PDA

View Full Version : Tony Izzo....The standards in our sport is definitely changing !!

ptown
12-17-2016, 07:32 AM
Facebook post from last night.....Thoughts?

Examples
1- Take as long as we want to run a show
2- Don't worry about torn up race cars as long as the show is good
3- pre charge everyone to come race
4- raise all my concession prices by 50pct
5- charge more to get in
6- Run a lot less laps
7- let yellow after yellow destroy the show
I could go on and on but before everyone wants to jump my (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) I talk to a ton of people in this industry and I'm not alone on this I'm just the only one passionate enough about are sport and the integrity of it a lot of your favorite drivers took the let's wait and see approach because of these simple reasons all I'm trying to say is it's a slap in the face to a lot of us that has been held to a different standard by the fans and drivers for the last 40 years !!

Again I'm happy that the fan is happy and that the coverage team thinks it's the greatest thing they ever seen I really am but I hope that someday things get back to normal these novelty events may destroy what we all once thought was awesome I do t want to have to tear up cars and let guys run over each other to make my show great sorry !

We talk at every promoters meetings how do we keep the cost down for the racer so the fan doesn't have to keep paying more to get in well I'm here to tell you this stuff and races like Rockford last year are not keeping cost down for anyone !

Do you think it's good that the money being made on this race at the concessions and gates leaves are sport and doesn't get put back in ?

You all are making my point not fair to hold me to a standard I could not get away with what is going on this weekend you all know that so stop yourselfs.

Guys your missing it not trying to make it something it wasn't I'm simply saying there were a lot of things about this race and others like it that we don't talk about for whatever reasons it's simply guys really it is
You would not allow me to run that long of a event
Allow them to race
In the infield
Charge what they charged
That's all I'm saying !!

And what you are all telling me is I can go rent a facility anywhere and charge whatever it takes to cover my cost and charge whatever for beer and food and if the races take all night long and the race cars get torn up etc it's ok because I rented a venue that I knew would be like this wow !

Also when we make money as a track we put it back into the track and hope it helps us stay open another year when we let anyone come in to are sport get all these sponsors to pay the bills and then walks off with there pockets full and it don't go back in to the sport in any way yes that's a problem with me and should be with you to !

Dirt track racing is not stronger because of these events trust me the money leaves the sport guys
Farmer city has had the Illini for how many years now and not to blam them but they have nothing to show for it because they let someone come in and take the money out of the sport basically and if you don't believe me ask them and ask them if that isn't why there doing there own big show this year we can't keep letting the money leave the sport and keep making the Rich richer and the rest of us struggling to keep are gates open because we are held to a standard that others are not

ImCryn2
12-17-2016, 08:05 AM
Facebook post from last night.....Thoughts?

Examples
1- Take as long as we want to run a show
2- Don't worry about torn up race cars as long as the show is good
3- pre charge everyone to come race
4- raise all my concession prices by 50pct
5- charge more to get in
6- Run a lot less laps
7- let yellow after yellow destroy the show
I could go on and on but before everyone wants to jump my (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) I talk to a ton of people in this industry and I'm not alone on this I'm just the only one passionate enough about are sport and the integrity of it a lot of your favorite drivers took the let's wait and see approach because of these simple reasons all I'm trying to say is it's a slap in the face to a lot of us that has been held to a different standard by the fans and drivers for the last 40 years !!

Again I'm happy that the fan is happy and that the coverage team thinks it's the greatest thing they ever seen I really am but I hope that someday things get back to normal these novelty events may destroy what we all once thought was awesome I do t want to have to tear up cars and let guys run over each other to make my show great sorry !

We talk at every promoters meetings how do we keep the cost down for the racer so the fan doesn't have to keep paying more to get in well I'm here to tell you this stuff and races like Rockford last year are not keeping cost down for anyone !

Do you think it's good that the money being made on this race at the concessions and gates leaves are sport and doesn't get put back in ?

You all are making my point not fair to hold me to a standard I could not get away with what is going on this weekend you all know that so stop yourselfs.

