PDA

View Full Version : Steering ratio....

Krooser
10-15-2016, 06:10 AM
I have a 3.4 Appleton rack on my Mastersbilt. What ratio rack would I need to change to to really feel the difference?

My car is set-up up for a larger diameter steering wheel... I believe it's a 15". I prefer a larger wheel than the feel of those go-kart wheels that are installed to lay on the drivers lap (or, in my case, beer belly)....

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-15-2016, 10:47 AM
What are you trying to accomplish?

Krooser
10-15-2016, 01:36 PM
Not sure... just trying to learn about ratios I guess and how much I'll gain or lose with a particular rack.

I spoke to Ed Bertram from the old MB dealer who sold this car when it was new and he said the 3.4 was pretty much std. back then. Today other ratio's seem to be more in favor and I guess I'm just trying to get as much info as I can.

When I did that Kenny Wallace Dirt Driving deal last month I noticed the wheel in that mod looked like it came off the winning car from the big Soap Box Derby race in Akron.

billetbirdcage
10-15-2016, 02:42 PM
Not sure... just trying to learn about ratios I guess and how much I'll gain or lose with a particular rack.

I spoke to Ed Bertram from the old MB dealer who sold this car when it was new and he said the 3.4 was pretty much std. back then. Today other ratio's seem to be more in favor and I guess I'm just trying to get as much info as I can.

When I did that Kenny Wallace Dirt Driving deal last month I noticed the wheel in that mod looked like it came off the winning car from the big Soap Box Derby race in Akron.

The number basically means how many inches the shaft moves side to side per one turn so: A 3.4 will move the shaft 3.4" for one full turn of the wheel.

3.5 is probably the lowest anyone would use anymore and probably only if they has short steering arms on the spindles (like 4.5" or shorter steering arms). Most are in the 4.0 to 4.4 range now a days if that helps.

Going from a 3.4 to a 4.1 is enough that many will sort of look like a sprint car the first few times they drive it with the front wheels dancing left to right. But once you get used to it most like the faster ratios.

Lizardracing
10-15-2016, 02:46 PM
While not the same thing as a modified like my car. I like a smaller wheel because I move my hands less. I tend to drive the car pretty straight and limit my hand movements nor do I like the death grip on the wheel so I tend to kinda cradle the wheel in my hands and make small movements using mostly my wrists. That is, when the car it working right. A bigger wheel makes me use my arms and shoulders and I don't have the same fine muscle control as I do in my wrists.