PDA

View Full Version : HARTFORD (MI) Speedway - going from 1/2 mile to a 3/8 mile. per Brian Ruhlman FB page

HoosierDirtFan
11-10-2016, 03:52 PM
Just seen a post on Brian Ruhlman's Facebook page with a picture.
Hartford Speedway located in Hartford, Michigan being shortened from a "Wicked" 1/2 mile to a 3/8's mile.

CIRF
11-10-2016, 04:25 PM
It's become a trend and a sign of the times. Farley, IA, Granite City, IL, Freeport, IL, Pecatonica, IL and now Hartford are just a few that I recall that are gone. I'm sure there are many that I don't recall.

For many years it was the mile dirt tracks that were being done away with and we're down to 3 in the whole country that are used for auto racing. Now the 1/2 miles are slowly becoming extinct. Terre Haute is one of the few true half miles I can think of besides Hartford.

I fully understand why it's trending in that direction but it's still just a bit sad.

rickybrown1952
11-10-2016, 04:31 PM
Don't like 1/2 mile anyway

MI Dirt Fan
11-10-2016, 05:34 PM
Didn't they just shorten it some this past off season

GEAR_HEAD
11-10-2016, 05:38 PM
It's become a trend and a sign of the times. Farley, IA, Granite City, IL, Freeport, IL, Pecatonica, IL and now Hartford are just a few that I recall that are gone. I'm sure there are many that I don't recall.

For many years it was the mile dirt tracks that were being done away with and we're down to 3 in the whole country that are used for auto racing. Now the 1/2 miles are slowly becoming extinct. Terre Haute is one of the few true half miles I can think of besides Hartford.

I fully understand why it's trending in that direction but it's still just a bit sad.

It's because most half miles can't be raced on because of the configuration or track conditions. PPMS and Port Royal are 2 of the exceptions, they are both true half miles (PPMS is actually bigger than that) but they are both extremely racey. Terre Haute, for example, is a terrible racetrack though and bottom dominant. The Rock in Cumberland MD was the same way when it was open. Bedford is bad most of the time too. The cars keep getting faster which makes the racing on poorly configured big tracks worse.

HoosierDirtFan
11-10-2016, 05:41 PM
Didn't they just shorten it some this past off season

They only move the inside walls in the corner in some. The post on Brian's page has been deleted after he was asked to delete it until they get a press release ready.
The track owner Tim & his wife Leah are going through tough times as their 5 year old son Timmy was diagnosed with Leukemia just about 2/3 months ago and is going through treatments at a Kalamazoo hospital.
Many drivers and teams are auction off race items to help the family.

CIRF
11-10-2016, 08:42 PM
Terre Haute, for example, is a terrible racetrack though and bottom dominant.

I've been to every race but 2 at Terre Haute going back 5 years. One of the two I missed was the dirt late model UMP Summer National show the other was a MSCS wingless sprint car show. I'm really not sure what evidence the terrible racetrack statement is based on. Every time we've been to Terre Haute there has been a usable high groove. Even the USAC Silver Crown cars develop an upper groove.

I don't remember the last time I left THAT thinking the racing was sub-par. There have been a few that haven't been barn burners but for the most part they have been above average. The Indiana Sprint Week events over the last 5 or 6 years have been some phenomenal racing.

I will acknowledge that Terre Haute can, and does at times, get a bit rough. Always has. But generally it doesn't detract from the quality of the racing.

The worst deal we've ever seen at Terre Haute was a Sunday afternoon USAC Silver Crown day show. There were a bunch of guys that didn't know what they were doing prepping the track and the race had to be stopped and cancelled after just 1 lap because of dust. We were given free admission and a free T-shirt a week later to the Indiana Sprint Week night race. This time they had Bob Sargent doing the track prep and the track was very good.

calverton
11-10-2016, 09:48 PM
Day time shows most anywhere stinks