living. I'm just curious as to how many modified drivers derive their living solely from their winnings driving a modified? I'm not talking about guys that work part time or build cars, etc., but guys that do nothing but drive a modified to feed, clothe and house themselves and their families.

Thanks.

old fan
08-26-2016, 08:37 AM
look up ustms you can say that about most racers cirf except nascar indy and top levels of drags

zeroracing
08-26-2016, 08:40 AM
To answer CIRF, very few from just racing, same as late models. Not many guys can make a go of it that way. Almost all sell parts, do shocks, bodies, chassis... Or own a family business / somebody else owns family business and funds everything, gives them money to live off of.

MotoMatt
08-26-2016, 08:53 AM
Ryan Gustin may be the only one and he doesn't run the whole USMTS schedule any more, he mixes in late models and off specials that pay the bills. Of course, he has an owner as deep of pockets as they get and who know what there arrangement is.

fryefan
08-26-2016, 10:27 AM

You hit the nail on the head. While it is possible that he or Jimmy could win, it will not be easy and I doubt that will occur. Sanders, Dilliard, Hughes, etc. will be tough for them to outrun.

CIRF
08-26-2016, 11:52 AM
To answer CIRF, very few from just racing, same as late models. Not many guys can make a go of it that way. Almost all sell parts, do shocks, bodies, chassis... Or own a family business / somebody else owns family business and funds everything, gives them money to live off of.Thanks for the reply, zeroracing. I thought what you posted in your reply probably was the case and I was pretty sure there are plenty of guys here, such as yourself, that would know some of the details.

I don't follow modified's so I'm at a distinct disadvantage to you guys that follow them closely. The statement that intimated that there are 100% professional modified drivers intrigued me. Generally speaking the modified's are a support class. I know there are shows where modified's are the headliner but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

Thanks, and once again, I apologize for the thread hi-jack.

W2Racing09
08-26-2016, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the reply, zeroracing. I thought what you posted in your reply probably was the case and I was pretty sure there are plenty of guys here, such as yourself, that would know some of the details.

I don't follow modified's so I'm at a distinct disadvantage to you guys that follow them closely. The statement that intimated that there are 100% professional modified drivers intrigued me. Generally speaking the modified's are a support class. I know there are shows where modified's are the headliner but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

Thanks, and once again, I apologize for the thread hi-jack.

They are the support class in SLM and Sprint country (like PA where I live, or in the IN/IL region where I assume you are from). When I was in college in ND I went to a lot of races around there and in MN, IA, SD, MT, etc. and Modifieds are the top division almost exclusively out there. To the point where if the WoO Late Models were at a track like River Cities Speedway in Grand Forks ND but on the same night there was a special event for IMCA Modifieds in Bismarck at Dacotah Speedway I had friends who lived close to Grand Forks who would drive the 300 miles to go see the Modifieds instead because they prefer them to Late Models or Sprints. I think in IA it is even crazier than that with the USMTS and all that. If you are bored this winter watch the show Dirt Knights (all episodes can be found on Youtube, it used to air on the Versus channel which is now NBC Sports I believe).

Thanks,
Jeff.

MI Dirt Fan
08-26-2016, 02:10 PM
Yea your right, this is Bloomquist, let's reflect back to how he done in that truck race, and the chilli bowl. Thats the last 2 times he's stepped out and raced another car on dirt and he got his a$$ kicked. He's not going up there and racing a bunch of other late model guys that decided to drive a mod like he did 04, these ol boys race for a living. Don't believe me, go find the results to that race.

I respect Scott and his knowledge, I just don't see him or anyone else that don't drive mods for living going up there and taking that money from them.
The truck race is a lame example. Those are all asphalt designed and built.

Tireguy17
08-26-2016, 03:13 PM
To base Scott's possible performance based on the Chili Bowl and Truck race is ridiculous, as is how he did at the Alltel 100. Today's modified suspension has a lot of the same technology the current late model does. While I don't know if he will win it, there is no way you can count him out. And with how much Scott likes to test, I have no doubt he will log laps in the car before race weekend. #noweaklinks

chopter
08-26-2016, 03:22 PM
Was the all tel race the big controversy about Scott drawing #1 behind closed doors?

nuff said
08-26-2016, 04:27 PM
So............If the truck race at Eldora is a lame example because or the equipment,this would mean that Pierce is clearly a better driver than Bloomquist because he was hauling a$$ in the same equipment the last 2 years.Only based on that logic of course.