Guys your missing it not trying to make it something it wasn't I'm simply saying there were a lot of things about this race and others like it that we don't talk about for whatever reasons it's simply guys really it is
You would not allow me to run that long of a event
Allow them to race
In the infield
Charge what they charged
That's all I'm saying !!

And what you are all telling me is I can go rent a facility anywhere and charge whatever it takes to cover my cost and charge whatever for beer and food and if the races take all night long and the race cars get torn up etc it's ok because I rented a venue that I knew would be like this wow !

Also when we make money as a track we put it back into the track and hope it helps us stay open another year when we let anyone come in to are sport get all these sponsors to pay the bills and then walks off with there pockets full and it don't go back in to the sport in any way yes that's a problem with me and should be with you to !

Dirt track racing is not stronger because of these events trust me the money leaves the sport guys
Farmer city has had the Illini for how many years now and not to blam them but they have nothing to show for it because they let someone come in and take the money out of the sport basically and if you don't believe me ask them and ask them if that isn't why there doing there own big show this year we can't keep letting the money leave the sport and keep making the Rich richer and the rest of us struggling to keep are gates open because we are held to a standard that others are not

This coming from a guy that has many times let a show last for hours longer than it should have?
A guy that does not have any kind of tech (and has been known to fire tech people for inspecting a car he didn't authorize)?
A guy that kisses the backside of the big money guys while treating guys who are there every week like crap?
From a guy who has been known to run out of food before heat races are over?
From a guy who cut his schedule back to only include bigger shows? Most promoters use the money made on such events to keep the weekly program going. This guy chose to run only shows he can make money on and NOT run a weekly show.

Tell me who is in it for the money and who is in it for the love of the sport, Mr Izzo

turnleftandgasit
12-17-2016, 08:18 AM
93 SNL race......3 intermissions so they could replace 2 motors your son grenades. It's all about the sport, isn't it Tony. We were young parents, first night out after having a baby 4 months before. Took 17 years for me to go back......I won't be back again.

nightmare_begins
12-17-2016, 08:37 AM
First off like any special event the fan knows prices will be higher. The venue sets the prices for food not the promoter. I'm referring to the dome/convention center..... the pre sale of tickets I understand that to, cause he had to know if there would be enough interest for the idea to even work. As far as sponsors making money... well don't they need a return on investment?? How much ROI do they get at your local track?? Here I'm not sure either but the real winner is dirt track racing and that's something we should all be happy about!

SHOESTRING TRVLR
12-17-2016, 08:48 AM
Didn't Mr Izzo charge $30 for a $5000 sn show this year, and the show he did run last til almost midnight with all the support classes.

calverton
12-17-2016, 09:23 AM
sounds like sour grapes to me as far as cars being torn up most of is sheet metal and that happens on 1/5 miles duh

Dirt Clod
12-17-2016, 10:15 AM
Looks like Mr. Izzo had too much egg nog before he wrote this and his send. Wonder if he really thought this out before he wrote this up. For all his valid points there are more to laugh at. Another example of how social media can make you look like a fool.

HoosierDirtFan
12-17-2016, 10:27 AM
Sounds like some of you don't understand what he's trying to say.
This event in St. Louis is merely a novelty like the chili bowl, Ft. Wayne Rumble, ect..

Instead of letting money leave the sport we need to put it back into out sport. If / when a track makes money they should try to put it back into the track or a payout.

Here is an example. Instead of having a 2-day $30k - $50k event. Divide that in half and have 2 separate show on back to back days; I.e. instead of a 2-day $30k to win & $2k to start show make it 2 separate show paying $15k to win and $1k to start. Give the racers more chances to make a buck. Got to have a better way of putting money back into our sport and not let the money leave.
When / if the track makes any money they should try to put it back into the facility / track or the payouts during the year.

Got to get back to the basics. Events like this don't make any money. Imagine what it cost to put on this show.
Yes the racing is great and the fans and driver like it; but I think there should have been some kind of tow money involved. How many of you have an idea of what if might have cost a team to be there this weekend.
I agree with Izzo. He d@mn near hit the nail on the head. I don't believe there are may people like Tony. He generally cares about the sport. He lives, sleeps, and breathes it. It's a passion he has. He reminds me of my self and some of my friends.

