PDA

View Full Version : Northern sport mod spring rate changes

Duckhnter83
09-01-2016, 10:53 AM
Typically when changing rear springs on northern sport mod what method do you use to keep the corner weights close to the same? Just looking to see what people's opinion/methods are

Mr.Kennedy777
09-01-2016, 12:55 PM
It's not 100% accurate unless you use scales at the shop, but what I do when changing springs is I measure the shock height when the car is on the ground before I change the spring, then I jack it up, change the spring, and set the car down, and reset the ride height on that corner. This should give you close to the same cross-weight numbers. Like I said I don't believe it's 100% accurate, especially when you're dealing with springs that are really soft and have a lot of pre load. However, if I go to a track and have a spring with a lot of pre load, I try to avoid changing that spring and go for one that has less pre load, which is usually the RR spring for my car. If I want to tighten exit handling a bit, I will usually change the RR spring to a softer spring, and raise the panhard or j bar on the rear end slightly. This way in the middle of the corner I can keep close to the same lateral load distribution as well as get the desired effect on exit.