Ryan21mid
08-26-2016, 04:47 PM
There are more modified drivers out there than you think that are racing for a living. To my best knowledge, some of those guys are Ryan Gustin, Rodney Sanders, Ricky Thornton JR, Kyle Strickler, Ray Bollinger, Cade Dillard, Johnny and Stormy Scott. To my best knowledge, these guys pay their bills from racing. They don't have a 9-5, now whether its off of race winnings, or a salary from a car owner, I'm sure all of their situations are different.

MI Dirt Fan
08-26-2016, 05:47 PM
So............If the truck race at Eldora is a lame example because or the equipment,this would mean that Pierce is clearly a better driver than Bloomquist because he was hauling a$$ in the same equipment the last 2 years.Only based on that logic of course.

Sure. If you say so..........

Highside Hustler25
08-26-2016, 05:49 PM

I have to agree Zack. The modified class has evolved into a monster since the days of being a support or beginners class. Won't be near as easy this time.

As far as the Lethal Chassis, I've seen Stremme around these parts competing over the last couple years and have never seen him win. He always seems to be chasing Harrison, Leka, Bollinger, or Wallace.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
08-26-2016, 05:54 PM
Longhorn used to make a mod chassis. Dk if they still do.

a25rjr
08-26-2016, 05:59 PM
Longhorn used to make a mod chassis. Dk if they still do.

A little birdie told me, Longhorn builds the rear clips for Stealth.

btw.....your boy has a great chance to win a globe now that Bloomer, Bshep, and Owens wont be there!

Someone told me they seen you pouring out a liquid at those three pits, during the wee hours of the morning, at the Dream! Hmmmmmmm........:)

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
08-26-2016, 06:02 PM
A little birdie told me, Longhorn builds the rear clips for Stealth.

btw.....your boy has a great chance to win a globe now that Bloomer, Bshep, and Owens wont be there!

Someone told me they seen you pouring out a liquid at those three pits, during the wee hours of the morning, at the Dream! Hmmmmmmm........:)

Cut all the bs.

Does longhorn build part of any mods that you know of?

a25rjr
08-26-2016, 06:07 PM
Cut all the bs.

Does longhorn build part of any mods that you know of?

Seriously, I was told they build the rear clip for Stealth! A good friend of mine bought one a few months ago.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
08-26-2016, 06:21 PM
Seriously, I was told they build the rear clip for Stealth! A good friend of mine bought one a few months ago.

Yea and i think there sent to stremme to put the frt clip on them. I just dnt know what chassis name was.

nuff said
08-26-2016, 07:55 PM
Sure. If you say so..........

i'm just playing along.

Bforwarned
08-26-2016, 08:09 PM
Cade Dillard has been super fast in his MB Customs. I can see him winning this big race.

tb1545
08-26-2016, 09:24 PM
July 22nd longhorns official facebook page posted big news coming soon with an outline of a modified in the background. Then july 26 someone posted a picture of a #44 modified in the pits at a racetrack with huge longhorn chassis stickers on the doors and hood.

J20in1st
08-26-2016, 09:27 PM
Probably an MB customs. Let's just hope he doesn't remove the J bar.
So when are Sheppard, Thornton Jr and Satterlee signing up?

R TJR will be in Boone

D. Tidrow
08-27-2016, 05:08 AM
My intention is not to hi-jack this thread and I apologize up front.However, I have a question. The statement was made that the modified drivers race for a living. I'm just curious as to how many modified drivers derive their living solely from their winnings driving a modified? I'm not talking about guys that work part time or build cars, etc., but guys that do nothing but drive a modified to feed, clothe and house themselves and their families.Thanks.Not to call you out on anything negative, but I noticed in one of your earlier posts. You labeled modifieds as mortifieds. Maybe a type o but if not why you would feel that way. Like I said if it was a type o, my apologies. If not why would you say that?

