PDA

View Full Version : The Chesley Dixon Fire at Swainsboro

TerryM
09-05-2016, 08:35 AM
Since this hasn't been discussed on here, I'll do it.

We were there Saturday night and witnessed it up close. I've been going to dirt track races for almost 50 years. This was the scariest thing I've ever seen.

It started when the leader, Chesley Dixon, caught a rut exiting Turn 4. The car barrel-rolled twice and then stood up on its nose. At that point the second place car of Blake Smth hit the bottom of Dixon's car, resulting in the leader's car erupting in flames. The car landed upside down and immediately was engulfed in fire. With Chesley Dixon trapped in the driver's seat.

Other drivers, crew members, fans, etc., rushed to the fire to attempt to extinguish it, but weren't able to. Blake Smith's car also burned in the fire, but they were able to get him out after a minute or so. But Dixon's car continued to burn, with flames reaching 15-20 feet high, as fuel still fed the fire. The entire place was chaos, with people running and yelling, fans in the stands screaming and crying. Track personnel were yelling into the grandstands for additional fire extinguisgers. My wife has been a nurse for 25 years and even she had trouble containing her emotions as Chesley remained trapped in the car for 15 or 20 minutes.

By now two things were shockingly obvious -- there was no fire truck at the track, and there were no trained professionals with the knowledge or equipment to do anything about the situation. After what seemed like forever, Chesley was pulled from the car and carried to an ambulance. The car burned another 10 minutes or so before it was finally extinguished.

Most importantly, by the grace of God, Chesley is alive. He is burned over much of his hands, arms, and lower body. He begins the first of many surgeries today. The only reason he's alive is, the driver's side of the car was uphill on the track, and the burning fuel was running down the embankment and away from him. Otherwise, he'd have burned alive.

Throughout the entire tragedy, one topic kept going through the crowd: Where is the fire personnel?? Where's the fire truck?? Where are the firemen? Even after 20 or 30 minutes, no fire personnel arrived. This track charged $20 a head and had a large crowd, and they won't spend $200 to have a fire truck and a couple trained firemen sitting at the track? That's absolutely inexcusable and it nearly cost a man his life. I'm assuming lawsuits are forthcoming, and they would be 100% justified.

Please pray for Chesley, his wife Bridget and their children.

calverton
09-05-2016, 08:44 AM
where was on the on board fire equipment

kidrock
09-05-2016, 08:49 AM
TerryM, I'm not sure what's going on today in racing but, it seems like safety is taking a back seat and I'm going to assume because, of cost but, are we going to see a guy or gal have to die before they realize safety has no cost it's a must. At least my home track they do have fireman on the infield in the corners and they are trained fireman. They do not have a fire truck on site. One thing about it if they would use them they are also trained as EMT's so that could be something they could possibly look into.

I agree I pray for the family for a speedy recovery!

calverton
09-05-2016, 08:51 AM
already had atleast one die this year from fire

NormP
09-05-2016, 09:16 AM
Can't say I'm surprised. Seems like anytime there's a bad crash at the track every inbred hick in the place goes running onto the track, which just adds to the confusion, with 30 different people doing 30 different things.

And the idea that you would have 25 cars filled with race fuel rolling around a track as fast as they can without a firetruck on scene is just ridiculous.

gumby_32d
09-05-2016, 09:16 AM
It's just like every other business. They all preach safety. But when it comes down to spending a little money on tools or equipment to keep you safe, the higher ups piss and moan. Driver safety is more than a suit, gloves and helmet. The track needs to do it's part also. Praying for a quick recovery

ClampedUp
09-05-2016, 09:40 AM
Why the HE!! do drivers continue to put themselves into this position going to tracks that obviously put their bottom line ahead of the drivers, teams, and fans lives and safety.
As I've said many times before if a track can't/won't put out the money for a trained FD or VFD that has the proper equipment and training to handle situations like this it really has to make one wonder if they even have insurance coverage.
Drivers, teams, fans, and families do yourselves a favor that could save you from injury and or even the possibility of death.....
If you don't see properly trained fire/rescue personnel, actual fire/rescue vehicles and equipment, and an ambulance just turn around and leave and find a track and owner that cares about your life and safety.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-05-2016, 09:41 AM
TerryM, I'm not sure what's going on today in racing but, it seems like safety is taking a back seat and I'm going to assume because, of cost but, are we going to see a guy or gal have to die before they realize safety has no cost it's a must. At least my home track they do have fireman on the infield in the corners and they are trained fireman. They do not have a fire truck on site. One thing about it if they would use them they are also trained as EMT's so that could be something they could possibly look into.

I agree I pray for the family for a speedy recovery!Charlie Floyd.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-05-2016, 09:47 AM
Since this hasn't been discussed on here, I'll do it.

We were there Saturday night and witnessed it up close. I've been going to dirt track races for almost 50 years. This was the scariest thing I've ever seen.

It started when the leader, Chesley Dixon, caught a rut exiting Turn 4. The car barrel-rolled twice and then stood up on its nose. At that point the second place car of Blake Smth hit the bottom of Dixon's car, resulting in the leader's car erupting in flames. The car landed upside down and immediately was engulfed in fire. With Chesley Dixon trapped in the driver's seat.

Other drivers, crew members, fans, etc., rushed to the fire to attempt to extinguish it, but weren't able to. Blake Smith's car also burned in the fire, but they were able to get him out after a minute or so. But Dixon's car continued to burn, with flames reaching 15-20 feet high, as fuel still fed the fire. The entire place was chaos, with people running and yelling, fans in the stands screaming and crying. Track personnel were yelling into the grandstands for additional fire extinguisgers. My wife has been a nurse for 25 years and even she had trouble containing her emotions as Chesley remained trapped in the car for 15 or 20 minutes.

