PDA

View Full Version : tight in the center

riddle28
08-29-2016, 06:32 AM
ive got an 09 bwrc and this weekend we were tight all night when i got in the gas. When the track was fast i could put the rr in the moisture and it would kind of even out traction across the rear and wasnt as bad but when the track blew off I was way too tight picking the gas up. I raised my j bar on the frame and put some rebound in the rf and it helped but it was still pretty snug. Just wanting to see what you guys would go to at the track

Punisher88
08-29-2016, 08:16 AM
I wouldn't have raised the j bar on the frame. I would have raised it on the pinion. Also could move the fifth coil back. I had an 09 bwrc and had good luck with a 200 lr with about 100 lbs of bite and 400 rr. 450 left front and 350 right front. That was with a nlms sportsman motor on a high banked momentum track. Take rebound out of rr will help free up Center. Along with taking rebound our of the left front. I like to add alot of rebound to the left front when the track slicks off. I never ran below pinion on my j bar I typically ran Center and at ride height I had 8.5 of split. I don't recall how far it was up on the frame and I was extremely fast with this setup.

riddle28
08-29-2016, 08:56 AM
i went up on the j bar to help scotch the car and it helped some but i was still too tight but i usually run j bar a little flatter than most. did i read that right you ran a 400 rr? lol

Punisher88
08-29-2016, 10:41 AM
That's correct. Lol. At EAMS it's so flat out and wide open it actually seemed to help turn the car. It will tighten it up a ton getting in off the throttle though.

riddle28
08-29-2016, 11:44 AM
yea i ran there with a mod a few years ago so i could see it working there

riddle28
08-29-2016, 11:44 AM
thanks for the advice tho

CCHIEF
08-29-2016, 02:00 PM
How long are you out of the gas at this track? What is your car like when you are? I'm thinking you need to loosen car, off the gas. Or get to where you don't have to lift..much.

billetbirdcage
08-29-2016, 02:23 PM
Is this a common issue with you and other cars you've had in the past or just this car or just this track? Reason I ask is Honestly 75% of the time it's a driver induced issue. Many times a simple slight adjustment in driving or how they are running a line can fix this. Not bagging on ya at all, it's just real common with some driving styles and can be fixed usually real easy with a adjustment by the driver.

CCHIEF
08-29-2016, 07:10 PM
Or adjusting the idle up to 3-4k RPM for forced learning!

riddle28
08-30-2016, 06:23 AM
its not super slick where youre having to back the corner way up, i looked at last years notes and i may stiffen the rf to help roll in a little better. and I always prefer a free car, and im pretty good about trail braking and keeping the rpm's up, it wasnt as bad when i could enter a little higher and diamond off but if i had to enter low it would shove the front end when i picked the gas up

Matt49
08-30-2016, 05:45 PM
If my car is tight when I initially get in the gas, the first thing I do is raise the bottom left bar on the frame. This will slow down birdcage indexing into the LR spring and get more rear steer in the car. This is a very effective adjustment that might help you. You might also just try putting more rebound in your RF if the problem isn't too severe. Then let the rebound out as the track gets slicker.

collateralDamage
08-30-2016, 06:22 PM
i like left bottom rod up a hole... or raise both right side bars on frame and see if you lose any drive. too soft on lf spring can also cause what you're describing, especially if it is chained and/or a high rebound shock....

riddle28
08-31-2016, 06:32 AM
thanks guys, this definitely gives me some things to think about!

FlatTire
08-31-2016, 11:21 AM
That RR needs to become more effective. When there is moisture in the track it is more dominant and can steer the car. When it slicks off, it has less control over which way the car goes. So you need to slow down the LR reaction or speed up the RR. Im guessing the RR tire temp is lower than LR? Usually the RR isn't getting pinned down before the LR gets up which is why the car won't turn.

keeks
08-31-2016, 08:09 PM
So how does one slow down LR or speed up RR? Shock timing?

Dirt_Buster
08-31-2016, 10:02 PM
We had the same issue over the weekend. We went lighter on our RF and lighter on the LR spring. Had to really drive the car in hard to be fast but in traffic we would shove the nose. Prior we had too much j bar split and to heavy of a RF spring set up. We lowered j bar and lowered RF spring a good amount and raised LF spring rate and in the slick it felt like the car wanted to flip over. We found the tipping point with our j bar to where it was lifting the rr up off the spring. We also had rr chained snug at ride height. I loved the feeling with the new car but it sucked in traffic especially if a slow car cut across the nose.

CCHIEF
09-01-2016, 03:21 PM
If my car is tight when I initially get in the gas, the first thing I do is raise the bottom left bar on the frame. This will slow down birdcage indexing into the LR spring and get more rear steer in the car. This is a very effective adjustment that might help you. . I agree, a go to of mine is to lower the lr bar on the cage. I have to say the #1 complaint in DLM handling.....by far, is too tight thru the middle. I have found that when you get that gone completely, your not as fast. Something to think about when your complaining as a driver.

Stede Bonnet
09-05-2016, 06:19 PM
Is this a common issue with you and other cars you've had in the past or just this car or just this track? Reason I ask is Honestly 75% of the time it's a driver induced issue. Many times a simple slight adjustment in driving or how they are running a line can fix this. Not bagging on ya at all, it's just real common with some driving styles and can be fixed usually real easy with a adjustment by the driver.

Very wise advice.

riddle28
09-06-2016, 06:20 AM
i did a few of the things yall mentioned on here and some others i was on the fence about. night and day better

CCHIEF
09-06-2016, 03:37 PM
What did you do, and notice from those changes? It may help others that search and find this thread in the future.

riddle28
09-07-2016, 06:11 AM
i added about an inch of stagger in the rear, and raised my left lower before we left the shop sunday. it hugged the bottom probably the best the car ever has