PDA

View Full Version : The lore of The World 100

BTExpress
09-08-2016, 10:02 AM
I understand the tradition and the significance of the race, but what motivates the majority of race teams to go every year knowing the chances of even qualifying are slim. Do most of the teams view it as a mini vacation to be able to compete against the best, or do they really feel they have a shot?.....I would compare The World to the Knoxville Nationals as far as the same mentality of attracting teams from around the country who will be lucky if they can even make the starting grid....I am assuming it costs most teams "a few bucks" with tires, fuel for the haulers, hotel expenses and food to feed the crew, before they even fire up the engine.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-08-2016, 10:14 AM
I understand the tradition and the significance of the race, but what motivates the majority of race teams to go every year knowing the chances of even qualifying are slim. Do most of the teams view it as a mini vacation to be able to compete against the best, or do they really feel they have a shot?.....I would compare The World to the Knoxville Nationals as far as the same mentality of attracting teams from around the country who will be lucky if they can even make the starting grid....I am assuming it costs most teams "a few bucks" with tires, fuel for the haulers, hotel expenses and food to feed the crew, before they even fire up the engine.

To make that field is something to be proud of for a weekend warrior. Saying you made the North South just doesnt hold the same weight 10 years from now.

The few bucks just went up quite a bit this year.

Krooser
09-08-2016, 12:47 PM
Like Mastersbilt racer sez it's the thrill of the hunt.

I ran the old IMCA 'Florida Series' in '87 knowing I had a snowballs chance in hell of winning with my claimer motor against the open motors allowed for the series. But a top five finish on a bumpy, ice slick track at Lake City made it all worth while.

And you don't get better unless you race against the bestest and fastest....

Cardirt0
09-08-2016, 01:21 PM
Like Mastersbilt racer sez it's the thrill of the hunt.

I ran the old IMCA 'Florida Series' in '87 knowing I had a snowballs chance in hell of winning with my claimer motor against the open motors allowed for the series. But a top five finish on a bumpy, ice slick track at Lake City made it all worth while.

And you don't get better unless you race against the bestest and fastest....

Its not that you lost .. Its Who you lost too..If you make the field you can all way say.. I ran against the best.. Its not were you ended up its you raced on the same track..A TRUE Winner is not all was the one that won its the one that Tried too win (may had no change too win) But did his best...If there is only 1 car running the race there is NO winner..

Krooser
09-08-2016, 01:51 PM
I like the way you think....

Cardirt0
09-08-2016, 02:08 PM
I like the way you think....

Its Like this If you have too win too have fans ..Lots of drivers would have no fans .. So why do so meany drivers have so meany fans.. That dont win a lot of races..Maybe they Like the way you race and when you do win .. You dont make there day but you made there year...I know a lot of fans that say ,, was in the Pits and the big name driver sign my hat and turn a way and was gone .. And then the stopped at the small time driver pit and the driver spends a 1/2 hour speaking too you.. hes Glad you stopped by .. he now has a new fan,, You will scream your A$$ of for him when he does good and be sad when he dont...He Loves his 1 fan more then the big name driver cares for them all...That True RACING...Thats why they are called Fans Win or LOSE they are your FAN..

CIRF
09-08-2016, 05:09 PM
I used to have a VHS video of the history of the World Hundred I bought at a racing trade show in Daytona way back in the mid 1980's. The World had been in existence for a decade or so when the tape was made. At one point on the tape there is footage of Earl at the World weekend's initial drivers meeting. He said, and I quote, "if you make this race you're somebody, don't forget that". At the time I had only attended maybe 1 or 2 Worlds but was enamored with the spectacle of the whole thing and Earls words would obviously stick with me to this very day. It was the only really big dirt late model races I'd been to at that time and it lived up to all the hype and expectations that I had at that time.

A friend of mine who I helped out with his racing operation was a multi-time FALS dirt late model track champion back in the 1980's through the early 2000's once told me while we were having a beer or two that there were two of his racing accomplishments that shine brighter than all the others, and there were many. Beating Billy Moyer in a UMP Summernationals A-main event and transferring into the World Hundred A-main 3 times and running top 10 in the World A-main.

I believe there is no other dirt late model race that has holds the romance and lore of the World Hundred. No matter what dirt late model race that comes along the World will always hold the most importance to the fans and the competitors, alike.