CIRF
08-27-2016, 09:58 AM
They are the support class in SLM and Sprint country (like PA where I live, or in the IN/IL region where I assume you are from). When I was in college in ND I went to a lot of races around there and in MN, IA, SD, MT, etc. and Modifieds are the top division almost exclusively out there. To the point where if the WoO Late Models were at a track like River Cities Speedway in Grand Forks ND but on the same night there was a special event for IMCA Modifieds in Bismarck at Dacotah Speedway I had friends who lived close to Grand Forks who would drive the 300 miles to go see the Modifieds instead because they prefer them to Late Models or Sprints. I think in IA it is even crazier than that with the USMTS and all that. If you are bored this winter watch the show Dirt Knights (all episodes can be found on Youtube, it used to air on the Versus channel which is now NBC Sports I believe).

Thanks,
Jeff.

Interesting that they are are a headliner in some parts of the country and not in others. What kind of purses do they race for at events where they are the headliner?

I had to be in Southwest Minnesota over Independence Day on business several years back. I got to checking around and found out from some folks who weren't particularly race fans that there was a racing event at the Steele County Fairgrounds in Owatonna. I took it for granted that this event was to be headlined by dirt late models. I decided to attend and somewhat to my surprise the headline division was IMCA mods. I wasn't disappointed by that being the case, just kind of surprised. It was a stand alone event, too. No support classes.

I've also attended several events in Southern California (3 Oval Nationals, 1 Turkey Night Grand Prix and a regular show at Ventura) and Ventura is the only place that had mods and they were one of the support classes. They seemed to be a bit of a different animal than the mods we're used to seeing here in the Midwest.

Is the reason they are the top division in the upper Midwest because there are not enough willing owners of dirt late models and sprint cars to make it feasible for tracks to host them on a regular basis? Gotta' be some reason and you seem to have a handle on the racing scene up there.

stevo
08-27-2016, 03:43 PM
And these guys will run for little cash!

stewart fan
08-27-2016, 03:58 PM
Tait Davenport has a Longhorn modified.

klemmabyna
08-27-2016, 07:24 PM
he (dillard) looked great at my hometown track last week.

those unfamiliar with modifieds need to explore the usmts website, results, and history. it is a great tour with an entertaining format and a barnstorming schedule that has race teams bouncing from track to track in bunches. locals are welcome and competitive. ringers frequently humbled.

as someone previously mentioned, check out Dirt Knights on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQdRPz-nASE&list=PLEGPLHrxG19w0l5e64SgpHr-TZcvMPCLE

Points Standings as of August 26, 2016

Rank No. Driver Points Starts Wins Top 5's Top 10's Earnings
1 12 Jason Hughes 1486 10 2 9 10 $14,450
2 97 Cade Dillard 1470 10 4 8 8 $17,900
3 20 Rodney Sanders 1409 10 1 6 10 $11,900
4 99 Jesse Sobbing 1404 10 6 9 $9,600
5 33z Zack VanderBeek 1384 10 1 6 9 $11,850
6 1st Johnny Scott 1285 10 4 7 $7,550
7 91 Joe Duvall 1225 10 2 $4,925
8 4r Dereck Ramirez 1181 10 3 $4,700
9 2s Stormy Scott 1157 10 2 4 $5,525
10 6 Brock Bauman 1141 10 $3,815
11 4 Cody Bauman 1125 10 1 $4,250
12 37 Mike Jergens 1124 10 3 $3,915
13 22d Daniel Hilsabeck 1121 10 2 $3,730
14 81 Mike Densberger 1117 10 2 $3,640
15 00 Masen Big Eagle 1055 10 1 $2,560
16 99 Jett Big Eagle 1031 10 $1,875
17 12d Scott Drake 999 7 4 $3,640
18 21t Lance Town 994 8 2 $3,050
19 19r Ryan Gustin 907 5 1 3 3 $6,290
20 02 Tanner Mullens 752 4 1 $1,390
21 21 Jacob Bleess 711 5 3 $2,215
22 4w Tyler Wolff 661 3 $480
23 69 Lucas Schott 562 2 $300
24 49jr Jake Timm 561 2 $300
25 71 Philip Houston 522 0 $0
26 9 Kevin Rutherford 510 1 $90
26 5 Todd Shute 510 0 $0
26 8 Steve Miller 510 0 $0
29 10 Austin Arneson 508 0 $0
30 01 Joey Galloway 507 0 $0
30 4m Bobby Malchus 507 0 $0
32 60 Dan Ebert 506 1 $775
23 Adam Kates 468 9 $1,345
20rt Ricky Thornton Jr. 375 5 2 2 $3,480
75 Terry Phillips 360 3 1 3 4 $5,900
186 Jeremy Payne 216 2 1 2 $2,440

