PDA

View Full Version : Engine placement question...

Krooser
09-11-2016, 12:48 AM
OK so I got back to rebuilding my old Mastersbilt after several months of just staring at it and I have a couple questions regarding the engine placement.

2016 rules for iron heads/block allow me to move the engine back from it's present spot @ 25 1/2" motor plate to lower BJ. I can move it back to 29 1/2" ... pretty standard stuff. But I also have an oil pan clearance issue with the steering shaft... I have to move the engine right about 2" and/or raise it about 2". Or install a 3rd steering shaft u-joint and move the shaft. I'm running a wet sump system and it was dry sump in it's previous life.

Does it pay for me to move the engine back 4" for next season knowing WISSOTA rules will make me move it back in 2018? My local weekly track isn't going to change (they run some hybrid rules and will stay at 29 1/2" in 2018 AFAIK) but I'd like to make a couple late season specials and maybe a few trips to WISSOTA-land during the regular season. What will that move forward/back do to my weight % percentages? I have an idea my fat butt will keep my %'s right and may make up for keeping the engine further forward.

What about raising the engine two inches? Any real advantage?

I realize I'm unlikely to kick so much ass that anyone will really worry about where the hell my motor is in the car but there's always that one inspector who takes his job waaaay too seriously.

Thanks....

Stede Bonnet
09-11-2016, 02:30 PM
Are you running leafs? If you are or old style 4 link(in front) then raising and moving back will help you a ton. I helped a guy 2 years ago in Australia win the super sedan title running leafs, he ran 2nd the next year due to blowing his only engine leading points with 2 races remaining. We also raised fuel cell up 2 inches. He was running against 4 bar hike ups and swing arms too. Getting the engine back really helps the older style cars.

Krooser
09-11-2016, 04:31 PM
Stede... This WAS a leaf car when new ('96) but was changed over a few years later to four bar.

I'm kinda in your camp... move it back and up will only help. The headers I have won't fit on the left side unless I DO move the motor back two inches. The engine and headers came out of an older Cobra modified... surprisingly the right side only needs a quick tap with a hammer to fit.

Stede Bonnet
09-21-2016, 03:44 PM
So are you going back leafs? Or are you running 4 bar? If 4 bar, hike up or old school?