QUESTION - How many of you actually understand what he is trying to say here?

calverton
12-17-2016, 10:33 AM
They paid 5 k in both features and it's the second ever event like that indoors and novelty events are great in the winter time

56GWebbfan
12-17-2016, 10:36 AM
I'm a Tony Izzo supporter - would consider LaSalle my home track. I truly believe he cares about our sport. I support him and will continue to attend each and every race he promotes. His ideas may not make everyone happy, but at least he's got balls enough to let everyone know what he's thinking.

calverton
12-17-2016, 10:47 AM
That's true very but why b@tch now the chili bowl has ran for over 30 years and some say it is the greatest event since slice bread , some puts a stock car event inside and no its bad

HoosierDirtFan
12-17-2016, 10:49 AM
I'm a Tony Izzo supporter - would consider LaSalle my home track. I truly believe he cares about our sport. I support him and will continue to attend each and every race he promotes. His ideas may not make everyone happy, but at least he's got balls enough to let everyone know what he's thinking.

Absolutely agree. I don' believe there are many people like Tony. He truly cares about racing

calverton
12-17-2016, 10:56 AM
There was alot money and time spent to have that novelty event maybe he doesn't realize that

ImCryn2
12-17-2016, 11:00 AM
Sounds like some of you don't understand what he's trying to say.
This event in St. Louis is merely a novelty like the chili bowl, Ft. Wayne Rumble, ect..

Instead of letting money leave the sport we need to put it back into out sport. If / when a track makes money they should try to put it back into the track or a payout.

Here is an example. Instead of having a 2-day $30k - $50k event. Divide that in half and have 2 separate show on back to back days; I.e. instead of a 2-day $30k to win & $2k to start show make it 2 separate show paying $15k to win and $1k to start. Give the racers more chances to make a buck. Got to have a better way of putting money back into our sport and not let the money leave.
When / if the track makes any money they should try to put it back into the facility / track or the payouts during the year.

Got to get back to the basics. Events like this don't make any money. Imagine what it cost to put on this show.
Yes the racing is great and the fans and driver like it; but I think there should have been some kind of tow money involved. How many of you have an idea of what if might have cost a team to be there this weekend.
I agree with Izzo. He d@mn near hit the nail on the head. I don't believe there are may people like Tony. He generally cares about the sport. He lives, sleeps, and breathes it. It's a passion he has. He reminds me of my self and some of my friends.

QUESTION - How many of you actually understand what he is trying to say here?

Big money shows have made promoters greedy and Izzo is A #1 example of that! He wants the good nights that make money and to heck with the weekly show that may take some of that profit away. THAT is not loving the sport! That is what is killing the sport. Ridding the sport of weekly races eliminates the entry level classes and before long it will only be the folks with deep pockets who can afford to get into racing. You say you understand his point and nobody else does, but you say events like this don't make money. That contradicts exactly what Tony said, that events like this take money away from the sport. Tony even said that the promoter "pockets" the money.
I know exactly what Tony is saying and it is a PERSONAL deal to him, as he does not like his ex brother in law, Cody. That's the extent of it.

calverton
12-17-2016, 11:05 AM
Ahh that sheds some light to the problem

NormP
12-17-2016, 11:11 AM
My thought is that if he can't follow the basic rules of grammar and compose something that makes sense, I don't really see the need to spend a lot of time regarding him as a subject matter expert.

ptown
12-17-2016, 11:21 AM
My thought is that if he can't follow the basic rules of grammar and compose something that makes sense, I don't really see the need to spend a lot of time regarding him as a subject matter expert.

Some of us weren't good in English class and what it takes to compose a correct sentence, that doesn't mean he shouldn't say what's on his mind. Some of what he says I agree with other things I don't agree.

calverton
12-17-2016, 11:25 AM
but when you don't the facts and what and how it was put on, also Tony raced many a Sunday nights on a track as small or smaller back in the 90s's

Pennsboro23
12-17-2016, 11:26 AM
The only thing ruining the sport are the people constantly complaining about it on social media posts.

outacontrol
12-17-2016, 11:39 AM
This show doesn't take anything away from our sport. How can you complain about a dirt track race? Because it isn't your race and money going in your pocket?