By now two things were shockingly obvious -- there was no fire truck at the track, and there were no trained professionals with the knowledge or equipment to do anything about the situation. After what seemed like forever, Chesley was pulled from the car and carried to an ambulance. The car burned another 10 minutes or so before it was finally extinguished.

Most importantly, by the grace of God, Chesley is alive. He is burned over much of his hands, arms, and lower body. He begins the first of many surgeries today. The only reason he's alive is, the driver's side of the car was uphill on the track, and the burning fuel was running down the embankment and away from him. Otherwise, he'd have burned alive.

Throughout the entire tragedy, one topic kept going through the crowd: Where is the fire personnel?? Where's the fire truck?? Where are the firemen? Even after 20 or 30 minutes, no fire personnel arrived. This track charged $20 a head and had a large crowd, and they won't spend $200 to have a fire truck and a couple trained firemen sitting at the track? That's absolutely inexcusable and it nearly cost a man his life. I'm assuming lawsuits are forthcoming, and they would be 100% justified.

Please pray for Chesley, his wife Brittany, and their children.Since I know your posts are always spot on, what a fukin joke. You'd thought the Charlie Floyd deal would wake people up. But evidently not.

To not even have a fire truck is just unimaginable. These places shouldn't be allowed to hold a race without EMS and a fire truck. Period, end of story.

I hope he pulls through, he has a wife and a daughter. And yes, he has every right to sue. I'm hoping though, he didn't know they didn't have a fire truck.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-05-2016, 09:49 AM
where was on the on board fire equipmentVery few have it yet. I'm curious, where was the fire truck. That should be a given, no EMS, no fire truck, NO RACE. I've had to sit at tracks more than once till the medical personnel were back from taking a driver or fan to the hospital.

kidrock
09-05-2016, 09:58 AM
Charlie Floyd.

Sorry I was talking about each individual track.

I don't know of to many tracks in this area that has a fire truck onsite

TerryM
09-05-2016, 09:59 AM
The entire time I was thinking, this is the Charlie Floyd situation all over again. It was almost identical in every way. Except for the outcome. Chesley was extremely fortunate.

Finnfan
09-05-2016, 10:02 AM
Good honest, articulate post TerryM, it's easy to feel your pain and frustration by your heartfelt words. I can imagine that was a traumatic experience for all the fans that had to witness that, I hope I never do.

I'm only asking this because I don't know, and I know their would be limits to protection, but how are driver's firesuits rated and/or certified? Are they required to be worn or required to be 're-certified' every so often? I know many drivers opt for the two piece firesuit, so is the one piece more effective? Again, I'm only asking these things because I don't know...the couple of teams I've helped with (several years ago now) the driver's firesuit was always 5-10 years old and often looked wore out. They would spend big money on a good helmet and seat, but the suit was always worn just as long as it would (halfway) fit.

dirtfan2757
09-05-2016, 10:21 AM
This guy has the aftermath. Pretty bad. Scroll down a bit.

https://www.facebook.com/rjsracingupdates/

TDRacinŽ
09-05-2016, 10:25 AM
So anytime a driver gets hurt at a race track they have the right to sue? Guess how long racing will be happening in this country. While what happened is tragic, laying the blame on someone/something else after the fact doesn't make you the victim. Drivers know the dangers and each time they climb in a racecar it could be the last. I see people on one hand advocating that tracks provide every ounce of safety then turn around and ignore the driver not providing every ounce of safety on their part. When you enter a track as a racer, it is your job to judge whether or not the track is safe to race at. Failure to do this and knowingly racing in an environment where if something happens and there is nothing in place to prevent it is 100% the driver's fault! They don't make everyone who enters the pits sign a waiver for nothing. Was this accident the driver's fault? Of course not, but he knowingly entered the event under these conditions.

Like I said, a tragic incident but one that could have been prevented. Safety costs a lot of money and is the main reason it is neglected on both parts, drivers and tracks!

Cardirt0
09-05-2016, 10:31 AM
I see a big law Suit from this one.. If its a UMP track Rules say Must have Proper Fire EQ . on Site..Wolfgang sued for this and won.. And the racing world came down on his head.. I was on Wolfgang side .. There should have been a way at the track too put out the Fire and there was Not..This is not good for the Dirt world.. 1 time Gov. stays out of it 2nd time I see the Gov. stepping in and mandate what must be on site...

Cardirt0
09-05-2016, 10:44 AM
If the driver has a on board fire fight Eq. its only good for about 2 min if that .. Its so it gives time for the fire fighters to get there.. so it would have done little to help him after 2 min...100 to 200 bucks a night to have a fire truck there so this man will not be scared for life is not that much money..They will spend that in the first 5 min in the law suit...I know FarmerCity and fairbury have a fire truck there ever night...A little now or a lot later.. Plus maybe no no get hurt..

jog49
09-05-2016, 10:54 AM
Bottom line would be are you willing to pay a bit more in admission prices to have the local fire department present?
My local track use to have a small emergency fire truck at its track, for a fee, but I guess that fee got to be too much for the promoter because there is no longer a fire or rescue presence.

ClampedUp
09-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Bottom line would be are you willing to pay a bit more in admission prices to have the local fire department present?
My local track use to have a small emergency fire truck at its track, for a fee, but I guess that fee got to be too much for the promoter because there is no longer a fire or rescue presence.

Most all the tracks in my area (Western Pa.) allow the VFD's to sell 50/50 tickets and collect the proceeds for the VFD, do various other things to make money for the VFD's, give them free food and admission, and some if not all the tracks also give them a nice donation too.

