PDA

View Full Version : What is the craziest/strangest new setup running now?

Dirtmod13
09-15-2016, 07:42 PM
Have seen some weird stuff lately. Seems like they are going in different directions now.

Dirtmod13
09-17-2016, 10:40 AM
Oh I believe it. When lookin at 3 guys new setups they are all over the map. Not like a few years ago.

fastford
09-17-2016, 01:05 PM
there is a lot of new variables on the late models of to day, there fore you can try a lot of different combos , hoping you hit on something that nobody else is on . I love it, i think it puts a little ingenuity back in it instead of cookie cutter cars, JMO

keeks
09-17-2016, 02:23 PM
I'm running a crazy setup on my Masters that is so far out in left field I can't get through the centre and off. If anyone wants details on how to run mid pack or worse, send me a PM. I can hook you up.

billetbirdcage
09-17-2016, 02:27 PM
Want a really tight car? move the LRL bar front mounting point from the front of the frame and put it behind the axle. All index, all the hike, but almost no steer. It won't turn in a 40 acre field, lol.

Kwoods25
09-17-2016, 03:35 PM
We are on a weid LR rightnow, and some crazy RF stuff. Working on some new 4bar stuff for RR as we speak

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-17-2016, 04:27 PM
We are on a weid LR rightnow, and some crazy RF stuff. Working on some new 4bar stuff for RR as we speak
I hear UMP might let some stuff go on the lr...

billetbirdcage
09-17-2016, 04:45 PM
I hear UMP might let some stuff go on the lr...

You'd have to be some kind of "Joker" to try and get away with something like that, because Lucas won't allow that funny business.

Kwoods25
09-17-2016, 08:10 PM
We don't run Lucas or ump

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-18-2016, 09:26 AM
We don't run Lucas or ump

Hard to find a sanction that didn't go all in on Rumley Rules. If you got one, my hats off to them. Now ability to enforce, or guts to enforce when a popular guy wins, is another story entirely.

Matt49
09-18-2016, 12:08 PM
Here's my take. You can look at one corner of somebody's car and you might see something goofy. If they are fast, you can almost bet your paycheck that they are doing a lot of other things (subtle things) on all other corners to get that to work. If you don't know their scale numbers, ballast placement, and spring rates, that goofy thing you are looking at is nothing more than a novelty item if you put it on your car.

Dirtmod13
09-18-2016, 06:53 PM
Well after hearing of a guy running a 300# RR spring I was wondering how they could get enough LR dynamic wedge to counter that spring. Are they going real soft on the left front? Also when you watch the Lucas guys enter a corner on the gas the are very tight. A lot of them jumping the cushion due to a massive push. And that's before getting up on the LR bars.

toyracer
09-19-2016, 04:23 PM
Somebody taught me the KISS method years ago & it still holds true today. Don't try & re invent the wheel.

There is no secret set up that will take you from zero to hero. It takes hard work, practice, skill & sometimes luck to be good in a late model.

Oh yes forgot can take a pile of money as well

Dirtmod13
09-19-2016, 05:39 PM
Somebody taught me the KISS method years ago & it still holds true today. Don't try & re invent the wheel.There is no secret set up that will take you from zero to hero. It takes hard work, practice, skill & sometimes luck to be good in a late model.Oh yes forgot can take a pile of money as wellKeeping it simple is for the occasional or weekend racer. I can guarantee you the touring guys are far from simple setups. Have you raced against Richards or clanton lately? They can't be touched with a simple setup.

toyracer
09-19-2016, 06:57 PM
Remember that last part pocket full of money. Not everyone is running Roush Yates Motor from Andy Durham.

Richards & Bloomer do.

Magic set up won't make an average driver great but a great driver can make an average car better.

What's behind the wheel is very important as well. Driver must be able to take what he feels in the car & make changes that work on the track.

I don't think you get what the house drivers get anyway.

Tell me who is winning with a Pierce car other than Bobby.

money17
09-19-2016, 10:54 PM
I blame bloomer for starting the process by cars going up. Then rousch yates with motors. Then nascar with the money and the engineering. Hav a tampa days a car show for good money could have a 100 car plus show up. Coin toss on the winner. Not know. Its that 1% that are on top and regional racers can hardly even run with them. I think supers could price there selves out like nascar is doing. Just a thought.

toyracer
09-20-2016, 05:14 AM
I agree with you Money17.
I think it was Tony Stewart who said if NASCAR keeps allowing all this technology it will become just like Formula 1. I think he was right.