Cardirt0
12-17-2016, 12:42 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I love dirt racing .. But it takes $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Just like most things, It comes too a end, or it has to change....Just Like for me, If I win the Lotto Tuesday FarmerCity will get 2 million In improvements.. Why Cause i am old and i love this track..I dont even care if they dont put my name on something if i did do this.. I put in 15000 seats, and new lights, and a score board, so The people on 4m that B!tch of no score board can go (%&^$$&^* them self's) Then I have a seat on the fence for me and I go too the races till i die...The people that put on this race had 3 out comes for this race .. Lose there A$$ ... brake even ... and make some money... I hope they make money ... cause if they make money more people will try to put on races some were....

calverton
12-17-2016, 12:44 PM
exactly car dirt

Bubstr
12-17-2016, 12:46 PM
The only thing ruining the sport are the people constantly complaining about it on social media posts.

I don't think this complaining is ruining anything but some promoters feelings. They have had it their way for a long time. Some of them give us a mediocre event and care less, whether the fan is happy. Since the internet has come along, the fan has a voice and it's too bad if these promoters don't like it. Now that the fan has a voice, he can and will say what they like and what they don't like. The promoters should be happy that they say anything, instead of just walking away.

The complaining about gateway started because people could see the false hype about sell outs and exaggerated car counts starting way too early in the year. They said something about everything but real info. Starting times, Format, how many laps and the tings you should know before you go. Somethings wrong if you can't be forthright in your advertisements. If they where less than up front with those things, what else was wrong and why? I think these complainers are tired of getting less than their moneys worth for the most part. What really irritates them is some spokes person, with a smile on their face, selling a Sows ear for the price of a silk purse.

TerryM
12-17-2016, 01:03 PM
Social media complaining doesn't affect anything. It's annoying to wade through, for sure, but means nothing.

Cardirt0
12-17-2016, 01:05 PM
Just like all the Dem that said to Trump if you lose you cant complane .. And then a lot of people that have had it with being PC said ... vote for Trump and he Wins... Now the same Dems that said not to complane... are making up all kinds of lies on why they LOST.. And Complaining just like they said for us not to....Got to LOVE IT ..
If you are not happy with what happen at this track AND YOU WERE there .. you have a right to be mad...But if you were there and had a good Time Speak up and say so... Thats how it works Now so live with it...Till it changes...
PC people can go S=== them selfs.... But you should tell the truth when you speak...

ptown
12-17-2016, 01:09 PM
Just like all the Dem that said to Trump if you lose you cant complane .. And then a lot of people that have had it with being PC said ... vote for Trump and he Wins... Now the same Dems that said not to complane... are making up all kinds of lies on why they LOST.. And Complaining just like they said for us not to....Got to LOVE IT ..
If you are not happy with what happen at this track AND YOU WERE there .. you have a right to be mad...But if you were there and had a good Time Speak up and say so... Thats how it works Now so live with it...Till it changes...
PC people can go S=== them selfs.... But you should tell the truth when you speak...

Can somebody translate this?

kidrock
12-17-2016, 01:14 PM
but when you don't the facts and what and how it was put on, also Tony raced many a Sunday nights on a track as small or smaller back in the 90s's

Do you have any clue as to what you are typing sometimes. Need a translator on this one. lol

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-17-2016, 01:18 PM

No. The new rules police is driving it into the ground.

Cardirt0
12-17-2016, 01:23 PM
Can somebody translate this?

Was just a Drug rant just for you.. wanted to see if you ask for a Translate and you did Thanks

highgroove
12-17-2016, 02:39 PM
I may be wrong, but isn't that why people promote things, to make money...If it's a rock concert or a race, bottom line you got to make money or you won't be in business very long....if it continues and the crowds get bigger ,maybe the payout will too...