Cardirt0
09-05-2016, 11:32 AM
Most all the tracks in my area (Western Pa.) allow the VFD's to sell 50/50 tickets and collect the proceeds for the VFD, do various other things to make money for the VFD's, give them free food and admission, and some if not all the tracks also give them a nice donation too.

Yep work with the fire dep.. they will work with you.. most of the time...I know some tracks let all the Fire fighters in free and then they rotate the ones that work the fire truck..

TerryM
09-05-2016, 11:38 AM
Good honest, articulate post TerryM, it's easy to feel your pain and frustration by your heartfelt words. I can imagine that was a traumatic experience for all the fans that had to witness that, I hope I never do.

I'm only asking this because I don't know, and I know their would be limits to protection, but how are driver's firesuits rated and/or certified? Are they required to be worn or required to be 're-certified' every so often? I know many drivers opt for the two piece firesuit, so is the one piece more effective? Again, I'm only asking these things because I don't know...the couple of teams I've helped with (several years ago now) the driver's firesuit was always 5-10 years old and often looked wore out. They would spend big money on a good helmet and seat, but the suit was always worn just as long as it would (halfway) fit.
I can only pass on what the announcer said after Chesley was put in the ambulance. He said he was wearing a one piece firesuit and advised all drivers in all classes to do the same. I don't know anything about ratings or certifications.

Cardirt0
09-05-2016, 11:50 AM
I can only pass on what the announcer said after Chesley was put in the ambulance. He said he was wearing a one piece firesuit and advised all drivers in all classes to do the same. I don't know anything about ratings or certifications.

TerryM a man of reason...You have not had a bad day till you hear a man scream in a fire..Stand there and there is not a thing you can do to help..You feel so helpless. I have seen people toss there lunch as they watch..I watched a Man burn up Once,,, it was years, be for It stopped popping in to my head out of no were......First read this it popped back in too my head it still creeps me out..

zeroracing
09-05-2016, 12:53 PM
To answer calverton, I don't know if he had an on board. I run an on Bord but honestly don't know how it would fair against a major fire. You can only hold so much on board.

calverton
09-05-2016, 12:57 PM
but it would help and give him some time correct

zeroracing
09-05-2016, 01:00 PM
Finnfann, Lucas oil is he only series I have ever had check my helmet and suit. They have no date on the suits, every other local track or series never checked them. One does make you wave on parade lap to show you have gloves, seen them boot a guy for not (they even tried to give him a pair and he refused). The cheap suits do not stay fire resistant for long, the old school proban stuff. Two piece suits have the obvious flaw in them. I am one of the only guys I know that wears the underwear, socks, under shirt and pants then a multiple layer fire suit. Also baklava and hood from helmet to shoulders. Most guys don't wear any of it.

The local track (Lucas oil speedway) is being proactive and has some stuff you can spray on your suit and make it flame resistant again/add more protection. I don't remember the name. Also they have the alcohol cars run stickers and have a seperate fire deal for them. Unfortunately most tracks don't take it seriously though.

Final comment, on the one piece suits, I wish they made suspenders inside them, mine always try to slide down when I unzip it and tie it around my waste, would make the one price suit easier to wear.

44-19-21-39
09-05-2016, 01:06 PM
I have been watching Chesley Dixon race for several years and have cheered for him most of them, he's pretty wide open. I am definitely cheering for him and the family now. Our family is praying for all involved at this time.
With that being said, I am glad we left after the second caution in the crate race. Those cars should have never been on that 4 x 4 track. I couldn't stand to watch them tear up 50K cars for 2k to win. I am ok with the track doing the best they could with the amount of rain they had to put the race on as scheduled but they should of stopped before the first feature. I told my family when we were pulling out that someone was going to get hurt if they kept racing on that mess. I hate that it actually happened.

Cardirt0
09-05-2016, 01:15 PM
Finnfann, Lucas oil is he only series I have ever had check my helmet and suit. They have no date on the suits, every other local track or series never checked them. One does make you wave on parade lap to show you have gloves, seen them boot a guy for not (they even tried to give him a pair and he refused). The cheap suits do not stay fire resistant for long, the old school proban stuff. Two piece suits have the obvious flaw in them. I am one of the only guys I know that wears the underwear, socks, under shirt and pants then a multiple layer fire suit. Also baklava and hood from helmet to shoulders. Most guys don't wear any of it.

The local track (Lucas oil speedway) is being proactive and has some stuff you can spray on your suit and make it flame resistant again/add more protection. I don't remember the name. Also they have the alcohol cars run stickers and have a seperate fire deal for them. Unfortunately most tracks don't take it seriously though.

Final comment, on the one piece suits, I wish they made suspenders inside them, mine always try to slide down when I unzip it and tie it around my waste, would make the one price suit easier to wear.

Smart by you the underwear gives you 2 to 3 more mins to get out of the car...that could mean scars or no scares...Plus you need too learn not to pull the Fire Ex. too fast wate till it gets too hot then pull it for more time too get out of car....

TerryM
09-05-2016, 03:06 PM
I have been watching Chesley Dixon race for several years and have cheered for him most of them, he's pretty wide open. I am definitely cheering for him and the family now. Our family is praying for all involved at this time.
With that being said, I am glad we left after the second caution in the crate race. Those cars should have never been on that 4 x 4 track. I couldn't stand to watch them tear up 50K cars for 2k to win. I am ok with the track doing the best they could with the amount of rain they had to put the race on as scheduled but they should of stopped before the first feature. I told my family when we were pulling out that someone was going to get hurt if they kept racing on that mess. I hate that it actually happened.
I don't want this to be about anything other than the incident with Chesley, but yes, the track was terrible. We got 6 inches of rain the day before, from Hurricane Hermine. I was shocked the event wasn't cancelled or postponed. Having said that, they reworked the track after the second caution. It was pretty smooth when they restarted, compared to what it was before. But it was still heavy, soft and tacky, and that's not good racing conditions for these cars. The track conditions obviously played a part in Chesley's car hooking the right side and rolling over, but everything that followed was 100% the fault of the people in charge of making sure safety is the #1 priority.

