PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts.

HoosierDirtFan
10-07-2016, 09:58 AM
I know this is 4m and mostly a late mode page and a lot of us pay attention to the modifieds as well.... But was wondering anyone's thoughts of if the Midwest could support an East Coast Big Block Modified style of car (even if it where just Small Block, 358, Crate, or some other engine type) might be a step between IMCA / UMP Modifieds and Late Models / Sprints.. Was thinking maybe if the rules could be tweeked a bit it may get some IMCA / UMP Late Model drivers off the couch and out of the barn if they had a different place to drop an engine into that would be different.

I've got a couple of tracks in mind that I'd love to see these cars run at:
Brownstown, IN
Fairbury, IL
Terre Haute, IN
Tri-City, IL
Hartford, MI
Florence, KY
Knoxville, IA
Wheatland, MO
ect...

Hoosier_Dirt
10-07-2016, 10:06 AM
Id like to see the ump/imca modifieds with late model tires on em.

TheJet-09
10-07-2016, 10:27 AM
I got to see the Big Block Modifieds a couple of times at Volusia, around 2000 or so. They were neat because of the novelty aspect, and I had never seen them in person being from the Midwest. But in the end I felt like the racing paled in comparison to Late Models. They're competitive among themselves, but just not fast/quick enough for me.

over4T
10-07-2016, 01:44 PM
Couple of decades ago Doug Fort,promoter of Santa Maria Speedway (CA), and Pete Van Iderstine, a transplanted New Jersey speed shop owner, tried to bring them to California. I was all for it because, like others have said, I only got to see them in Florida or the rare trip to the New York area. California is overloaded with Sprint cars, in my opinion, and I thought they would be great out here and we wanted to try them. The experiment lasted a few years and they never could get more than half a dozen or so and got dropped. I think they'll always be just an east coast thing.

MI Dirt Fan
10-07-2016, 01:56 PM
I know this is 4m and mostly a late mode page and a lot of us pay attention to the modifieds as well.... But was wondering anyone's thoughts of if the Midwest could support an East Coast Big Block Modified style of car (even if it where just Small Block, 358, Crate, or some other engine type) might be a step between IMCA / UMP Modifieds and Late Models / Sprints.. Was thinking maybe if the rules could be tweeked a bit it may get some IMCA / UMP Late Model drivers off the couch and out of the barn if they had a different place to drop an engine into that would be different.

I've got a couple of tracks in mind that I'd love to see these cars run at:
Brownstown, IN
Fairbury, IL
Terre Haute, IN
Tri-City, IL
Hartford, MI
Florence, KY
Knoxville, IA
Wheatland, MO
ect...
I96 had a show/tour or two and drew about 20-24 cars just a few yrs ago. Not bad because the night before or the night after they had another event back in P.A area.

Zero2Hero
10-07-2016, 02:32 PM
They are fun to watch and would like to check one out sometime but the thing is though... Why would you need another class? Here in IA and surrounding states you have plenty of options to run something. Just another class to get out of control in the $$$ category.

muddy mike
10-07-2016, 02:38 PM
St.Louis area had AARA mods in 80s were very cool and close to the east coast mods some were more like lates with open wheel front end and some were more like east coast. drivers like Ed Dixon, Mike Hammerle, Bo Smith, Kevin Gundaker even Kenny Schrader and Mike Wallace had one. they raced at Belle Clair, I-55, St.Charles, Godfrey, Highland, Tri-City

Krooser
10-07-2016, 02:45 PM
They ran big block mods in the Saint Louis area for years..... I believe they got too expensive and car counts dwindled...

Don Klein dominated for years with a big block FE Ford.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/krooser/Don%20Klein_zpsiwxwjpla.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/krooser/media/Don%20Klein_zpsiwxwjpla.jpg.html)

old fan
10-07-2016, 08:03 PM
no UMP came and took over eventually all tracks went UMP what hurt the car counts were varierty of rules from track to track

old fan
10-07-2016, 08:05 PM
many of those cars are running in farmington mo this weekend

old fan
10-07-2016, 09:02 PM
http://gatewayvintageracingassociation.com/