PDA

View Full Version : Busted lr shock?

sidewinder69
11-14-2016, 11:04 PM
Checking shocks on the car to see what is causing the car to be so free and no drive whatever I do .I noticed the lr behind shock wouldnt not extend itself on its own. Had to pull it for the last two inches. It feels back stiff once I compress it past that mark. Could this be causing all of my problems or is it common

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-14-2016, 11:09 PM
Unless you have a position dependent shock, not likely, it is jacked up.

Stede Bonnet
11-15-2016, 08:22 AM
Checking shocks on the car to see what is causing the car to be so free and no drive whatever I do .I noticed the lr behind shock wouldnt not extend itself on its own. Had to pull it for the last two inches. It feels back stiff once I compress it past that mark. Could this be causing all of my problems or is it common

Its definitely not helping your cause. Sounds like gas leaked out or unless you saw evidence of oil leaking out, either way it needs looking at. No shock on a late model should have a dead spot "at all".

MachineMasters
11-15-2016, 04:44 PM
Either the shock was assembled incorrectly, or it has lost oil.

I'm betting on the oil. Without knowing the shock, I'll assume it is a monotube with gas chamber with a snap ring retaining the internal floating piston. Once the shock lost some oil, the floating piston started moving down towards the main body of the shock. Then, once it hit the snap ring that retains it, the shock quit extending.. which makes you have to pull it out by hand the last couple of inches. The piston is still submerged in oil so when you go to compress the shock again, the oil still needs to flow through the rod/piston which makes it feel good on compression.

Or if the shock has a cannister, the ifp is probably bottomed out internally in the cannister (due to oil loss), which has the same effect as above.

Get it rebuilt, probably just needs a freshening with new seals and oil.

sidewinder69
11-15-2016, 09:21 PM
I can compress it to the point of which it gets stiff at the two inch mark and can hear a click or tick in the canister.....so do you think that kills all of my drive and sidebite ??

keeks
11-16-2016, 12:32 AM
It is definitely not helping that's for sure. Any kind of bind is going to amplified under race conditions.

MachineMasters
11-16-2016, 11:39 AM
I can compress it to the point of which it gets stiff at the two inch mark and can hear a click or tick in the canister.....so do you think that kills all of my drive and sidebite ??

I don't think it would kill your drive and sidebite. The left rear behind shock is the least important shock on the car. It moves the least amount of any of the shocks due to the birdcage motion ratio. However, it wasn't helping anything..