PDA

View Full Version : Engine diagnosis ??

sidewinder69
10-22-2016, 01:49 AM
Engine started stumbling in center of corner then next lap later it stumbles and died.... Only issue is now no oil pressure when spinning over. Need help what to do

SRXSRULE
10-22-2016, 08:25 PM
So does the engine start? I'm guessing no? The first thing I would do is just remove the Dist cap and see if the rotor is turning. If its not, pull it out and make sure the shaft didnt break, roll pin on gear didnt shear, or the teeth on the the dist gear didnt shear off. Also take a look at the cam gear, and oil pump drive shaft, make sure nothing broke.
The next step would be do drop in an engine oil primer and run the pump to see if its pumping or feels normal. If it is pumping see if your getting any oil flow. Maybe check for a stuck oil pressure relief valve (if the oil filter adapter isnt plugged for zero by-pass), a failed oil filter can cause this too.

Several other things to check, but this is a good start. What engine are we talking about? Eric

sidewinder69
10-23-2016, 09:06 PM
This is a wet sump 358. Distributor and pump rod checks out. Plugs okay too

usafracer
10-24-2016, 01:50 AM
Sounds like the cam gear is gone.

sidewinder69
10-24-2016, 11:48 AM
rotor button spins though so i was thinking cam gear is fine

powerslide
10-26-2016, 09:34 AM
Sometimes it shears the pin in the dist. When cranking it will turn but when starting it has enough force to not spin. Did you pull the dist or just see if the rotor is spinning? No oil pressure wouldn't cause the motor to shut off unless you have a low oil pressure shut off wired in somehow.