PDA

View Full Version : Mopar back in Cup?

Krooser
12-04-2016, 04:39 PM
Maybe this will filter back down to DLM's if someone can convince our teams and promoters that a Ford/Chevy/Dodge rivalry is good for ticket sales...

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/marchionne-confirms-dodge-on-verge-of-nascar-return-856864/

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
12-04-2016, 05:23 PM
Yea the #48 is switching to chrysler. That is the only way they can slow him down and keep him from getting his 8th titleď

dirtdobber45
12-04-2016, 06:01 PM
Yea the #48 is switching to chrysler. That is the only way they can slow him down and keep him from getting his 8th titleďItll still have an * at the end of it ..just like the other seven

ptown
12-04-2016, 06:05 PM
NASCAR is horrible and is also no longer called CUP.

kidrock
12-04-2016, 06:08 PM
NASCAR is horrible and is also no longer called CUP.

It was this year it was called Sprint Cup.

chupp n bloomer fan
12-04-2016, 06:18 PM
Itll still have an * at the end of it ..just like the other sevenWhy an asterisk?

dirtdobber45
12-04-2016, 06:29 PM
Why an asterisk?Because its under the 'chase' system. Not the old fashion way like Petty and Earnhardt did....you know the most consistent driver

calverton
12-04-2016, 06:53 PM
Exactly dd45

chupp n bloomer fan
12-04-2016, 07:02 PM
Because its under the 'chase' system. Not the old fashion way like Petty and Earnhardt did....you know the most consistent driverDidn't he win a few of them before they went to this BS? I agree, once they went to this BS, an asterisk should be next to it. I don't watch NASCRAP anymore, so I didn't quite recall when they went to this stuff.

Krooser
12-04-2016, 07:05 PM
Didn't know they changed the name… saw maybe 20 laps in the last 4-5 years.

a25rjr
12-04-2016, 07:18 PM
I still call it Winston Cup! The other names just don't sound right!

calverton
12-04-2016, 07:34 PM
What I can't stand they will call let's say the 1990 sprint /monster cup champion wrong wrong wrong

Cardirt0
12-04-2016, 07:44 PM
Because its under the 'chase' system. Not the old fashion way like Petty and Earnhardt did....you know the most consistent driver

24 would have 7 if they left it a lone... if you add up the points the old way he have 7......

Cardirt0
12-04-2016, 07:46 PM
What I can't stand they will call let's say the 1990 sprint /monster cup champion wrong wrong wrong

No cause Sprint is GONE......... Its one or the other not both....

calverton
12-04-2016, 07:52 PM
you don't get what I mean you don't call the 1990 sprint cup do you are do you sprint was not around back then or sponsored the series now did they you call it what the sponsor was

kidrock
12-04-2016, 07:54 PM
No cause Sprint is GONE......... Its one or the other not both....

Don't try and reason with the St.louis sidewalk cracker because, you will be wasting your time lol

calverton
12-04-2016, 07:56 PM
here it is this is wrong and at least st louis has sidewalks http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-cup-series/standings.default.1990.html

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
12-04-2016, 08:23 PM
Because its under the 'chase' system. Not the old fashion way like Petty and Earnhardt did....you know the most consistent driver

Yea they had to change system to keep the #48 from winning championships

dirtdobber45
12-04-2016, 09:24 PM
Didn't he win a few of them before they went to this BS? I agree, once they went to this BS, an asterisk should be next to it. I don't watch NASCRAP anymore, so I didn't quite recall when they went to this stuff.No bud the chase started in 04. Jimmies first title was in 06.

dirtdobber45
12-04-2016, 09:26 PM
Yea they had to change system to keep the #48 from winning championshipsYou mean that was the only way the Busch bros and Jimmie could win

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
12-04-2016, 10:14 PM
You mean that was the only way the Busch bros and Jimmie could win

No johnson was so dominate they couldnt stop him

calverton
12-04-2016, 10:52 PM
but atleast he earned it unlike this stupid chase format

MI Dirt Fan
12-05-2016, 12:05 AM
Wasn't there something about Dodge engines blocks being quite heavier than Ford or Chevy so they are a bit obsolete in DLM and quite for expensive for parts?

Krooser
12-05-2016, 01:28 AM
Aftermarket aluminum small block blocks are being made by one shop... Mopar recently stopped producing their iron race blocks much to the chagrin of many drag racers. The factory is pushing the new Hemi as a race deal and is ignoring the old LA platform.

The only disadvantage to the currently available stuff is there is no wide bore 12 or 13 degree heads around. Not sure what the NASCAR blocks were... there are plenty still available on the used market. Stock production blocks use a lifter angle that doesn't like roller lifters if you run over 7,000 rpm's... too much monkey motion. But a 48 degree angle solves that problem and that's what most guys who race 'em use.

Parts are parts... if you buy a crank, rods, pistons for this race stuff they all cost the same because everything is custom.

CIRF
12-05-2016, 09:31 AM
Aftermarket aluminum small block blocks are being made by one shop... Mopar recently stopped producing their iron race blocks much to the chagrin of many drag racers. The factory is pushing the new Hemi as a race deal and is ignoring the old LA platform.

The only disadvantage to the currently available stuff is there is no wide bore 12 or 13 degree heads around. Not sure what the NASCAR blocks were... there are plenty still available on the used market. Stock production blocks use a lifter angle that doesn't like roller lifters if you run over 7,000 rpm's... too much monkey motion. But a 48 degree angle solves that problem and that's what most guys who race 'em use.

Parts are parts... if you buy a crank, rods, pistons for this race stuff they all cost the same because everything is custom.Krooser, I'd heard a little about the problems with the roller lifters when Mopar was involved with some ARCA teams back in the days when Brad Keselowski's Dad Bob was racing a Chrysler La Baron. Never really investigated what those guys did to alleviate the roller lifter problems but I know Bob was turning those Chrysler engines more than 7 grand. Since ARCA mandated roller lifters in those days I'm curious as to what guys like Keselowski and Jerry Churchill did to keep the valve train together long enough to finish a 200 mile race at Daytona or Talladega. I'm less familiar with the Mopar stuff of recent years when they got back in to Cup racing.

I believe the Mopar engines of that era, at least on the stock car side, were developed and perfected by Buddy Arrington and his son Joey. I think Gary Stanton was a big part of the deal with Mopar, as well. Those guys all had a pretty good rep in the racing community and helped a lot of people. Jimmy Sills won a lot of sprint car races running Gary Stanton engines.

Krooser
12-06-2016, 11:49 PM
The Petty's would actually cut out the lifter valley and re-weld it to a 48 degree angle. Stock is 59..

calverton
12-07-2016, 07:30 AM
cheating dogs

CIRF
12-07-2016, 08:17 AM
The Petty's would actually cut out the lifter valley and re-weld it to a 48 degree angle. Stock is 59..

Krooser, did the Petty's do that with the more recent Mopar engines or the engines they used during the days immediately following NASCAR's emasculation of the hemi in the mid 1970's?

Krooser
12-07-2016, 11:07 PM
I read it was after they went to the small block Mopar until he switched to Brand X...