Cardirt0
09-08-2016, 05:23 PM
CIRF -----YEP !!!!!! Just too make the Show/What other race can say that... I am a big Erb fan Him winning the Dream was so cool.... NOW I want him too win the WORLD...

CIRF
09-08-2016, 05:30 PM
Its Like this If you have too win too have fans ..Lots of drivers would have no fans .. So why do so meany drivers have so meany fans.. That dont win a lot of races..Maybe they Like the way you race and when you do win .. You dont make there day but you made there year...I know a lot of fans that say ,, was in the Pits and the big name driver sign my hat and turn a way and was gone .. And then the stopped at the small time driver pit and the driver spends a 1/2 hour speaking too you.. hes Glad you stopped by .. he now has a new fan,, You will scream your A$$ of for him when he does good and be sad when he dont...He Loves his 1 fan more then the big name driver cares for them all...That True RACING...Thats why they are called Fans Win or LOSE they are your FAN..
Hey Gary, a driver that is one of the biggest names in dirt racing EVER fits your description almost to a T. Mr. Jack Hewitt always treated his fans as you described. I spent some time with Jack just this past Saturday night at Du Quoin after the Silver Crown race there. He's been pretty much retired (and beat up) since 2002 but was the same friendly, personable and jovial guy he was back in the days that we'd go to the pits to see him when he was winning a dozen or more races a year, qualified for the '98 Indy 500 and when he won all 4 or the 4 Crown Nationals!!

As you describe, there were hundreds, maybe even thousands of us fans that lived and died with how he ran in any particular race. Sometimes when he'd be running up front towards the end of a race we'd get such a knot in our stomach I'd think to myself how can I be this wrapped up in the outcome of an event which I have no financial stake. Reason? Because he was one of us and made you feel as if he was one of us every time we talked to him!

What you're saying is pretty much spot on but it's not always just the little guy that appreciates their fans, Ol' Jack always did, and does to this day.

Cardirt0
09-08-2016, 05:57 PM
CIRF--- Have spoke too him more the one ..and you are right.. he was a Fan driver..If you ran in to him on the street And you say JACK he stop and shoot the Bull with you even if he had too be some were..You would think you been friends with him for years...He was Good for Dirt racing for Shour....

chupp n bloomer fan
09-08-2016, 09:08 PM
Hey Gary, a driver that is one of the biggest names in dirt racing EVER fits your description almost to a T. Mr. Jack Hewitt always treated his fans as you described. I spent some time with Jack just this past Saturday night at Du Quoin after the Silver Crown race there. He's been pretty much retired (and beat up) since 2002 but was the same friendly, personable and jovial guy he was back in the days that we'd go to the pits to see him when he was winning a dozen or more races a year, qualified for the '98 Indy 500 and when he won all 4 or the 4 Crown Nationals!!

As you describe, there were hundreds, maybe even thousands of us fans that lived and died with how he ran in any particular race. Sometimes when he'd be running up front towards the end of a race we'd get such a knot in our stomach I'd think to myself how can I be this wrapped up in the outcome of an event which I have no financial stake. Reason? Because he was one of us and made you feel as if he was one of us every time we talked to him!

What you're saying is pretty much spot on but it's not always just the little guy that appreciates their fans, Ol' Jack always did, and does to this day.Jack and his demeanor, just one of a kind. And in a good way.

Who was your buddy CIRF, Doug McCammon? 92 I think he was. He ran pretty good at the Big E.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-08-2016, 09:11 PM
There is nothing like the start of the first heat Saturday. Kills me I'm not going, but I gotta work Friday night, then Sunday night. Don't see my kids as it is, so I'm just not going.

CIRF
09-09-2016, 09:07 AM
Jack and his demeanor, just one of a kind. And in a good way.We had Pole Day garage passes at Indy back in 1998. Jack had just put the #18 PDM car in the show and he, his wife Jody and son Cody were hanging out at the #18 garage. Naturally we were hanging around there as well. My wife made the comment pointing out the size crowd there was at the #18 garage as opposed to other garage area's. Guys like pole sitter Billy Boat, former winners of the 500 Arie Luyendyk and Buddy Lazier and eventual winner in '98 Kenny Brack had a fraction of the crowd around their garages compared to the crowd milling around Jack & Jody and the #18 garage. Jack was like a kid in a candy store and talked to everyone. Here was a guy that had won dozens of high profile races, was one of the legitimate tough guys of the sport so ecstatic and happy that he could hardly contain himself and sincerely wanted to share his joy with every one of us there at the #18 garage area. We literally saw grown men tear up a bit in that scene. We were fan's and friends prior to that day but that whole experience solidified how we would feel about the man from that day forward to this minute.