Just Sayin

Cardirt0
12-17-2016, 02:41 PM
I may be wrong, but isn't that why people promote things, to make money...If it's a rock concert or a race. bottom line you got to make money or you won't be in business very long....if it continues and the crowd get bigger ,may the payout will too...

Just Sayin

Gee someone gets it...

intel8
12-17-2016, 02:59 PM
Highgrove nails it! Izzo should put on his own winter show instead of crying on social media.

seifertfan2
12-17-2016, 03:19 PM

I couldnt have said it better myself. 100% correct.

HoosierDirtFan
12-17-2016, 03:31 PM
It's not so much about making money as it is being a novelty and how having more races like it have to some extent kept fans at home and now they just save their money for those races instead of going to the weekly races and help keep the track open.
People like Tony look at the big picture.
Take a look from his vantage point and you just might have a better picture of what he is try to point out and get across.
Sometimes racers can be their own worst enemy.
I can tell from some of the post some don't understand what he is saying.
A smart promoter and one that cares will keep trying even when the going gets tough.
Going sit down and have a word with him and understand his views before you bash him.
I think most racers will agree with him.
The 2 guys I help out and some of my close agree with his understand.
I'd almost bet it wasn't just some of the guys that had pre-registered that sold cars for all being the reason they didn't go this weekend.
Some took a look at the weather and decided against it and a bunch more probably said is it worth it to possibly tear up my car with all the cost to be there this weekend.
The racing last night was great but what did it cost the guys that missed the show.
These days I think it's better to spread the money around then have a top heavy payout and the back of the payout does nothing but get those who had a rough night get closer to breaking event.

tsand
12-17-2016, 04:00 PM
This race is no different from the World Finals. 6 bucks for a twenty once coke 8 bucks for a hot dog. 100+ for a three dayticket yet race is still sold out every year. Even at these prices it's still a better value than most entertainment. As far as length of races we had a new promoter take over a local track he streamlined the program races were over by 10:30 then people started complaining the races were over too early.

WisWildManFan
12-17-2016, 04:32 PM
Coming from a guy who has canceled several Friday shows of a 2 day event after seeing low attendance. Keep preaching ab how u love hillary and watch ur schedule get shorter ya fat midget

ptown
12-17-2016, 04:36 PM
Coming from a guy who has canceled several Friday shows of a 2 day event after seeing low attendance. Keep preaching ab how u love hillary and watch ur schedule get shorter ya fat midget

lololololol

MUD MAESTRO
12-17-2016, 04:45 PM
Chill out people ..... It's easy to understand where Izzo is coming from. Fans bitch and complain about promoters constantly, Ive done it too.
I passed on the St Louis event because of the potential of problems we all complain about. I did see the Dirt on Dirt replay of the event and had to laugh at the racing media......Ben said, " I'm not saying its a crown jewel" yeah Ben, the track is rough, cars torn up, lots of down time and high prices at every turn...... Right Ben, I'll be sure to attend Saturday...... Tony don't be frustrated, keep up the good work. I enjoy coming to La Salle.

intel8
12-17-2016, 04:53 PM
Izzo needs the chill pill! Like Wildman said, he's the first to pull the plug if he thinks he'll lose a dime!

ImCryn2
12-17-2016, 05:17 PM
It's not so much about making money as it is being a novelty and how having more races like it have to some extent kept fans at home and now they just save their money for those races instead of going to the weekly races and help keep the track open.
People like Tony look at the big picture.
Take a look from his vantage point and you just might have a better picture of what he is try to point out and get across.
Sometimes racers can be their own worst enemy.
I can tell from some of the post some don't understand what he is saying.
A smart promoter and one that cares will keep trying even when the going gets tough.
Going sit down and have a word with him and understand his views before you bash him.
I think most racers will agree with him.
The 2 guys I help out and some of my close agree with his understand.
I'd almost bet it wasn't just some of the guys that had pre-registered that sold cars for all being the reason they didn't go this weekend.
Some took a look at the weather and decided against it and a bunch more probably said is it worth it to possibly tear up my car with all the cost to be there this weekend.
The racing last night was great but what did it cost the guys that missed the show.
These days I think it's better to spread the money around then have a top heavy payout and the back of the payout does nothing but get those who had a rough night get closer to breaking event.