Swainsboro is a nice facility, but it's very poorly operated. I could make an entire post about what the 00 car was allowed to get away with in the 10K to win SS feature, but that's another story for another time.

Cardirt0
09-05-2016, 03:44 PM
I just hope hes OK !!!! he will do what he has too do for Him self .. What ever it is I will Back him....

Crashmagnet
09-05-2016, 03:53 PM
This sounds identical to what happened at Southern Ohio. Nothing was learned. Nothing has changed. Nothing is going to change until the insurance companies shut down racetracks with insufficient safety equipment through extremely high rates.
And as far as racers and cars are concerned, the sanctioning bodies have to step up and mandate on board extinguishers, true fuel cells, and taller cages on these (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)#d cars.
I don't know what else to say, it's sad, dirt racing is fun, everybody on this board loves it, but man it's got problems.

Stede Bonnet
09-05-2016, 06:07 PM
I don't recall ever seeing an actual firetruck at any of the tracks I grew up at, but we did have a dedicated fire/emergency vehicle equipped with some rescue equipment. Always had ambulance and EMT's standing by, but not an actual firetruck, never seen that anywhere... I think making the cars more easily escapable would be a logical good move. Lower the decking, raise the halo height. Too much focus has been put on restraint, but that's normal over reaction in one direction. Another safety issue would be rules regarding the bodies and certain suspension components so they arent as prone to getting upside down. Prior to 1998, with 12 years racing experience up to then, I'd only ever seen 2 dlm's ever turn over, whats changed? Modern setups are just more dangerous, I'd like to see that change.

TerryM
09-05-2016, 07:18 PM
I don't recall ever seeing an actual firetruck at any of the tracks I grew up at, but we did have a dedicated fire/emergency vehicle equipped with some rescue equipment.
That's what I'm referring to when I say fire truck. I mean a fire safety vehicle, not necessarily the big red fire truck most people think of when you hear that term.

billetbirdcage
09-05-2016, 07:18 PM
I've never been all that in favor of mandating rules or safety equipment if its something that doesn't effect others, sort of like motorcycle helmet rules and etc. If you don't wear one, the risk is pretty much all on you and have no effect on anyone else, but that can't be said about eye protection on a bike where if something gets into your eye and you can't see then you could kill someone else (just an example). If you want to race without a fire suit, I really don't care as it's stupid and all on you then.

But anyways some things to improve safety:

1. All your fuel fittings should be steel not aluminum as during a roll over they are going to be much harder to snap off and run the fuel out of the lines. Granted no one does this and aluminum AN fitting are pretty much the standard. But how many times have you seen a wreck and the fitting gets snapped off the block mounted fuel pump or fuel cell? Lines rarely rip in half in my experience but fittings snap off fairly easy.

2. Battery mounting: many are not mounted that great where they can shift in the battery box and arch to ground causing sparks thus more chance to ignite any spilled fuel. A non conductive cover over the battery terminals would go a long ways to prevent arching and sparks

3. Tracks having a grappling hook or a hook on a long pole with a chain or fire retardant rope to allow people to turn a car over or move it into a more desired position when they can't get close to said car due to fire. Just something to allow the car to be turned over quickly if it's in a position that hampers the drivers or works ability to get the driver out of the car.

4. The cars are fast enough that really the frame construction rules are really not up to par and it's never checked anyways but 1.5" .065 tubing on the main cage is really sketchy for the speeds these cars are going on some race tracks. Think about this what's holding the engine from being in you lap in a head on impact? A 1/4" aluminum mid plate and 2 half inch bolts that attach to side aluminum motor mounts that are bolted to likely lightened aluminum block with 3 3/8" bolts. There isn't much stopping the engine from ending up in your feet/lap, maybe the dizzy hitting the dash bar and the headers hitting the foot box.

5. A fuel shut off (possibly with a external cable that someone could close it without getting right next to the cell) made into the fuel cell would likely help instead of relying on a roll over valve that probably isn't ever checked to see if it's working and the flapper valves on the fill cap that is constantly being bend by the funnel when filling it with fuel. Anything to make the lines/fitting harder to break off during a wreck/rollover and leak fuel would be a plus.

6. Already mentions was the obvious things like fire suppression and related safety equipment. Anyone that wears a 2 piece fire suit and thinking they have some safety is crazy. You think those flames aren't going to go right up the between the pants and jacket?????????

In short, you need to rely on yourself and make decision if it safe to race. Just remember your car may be up to snuff but you may get into a pile up and someone else's car isn't and a fire breaks out and your caught in it.

TerryM
09-05-2016, 07:23 PM
I hope everyone gets a chance to read the statement put out by Bridget Dixon today. I saw it through Duane Goins sharing it on Facebook. It's one of the most emotionally touching things I've ever read. Literally brought tears to my and my wife's eyes. The work of our almighty God is a beautiful and powerful thing.

71PRPFan
09-05-2016, 08:47 PM
Very sad. I lost a family member on April 19th and tracks still aren't stepping up. How many does it take

Cardirt0
09-05-2016, 08:52 PM
That's what I'm referring to when I say fire truck. I mean a fire safety vehicle, not necessarily the big red fire truck most people think of when you hear that term.

