PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade At Fairbury American Legion Speedway

CIRF
10-28-2016, 09:43 PM
I had to take a short trip to about 12 miles South of Fairbury, Illinois on business and my route took me right past the fairgrounds and the FALS. It appears that a new, much improved and much needed catch fence is in the process of being installed.

Could this mean that in addition to all the great late model racing we could also see some big time midget and sprint car racing in FALS future? I sure hope so!

If the July 2016 POWRi show was any indication the midgets and sprinters will be a welcome and exciting addition to FALS schedule in the immediate future. That July POWRi show at FALS was the best show we attended put on by that sanction all season, and that includes some great POWRi action at Mighty Macon.

A USAC National Sprint Car show at FALS would be GREAT!!!!

We'll be excited to see the FALS 2017 racing schedule!

CMatich
10-31-2016, 12:54 PM
The entire track fence is being replaced with new. Approx 12' tall plus 2' overhang of track. 1" square mesh and the usual 1" cables.

The "Kokomo" O'Connor's are spearheading the project along with the FALS crew. Pictures will be on their Facebook page when available.

This is the final phase of the 2016 improvement project which included the new bathrooms and new bleachers already in place early this season.

ChrisNunn
10-31-2016, 12:57 PM
Id make it a point to drop whatever I was doing at the time to get to FALS for a USAC event.

CIRF
10-31-2016, 07:45 PM
Id make it a point to drop whatever I was doing at the time to get to FALS for a USAC event.You and me both ChrisNunn!!!

Judging by the highly favorable reaction of even of the most ardent FALS dirt late model fans to the POWRi National Midget show last July a USAC National Sprint car event at FALS would most likely cause quite a stir among the Fairbury faithful.

We were camped off the backstretch at FALS for the POWRi show and the general consensus among the staunch Fairbury regulars we hung out with was that POWRi was welcome back anytime and that a good quality sprint car show would be well accepted, too.

A USAC National Sprint Car would be unbelievable at FALS!!

Krooser
10-31-2016, 08:42 PM
The real reason for the big fence is there's a chance I may venture down to FALS with my obsolete ex-Barney Oldfield MB next summer and track management saw an old video of me driving and is trying to keep the crowd safe.....

CIRF
11-01-2016, 08:19 AM
FALS is in very good hands if the "Kokomo" O'Connor's are overseeing the catch fence installation. Kokomo is one of the half dozen best weekly dirt tracks in the country.

I would imagine that the O'Connor's could be a great help to FALS in the acquisition of some major sprint car events. Kokomo hosts 2 or 3 of the best events in the Midwest year after year.

Really anticipating the release of the FALS 2017 event schedule.

calverton
11-01-2016, 08:33 AM
Glad kokomo cleaned up their acdt the night i was there it was a disaster it was probably the only time the summer nats where their

CIRF
11-01-2016, 08:51 AM
Boomhauer, you wouldn't know a disaster from an egg plant. LOL@U!!

HoosierDirtFan
11-01-2016, 10:02 AM
Glad kokomo cleaned up their acdt the night i was there it was a disaster it was probably the only time the summer nats where their

Summer nationals where there on two different occasions; 2005 & about 5 years ago.

calverton
11-01-2016, 12:25 PM
FALS don 't need outside help being track of the year multiple times

CIRF
11-01-2016, 02:05 PM
The people that run Fairbury are nowhere near as stupid as you boomhauer, but we all knew that from the get go.

In fact they're plenty smart. I would opine that they are smarter than most anyone posting here. Their past record and achievements are evidence of that. FALS brought in POWRi and they were an overwhelming hit in just one night. It's becoming apparent that FALS management wants to broaden their appeal beyond the dirt late models, mortifieds and street stocks.

As much as we enjoy the late models at FALS year after year it will be great to see some variety in the FALS racing lineup if it in fact happens, and I for one believe it will.

Since Fairbury is so close to us we thoroughly enjoy taking the camper over there on Friday nights and hanging out for the weekend without having to spend a fortune on fuel, etc. As the old saying goes variety is the spice of life, and our group, and I suspect many other local race fans as well, will enthusiastically welcome a change of pace a few weekends a season.

As ChrissNunn so aptly indicated earlier, a National USAC Sprint Car show would be an instant sensation! We would be there with bells on!!!

calverton
11-01-2016, 02:31 PM
They don t need variety yeah we saw the crowd for powri they lost their butt

CIRF
11-01-2016, 03:07 PM
Boomhauer, a pat answer to 99.9% of everything you post goes like this: you're an idiot and you don't know what you're talking about. LOL@U!!

ptown
11-01-2016, 05:30 PM
They don t need variety yeah we saw the crowd for powri they lost their butt

They had a pretty good crowd for that race, can't say whether they made money but I bet none was lost.

Clayton_Wetter
11-01-2016, 06:22 PM
Boomhauer, a pat answer to 99.9% of everything you post goes like this: you're an idiot and you don't know what you're talking about. LOL@U!!

Are you sure that he's not Bill Dauterive? hahhahahahahhaaa

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9b/Bill_Dauterive.png

LOL@PERVERTON!!!!

CIRF
11-01-2016, 07:06 PM
They had a pretty good crowd for that race, can't say whether they made money but I bet none was lost.Yessir ptown, I too would bet that you're correct. Everyone we talked to during and following the POWRi A-main was highly impressed with how competitive and exciting it was. The FALS forum commentary was highly complimentary of the midgets, even from some dyed in the wool, hard core dirt late model and mortified fans.

