PDA

View Full Version : Harder compund, or softer compund tire in the glazed slick??

dirtplay18
10-21-2016, 09:53 AM
I'm sure the answer may be obvious to some, but wondering if anyone has experimented much with this? I know a softer tire would wear faster, but wouldn't a harder tire have more of a tendency to glaze. or seal off? I'm not talking about a track that's taking rubber, I'm talking glazed slick. I currently have a mix of hoosier softs and American racer ROD's. Any opinions would be great, thx guys!

JustAddDirt
10-21-2016, 11:51 AM
I would go hard.
you are racing on top of the track and not in it.
you will overheat, and burn edges off the softer compound tire. not to mention more than likely over heat it.
With the correct grooving and siping pattern you will be much faster with the hard compound tire.

JMO though

nathan12
10-24-2016, 11:54 AM
what kind of siping grooving pattern would you recommend?

Team EERC
12-03-2016, 01:44 AM
biggest factor is driving style if you keep the car straight you can stay soft longer than some without hurting them, the issue with soft tires is generally not glazing they just get to hot and the solvents / oil escape to quickly and make them greasy. if you can keep temps reasonable by not blowing them off and keeping the car fairly straight I like to stay soft.