PDA

View Full Version : Rear end and Tire Drapes????

BloomerHarvickFan
09-15-2016, 01:58 PM
Do drivers still use the rear end and tire drapes like they used to? I don't recall seeing any at the last couple Lucas Oil Races that I've been to. It seems that back in the 90's everyone had the rear of their car and at least the rear tires, and in some cases all four draped.

MRM
09-15-2016, 02:06 PM
I don't think Lucas allows those any more.

GRT24
09-15-2016, 02:41 PM
Lucas doesn't allow them. They used them up until the year before last maybe. I'm not sure but it's been a recent change.

Necrosis
09-15-2016, 02:57 PM
Many people still use them. The may be outlawed, but they're still prevalent. Heck, Davenport had one rolling up to tech at Eldora, when we were specifically told they weren't allowed out of the pit stall.

GRT24
09-15-2016, 03:00 PM
Many people still use them. The may be outlawed, but they're still prevalent. Heck, Davenport had one rolling up to tech at Eldora, when we were specifically told they weren't allowed out of the pit stall.

Did UMP/WoO adopt the same rule as Lucas?

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-15-2016, 03:05 PM
Did UMP/WoO adopt the same rule as Lucas?

Lucas allows in pit stall. I have seen conflicting actions at Eldora.

GRT24
09-15-2016, 03:11 PM
Lucas allows in pit stall. I have seen conflicting actions at Eldora.

I was getting confused. I forgot they can have a rear cover but no wheel covers and rear cover must be removed prior to leaving the pit stall.

zyoung25
09-15-2016, 05:39 PM
It may have been here where I seen it. Someome said years ago Davey Johnson had one he would throw over the back right after races. One night it fell off and it took 3 guys to pick it up from all the weight that been sewn in it.

I must admit, that's pretty dang smart.

Centeroff
09-15-2016, 05:54 PM
They are using a heavy grade foam to cover wheel wells and tires. Most of the covering up underneath a racecar is a headgame. If you have a different brand of chassis why would it matter what bar is where? Also with the tire rules the way they are, it's not like they are being super secretive in a compound. Maybe the way they cut and sipe I guess??

old fan
09-15-2016, 06:02 PM
No siping and cutting this past weekend

Doc88D
09-15-2016, 07:13 PM
The tire covers are more to keep the sunlight from heating up the tires during the day. Lucas will let you use them until qualifying starts. After that no covers are allowed... WoO & UMP has no rule about them yet...

BloomerHarvickFan
09-15-2016, 08:53 PM
I remember back in the HAT days, Bloomquist would come out of the pits for the feature with the rear drape still on, and his crew would put the tire drapes back on until time to roll off the grid.

formercrewguy
09-16-2016, 10:34 AM
The tire covers are more sunlight from heating up the tires during the day. Lucas will let you use them until qualifying starts. After that no covers are allowed... WoO & UMP has no rule about them yet...

Bingo!! That's the reason.

BTExpress
09-16-2016, 10:47 AM
I went to an Ultimate Series race in June at Georgetown Speedway (De) and noticed many of the cars had rear covers even after the races were over. I chuckled to myself and thought that was odd. I am used to sprint cars where anyone can walk up to any sprint car in the pits, before and after the races, including a WoO race, and inspect any part and/or piece of any car, including Donny Schatz's. They seem to have nothing to hide.........?????

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-16-2016, 10:57 AM
I went to an Ultimate Series race in June at Georgetown Speedway (De) and noticed many of the cars had rear covers even after the races were over. I chuckled to myself and thought that was odd. I am used to sprint cars where anyone can walk up to any sprint car in the pits, before and after the races, including a WoO race, and inspect any part and/or piece of any car, including Donny Schatz's. They seem to have nothing to hide.........?????

They don't have anything to hide, nor could you hide it well.

Stede Bonnet
09-16-2016, 02:39 PM
Do drivers still use the rear end and tire drapes like they used to? I don't recall seeing any at the last couple Lucas Oil Races that I've been to. It seems that back in the 90's everyone had the rear of their car and at least the rear tires, and in some cases all four draped.

Lucas & WoO outlawed those, supposedly to enhance the fan experience. B0llocks if you ask me, too many in charge these days that don't understand racing. I always kinda liked the mystery of it and the additional sponsorship display opportunity.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-16-2016, 02:48 PM
Lucas & WoO outlawed those, supposedly to enhance the fan experience. B0llocks if you ask me, too many in charge these days that don't understand racing. I always kinda liked the mystery of it and the additional sponsorship display opportunity.

Now that the rules are cookie-cutter, I guess they figure teams can police each other if they can see under the cars. LOL

BloomerHarvickFan
09-16-2016, 07:44 PM

When I was a teenager, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Most were not doing it, but the "big guys" were. It was sort of mysterious, like you said.

Highside Hustler25
09-16-2016, 08:00 PM

I remember this rule being made last year. I know WoO does not enforce it. Seen it numerous times this year. Most guys use the big foam pads to cover the wheels. I think most guys have gotten away from the rear drapes. Almost everyone now backs into their pit.

Centeroff
09-17-2016, 02:22 PM
The superman of cushion humping has been known to make his way onto the track with a fukn cape on the car. Most ridiculous chit I have ever seen. When you cross a young JD with a young Rumley.. That's what you get!

a25rjr
09-17-2016, 02:24 PM
The superman of cushion humping has been known to make his way onto the track with a fukn cape on the car. Most ridiculous chit I have ever seen. When you cross a young JD with a young Rumley.. That's what you get!

Somehow, that cape got ripped apart.....this year!

Stede Bonnet
09-18-2016, 03:52 PM
...Most ridiculous chit I have ever seen...I guess you haven't seen much and miss wildly when attempting to be funny. Millennial I'm guessing.

Centeroff
09-18-2016, 09:00 PM
Stede, what do you see that isn't absolutely ridiculous about that superman cape? He isn't superman!! Gonna buy Scott a huge piece of Cryptonite to pull around behind his car as he pulls into the track. JD is a dying entity. The edge of 2015 is gone my friend! Wake up and join the real world. Your boss doesn't care what you did yesterday! He cares what your gonna do tomorrow! Bank it

plunks7
09-18-2016, 09:16 PM
No siping and cutting this past weekend

Yes there was. We had to wait for hoosier to get their. Then we got 2 New Tires and the work began.

Centeroff
09-18-2016, 09:17 PM
Plunks, you work for a race team?