Dirt is going the same way but how do you stop it?

old fan
09-20-2016, 06:22 AM
Rules will stop anything

Dirtmod13
09-20-2016, 06:59 AM
So marlar has half a million in his team, has a pull down rig, has data acquisition?Doubt it. But he does have a motor and a setup that made his car hook up better than anyone else last race. So he's running a simple old school setup? Not a chance. But I'm sure he's got some crazy shocks, dual/lockout springs with a bump stop/bump spring in one or more corners. This was my question. Not why it's so expensive. Geez, this isn't the gossip section.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-20-2016, 07:29 AM
So marlar has half a million in his team, has a pull down rig, has data acquisition?Doubt it. But he does have a motor and a setup that made his car hook up better than anyone else last race. So he's running a simple old school setup? Not a chance. But I'm sure he's got some crazy shocks, dual/lockout springs with a bump stop/bump spring in one or more corners. This was my question. Not why it's so expensive. Geez, this isn't the gossip section.

Bump stops and bump springs are normal these days. Marlar had enough gas, enough power, and a balanced car. Way more balanced than Zero, actually.

Matt49
09-20-2016, 09:39 AM
As soon as some of the idiots from the gossip section get into one of these threads it is poisoned.
More rules = more money. And that period at the end of that sentence couldn't be big enough.
Yes Mike Marlar has good equipment and working with Capital has helped him. But I'll say this: That guy is a really really good driver. Probably the most underrated dirt late model driver today.

toyracer
09-20-2016, 09:05 PM
I dont believe in the monkey see monkey do way of doing things. It doesn't always take the latest & greatest stuff to win races. It does take a certain skill level & competence behind the wheel & making adjustments.

The questioned was what is some of the crazy stuff being done.

My point is if Mark Richards or Bloomer could say we run our shocks on a special horizontal mount & you can only get it from me for 1k a lot of people would buy hoping they can catch lighting in a bottle.

Dont get caught listening to all the special set ups. Do your homework & see what works best for your car & driving style.

Matt49
09-20-2016, 09:21 PM
Toyracer, I don't disagree with your logic at all. But the truth of the matter is that there are some setups that are bad fast that people simply are not sharing in places like this. Somebody might throw you a bone but that's about it. Refer to my first post on this thread. The problem for people that don't understand the big picture is that one major adjustment on one corner of a car has a huge impact on the other 3 corners. You have to know how to compensate and get your balance back. You can change dynamics and achieve the same balance but it takes time. We had some stuff last week that really worked but learned that it was REALLY hard on right side tires and didn't last past 10 or 12 laps...Hmmm....guess what we did this week to bring the balance back?
If you finish a race and RF, RR, and LR tire temps are within 10 degrees...you had a REALLY good car.
I digress...

a25rjr
09-20-2016, 09:41 PM
Toyracer, I don't disagree with your logic at all. But the truth of the matter is that there are some setups that are bad fast that people simply are not sharing in places like this. Somebody might throw you a bone but that's about it. Refer to my first post on this thread. The problem for people that don't understand the big picture is that one major adjustment on one corner of a car has a huge impact on the other 3 corners. You have to know how to compensate and get your balance back. You can change dynamics and achieve the same balance but it takes time. We had some stuff last week that really worked but learned that it was REALLY hard on right side tires and didn't last past 10 or 12 laps...Hmmm....guess what we did this week to bring the balance back?
If you finish a race and RF, RR, and LR tire temps are within 10 degrees...you had a REALLY good car.
I digress...

Good post......I have never bought into the 1 adj at a time. It usually takes 2 or more to get the balance back.

old fan
09-20-2016, 09:57 PM
a25rjr you never got your balance back since the time you fell down the stairs

a25rjr
09-20-2016, 10:26 PM
a25rjr you never got your balance back since the time you fell down the stairs

....so says Mr. Sidewalk! ^^^^^^^^

old fan
09-20-2016, 10:38 PM
who says I HIT THE SIDEWALK and prove that I DID

stevensracing_6
03-10-2017, 12:00 AM
I think the thing that allows those big guys to make all those insane set ups work is the fact that they race and race and race some more way more than me or you ever will in one year and they can test that stuff

Krooser
03-10-2017, 01:35 PM
I'm adapting a Rumley device to run on the RF...

LeafMaster41
03-15-2017, 07:26 AM
...They can't be touched with a simple setup.

Have you tried or are you just guessing?