Nasty55
08-27-2016, 07:29 PM
he (dillard) looked great at my hometown track last week.

those unfamiliar with modifieds need to explore the usmts website, results, and history. it is a great tour with an entertaining format and a barnstorming schedule that has race teams bouncing from track to track in bunches. locals are welcome and competitive. ringers frequently humbled.

as someone previously mentioned, check out Dirt Knights on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQdRPz-nASE&list=PLEGPLHrxG19w0l5e64SgpHr-TZcvMPCLE

Points Standings as of August 26, 2016

Rank No. Driver Points Starts Wins Top 5's Top 10's Earnings
1 12 Jason Hughes 1486 10 2 9 10 $14,450
2 97 Cade Dillard 1470 10 4 8 8 $17,900
3 20 Rodney Sanders 1409 10 1 6 10 $11,900
4 99 Jesse Sobbing 1404 10 6 9 $9,600
5 33z Zack VanderBeek 1384 10 1 6 9 $11,850
6 1st Johnny Scott 1285 10 4 7 $7,550
7 91 Joe Duvall 1225 10 2 $4,925
8 4r Dereck Ramirez 1181 10 3 $4,700
9 2s Stormy Scott 1157 10 2 4 $5,525
10 6 Brock Bauman 1141 10 $3,815
11 4 Cody Bauman 1125 10 1 $4,250
12 37 Mike Jergens 1124 10 3 $3,915
13 22d Daniel Hilsabeck 1121 10 2 $3,730
14 81 Mike Densberger 1117 10 2 $3,640
15 00 Masen Big Eagle 1055 10 1 $2,560
16 99 Jett Big Eagle 1031 10 $1,875
17 12d Scott Drake 999 7 4 $3,640
18 21t Lance Town 994 8 2 $3,050
19 19r Ryan Gustin 907 5 1 3 3 $6,290
20 02 Tanner Mullens 752 4 1 $1,390
21 21 Jacob Bleess 711 5 3 $2,215
22 4w Tyler Wolff 661 3 $480
23 69 Lucas Schott 562 2 $300
24 49jr Jake Timm 561 2 $300
25 71 Philip Houston 522 0 $0
26 9 Kevin Rutherford 510 1 $90
26 5 Todd Shute 510 0 $0
26 8 Steve Miller 510 0 $0
29 10 Austin Arneson 508 0 $0
30 01 Joey Galloway 507 0 $0
30 4m Bobby Malchus 507 0 $0
32 60 Dan Ebert 506 1 $775
23 Adam Kates 468 9 $1,345
20rt Ricky Thornton Jr. 375 5 2 2 $3,480
75 Terry Phillips 360 3 1 3 4 $5,900
186 Jeremy Payne 216 2 1 2 $2,440

Toughest modified series on the planet! klemmabyna they set the bar high for their drivers and Todd and Janet Staley are very helpful to their drivers as well from what ive seen..

TUTY
08-27-2016, 10:33 PM
There is a pile of money backing a lot of the USMTS cars. ProPower Motors were here before Late Models. You will also be supprized how close they look to Late Models. They kind of race down the middle of the US. MN, WISC, SD, IA, MISSOURI, KANSAS, TX, LOUISIANA. The best of the best will be there. There general pay to win is $3000 but ocasionally $5000 to $10,000 or more.