Jack told me personally that when he was voted into the USAC Hall of Fame by the fans it means far, far more to him than if he'd been voted in by the selection committee. He wears that fact like a huge badge of honor!

Who was your buddy CIRFGood ol' number 49.

CIRF
09-09-2016, 09:17 AM
There is nothing like the start of the first heat Saturday. Kills me I'm not going, but I gotta work Friday night, then Sunday night. Don't see my kids as it is, so I'm just not going.cnbf, I feel for you, buddy! Due to business obligations it's beginning to look as if we're not going to be able to make it to the 4 Crown Nationals over at Eldora and it's going to slowly kill me not being there if it turns out we can't go.

You're to be commended for putting your kids first! The World will probably always be there but the kids grow up only once, and fast, too!

Cardirt0
09-09-2016, 09:57 AM
My dad all was worked so much.. he say going fishing.. want to go he say ... I did not ..But I know he had time too fish or be with me... So he could do both if i went with him...So i went...Not a big fisher man... Miss them days now..All was make time for your Kids...CIRF--- last time I was at the 500 was the year Savage was killed i think 1972 or 73 Seen him hit the wall know he was dead.. then people on pit roll hurt and i think one was kill by fire truck going the wrong way...I think that was a tue race lots of rain...Was going to school in Ind. then...I had the run of the race track my best friend back then dad was the head Pit S..Had a pass too it all...Them were the days...

BTExpress
09-09-2016, 10:12 AM
As the original poster of this thread..... I now understand the "lore" of the WORLD 100...Matt Miller, Hudson O'Neil, Dustin Noble, Andrew Reaume, Michael Norris, Mike Mataragas, Cody Mahoney, Tim Lance, Joey Moriarty, Rob Toland and Josh Putman, etc.......ALL pleasant surprises from the first night. They all made the features, and did well, over some of the more common bigger names of the sport. Job well done.

CIRF
09-09-2016, 10:19 AM
As the original poster of this thread..... I now understand the "lore" of the WORLD 100...Matt Miller, Hudson O'Neil, Dustin Noble, Andrew Reaume, Michael Norris, Mike Mataragas, Cody Mahoney, Tim Lance, Joey Moriarty, Rob Toland and Josh Putman, etc.......ALL pleasant surprises from the first night. They all made the features, and did well, over some of the more common bigger names of the sport. Job well done.

BTExpress, I'm sorry for my contribution to the hijack of your thread.

Cardirt0
09-09-2016, 10:19 AM
Tim Lance there is a guy that give you 1/2 his gas if you need it even if he may need it.. he just loves too race...

Cardirt0
09-09-2016, 10:20 AM
BTExpress, I'm sorry for my contribution to the hijack of your thread.

Sorry too ..I dont think hes cares to much cause we Hi jacked it in a good way...But It is a good Thread..

BTExpress
09-09-2016, 10:53 AM
Ha ha......ALL GOOD

old fan
09-09-2016, 11:18 AM
Cirf rips the world 100 in one thread then brags about in another I wonder if he is running for ooffice

CIRF
09-09-2016, 12:02 PM
Never have ripped on the World. Merely said the times that I've attended it (23 to be exact) there were some that were less than stellar in entertainment value. No ones fault, not a rip on the World, it happens with every race if they run them long enough. Sometimes the partying and the hype outdistance the race itself in excitement. Happens all the time. And I pointed out some of the races that have been in existence longer. Once again, not a rip, just facts.

