PDA

View Full Version : Gateway

DarrellGoode
11-04-2016, 02:52 PM
Who's looking forward to this race? I am! Do you all think it will be a good show?

calverton
11-06-2016, 06:43 AM
I am , hoping its a great race . 1/5 mile can be great races , no place to hide always in traffic

Bubstr
11-06-2016, 12:20 PM
Looking forward to it, with reservations. A made track is usually a poor track for the most part, just going by past experience. The pre race ticket hype, is a bit of a turn off. Sell out BS and all. Parking and Motel costs are unsettling, but the race is in the middle of the off season. That has to count for something.

calverton
11-06-2016, 12:25 PM
this might be what we get https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A2KLqIG7cx9Y7GoASz40nIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTBn cGdyMzQ0BHNlYwNzZWFyY2gEdnRpZAM-;_ylc=X1MDMTM1MTE5NTcwMARfcgMyBGJjawM5ZzI2aHU5YnZs cWxyJTI2YiUzRDMlMjZzJTNEMTIEZnIDc2dtBGdwcmlkA1VFbk Iw the track is being built right after the monster jam dec 3rd TRI CITY CREW IS DOING THE TRACK PREP

CIRF
11-06-2016, 02:23 PM
Looking forward to it, with reservations. A made track is usually a poor track for the most part, just going by past experience. The pre race ticket hype, is a bit of a turn off. Sell out BS and all. Parking and Motel costs are unsettling, but the race is in the middle of the off season. That has to count for something.Bubstr, if the track is built correctly it will be fine as evidenced by the indoor dirt tracks at Tulsa and Du Quoin. I have attended many events at both of those indoor tracks and I've yet to see a bad racetrack at either venue.

On the other hand we went to both nights of the debacle up at Rockford last Summer where they laid dirt on top of the asphalt track and it was a nightmare for both the sprinters and the dirt lake models. That is basically what the Gateway track will be is dirt on top of pavement or concrete. The track seemed to be much worse for the dirt late models at Rockford. My uneducated theory is that the dirt late models are almost 1000 lbs. heavier than the sprinters and they have much narrower tires, especially on the right rear which both mods and dirt late's lean on pretty heavily.

All that might be the variable that causes problems. Earl Baltes said in his biography that once ruts and bumps start it's impossible to fix them. All that can be done with them at that point is stop them from getting bigger and bigger as the event progresses and Earl said that preventing them from getting bigger is sometimes impossible, as well. I reckon Ol' Earl knew of which he spoke.

I'd suggest you come to Du Quoin since it's a veritable sure thing and parking is free and good rooms are available for $71.00 a night but the place becomes jam packed and a seat might be hard to come by! LOL!

Either way we hope you have a great time.

calverton
11-06-2016, 02:37 PM
Yeah no ruts at Duqoin just birm from he11 a skinny track that can t pass on

WisWildManFan
11-06-2016, 04:43 PM
Bubstr, if the track is built correctly it will be fine as evidenced by the indoor dirt tracks at Tulsa and Du Quoin. I have attended many events at both of those indoor tracks and I've yet to see a bad racetrack at either venue.On the other hand we went to both nights of the debacle up at Rockford last Summer where they laid dirt on top of the asphalt track and it was a nightmare for both the sprinters and the dirt lake models. That is basically what the Gateway track will be is dirt on top of pavement or concrete. The track seemed to be much worse for the dirt late models at Rockford. My uneducated theory is that the dirt late models are almost 1000 lbs. heavier than the sprinters and they have much narrower tires, especially on the right rear which both mods and dirt late's lean on pretty heavily.All that might be the variable that causes problems. Earl Baltes said in his biography that once ruts and bumps start it's impossible to fix them. All that can be done with them at that point is stop them from getting bigger and bigger as the event progresses and Earl said that preventing them from getting bigger is sometimes impossible, as well. I reckon Ol' Earl knew of which he spoke.I'd suggest you come to Du Quoin since it's a veritable sure thing and parking is free and good rooms are available for $71.00 a night but the place becomes jam packed and a seat might be hard to come by! LOL!Either way we hope you have a great time.And they did zero track prep after the sprints ran the night before lates. First couple laps of late model main were best of night after rain. I'll give St. Louis a shot with the expectation it will be as terrible as rockford and indy last winter. Both of those races the track prep was rushed and by all accounts this is supposed to have a couple weeks is what we are being told. The only good thing is if it's a one lane choo choo maybe we could see a few surprise drivers up front.

calverton
11-06-2016, 05:59 PM
I doubt it be one lone but yes you might see some surprizes up front 1/ 5 miles will do that don't need high powered motor or fancy chassis either

CIRF
11-07-2016, 07:29 AM
And they did zero track prep after the sprints ran the night before lates. First couple laps of late model main were best of night after rain. I'll give St. Louis a shot with the expectation it will be as terrible as rockford and indy last winter. Both of those races the track prep was rushed and by all accounts this is supposed to have a couple weeks is what we are being told. The only good thing is if it's a one lane choo choo maybe we could see a few surprise drivers up front.I will preface my next comment with this: the next dirt track I prep will be my first so what I say may or may not contain the least bit of merit. However, in all the years we've been involved with, and attending dirt racing, I've never seen the types of methods used to prep a dirt track like was used at Rockford. It was the most unconventional process our group had ever seen.

Tulsa and Du Quoin are rock solid proof a good indoor dirt track built on concrete or pavement is possible. Whether it works out that way at St. Louis remains to be seen.