Barbecueboy
08-28-2016, 09:46 AM

Logic only works with folks that understand it.........just sayin.

old fan
08-28-2016, 11:27 AM
10 6 Brock Bauman 1141 10 $3,815 11 4 Cody Bauman 1125 10 1 $4,250 THOSE 2 COULDN'T GET OUT OF THEIR OWN WAY UNDER UMP RULES JUST SAYING

CIRF
08-28-2016, 12:40 PM
There is a pile of money backing a lot of the USMTS cars. ProPower Motors were here before Late Models. You will also be supprized how close they look to Late Models. They kind of race down the middle of the US. MN, WISC, SD, IA, MISSOURI, KANSAS, TX, LOUISIANA. The best of the best will be there. There general pay to win is $3000 but ocasionally $5000 to $10,000 or more.Thanks TUTY.

As I said before, I was intrigued at the prospect of some of the mod drivers living solely on their race earnings. That statement has since been clarified.

I'll go away and stop hi-jacking this thread now.

x5lives
08-28-2016, 12:50 PM
10 6 Brock Bauman 1141 10 $3,815 11 4 Cody Bauman 1125 10 1 $4,250 THOSE 2 COULDN'T GET OUT OF THEIR OWN WAY UNDER UMP RULES JUST SAYING
Nothing's changed, but they're learning from the best, and doing it for more.

old fan
08-28-2016, 01:20 PM
Really better than 4 time ump champion mike harrison or present leader mike long

W2Racing09
08-28-2016, 01:20 PM
Interesting that they are are a headliner in some parts of the country and not in others. What kind of purses do they race for at events where they are the headliner?

I had to be in Southwest Minnesota over Independence Day on business several years back. I got to checking around and found out from some folks who weren't particularly race fans that there was a racing event at the Steele County Fairgrounds in Owatonna. I took it for granted that this event was to be headlined by dirt late models. I decided to attend and somewhat to my surprise the headline division was IMCA mods. I wasn't disappointed by that being the case, just kind of surprised. It was a stand alone event, too. No support classes.

I've also attended several events in Southern California (3 Oval Nationals, 1 Turkey Night Grand Prix and a regular show at Ventura) and Ventura is the only place that had mods and they were one of the support classes. They seemed to be a bit of a different animal than the mods we're used to seeing here in the Midwest.

Is the reason they are the top division in the upper Midwest because there are not enough willing owners of dirt late models and sprint cars to make it feasible for tracks to host them on a regular basis? Gotta' be some reason and you seem to have a handle on the racing scene up there.

I think the purse money is pretty much the same as it would be in IL, OH, or wherever else for the Mods (that being anything from $400-$500 to win up to $700-$800 at some tracks, usually always around $100 to start for A Mods/IMCA Mods too). From my college in ND I had easy access to about 15 tracks.

River Cities Speedway - 410 Sprints/Late Models top division (B-Mods also race here)
Devils Lake Speedway - B-Mods top division
Geographical Center Speedway - B-Mods top division
Thunder Mountain Speedway - B-Mods top division
Jamestown Speedway - Was A-Mods now IMCA Mods top division
Red River Co-Op Speedway - A-Mods
Nodak Speedway - IMCA Mods
Dacotah Speedway - IMCA Mods
Southwest Speedway - IMCA Mods
Norman County Speedway - IMCA Mods
Buffalo River Raceway - IMCA Mods
Williston Basin Speedway - IMCA Mods
Mclean County Speedway - B-Mods
Sheyenne River Speedway - B-Mods
Viking Speedway - Late Models

I think as far as racing goes they might not be as fast as sprints or late models but people get used to watching the mod racing and then can be disappointed when they see sprints or late models and it ends up being single file or what not. I think the small tires on the mods makes them somewhat racy on any track surface. They are certainly slower but it wasn't uncommon to see them run 3-4 wide weekly where as it is only the best weeks here in Central PA when I get to see a race on a track with SLMs going 3 wide regularly. I think it can be beneficial, as in Central PA where I live the best drivers tend to continue moving up (to SLM, 410s, etc) but back in ND there is nothing for them to move up to in most areas so you have very skilled drivers (who would be running SLM or 410 if they lived elsewhere) running Mods, and so the driver quality is still great. Plus it always looks good when you get 40-50 cars weekly in your top division and some of those Western ND tracks regularly got that.