Since you tell out and out lies then I'm thinkin' you're running for office. Port-a-potty inspector at the taste of chitcago maybe? LOL!!

old fan
09-09-2016, 12:11 PM
You made it as second compared to the Allen Crowe race or anything on the miles good greif

old fan
09-09-2016, 12:14 PM
So the cubs been around long time look what tthey have done

old fan
09-09-2016, 12:16 PM
The track were legends are made

BloomerHarvickFan
09-09-2016, 12:34 PM
I'm not sure it's an answerable question. I have only been to a hand full of Worlds and a few Dreams. I loved it, but I'm not sure what exactly makes it such a spectacle (but it is). The racing in the years I went was not terribly good. It wasn't bad, but nothing spectacular, but you loved being there. It was the biggest track I'd ever been to. I know it's just a half mile, but it seems huge, due I'm sure to the super short straights and big sweeping turns. I think it goes back to Earl partly. It's big because Earl told everybody it was. He put a great name on it, and people just started flocking to it.
I do think that as crazy as it sounds the T-shirts helped. I can remember being a kid, before I'd ever been to many big races at all. You'd see someone wearing a "World 100" shirt and when they'd be sitting in front of me, I'd read names like Larry Moore, Jeff Purvis, Donnie Moran, Billy Moyer, Scott Bloomquist......and I remember thinking Wow....All those guys have won there.

BloomerHarvickFan
09-09-2016, 12:49 PM
And for whatever reason, the best usually rises up. I know he's not there this year, so nobody has to say "he wont do it this year", but Bloomquist has 18 top 5 fnishes in the World. That's double anyone else.
And starting in 1988, Bloomquist, Moyer and Moran won 12 out of 14!!!!!

CIRF
09-09-2016, 01:02 PM
You made it as second compared to the Allen Crowe race or anything on the miles good greifNo I didn't. I only pointed out that there were several races that had been around much longer, the Allen Crowe Memorial 100 being one of them.

Here's what appears to be your problem litey. $hit for brains!
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s54/p33pi3/comments/tumor.jpg

So the cubs been around long time look what tthey have doneAgain, refer to your X-ray above to attempt to understand what your malfunction is, litey.

Cardirt0
09-09-2016, 02:24 PM
No I didn't. I only pointed out that there were several races that had been around much longer, the Allen Crowe Memorial 100 being one of them.

Again, refer to your X-ray above to attempt to understand what your malfunction is, litey.

CIRF the thing is that Pile of $hit in his Head of that pic Is TO SMALL

Cardirt0
09-09-2016, 02:27 PM
And for whatever reason, the best usually rises up. I know he's not there this year, so nobody has to say "he wont do it this year", but Bloomquist has 18 top 5 fnishes in the World. That's double anyone else.

I can remember when 300 cars would show up just too hope they make the show. Less lone win it...

old fan
09-09-2016, 02:42 PM
So race that's been around longer even though it's scrap trump a race that has character a track rember that doesn't t have fairgrounds supporting 3500 lb tank lumbering around a mile track wait wait there is more people in the stands right than what ole sarge would ever dream of

old fan
09-09-2016, 02:47 PM
262 is the highest I saw bad time trail you go home home empty only 120 plus subs could race sat unlike Knoxville or chili bowl that why it's a track that legends are made of

CIRF
09-09-2016, 03:05 PM
CIRF the thing is that Pile of $hit in his Head of that pic Is TO SMALLI know it is Gary, but that's the best I could do on short notice! LOL!!

So race that's been around longer even though it's scrap trump a race that has character a track rember that doesn't t have fairgrounds supporting 3500 lb tank lumbering around a mile track wait wait there is more people in the stands right than what ole sarge would ever dream ofHuh?

262 is the highest I saw bad time trail you go home home empty only 120 plus subs could race sat unlike Knoxville or chili bowl that why it's a track that legends are made ofNot positive, but I think 262 is just a bit high but we'll go with that anyway. That means The Chili Bowl draws over 80 more cars (344) than the World did at it's peak. Drivers are not only instant legends but get a chance at a NASCAR ride when they win The Chili Bowl. Just ask Billy Boat, Donnie Beechler, Tim McCreadie and Rico Abreu. Actually Boat and Beechler got Indy Car rides as a result of winning The Chili Bowl.

Cardirt0
09-09-2016, 03:31 PM
I know it is Gary, but that's the best I could do on short notice! LOL!!
Huh?

Not positive, but I think 262 is just a bit high but we'll go with that anyway. That means The Chili Bowl draws over 80 more cars (344) than the World did at it's peak. Drivers are not only instant legends but get a chance at a NASCAR ride when they win The Chili Bowl. Just ask Billy Boat, Donnie Beechler, Tim McCreadie and Rico Abreu. Actually Boat and Beechler got Indy Car rides as a result of winning The Chili Bowl.