I'll start off by saying that Tony Izzo has no right to complain about someone who puts on a big race and pockets the money. Tony sold out his long time weekly competitors so he could make more $. As far as the fans saving their money and staying home from the weekly show so they can attend the big shows, Tony was a part of that also. They have put on big late model races for years and have taken the weekly fan from other tracks that saved their money to go to the LaSalle race, he didnt care then!! Special events PERIOD have ruined the weekly tracks, it has nothing to do with "novelty" events.
As far as sitting down and discussing things with Tony, there is no discussing anything with that man. If you actually knew him I wouldn't have to tell you that.

Tony has only 2 real issues with this race:

1) He's not making the money from it.
2) He does not like Cody.

That's it

Cardirt0
12-17-2016, 08:09 PM
Just like the guy that said i make the best dam horse whip in the world .. Dont mean a thing when no one makes a horse buggy no more...It on its way that there will be 3 tracks that run lates in each state and them being mostly the ones to get the big shows.. the rest that stay open will run mods and SS and 1 or 2 other class...Nascar killed the small tracks and now it happen to dirt Lates.....

WisWildManFan
12-17-2016, 09:20 PM
Enjoyable time at dome tony... Love ur track but ur views are skewed way too much for average fan. I don't have a FB cuz I'm scared of getting hammed up and posting true thoughts... Quit drinking or we will all drive past and go to fals

calverton
12-17-2016, 11:51 PM
maybe Mr TONY should try this kinda a thing next how about it tony, that being that event took alot of work to pull it off now comes the fun part to clean the place up

Necrosis
12-18-2016, 06:15 AM
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

3 wide
12-18-2016, 06:58 AM
Well he is right about a lot of things running all night long being the biggest this has killed a lot of tracks as far as saturday night racing pay a decent purse get your race track right and the cars and fans will come most tracks want to pay what they were paying 15 to 20 years ago that want get it now days you have to put on a show to get people to come.

bullring
12-18-2016, 08:33 AM

Don't you remember? The track was moving was why they cancelled.

cgrace
12-18-2016, 11:15 AM
just a thought wasn't the Dream or World a novelty at one point? also agree with poster long long weekly shows hurt tracks.

ClampedUp
12-18-2016, 11:38 AM
just a thought wasn't the Dream or World a novelty at one point? also agree with poster long long weekly shows hurt tracks.

The Chili Bowl was a novelty at one time too.
Look at it now......

427c.i.
12-18-2016, 11:38 AM
Gimmick, novelty, whatever. It was racing in December, hanging out with my friends and having an enjoyable time!
The racing was what it was, reminded me of Macon. You know there's gonna be lots of cautions until the herd gets thinned down a bit, then it's game on.
The feature Friday was great. Saturday was good... I've seen way worse.

As with any first time venture, I'm sure there will be things that will be done different next time but there were many things I thought they did very well.

I hope the promoter made a killing and this event grows into something even bigger and better!! A big thanks to all that made this event happen!!

cutman
12-18-2016, 11:40 AM
I'll start off by saying that Tony Izzo has no right to complain about someone who puts on a big race and pockets the money. Tony sold out his long time weekly competitors so he could make more $. As far as the fans saving their money and staying home from the weekly show so they can attend the big shows, Tony was a part of that also. They have put on big late model races for years and have taken the weekly fan from other tracks that saved their money to go to the LaSalle race, he didnt care then!! Special events PERIOD have ruined the weekly tracks, it has nothing to do with "novelty" events.
As far as sitting down and discussing things with Tony, there is no discussing anything with that man. If you actually knew him I wouldn't have to tell you that.

Tony has only 2 real issues with this race:

1) He's not making the money from it.
2) He does not like Cody.

That's it

3) He was probably drunk

Necrosis
12-18-2016, 02:09 PM
I heard Izzo has obtained a large sponsor for his point fund next year... From Smucker's. That nigg@ jelly.

ptown
12-18-2016, 02:19 PM
I heard Izzo has obtained a large sponsor for his point fund next year... From Smucker's. That nigg@ jelly.