I think in the IL/OH/IN area it is UMP Mods.
In OH/WV it is AMRA Mods
In WI/MO/KS/MN/Parts of IA it is USRA Mods
In WI/MN/ND/SD/MT/Canada it is Wissota Mods
In IA and pretty much everything West of there it is all IMCA including up in California and all the West coast states. IMCA is starting to expand Eastward too with a bunch of tracks in ND and MN going that direction recently.

I don't expect Late Models or Sprints to take off there any more than I expect Mods to take over here in Sprint country. I think people get used to what they have and are not open to change. There are probably some owners out there with the money to finance big time SLM or 410 operations if they were around there but I think most are just content with the Mods. The LM and 410s are a touring division out that way for the most part and it seems to work out alright.

Thanks,
Jeff.

old fan
08-28-2016, 01:21 PM
Mike long won 2500 this weekend alone and no more than 3 hours from home

CIRF
08-28-2016, 02:05 PM
I think the purse money is pretty much the same as it would be in IL, OH, or wherever else for the Mods (that being anything from $400-$500 to win up to $700-$800 at some tracks, usually always around $100 to start for A Mods/IMCA Mods too). From my college in ND I had easy access to about 15 tracks.

River Cities Speedway - 410 Sprints/Late Models top division (B-Mods also race here)
Devils Lake Speedway - B-Mods top division
Geographical Center Speedway - B-Mods top division
Thunder Mountain Speedway - B-Mods top division
Jamestown Speedway - Was A-Mods now IMCA Mods top division
Red River Co-Op Speedway - A-Mods
Nodak Speedway - IMCA Mods
Dacotah Speedway - IMCA Mods
Southwest Speedway - IMCA Mods
Norman County Speedway - IMCA Mods
Buffalo River Raceway - IMCA Mods
Williston Basin Speedway - IMCA Mods
Mclean County Speedway - B-Mods
Sheyenne River Speedway - B-Mods
Viking Speedway - Late Models

I think as far as racing goes they might not be as fast as sprints or late models but people get used to watching the mod racing and then can be disappointed when they see sprints or late models and it ends up being single file or what not. I think the small tires on the mods makes them somewhat racy on any track surface. They are certainly slower but it wasn't uncommon to see them run 3-4 wide weekly where as it is only the best weeks here in Central PA when I get to see a race on a track with SLMs going 3 wide regularly. I think it can be beneficial, as in Central PA where I live the best drivers tend to continue moving up (to SLM, 410s, etc) but back in ND there is nothing for them to move up to in most areas so you have very skilled drivers (who would be running SLM or 410 if they lived elsewhere) running Mods, and so the driver quality is still great. Plus it always looks good when you get 40-50 cars weekly in your top division and some of those Western ND tracks regularly got that.

I think in the IL/OH/IN area it is UMP Mods.
In OH/WV it is AMRA Mods
In WI/MO/KS/MN/Parts of IA it is USRA Mods
In WI/MN/ND/SD/MT/Canada it is Wissota Mods
In IA and pretty much everything West of there it is all IMCA including up in California and all the West coast states. IMCA is starting to expand Eastward too with a bunch of tracks in ND and MN going that direction recently.

I don't expect Late Models or Sprints to take off there any more than I expect Mods to take over here in Sprint country. I think people get used to what they have and are not open to change. There are probably some owners out there with the money to finance big time SLM or 410 operations if they were around there but I think most are just content with the Mods. The LM and 410s are a touring division out that way for the most part and it seems to work out alright.

Thanks,
Jeff.Jeff, I appreciate all the info and clarification. You mentioned how IMCA is the predominant mod sanction West of the Mississippi River. When Ventura Raceway broadcast their races on internet PPV we watched nearly every Saturday night for a couple of seasons and periodically the IMCA mods were the support class to the wingless sprint cars. The mods that we saw occasionally at Ventura seemed to be a whole different animal from what we see in Illinois and Indiana.