You can buy back pack Foam fire Ex.. Foam from 35 feet a way if you had 2 of them one foams the driver and 1 foams the fire.. As I under stand they under a 1000 bucks
(TRI-MAX 3 CAF-Pack) Do a Fund razer and give them too the fire house in there town with the under standing that the race track gets them on race night...2 of them could have put out that fire in 2 min or less...

Highside Hustler25
09-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Nobody should race at a facility without a fire safety crew on sight. I do not know of this racer but thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. Being burnt is a terrible and very painful injury.

Cardirt0
09-05-2016, 08:58 PM
I hope everyone gets a chance to read the statement put out by Bridget Dixon today. I saw it through Duane Goins sharing it on Facebook. It's one of the most emotionally touching things I've ever read. Literally brought tears to my and my wife's eyes. The work of our almighty God is a beautiful and powerful thing.

post a link to it...please

Cardirt0
09-05-2016, 09:04 PM

Pick up truck with a Foamer on it Small foamer put out a jet fire in under 2 min...Good foamer under 30 sec on a race car...Foam is the way too go....Water just moves the gas a round still burns foam covers it...

davis2902
09-05-2016, 10:55 PM
https://www.facebook.com/duane.goins.79/posts/1206871826000638

Cardirt0
09-05-2016, 10:59 PM
https://www.facebook.com/duane.goins.79/posts/1206871826000638

Thank You.......

Stede Bonnet
09-05-2016, 11:01 PM
I've never been all that in favor of mandating rules or safety equipment if its something that doesn't effect others, sort of like motorcycle helmet rules and etc. If you don't wear one, the risk is pretty much all on you and have no effect on anyone else, but that can't be said about eye protection on a bike where if something gets into your eye and you can't see then you could kill someone else (just an example). If you want to race without a fire suit, I really don't care as it's stupid and all on you then.

But anyways some things to improve safety:

1. All your fuel fittings should be steel not aluminum as during a roll over they are going to be much harder to snap off and run the fuel out of the lines. Granted no one does this and aluminum AN fitting are pretty much the standard. But how many times have you seen a wreck and the fitting gets snapped off the block mounted fuel pump or fuel cell? Lines rarely rip in half in my experience but fittings snap off fairly easy.

2. Battery mounting: many are not mounted that great where they can shift in the battery box and arch to ground causing sparks thus more chance to ignite any spilled fuel. A non conductive cover over the battery terminals would go a long ways to prevent arching and sparks

3. Tracks having a grappling hook or a hook on a long pole with a chain or fire retardant rope to allow people to turn a car over or move it into a more desired position when they can't get close to said car due to fire. Just something to allow the car to be turned over quickly if it's in a position that hampers the drivers or works ability to get the driver out of the car.

4. The cars are fast enough that really the frame construction rules are really not up to par and it's never checked anyways but 1.5" .065 tubing on the main cage is really sketchy for the speeds these cars are going on some race tracks. Think about this what's holding the engine from being in you lap in a head on impact? A 1/4" aluminum mid plate and 2 half inch bolts that attach to side aluminum motor mounts that are bolted to likely lightened aluminum block with 3 3/8" bolts. There isn't much stopping the engine from ending up in your feet/lap, maybe the dizzy hitting the dash bar and the headers hitting the foot box.

5. A fuel shut off (possibly with a external cable that someone could close it without getting right next to the cell) made into the fuel cell would likely help instead of relying on a roll over valve that probably isn't ever checked to see if it's working and the flapper valves on the fill cap that is constantly being bend by the funnel when filling it with fuel. Anything to make the lines/fitting harder to break off during a wreck/rollover and leak fuel would be a plus.

6. Already mentions was the obvious things like fire suppression and related safety equipment. Anyone that wears a 2 piece fire suit and thinking they have some safety is crazy. You think those flames aren't going to go right up the between the pants and jacket?????????

In short, you need to rely on yourself and make decision if it safe to race. Just remember your car may be up to snuff but you may get into a pile up and someone else's car isn't and a fire breaks out and your caught in it.
I agree with everything he said, very logical simple things. Great post Billet

chupp n bloomer fan
09-06-2016, 07:00 AM
Sorry I was talking about each individual track.

I don't know of to many tracks in this area that has a fire truck onsiteGotcha. I don't mean like a full blown full size fire truck. But a pick-up fire truck with guys on it trained who know what they are doing.

kidrock
09-06-2016, 07:26 AM
Gotcha. I don't mean like a full blown full size fire truck. But a pick-up fire truck with guys on it trained who know what they are doing.

Well my home track has a few pick up trucks but, they have trained fire fighters that are also trained EMT's. I'm not sure what kind of special fire equipment they have in the pick up truck other than fire extinguishers.

Bob Hubbard
09-06-2016, 08:02 AM
I read someplace the bigger 75 lb bottles do a better job than a bunch of small ones .... I guess the full volume of a Bigger extinguisher doesnt give the fire a chance to breath ... Smothering it all at once im guessing ....

Raceready
09-06-2016, 08:21 AM
Most all the tracks in my area (Western Pa.) allow the VFD's to sell 50/50 tickets and collect the proceeds for the VFD, do various other things to make money for the VFD's, give them free food and admission, and some if not all the tracks also give them a nice donation too. Which track was it in central PA that the promoter went berky because the fire department started to leave the track because the promoter was to pay them some piddly amount like $50.00 each week and he couldn't even cough up that amount so he put on a demolition show between his pickup and the fire truck? I think someone pulled him out of his truck and the PoPo hauled his sorry butt away.Was it Gamblers ? The track that used to be Hidden Valley 20 some years ago and was on the same road as Clearfield Speedway ?