We're dealing with a fool and an ignoramus and speaking for myself, I should know better.

calverton
11-01-2016, 07:12 PM
Give respect to the modifieds

ptown
11-01-2016, 07:46 PM
Yessir ptown, I too would bet that you're correct. Everyone we talked to during and following the POWRi A-main was highly impressed with how competitive and exciting it was. The FALS forum commentary was highly complimentary of the midgets, even from some dyed in the wool, hard core dirt late model and mortified fans.

We're dealing with a fool and an ignoramus and speaking for myself, I should know better.

Plus the racing that night was great.

Nasty55
11-01-2016, 08:37 PM
The entire track fence is being replaced with new. Approx 12' tall plus 2' overhang of track. 1" square mesh and the usual 1" cables.

The "Kokomo" O'Connor's are spearheading the project along with the FALS crew. Pictures will be on their Facebook page when available.

This is the final phase of the 2016 improvement project which included the new bathrooms and new bleachers already in place early this season.

Better make sure that at least one of the men's restrooms has a glory hole so Calverton will have some business......

fryefan
11-01-2016, 09:57 PM
The people that run Fairbury are nowhere near as stupid as you boomhauer, but we all knew that from the get go.

In fact they're plenty smart. I would opine that they are smarter than most anyone posting here. Their past record and achievements are evidence of that. FALS brought in POWRi and they were an overwhelming hit in just one night. It's becoming apparent that FALS management wants to broaden their appeal beyond the dirt late models, mortifieds and street stocks.

As much as we enjoy the late models at FALS year after year it will be great to see some variety in the FALS racing lineup if it in fact happens, and I for one believe it will.

Since Fairbury is so close to us we thoroughly enjoy taking the camper over there on Friday nights and hanging out for the weekend without having to spend a fortune on fuel, etc. As the old saying goes variety is the spice of life, and our group, and I suspect many other local race fans as well, will enthusiastically welcome a change of pace a few weekends a season.

As ChrissNunn so aptly indicated earlier, a National USAC Sprint Car show would be an instant sensation! We would be there with bells on!!!

POWRI was an overwhelming hit, because midget racing is a vastly underrated form of racing. I attend mainly late model shows, but the midgets are consistently more racey.

calverton
11-01-2016, 10:14 PM
better make sure that at least one of the men's restrooms has a glory hole so calverton will have some business......must be a real classy place no thanks

CIRF
11-01-2016, 11:10 PM
Plus the racing that night was great.No one at FALS that night would, or could, dispute that assessment. And that's why we have our fingers crossed that POWRi will be back and a big time sprint car race or two be added to the schedule, as well (preferably a wingless 410 show!!).

POWRI was an overwhelming hit, because midget racing is a vastly underrated form of racing. I attend mainly late model shows, but the midgets are consistently more racey.I would wholeheartedly agree with your assessment that the small cars are underrated, ff. Like you, we also attend more late model races than any other throughout the season. Since we have a track as good as FALS in our backyard that has the quality of racing that FALS has to offer it's a no brainer for a true racefan to attend as many races as possible at FALS regardless of the genre' of cars.

I might get skewered here for saying so but I would also agree that as often as not the little cars put on as good or better show as the dirt late's.

We spoke with Keith Kunz and he expressed a strong inclination and desire to bring his cars and drivers back to Fairbury. Getting a highly favorable endorsement from Keith is like having Betty Crocker strongly endorse a recipe! LOL!

Mud Packer
11-02-2016, 04:30 PM
I was at the POWRi show at Fairbury with it being my first time there. I was very impressed with the facility and feel that that night provided everyone the opportunity to see extremely competitive racing from the midgets. Looking forward to making it back to Fairbury again in 2017 with hopes of more midget racing and the possibility of a 410 traditional sprint car show.

turnleftandgasit
11-05-2016, 12:24 PM
https://www.facebook.com/Fairbury-American-Legion-Speedway-127131240638893/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

calverton
11-05-2016, 12:35 PM
if you want to see an excellent midget show you need to go to belleclaire or macon

turnleftandgasit
11-05-2016, 12:58 PM
They did an awesome job at FALS. Attendance was OK, but when you factor in IN Speedweek was in full swing, I think everyone involved considered it a success.

CIRF
11-05-2016, 02:57 PM
They did an awesome job at FALS. Attendance was OK, but when you factor in IN Speedweek was in full swing, I think everyone involved considered it a success.tlagi, I said the minute I saw that Indiana Sprint Week was going on the same time as the Fairbury POWRi event that it would somewhat diminish both the crowd and and the car count. The potential for a half dozen well known drivers and cars to be at Fairbury for the POWRI event took a back seat to ISW.

It didn't appear that the show suffered much at all due to the conflict with ISW and the crowd was, in fact, very good given the fact that FALS is a dirt late model haven, of such, in the heart of dirt late model country.

We've got our fingers crossed that any FALS open wheel events don't coincide with Indiana Sprint Week in 2017. ISW is a huge deal and most everything else at that time of the season pales in comparison.

trux
11-05-2016, 10:35 PM
I had never seen a POWRi show before the night they ran at Fairbury, but have to say they put on a great show. Great racing and hope to see them return in '17. You gotta be crazy to drive one of those things.