PDA

View Full Version : Bert, brinn, reverse starter question.....

LOSTRACER2
01-26-2017, 10:47 AM
I am completely confused... I have a bert bell housing brinn trans. does it matter what flywheel I use? does it need to match the idler gear for the starter that goes in the bell housing, if so how do I figure out what i really need for a flywheel. The starter says winters on it. Thanks from cali...

TheJet-09
01-26-2017, 11:31 AM
I'm not overly experienced in this area, but the flywheel needs to match whatever bell housing you have. The starters are interchangeable from what I see. I have a Bert bell housing/flywheel, but currently use a Quarter Master starter, and have also used a Brinn starter. Both work/worked just fine.

Brian Gray
01-26-2017, 09:27 PM
The idler has to match. The belhousing is identical, but the idler gears need to match the flywheel. One way to identify is most Bert idlers have holes around the gear that contacts the starter gear. The brinn is solid with a lip around it. The starter comes in various varieties and all work with both. The coupler is the same for both transmissions. Just make sure the idler matches Bert with Bert flywheel and brinn with brinn flywheel.