Classy.....

calverton
12-18-2016, 02:34 PM
plus a stadium got some use this weekend after the Sorry azz Rams left town and still can't win a game

HoosierDirtFan
12-18-2016, 02:53 PM
Let me ask you all this.
Remember all the hype around the races at Bristol it was going to change are sport forever. What happen?
I can see some still don't get it an never will.
- - -
How many of you still support your local tracks during weekly shows (The 2 or 3 track with in your area) and not just go to big races when ever one is in the area?
Not trying to fight; just asking..

calverton
12-18-2016, 03:04 PM
I go to 4 tracks in my area less than an hour away all the time and never will stop in fact the one track was helping put on this event there are sometimes I would rather go to the local show over a big show or a combo

calverton
12-18-2016, 03:06 PM
just a thought wasn't the Dream or World a novelty at one point? also agree with poster long long weekly shows hurt tracks. the HBO and Kings royal also

Street 621
12-18-2016, 03:37 PM
Let me ask you all this.
Remember all the hype around the races at Bristol it was going to change are sport forever. What happen?
- - -
How many of you still support your local tracks during weekly shows (The 2 or 3 track with in your area) and not just go to big races when ever one is in the area?

Well,I used to support my local race track. It's 16miles from my shop. But now it only races big paying events that charge me more for a pit pass but without much of a payout increase. So now I travel almost 2hrs or more on a weekend to race at other IL tracks who pay us our winnings at the end of the evening and thank us for coming. Feeling wanted is sometimes just as big of a deal as a racer.

ClampedUp
12-18-2016, 06:16 PM
Let me ask you all this.
- - -

Why is it such an issue with you and this Izzo guy as to why someone puts their own/sponsors money, reputation, and countless hours of work on the line to try and put on a show for the fans and drives in the middle of Winter when it affects zero other tracks or promoters??
By all accounts I've read and people I have talked to they were very pleased with what they saw and are looking forward to going again. Yes they said there were some issues but name me one race or track that has ever been perfect.
I'm guessing there is more to this deal than what is being laid out here.....

ImCryn2
12-18-2016, 06:31 PM
Let me ask you all this.
- - -

LOL. Oh, I get it! Tony has no room to complain about any of this. If you had attended weekly shows there on a regular basis, you'd understand what others are saying.

plunks7
12-18-2016, 07:25 PM
LOL. Oh, I get it! Tony has no room to complain about any of this. If you had attended weekly shows there on a regular basis, you'd understand what others are saying.

I do not attend weekly shows anymore, and that only started happening 3 years ago. When you have a promoter that is a drunk and some of his former helpers run off drivers and fans. I have no intentions to show up. Nothing has changed for the better. One night I remember the promoter decided to run his own tow truck. Sure as heck their was a wreck, he stepped out of the truck and about 8 empty beers cans fell out. Just to save a buck, what a joke. I have seen enough SH!T shows in my life. Time to hit the BIG SHOWS.

HoosierDirtFan
12-18-2016, 07:35 PM
Why is it such an issue with you and this Izzo guy as to why someone puts their own/sponsors money, reputation, and countless hours of work on the line to try and put on a show for the fans and drives in the middle of Winter when it affects zero other tracks or promoters??
By all accounts I've read and people I have talked to they were very pleased with what they saw and are looking forward to going again. Yes they said there were some issues but name me one race or track that has ever been perfect.

It's not an issue. Just happen to see his side of the fence. You would think he is doing what he thinks is best for his track. Can't get close to a full field in the weekly classes there and enough fans in the stands to support it; so he went to a special event type track. If i'm not mistaking there are a few tracks in east Tennessee that run specials only. I'm not bashing the event in St. Louis this past weekend. Just seem I understand his point of view better then others.