Your example of the mod's putting on great shows in spite of not being nearly as fast as some other types of racecars is a good one. I'm a firm believer in the theory that the fastest cars don't necessarily put on the best show. A very good example of that is the NASCAR trucks at Eldora. I've been to several Kings Royal's and Historical Big One's at Big E along with around 22 or 23 World Hundreds and there have been as many not so good races as good ones among all those. Everyone knows the sprint cars and dirt late models are far faster than the trucks but the trucks seem to consistently put on a great show at Eldora.

old fan
08-28-2016, 02:07 PM
Tait Davenport has a Longhorn modified. betcha he would rather have a longshot what do think

x5lives
08-29-2016, 05:54 PM
Mods took over in the midwest because racers where no longer willing spend a ridiculous amount of money on a hobby. Most teams are self funded here, IMCA and Wissota have done what they can to keep costs down. Promoters here can also be held responsible as they do not wish to pay out a majority of their purse to the smallest field of cars. Unfortunately the mod thing here has gotten out of hand, too, and entries in the mod fields are quickly dwindling,too.

old fan
08-29-2016, 06:05 PM
So you have a 40 k to win mod and 20k to win b mod

x5lives
08-29-2016, 08:41 PM
So you have a 40 k to win mod and 20k to win b mod
So what's your point, it has no effect on weekly racing. Several years ago a promoter tried to run a series of 5 n 10K late model show. The series was killed by weather, car counts, and attendances. Promoting is a risk. They are having a 40 K mod show, they have a 100 entries, there should be 200, but mod rules are more screwed up than late models.

old fan
08-29-2016, 09:40 PM
it sure does it take away racers that normally would be racing at their home track weekend seems funny late on in the year united money pit will have a 3 day show for mods 3 k 4k and 5 k and get 80 mods the big problem with mod is the rules are not even close from one sanction to another crates work great with some sanctions others not even close

x5lives
08-30-2016, 08:31 AM
, !,?,.. Use them, it's the old can you help Uncle Jack off the horse thought . I have no idea what you're talking about most of the time.

old fan
08-30-2016, 08:38 AM
mod drivers and teams have no business traveling out of their region but I DO LIKE 80 MODS FOR 3 K TO WIN AND 50 LATE FOR 2K TO WIN UMP STYLE

ALLDIRT
08-30-2016, 10:30 AM

He hasen't been gettin his a$$ kicked as of late. and by the way wheres all those
Davenport lovers . If bloomer cant race there for the world , maybe their superhero
can have a chance. And if he races the mod , well their game just steped up, if he goes
we will see.

MotoMatt
08-30-2016, 02:58 PM
Mods took over in the midwest because racers where no longer willing spend a ridiculous amount of money on a hobby. Most teams are self funded here, IMCA and Wissota have done what they can to keep costs down. Promoters here can also be held responsible as they do not wish to pay out a majority of their purse to the smallest field of cars. Unfortunately the mod thing here has gotten out of hand, too, and entries in the mod fields are quickly dwindling,too.

Exactly, when IMCA went to the spec late model engine in 1996(I think) everyone had to run out and spend $10k in the middle of winter when they hadn't planned on it. We already had our brand new 383 in the car...not cool. Now, a lot of IMCA guys are spending $20k plus for a spec motor and of course some are way beyond that. The mods are pretty bad now too, but nothing like the Late Models. Here in Central Iowa, it's hard to find a full field of lates at any track on any night. Most of the time they might have 12 at best.

powerslide
08-30-2016, 11:19 PM
I think he will take home the check if he runs it. Mods are a trickle down tech group from late models, not so with the trucks or the midget chili bowl example. In those examples he was going up a level not down a level. Not taking anything away from the mod drivers(i own one). Bloomer is at the top of that food chain and he will have better shocks hands down and no telling what else he has going on, on that thing. Might even have him some of those special tires. He said it in an interview last year when davenport was on his roll that if his wife had a faster gokart she would probably beat him.

powerslide
08-30-2016, 11:21 PM
mod drivers and teams have no business traveling out of their region but I DO LIKE 80 MODS FOR 3 K TO WIN AND 50 LATE FOR 2K TO WIN UMP STYLE

You pay the bills? Then you have no idea what they have business doing. But we all know you have no business walking down the sidewalk.

x5lives
08-31-2016, 01:05 PM
Could not have picked a better year to start a big mod show, 40 K to win, Bloomquist and Owens suspended, let's go run a mod show in Wisconsin. If you haven't been to MTS, you're in for a great show! It's a great way to get a big mod show rolling.

