PDA

View Full Version : Lift bar

KAbels06
10-04-2016, 09:15 PM
Can someone explain to me what the purpose of the stabilizer bar that goes from the lift bar to the frame is for? Back in the 70s when my dad raced they didn't have all this "technical crap" as he calls it and doesn't seem to understand why it's there... and frankly neither do i.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-04-2016, 09:41 PM
Can someone explain to me what the purpose of the stabilizer bar that goes from the lift bar to the frame is for? Back in the 70s when my dad raced they didn't have all this "technical crap" as he calls it and doesn't seem to understand why it's there... and frankly neither do i.

You have to stabilize it to the rear end or the frame. If neither, any angle in the coilover will cause the lift bar to move right or left depending on angle. They used to all be braced to the rr axle tube. Once the 4 link got popular, folks started bracing to the frame to try and keep the angle change to a minimum from the lr wheel walking forward. That causes the end of the lift bar to move to the right.

Stede Bonnet
10-04-2016, 11:38 PM

Thats probably the least technical piece on the whole suspension... It keeps the 5th arm from getting in the driveshaft or wandering around under load. Like MBR said, you either support it to the frame with a link or to the rear axle. This is how its been done since I first climbed under one back in 86'.

KAbels06
10-05-2016, 09:25 AM
You have to stabilize it to the rear end or the frame. If neither, any angle in the coilover will cause the lift bar to move right or left depending on angle. They used to all be braced to the rr axle tube. Once the 4 link got popular, folks started bracing to the frame to try and keep the angle change to a minimum from the lr wheel walking forward. That causes the end of the lift bar to move to the right.So should their be a hime or something coming from lift bar to mounting point on rear end? When the car got hit hard from the back the other night it broke all this off. Seems like that little flat plate connecting the two takes a lot of stress in moon back and fourth, or ours was week, or not correct lift bar.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-06-2016, 12:52 AM
So should their be a hime or something coming from lift bar to mounting point on rear end? When the car got hit hard from the back the other night it broke all this off. Seems like that little flat plate connecting the two takes a lot of stress in moon back and fourth, or ours was week, or not correct lift bar.
If braced to axle, heims are not necessary. But usually they have them so you can adjust how close the lift bar is to the driveshaft.