PDA

View Full Version : Inger condition

raburke23
09-10-2016, 07:47 PM
Anyone have an update???

shagger
09-10-2016, 08:33 PM
Anyone have an update???I seen what was going on right in front of me. We all need to pray!!

gilbert3414bretz
09-10-2016, 08:46 PM
? Heard it wasn't good but I don't wanna repeat anything that isn't confirmed.

zyoung25
09-10-2016, 09:02 PM
The word going around the pit area is.....he didn't make it.

Thoughts go to his family....so sad.

Biplane
09-10-2016, 09:05 PM
Wow that is terrible. We were watching on pay per view and they didnt show the wreck. The car didn't look THAT bad. Wonder what happened?

GRT24
So sad to hear. Prayers to his family and everyone involved. What happened?

Centeroff
Oh no. God bless him and his family!

racer17
09-10-2016, 09:06 PM
I got a call from one of the car owners sons shortly fater it happened and he told me he didn't make it

JustAddDirt
09-10-2016, 09:07 PM
Drivers door hit real hard on outside wall. Didn't look like he had a full containment seat.
Prayers to Unger family.

zeroracing
09-10-2016, 10:45 PM
Justadddirt, the pictures I seen had no window net, and no containment seat of any type. His lap times on race monitor were in the 20 second range, and it happened I guess off a restart?

What I am getting at is one a left side hit like this you don't have to be going JD or bloomer fast for it too get bad quickly. At our local track a b mod had a bad crash similar a few years back the guy was taken to the hospital but recovered.

It is a terrible tragedy and a big wake up call that everybody should have a containment seat and window net. I am guilty of the no net. I also think adding door foam of some type to the drivers side door would help. A left side door into wall hit is extremely rare, but we have little to no crush zone on the cars (mods and streets the same).

I pray for his family, hope this reminds us all of how you must have good equipment like a seat, net, etc... I have been guilty of thinking I don't need a window net, will be buying a good SFI one and mounting it this off season.

RIP.

TerryM
09-10-2016, 10:58 PM
Had a prior commitment and didn't get to see the race or get any updates, so just seeing this heartbreaking news. My prayers and condolences are sent.

raburke23
09-11-2016, 07:57 AM
I knew the crash was bad, but was shocked at the reaction of the first safety worker and then how long it took the ambulance to get to the scene. There was no urgency right away. I saw the hit and knew it was bad. Anyone else feel that way?

JustAddDirt
09-11-2016, 08:33 AM
Yes, I just caught the end of the wreck, and I knew it was bad by the sound Sound and angle of the hit. Cannot help but think that the sun may have played a bit into that accident. It went from overcast, to full on sun in your face. Driver probably did not have any sunglasses, or any sun visors in place. It was difficult to see the cars on the track in that area.
I have raced at the big e in those conditions and it is difficult to see .
Horrible that it happened.

raburke23
09-11-2016, 08:50 AM
He was down low, got squeezed into the low side wall and shot up the track head on into the wall. When the left front hit the wall it whipped the car around and the drivers side hit the wall

MotoMatt
09-11-2016, 09:00 AM
Wow, what a tragedy. All we can do is hope his family is taken care of, and hopefully something good can come from this in the form of ENFORCED MANDATORY SAFETY EQUIPMENT. Have it or don't race.

I don't know how many times I have watched drivers run with no gloves, crap seats, etc. and even though there are rules in place they aren't being enforced. They have got to be. I am a believer that all the cars need a window net, just my opinion, full containment seat and head/neck restraint won't prevent something coming in the car during a crash. We lost a guy at our track a long time ago because in an odd crash a tire came in the window far enough and broke his neck, it can happen, so we need to prevent it.

MEE
09-11-2016, 09:01 AM
Prayers to his family and friends. So sad.

cjp0354
09-11-2016, 12:14 PM
This crash happened right in front of me. When the car slapped the wall I said man that was not a good hit. But when the crew worker got there, I thought he was ok. Even when they were cutting the roof off, I thought they were just being cautious. But when I saw them doing cpr. I knew it was bad news.

From pictures I have seen of him in the car. He appears to be really low in the car, which would put his head really close the door bars. Add in the fact of no head and neck restraint and no containment seat. That concrete wall is hard on your neck and head no matter how fast your going.

I wouldn't be surprised to see eldora put in some sort of soft wall. They have the room in the turns to move the wall back.

Prayers to his family in this difficult time.

Cardirt0
09-11-2016, 12:25 PM
Soft walls Big E may have the money a small track will not have the Money . Big E just to do the turns 300000 to 400000 Bucks and I am most likely low not high on that...neck restraint and containment seat, and window net .. is a must have I think..There is a good chance that they would of saved his life....
add
I take that back it cost 2Mill do do the rest of the track at the track for the first race of the year In NASCAR.. 1/3 mile of wall is what they did....too do the turns at BIG E you would need 1000 feet of Soft wall..700000 to a 1mil too move the wall back would cost at lease 300000 bucks if not more...

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-11-2016, 12:29 PM
Roger Slack told USA Today that Unger had a HANS.

Cardirt0
09-11-2016, 01:28 PM
Roger Slack told USA Today that Unger had a HANS.

Means he had to hurt his Head and not his neck.. The hans would help keep his neck and head in line but the seat my have let his head hit the wall. or a inside bar..

zyoung25
09-11-2016, 01:34 PM
It was said later in the night that he did have one on. It was also said that it had broke. You hear so many things, some true, some not, I also heard some things that I won't post on here, cuz I don't think it's right to do. What few times I seen this guy race, he was the first one in his drivers suit everytime, and was ready to go.

It's just a bad deal all the way around. Ive seen pics of him and his little girl on facebook, that just makes it worse.

Godspeed #79

play4kps
09-11-2016, 01:49 PM
I know its heartbreaking! He loved racing, he knew he was not going to win! chasing a dream! Rest in peace buddy!

raburke23
09-12-2016, 08:39 AM
Knew he wasnt gonna win, out there living a dream, having fun with family. Oh and BTW, the first car at Eldora for the World. Seems a bit more meaningful now...

ptown
09-12-2016, 10:53 AM
Knew he wasnt gonna win, out there living a dream, having fun with family. Oh and BTW, the first car at Eldora for the World. Seems a bit more meaningful now...

How do you know this? You were so anxious to make a post Saturday you didn't even know enough about the guy to spell his name correctly.

raburke23
09-12-2016, 03:21 PM
How do I know what? His own family has said he was out there having fun, knowing he wasn't going to win. I've seen the guy race a mod for a couple years and he recently got into a late model deal.
How do I know he was the first car there? Eldora website had a picture of it with the #1 decal.

And the spelling of his name wasn't correct due to autocorrect on my phone at the track.
The guy has always had his name spelled under his # extremely large with a small doughboy logo. You would have to be an IDIOT to not know how to spell his name. But you just want to come on here with your "edited" post 3 days later and be an a$$