If what I'm reading is factual the same people who promoted the Indy disaster are behind the St. Louis deal, too. If that's true ya' gotta' give 'em credit, they're persistent in their efforts. Gotta' believe they made some money at Indy last year so these one shot events might be a good business model in the short run. One thing is for certain, The Chili Bowl and Du Quoin are the only indoor dirt events that have stood the test of time so it can be done but it ain't easy.

calverton
11-07-2016, 07:35 AM
They say if the dome is sold out which we won't until we get there the promotor will make 3 million as far as track prep tri city crew will be doing the work

WisWildManFan
11-08-2016, 02:16 PM
I will preface my next comment with this: the next dirt track I prep will be my first so what I say may or may not contain the least bit of merit. However, in all the years we've been involved with, and attending dirt racing, I've never seen the types of methods used to prep a dirt track like was used at Rockford. It was the most unconventional process our group had ever seen.Tulsa and Du Quoin are rock solid proof a good indoor dirt track built on concrete or pavement is possible. Whether it works out that way at St. Louis remains to be seen.If what I'm reading is factual the same people who promoted the Indy disaster are behind the St. Louis deal, too. If that's true ya' gotta' give 'em credit, they're persistent in their efforts. Gotta' believe they made some money at Indy last year so these one shot events might be a good business model in the short run. One thing is for certain, The Chili Bowl and Du Quoin are the only indoor dirt events that have stood the test of time so it can be done but it ain't easy.Wrg has figured out they can go to new asphalt venues and get everyone's money at least once... Heard the one out east was a debacle as well. Only benefit for rockford was I live 6 mins away. Sure hoping with a couple weeks to prep track they an figure something out. Be my last race until March so I'm excited to get one more in this year.

zach51
11-08-2016, 02:28 PM
Keep in mind the cars in Tulsa weigh less than half (in some cases 1/3) of what a late model does, and has half the horsepower. Not near as violent on the surface as DLM's will be. But heck I'm all for giving it a shot and hope it turns out well.

DarrellGoode
11-08-2016, 05:31 PM
Maybe they can have a local test it out after the track gets built?

calverton
11-08-2016, 05:38 PM
I am sure thats is the plan kevin gundakers sons logically could do the testing

CIRF
11-08-2016, 09:53 PM
Wrg has figured out they can go to new asphalt venues and get everyone's money at least once... Heard the one out east was a debacle as well. Only benefit for rockford was I live 6 mins away. Sure hoping with a couple weeks to prep track they an figure something out. Be my last race until March so I'm excited to get one more in this year.WWMF, we too live relatively close to Rockford (a little over an hour) and thankfully we didn't need rooms to attend both nights of racing. We should have known better after getting sucked in to the deal at Indy last year but we couldn't stay away. Kinda' like the train wreck you just can't take your eyes off of.

You are spot on in regards to WRG getting everyone's money at least once. That's exactly why we're going to opt for Du Quoin, which has been consistently a sure thing over the years and is a USAC National show, to boot.
Keep in mind the cars in Tulsa weigh less than half (in some cases 1/3) of what a late model does, and has half the horsepower. Not near as violent on the surface as DLM's will be. But heck I'm all for giving it a shot and hope it turns out well.You make a very good point in reference to the violence of the weight and horsepower. The odds of the track holding up are against St. Louis in comparison to Tulsa.

calverton
11-08-2016, 10:03 PM
wrg are not involved try again Its UMP rules but not sanctioned

aflack83
11-09-2016, 06:18 AM
I sure hope its a good show. My brother and I will be traveling about 6 hours from KY to watch!

cutman
11-09-2016, 09:31 AM
What kind of attendance do you think they will pull?

CIRF
11-09-2016, 10:01 AM
What kind of attendance do you think they will pull?cutman, attendance will be very good. It's a new event at a new venue featuring one class of racecars that haven't raced indoors in over 30 years and another that hasn't ever raced indoors. Obviously, what happens in regards to the the competition on the track at this first event, not attendance, will determine whether there will be another of it's kind.

The debacle's at both Kemper Arena in Kansas City and at Indy last year were both very, very well attended but there won't be another, and for very good reason. If the health department has to periodically shut down the racing activities due to high carbon monoxide levels could well be a determining factor as it was at Indy last year.

cutman
11-09-2016, 10:13 AM
I hope they pull it off in all aspects. Good for the drivers and the fans to have something to do in the "off-season"

calverton
11-09-2016, 02:12 PM
2 classes will be there

DarrellGoode
11-09-2016, 03:51 PM
Just got off the phone with the guy from the event. Sunday December 4th, construction will begin on the track. There will be a couple of teams testing the track to make sure it's race ready.

calverton
11-09-2016, 04:42 PM
December 3 Rd is monster trucks their

MI Dirt Fan
11-09-2016, 09:32 PM
December 3 Rd is monster trucks their

That's why they are starting construction on the 4th Litey, you dumb douche

calverton
11-09-2016, 10:17 PM
what do think the monster truck is made of dummy ' kevin and his crew will do just fine

Highside Hustler25
11-09-2016, 11:34 PM
Not sure if this was posted yet but the tune up race at Belle Clair has been cancelled due to a conflict with another event. They might possibly schedule a practice night if it works out.

calverton
11-10-2016, 07:17 AM
yeah this event has been on the calendar for months its a 3 day dog show in the convention hall

zach51
11-10-2016, 08:28 AM
lol, you can't make that up. what class will you be in? hounds?

calverton
11-10-2016, 08:29 AM
that's the way this whole year has been in the St Louis area

MI Dirt Fan
11-10-2016, 09:12 AM
what do think the monster truck is made of dummy ' kevin and his crew will do just fine

Monster trucks aren't made of dirt.

calverton
11-10-2016, 01:06 PM
Really now I guess Eldora is not dirt lol

zach51
11-10-2016, 02:21 PM
way too high level MI Dirt lol

TackyTracker
11-10-2016, 02:32 PM
I think event will be excellent

calverton
11-10-2016, 02:48 PM