ClampedUp
09-06-2016, 08:52 AM
Which track was it in central PA that the promoter went berky because the fire department started to leave the track because the promoter was to pay them some piddly amount like $50.00 each week and he couldn't even cough up that amount so he put on a demolition show between his pickup and the fire truck? I think someone pulled him out of his truck and the PoPo hauled his sorry butt away.Was it Gamblers ? The track that used to be Hidden Valley 20 some years ago and was on the same road as Clearfield Speedway ?

You sir are correct........

Fast Wheels
09-06-2016, 08:57 AM
It is just UNBELIEVABLE that any track would not have a fire department on site after what happened this spring at Southern Ohio Speedway. And at Southern Ohio, they actually did have a fire department on site but supposedly the pump on the fire truck malfunctioned. No excuse for not having a fire truck with trained fireman. Many tracks have their fire companies selling 50/50 to benefit them to get them to come.

All the racers know the risks when they strap in the cars. It is up to them and their car builders to build the safest car possible. That is what should be expected of them. But it is also up to the tracks do whatever they can to assure safety. Having a fire truck and ambulance on site with trained personnel is what should be expected of the tracks.

In the Southern Ohio incident, the track did what they should have done and it was a tragic chain of events. In this Swainsboro case, the track did not and there should be some liability on their part.

bayou tuff
09-06-2016, 10:48 AM
If you go to a racetrack and they don't have a fire truck with FOAM on board, turn around and leave! Foam is the only thing that will put out a race fuel fire. ALL tracks should have trained firefighters and medical(paramedics, emt's) at the track ready to go in a seconds notice. Take it from a retired firefighter who was at Paducah many years ago when Jim Dunn lost his life. Drivers, inspect the fire equipment at the track BEFORE the races and never depend on someone's word that adequate equipment is on site. Racing is an inherently a very dangerous sport, but some risks like fire can be reduced substantially just by the track and drivers taking the necessary precautions beforehand.

Cardirt0
09-06-2016, 10:50 AM
I read someplace the bigger 75 lb bottles do a better job than a bunch of small ones .... I guess the full volume of a Bigger extinguisher doesnt give the fire a chance to breath ... Smothering it all at once im guessing ....

Its a Gas Fire ,... You should use whats best for a Gas Fire...3 kinds of Fire Ex.. 1 wet .. 2 one that remove the air... and 3 Foam...you can get all 3 in 50 and 75 pound bottles..
1 wet is not good for gas fires
2 will work but on a big fire if you dont get it out be for the tank runs out it spreads Plus you have too be close to the Fire..
3 foam covers the gas once the gas is covered the fire can not spread back too that part that coverd and be part of the fire...
Cover the Fire with Foam and finch it off with 2s
With Foam you can get back packs that will shoot the foam 35 feet.. So even on a big fire its the only one you can keep using it to fight the Fire...
I learned this at a air force base that gave Fire fighting Classes.. Did a class on how, and what too use, On what kind of fire it is...

bayou tuff
09-06-2016, 11:07 AM
Cold Fyre eco-friendly, biodegradable, easy to clean up and will put out a race fuel fire. FOAM!!!!

Cardirt0
09-06-2016, 11:15 AM
Cold Fyre eco-friendly, biodegradable, easy to clean up and will put out a race fuel fire. FOAM!!!!

Can say it enuff Foam Foam Foam.. No only the Best ...But the only way too fight a Gas fire...

Cardirt0
09-06-2016, 11:21 AM
http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_best_way_to_put_out_a_gas_fire?#slide= 1
Google What the best way to put out a Gas fire.. Click above
Add
90 % of all fire EX at race tracks are co2.. If you see a fog from them its a co2 ..They need too replace them with FOAM ones...

flagone
09-06-2016, 12:25 PM
We utilize Purple K in all of our extinguishers. We have 2 10# for each 4 wheeler. Purple K and Cold Fyre are both good for fuel fires.

Cardirt0
09-06-2016, 12:47 PM
We utilize Purple K in all of our extinguishers. We have 2 10# for each 4 wheeler. Purple K and Cold Fyre are both good for fuel fires.

Its good too know you care about your drivers.. You should let them know that you are set up to save them and they need to ask the other tracks they race at if they do...It still would not hurt too have small Form truck on hand...

bayou tuff
09-06-2016, 01:53 PM
Good job Flagone!! maybe announce this at the Drivers meeting?

a25rjr
09-06-2016, 03:13 PM

Kelly, since you're the director of a series, would it be a good or bad idea to require each team to carry a fire extinguisher on their pit cart/four wheeler? I really don't see how it could hurt!

GRT24
09-06-2016, 03:36 PM
At dixie speedway. They have a some full time fighters that work at the track and I think two of them stay in the pants and boots and if something happens they can put on there jackets and gear A lot of times there's a full size truck that's has on duty firefighters at the truck. They park by the outside pit gate and stand on top and watch the races. They also have an old ambulance outfitted with rescue stuff and extinguishers.

flagone
09-06-2016, 03:49 PM
I think having an extinguisher on all the pit carts or 4-wheelers is a great idea. As long as its an ABC or one of those I mentioned. H2O and CO2 extinguisher are fairly useless for fuel fires. In fact H2O only serves to make the fire bigger in area.

Bayou we have been carrying Purple K for probably 5 years now. I was once a firefighter and I am still to this day a paramedic so I had a little edge on some as far as knowledge of what to have.

I was asked just yesterday to be involved in a seminar regarding track safety and I plan to participate.