HoosierDirtFan
12-18-2016, 07:44 PM

O I have in the past. At least he is trying to keep his track open. What about you support one. I try to support every track in my region which is why I post a lot of upcoming events for them on multiple forums and do what I can to get the word out.. When my travel budget supports it I will travel to other tracks in my area. I will support any owner / track staff who is trying to keep a racing facility open.

intel8
12-18-2016, 08:06 PM
I like the late models, so I don't want to sit through 6-7 classes of cars, travel is the best option. Izzo critical of other promoters? Lol, step-up your game then! At least the food was good at Rockford! Only good thing about that fiasco! Plunks you are 100% right!

calverton
12-18-2016, 09:33 PM
crowd wise for local racing is down everywhere as far as not enough car well when there how many different classes available it kinda thin out the herd there are only so many people that have the resources and talents out there

fryefan
12-18-2016, 10:41 PM

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. You hit the nail squarely on the head. I totally agree with your assessment.

big88fan
12-18-2016, 11:33 PM
Of course it was expensive to get in it's a convention center in downtown stl operated by union labor, of course sheet metal got tore up it's a little bull ring, and of course it took a while to run the show since it was indoor and had to be aired out per EPA rules. It's an indoor race in December gtfo it. Your just pissed off you prolly don't sell that many tickets all season at the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)hole you promote. Last time I was there your hauler needed to be a billy goat just to pit on the unlevel crooked piece of crap you call the pits and we might as well sent the shocks back to integra for a rebuild and ran rancho 9000 shocks on that corn field you called a track.

Bud99
12-19-2016, 06:34 AM
Not trying to be a d!ck head but, I think Lasalle would be a gold mine if the track had different owners. I don't mean to offend anyone but that's the way I see it. There's been to much water under the bridge for this subject to turn around.

Snake X3
12-19-2016, 08:51 AM
I don't think this complaining is ruining anything but some promoters feelings. They have had it their way for a long time. Some of them give us a mediocre event and care less, whether the fan is happy. Since the internet has come along, the fan has a voice and it's too bad if these promoters don't like it. Now that the fan has a voice, he can and will say what they like and what they don't like. The promoters should be happy that they say anything, instead of just walking away.

The complaining about gateway started because people could see the false hype about sell outs and exaggerated car counts starting way too early in the year. They said something about everything but real info. Starting times, Format, how many laps and the tings you should know before you go. Somethings wrong if you can't be forthright in your advertisements. If they where less than up front with those things, what else was wrong and why? I think these complainers are tired of getting less than their moneys worth for the most part. What really irritates them is some spokes person, with a smile on their face, selling a Sows ear for the price of a silk purse.

^^^^ This

But "this" aside, I am really baffled why their is so much controversy over Gateway. I don't get it. Maybe it's because I am just a fan, but it's just another Late Model race to me. So it was in a dome...big deal. So it was in December...big deal. I'm glad they had it...the more racing the better as far as I am concerned, but I don't see what all the fuss is about other than maybe it would introduce the sport to some new fans and I think that even that is a stretch.

I'm much more excited about the Wild West Shootout and all the fuss about Gateway has taken a lot of shine off that event. I think there is such a thing as over-saturation.

I hope the event did well. I'm glad that a lot of people enjoyed the show (that's the important thing). I think Izzo has some valid points, but I seriously doubt Gateway or other events like it really help or hurt the sport very much. To me it was just another race and as a LATE MODEL FAN, it had some good moments, but it was *REALLY* over-hyped.

MEE
12-19-2016, 02:22 PM
snake x3
I agree 100%
I might b getting to old but I didn't think it was great racing.
845 miles round trip-$76
motel $170
food $95
tickets $89
$430
I can go to the world,dream,NS,dtwc for less
and see much better racing.
JMO.
Was my first and last trip there.

Clayton_Wetter
12-19-2016, 04:06 PM
O I have in the past. At least he is trying to keep his track open. What about you support one. I try to support every track in my region which is why I post a lot of upcoming events for them on multiple forums and do what I can to get the word out.. When my travel budget supports it I will travel to other tracks in my area. I will support any owner / track staff who is trying to keep a racing facility open.

Maybe you should mail them all a little check every weekend. Then you would actually be supporting them all in reality. I've seen some zealots in my time but you top them all. :)