Bigracer93
08-31-2016, 02:50 PM
The reason the car count for this race is like it is for this race is because the track cut off entries at a certain number

klemmabyna
08-31-2016, 06:10 PM

that may be true, but....

https://www.facebook.com/bashbros46/videos/1056798751064146/

isn't racing about having fun?

old fan
08-31-2016, 06:19 PM
and your point kinda hard to have fun when have to travel for every show ,my big question who in the hell will pay that purse

x5lives
08-31-2016, 07:21 PM
Maybe you can ask the Bash Bros why they chose USMTS. Believe it has to do with the high cost of UMP mods, poor teching, and the opportunity to race for more money on the USMTS circuit. It may be hard for someone in UMP country to understand, but they have never been at the forefront of modified racing. Yeah, those might be strong words.....

HoosierDirtFan
08-31-2016, 07:35 PM
Just a thought.
If Scott and or Jimmy make the a-main what are the chances they have a top 5 / top 10 finish?
Be willing to bet they test the cars before they get to the track.

old fan
08-31-2016, 07:47 PM
Maybe you can ask the Bash Bros why they chose USMTS. Believe it has to do with the high cost of UMP mods, poor teching, and the opportunity to race for more money on the USMTS circuit. It may be hard for someone in UMP country to understand, but they have never been at the forefront of modified racing. Yeah, those might be strong words..... where is the money and by the way in UMP country they are a support class yeah I know that's hard to believe and every track I GO they do tech maybe that's why they left or is it they just couldn't keep up with legal UMP cars

klemmabyna
08-31-2016, 08:33 PM
Just a thought.
If Scott and or Jimmy make the a-main what are the chances they have a top 5 / top 10 finish?
Be willing to bet they test the cars before they get to the track.

if I remember correctly, jimmy owens was a great modified driver before going late model.

old fan
08-31-2016, 08:35 PM
But the mods have grown up since then just saying

HoosierDirtFan
08-31-2016, 08:38 PM
But the mods have grown up since then just saying

Mods may have grown up since then but you still haven't!

chopter
09-01-2016, 07:24 AM
I'm excited to see Bloomer and Owen's in mods. I'm hoping someone streams the show.

Ryan21mid
09-01-2016, 10:46 AM
I'm excited to see Bloomer and Owen's in mods. I'm hoping someone streams the show.Racindirt.com will have all 3 days live

blncfn57
09-01-2016, 12:27 PM
that may be true, but....

https://www.facebook.com/bashbros46/videos/1056798751064146/

isn't racing about having fun?

Them boys do know how to have fun, but I just seen all their stuff was for sale cuz the racing account was dry..... sad news

waaac77
09-01-2016, 12:34 PM
DoD should bring a crew there as well as the world and have a double feature live on ppv

MKD12a
09-01-2016, 02:39 PM
Any rumors as to what chassis they will be running? I assume Jimmy will be in an LG2

x5lives
09-01-2016, 04:43 PM
Ramirez' run LG2, rumor was that Bloomquist would be in a Lethal

Nasty55
09-01-2016, 05:17 PM
Ramirez' run LG2,

You are correct Jimmy will be in a LG2 which is own by Ramirez Racing. It is Derricks Back up car.

chopter
09-02-2016, 03:02 AM
Racindirt.com will have all 3 days live

Thanks. Looks like I'll be watching this live and getting the replay of Boone for sunday.

Ryan21mid
09-02-2016, 12:43 PM
Scott will be driving a Hughes Chassis owned by Tommy Weder Jr. Per Racindirt, he was offered a ride from David Stremme & Lethal Chassis but his relationship with Weder prompted him to decline. Weder has a fleet of Sweet-Bloomquist Late Models.

chopter
09-03-2016, 02:25 AM
Scott will be driving a Hughes Chassis owned by Tommy Weder Jr. Per Racindirt, he was offered a ride from David Stremme & Lethal Chassis but his relationship with Weder prompted him to decline. Weder has a fleet of Sweet-Bloomquist Late Models.

Good choice. Thanks for the update

swartzman
09-03-2016, 12:13 PM
If that Hughes car that Scott will be in is near as fast as Jason's, then he will be a contender for sure..