Here is a link to purchase a Purple K ext. (we have the $77 one) https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=fire+extinguisher+purple+k&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=112982568520&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11869328478012650673&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010391&hvtargid=kwd-27204356804&ref=pd_sl_2abhb6ry8n_b

Cardirt0
09-06-2016, 05:12 PM
When The Rantoul air force base was still open .. My Bro. in Law was Head of Supply for the hole base .. It was the numb. 1 for fire fight in the world for training for Fire .. He got me on base too see them put out a Big fire like on a B 1 bomber Big a$$ Thing .. them foam trucks hit it when the Hole thing was on Fire .. Plane COOL it was 48 sec the fire was out...Foam on a Gas fire... Only way too go...
add
I should all so add that they used Big A$$ trucks.. but it still works the same...

CGF
09-06-2016, 09:19 PM
What are better ways to prevent the fuel from escaping the system in a crash .

flagone
09-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Soft Bladder Fuel Cells

Cardirt0
09-07-2016, 12:55 AM
Soft Bladder Fuel Cells

Yap Even a good size hole and if it is leaking it will not be as fast...

DoubleZero
09-07-2016, 06:25 AM
The modern dirt late model has other safety issues, too........ Getting out of the car. Low roof lines, interior boxing/sheet metal both are at the forefront. Other factors, although they are safety components are the containment seat and even the HANS-type devise, all contribute to make exiting-challenges. Especially quick ones. If a car lands driver's side down, it's tough for the driver to get out, or to even extricate the driver by others. With a fire............

bayou tuff
09-07-2016, 07:04 AM
Flagone, Cardirt0, Thanks for all the POSITIVE comments, I too am retired firefighter Flagone, lol. So I think the three of us should take our fire safety show on the road and preach it brothers. FOAM, FOAM FOAM, can't say it enuff. need to also check the emergency vehicles for the jaws of life!!

Cardirt0
09-07-2016, 09:51 AM
Flagone, Cardirt0, Thanks for all the POSITIVE comments, I too am retired firefighter Flagone, lol. So I think the three of us should take our fire safety show on the road and preach it brothers. FOAM, FOAM FOAM, can't say it enuff. need to also check the emergency vehicles for the jaws of life!!
Plus Fire Gear a person trying to get the man out of the car.. If he has on the right Fire gear on.. He has 2 or 3 min more time too try and get him out of the car .... then you dont give a $hit about the car FOAM the driver First...I am not a Firefighter but been a round gas and Fuel so much, I though it be good for me too know what too do if there is a fire So I did classes...Most people see a fire the start at the top of the fire .. No No No you hit the fire at the base of the Fire first..Got to Think when there is a fire, keep you Head, Someones life may depend on it...
A good firefighter is Not just knowing what to do as much as what too do first..
Add
I guess seeing someone burn 90% of there body ,was enuff for me too learn what too do so if i see it agen.. So I know what too to do to try and STOP it... Plus not knowing what to do you may do something too make it Worst...

Cardirt0
09-07-2016, 10:13 AM
Power shears cut a tube on the frame in 2 sec flat.. never hurts too have them to...

Bubstr
09-07-2016, 01:23 PM
It would be a good thing, to train all the track workers for fire fighting fuel fires. Some of the guys are volunteers that just get to watch the races for being there at some tracks. It's not that they don't want to do the best job possible, it's jst that no one showed them. To be truthful a lot of regular firemen are not great on fuel fires, just because they don't see them often. I was trained on a flight deck of a aircraft carrier and we saw more than our share. A rescue has combined elements. Water umbrella spray to knock down the heat, Foam to suppress oxygen to the fire and Heat suit to aid the removal of the Pilot/ Driver. A well trained crew can rescue and put a 600 pounds of JP out, in seconds not minutes. I have seen a A7A, drive a strut thew a wing tank and crash on the hook. Fire was put out in a little over 10 seconds and deck cleared in 10 minutes. Pilot and RIO unharmed. It is not a impossible task. I was there. It will scare the Bejesus out of you. You jump 10 foot in the air and land with a hose in your hand. The second one gets easier. It is easier to run towards the fire than away. That umbrella spray is so important just to reduce heat for a rescue. Regular hose water does not work. It will spread the flames. Foam is needed. These guys should learn from the experts on these kind of fires. There must be manuals for it.

Cardirt0
09-07-2016, 01:34 PM
It would be a good thing, to train all the track workers for fire fighting fuel fires. Some of the guys are volunteers that just get to watch the races for being there at some tracks. It's not that they don't want to do the best job possible, it's jst that no one showed them. To be truthful a lot of regular firemen are not great on fuel fires, just because they don't see them often. I was trained on a flight deck of a aircraft carrier and we saw more than our share. A rescue has combined elements. Water umbrella spray to knock down the heat, Foam to suppress oxygen to the fire and Heat suit to aid the removal of the Pilot/ Driver. A well trained crew can rescue and put a 600 pounds of JP out, in seconds not minutes. I have seen a A7A, drive a strut thew a wing tank and crash on the hook. Fire was put out in a little over 10 seconds and deck cleared in 10 minutes. Pilot and RIO unharmed. It is not a impossible task. I was there. It will scare the Bejesus out of you. You jump 10 foot in the air and land with a hose in your hand. The second one gets easier. It is easier to run towards the fire than away. That umbrella spray is so important just to reduce heat for a rescue. Regular hose water does not work. It will spread the flames. Foam is needed. These guys should learn from the experts on these kind of fires. There must be manuals for it.

There is a lot of places you can get to teach you what too do it at little to no cost if you look around..When I was at the Air force base.. they Said You have too stay cool keep you head..Then do this first..They made a Point If you do it right its out fast...All people on the infield should have some kind of training for gas fires...

BloomerHarvickFan
09-07-2016, 01:48 PM
it seems like I remember Atomic Speedway, (in Tennessee) used to have a contracted group of safety workers who were rescue personnel, equipped with everything they needed, and they all dressed alike, so you knew who was who.
Does anyone remember this group? Sounds like a good idea for tracks to use.