This is how i see it The World is the Biggest late model race ..And the Chili Bowl is the Biggest Midget race ,,,,,,Apple and Oranges.. Chili Bowl Has a LOT more drivers Becoming Big time For shour...

CIRF
09-10-2016, 10:41 AM
This is how i see it The World is the Biggest late model race ..And the Chili Bowl is the Biggest Midget race ,,,,,,Apple and Oranges.. Chili Bowl Has a LOT more drivers Becoming Big time For shour...I see it the same way, Gary. I've been to both on numerous occasions. In fact, 23 World's dating back to the mid 1980's and The Chili Bowl 5 times dating back to the mid 1990's. They both contain nuances that make winning and just getting into the final a feat unto itself. Running good and/or winning The Chili Bowl seems to afford drivers more exposure than the World. The big name drivers from NASCAR and Indy Car racing that show up to compete in Tulsa and the live national TV coverage has somewhat separated the Chili Bowl from some of the other high profile dirt track races.

None of that matters this weekend!! Eldora is the place to be on the weekend following Labor Day if you're a late model driver or fan and I doubt that will ever change!

latemodelman
09-10-2016, 11:22 AM
I have been going to the World 100 since 2005 and the Baltes Classic since it was the Appleseed since 1995. Anyway this is the 2nd year I have missed a world 100 or Dream and I live 40 minutes from the track in Troy, Ohio. I think there is more quality cars there than ever. You don't see the Florence and Oakshade and Michigan cars there like you used to. A lot of it is the 3 day format. Also the amount it costs to enter a car. The best thing would have been to waive entry fees and really make this race a one day Saturday show and make everyone run 40's on their cars. Might see a big surprise in car counts.

old fan
09-10-2016, 12:05 PM
I know it is Gary, but that's the best I could do on short notice! LOL!!Huh?Not positive, but I think 262 is just a bit high but we'll go with that anyway. That means The Chili Bowl draws over 80 more cars (344) than the World did at it's peak. Drivers are not only instant legends but get a chance at a NASCAR ride when they win The Chili Bowl. Just ask Billy Boat, Donnie Beechler, Tim McCreadie and Rico Abreu. Actually Boat and Beechler got Indy Car rides as a result of winning The Chili Bowl.Tru that chilli bowl in September ,most late model guys are happy where they are at less bull (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)

CIRF
09-10-2016, 12:23 PM
Tru that chilli bowl in September ,most late model guys are happy where they are at less bull (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)

Doesn't matter when it's run, it's still the biggest!! And you've still got $hit for brains! LOL!!!

LITEY'S LATEST CRANIAL X-RAY!! EVERYTHING IS STILL IN PLACE!! LOL!!

I'm sure the vast majority of late model drivers, if asked, would say they'd flatly turn down an offer of a Hendrick Motor Sports Cup ride, said no one ever!! LOL!!

Less bull$hit and a lot less financial security and fame.

TerryM
09-10-2016, 12:37 PM
In my opinion, that's the three best drivers in the history of dirt late model racing.

Clayton_Wetter
09-10-2016, 02:23 PM
No I didn't. I only pointed out that there were several races that had been around much longer, the Allen Crowe Memorial 100 being one of them.

Again, refer to your X-ray above to attempt to understand what your malfunction is, litey.

Dang!! And it looks like an inoperable case too!!!! It's all down hill now for poor Litey!! :)

CIRF
09-10-2016, 02:34 PM
In my opinion, that's the three best drivers in the history of dirt late model racing.No plausible argument can be made against those 3. I would only throw Jeff Purvis in as a driver that might would displace one of those guys. I know it's if's and but's, however, Purvis ended his late model career to go NASCAR racing, otherwise barring injury he'd have been right in the mix of your top 3. He was very young when he headed for NASCAR. No telling how many World Hundred's he'd have won. He had a good start when he headed South.

To this day Purvis is the best I've ever seen in a dirt late model and we've seen Moyer, Bloomy and Moran dozens of times over the years.

Cardirt0
09-10-2016, 02:36 PM
Dang!! And it looks like an inoperable case too!!!! It's all down hill now for poor Litey!! :)

Down Hill,,, He digging a Hole.. and hes Hit water.. He can hope someone pushes the dirt back on top of him... ;-)