GRT24
09-07-2016, 02:12 PM
it seems like I remember Atomic Speedway, (in Tennessee) used to have a contracted group of safety workers who were rescue personnel, equipped with everything they needed, and they all dressed alike, so you knew who was who.
Does anyone remember this group? Sounds like a good idea for tracks to use.

Did they have several UTVs fitted with fire equipment and rescue gear and wore the all red Gforce suits? I have seen them at several tracks. I remember they had there gear on at all times including helmets. The last place I seen them I think was over at Green Valley or TST during the Al state championship or the Ice Bowl

BloomerHarvickFan
09-07-2016, 02:55 PM
yeah...that was them. I thought it was a first class way to handle it.

flagone
09-07-2016, 04:57 PM
2 different groups guys.

Atomic was MSR - Motorsports Rescue my buddy Shannon Dishner's group - no longer in business.

The UTV guys are Track Pro Motorsports which belongs to my other buddy Gary McCullar - still active.

FlatTire
09-07-2016, 05:07 PM
Do they make an onboard foam system?

Cardirt0
09-07-2016, 05:51 PM
Do they make an onboard foam system?

Lots of sizes lot of people make good foam fire Eq.. from 10 pound to 1000 pound from hand held to back packs too small trucks too BIG fire trucks...You can buy good foam hand 10 20 pound ones from Home depot..
....so came back and an. your ?
Sorry did not read onboard .. Most can be loaded with H2O or Co2 or Foam..If it was me I have 5 pounder Strapped down just to the right of me so I could spray me down.. to help teal can get me out..If you covered with foam you have 80% change of keeping you from burns for 2 min or more min then If you dont If you are covered with gas.. And you foam your self the gas can not burn.. Can only be good...

dirtfan2757
09-08-2016, 06:42 PM
They are live now having a driver's meeting about upgrading fire safety. It's online

dirtfan2757
09-08-2016, 06:43 PM
https://www.facebook.com/swainsbororaceway/videos/1035061273259166/

Cardirt0
09-08-2016, 06:52 PM
They got a Foam truck GOOD for them....

dirtfan2757
09-08-2016, 06:57 PM
Racing is a dangerous sport. Remember that Nascar didn't implement soft walls and HANS device until Earnhardt's death. It took this for them to live and learn. Maybe this will help dirt tracks all over become more proactive.

Cardirt0
09-08-2016, 06:58 PM
And they looking too add foam too the water trucks.. that mean the trucks to water the track would become fire fighting trucks in a gas fire...they are on top of it.. live and learn..They have Learned...

dirtfan2757
09-08-2016, 07:14 PM
Not sure who watched the end, but his suit was nearly in tact. I believe I heard them say it was a triple layer.

It saved his life.

Cardirt0
09-08-2016, 07:27 PM
Not sure who watched the end, but his suit was nearly in tact. I believe I heard them say it was a triple layer.

It saved his life.

I got a phone call so missed the end, but I did read some were that his suit was a good one and that he may have died if it was not..And his burns were not as bad cause he had on a new real good Fire Suit..
A lot of drivers wash there Fire suits.. They need to know that ever time they wash them they dont work as good then and they need too retreat them...from time to time...

bill94el
09-08-2016, 09:15 PM
This has been going on well over 50yrs. There shouldn't be a race held without trained fire and rescue on-hand ready to react at a moments notice.

My uncle was at Charlotte Motor Speedway the day that Fireball Roberts' car caught fire and he eventually perished. He (my uncle) said he could have run from the grandstands, climbed the fence and made it to the wreck before any track officials got to Fireball. My uncle is a strong man, but you could tell by the look in his eyes as he told his story that it was traumatizing to watch. There were drivers there, but they couldn't do anything for several minutes with all the fire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_World_600

bigtime0ne
11-10-2016, 09:47 AM
Good Morning to all! I would like to inform everyone that there will be new changes for safety coming to the track. Chesley is much better, and is doing great.

birky time
11-10-2016, 10:20 AM
yea I was there when Charlie Floyd got burned up...now having time to think about what I could've done different for him I would've got a truck or something and turn is car where he was up hill instead of down hill to give the fire crew more time....I was just a crew member helping my brother that night. I saw the wreck and the fire and saw that the fire truck was there in no time and kept working underneath my brothers car thinking they would get it out but after about 3or4 min the flames was still huge I told my brother to grab is fire extinguisher and help put out the fire...bout 70-80yrds away he ran and helped i got there at the end to help flip the car over Charlie was fighting for air but the damage was already done

zach51
11-10-2016, 10:35 AM
That is heart wrenching to read and try to comprehend birky. I suppose we can only hope that we can learn from terrible things like that. If anybody was watching DOD broadcast on Saturday from EAMS, they had a street stock catch fire in turn 1, and not the slightest clue what the he11 to do.

birky time
11-10-2016, 11:12 AM
That is heart wrenching to read and try to comprehend birky. I suppose we can only hope that we can learn from terrible things like that. If anybody was watching DOD broadcast on Saturday from EAMS, they had a street stock catch fire in turn 1, and not the slightest clue what the he11 to do.

its hard to think quick under pressure and in stressed moments I guess we live and learn

dmr37
11-10-2016, 04:25 PM
its hard to think quick under pressure and in stressed moments I guess we live and learnThat's why there should be professionals there and at all tracks

chupp n bloomer fan
11-11-2016, 04:04 PM
That's why there should be professionals there and at all tracksCorrect. If you cannot handle the pressure, quit, or get outta the way for those that can. People are depending on you, don't have a fukin panic attack, could be the difference between life and death for that person.