PDA

View Full Version : Timothy Culp/GRT split

cutman
02-23-2017, 02:04 PM
Well, that didn't last long.

Pennsboro23
02-23-2017, 02:16 PM
I didn't figure it would. I think Culp is probably better in his own stuff. IMO, GRT is just a little behind. That car looked horrible.

Josh Bayko
02-23-2017, 02:35 PM
Culp switching to XR1s, too. Must have been a pretty tense week.

Tireguy17
02-23-2017, 02:44 PM
I think he said in Shelton's sidebite on DoD that the car he was in was a 2016. Seriously Joe Garrison.......

huskerdirt
02-23-2017, 03:27 PM
I think he said in Shelton's sidebite on DoD that the car he was in was a 2016. Seriously Joe Garrison.......

I believe the black car is a 2017. The white one is a 2016. The house car deal didn't come together till December, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was running a 2016 car. As much as Culp has played the chassis game with very little success. Maybe it's not Garrisons fault. Culp is no different than Tony Jackson.

I remember the Freddy Smith havatampa series dominance. You have to constantly look for ways to find speed in this game. Do the GRT modifieds compete and run up front?

GRT mods are the cats meow particularly in the IMCA ranks. They seem to win every (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) weekend in my area.

W2Racing09
02-23-2017, 03:38 PM
I didn't figure it would. I think Culp is probably better in his own stuff. IMO, GRT is just a little behind. That car looked horrible.

Hopefully they can get that program pointed back in the right direction. Would love to see a guy like Josh Putnam get an opportunity like that House Car. Culp didn't look awful at the end of the last year in GRT cars so there must be something there to work with.

Thanks,
Jeff.

Phillip Michael Knight
02-23-2017, 05:21 PM
So who would be a good driver for this ride now?

gjohnston
02-23-2017, 05:48 PM
I believe the black car is a 2017. The white one is a 2016. The house car deal didn't come together till December, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was running a 2016 car. As much as Culp has played the chassis game with very little success. Maybe it's not Garrisons fault. Culp is no different than Tony Jackson.

GRT mods are the cats meow particularly in the IMCA ranks. They seem to win every (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) weekend in my area.
GRT makes a good modified but there are so many decent regional manufacturers popping up all over the place. A few years back in my area there were a fair number of GRT's around but now there are none or very few. Razor, Banshee, SSR, and Madman seem to be the ones up front. The last guy to wheel a GRT towards the front destroyed it two years ago and went in a different direction.

Drop Shock
02-23-2017, 06:04 PM

Clint Smith maybe?

KAOS
02-23-2017, 06:11 PM
The 2016 IMCA Modified Champion Jordan Grabouski was in a GRT. They should give him a shot he made the big show at Silver Dollar Nationals two year ago in Jason Krohn's stuff,and Im not sure if that was his first time in a late model or not.

Flathead
02-23-2017, 06:53 PM
I believe you will see Wendell Wallace and Joe back together soon. Culp is just another Tony Jackson Jr. he's more worried about strutting around the pits looking cool than he is being a car racer. I really can't believe his father in law hasn't pulled the plug he's a really nice guy spending way too much money switching chassis every other month trying to find the magic.

big88fan
02-23-2017, 08:58 PM
First off this Grt "house car ride" is basically Grt gives you a chassis to use and that's it. No motors, no hauler, no financial support other than a chassis. While a free chassis is nice, it's funny to hear people say house car ride like it's all Grt's stuff and a huge loss to lose it.

george w
02-23-2017, 09:15 PM
Culp got that grt in the world' 100 lsst year when was the last time that happened? Terry phillips possibly?

powerslide
02-23-2017, 09:41 PM

They run well in IMCA cause the frame mounting locations are moved/cheated up. They got busted for it once but i'm pretty sure they are back at it again. GRT is a huge gimmick seller, every week something "new" and "trick" they are trying to sell you. Last person i saw go fast in a late model was Randy Weaver.

Snake X3
02-23-2017, 10:39 PM

Jared Landers? They're in Arkansas, right?

W2Racing09
02-23-2017, 10:42 PM
Jared Landers? They're in Arkansas, right?

Didn't think about that -- he would be about the best free agent driver out there right now to plug in. Whether Jared wants to drive a GRT though...

Thanks,
Jeff.

cutman
02-24-2017, 03:54 AM
Didn't think about that -- he would be about the best free agent driver out there right now to plug in. Whether Jared wants to drive a GRT though...

Thanks,
Jeff.

With dad cutting Jared off, not sure he can provide all the extras for the "house" car.

Highside Hustler25
02-24-2017, 06:07 AM
First off this Grt "house car ride" is basically Grt gives you a chassis to use and that's it. No motors, no hauler, no financial support other than a chassis. While a free chassis is nice, it's funny to hear people say house car ride like it's all Grt's stuff and a huge loss to lose it.

Ditto. Culp brought everything to the table other than 1 chassis. I'm surprised they made this decision based off of the results from Florida. Lot of guys struggle down there.

GRT62
02-24-2017, 06:30 AM
I may have a bad memory but I don't recall culp chassis jumping. He was in a pierce car for quite a while that he won several big regional races in along with 2 gumbo nationals and the pelican. He is good friends with Tyler Erb so I cant say im real surprised to see him got to the XR1 after how strong Erb has been at speedweeks.

zyoung25
02-24-2017, 06:46 AM
I may have a bad memory but I don't recall culp chassis jumping. He was in a pierce car for quite a while that he won several big regional races in along with 2 gumbo nationals and the pelican. He is good friends with Tyler Erb so I cant say im real surprised to see him got to the XR1 after how strong Erb has been at speedweeks.

Exactly what I thought when I seen this. He did have a black diamond around about the time Erb had his, and only ran it a few times then sold it. He had it and the pierce car at the same time, then later got a pierce platinum car after the black diamond sold.

Best of luck to Timmy this year. I look for him to be better in the rocket.

Phillip Michael Knight
02-24-2017, 12:10 PM
I don't know how this would work out but what does everybody think about putting Chris Ferguson in the GRT house car? If anybody can put GRT back on the map it is him.

Josh Bayko
02-24-2017, 12:29 PM
I don't know how this would work out but what does everybody think about putting Chris Ferguson in the GRT house car? If anybody can put GRT back on the map it is him.

I don't think Chris would want that ride.

Kwd1253
02-24-2017, 02:18 PM
Stick a fork in it and consider it done. That was nothing more than a waste of time and money.....

Not being smart ass when ask this. Who time and moneyou? Like hear your thoughts on this one.

rc24
02-24-2017, 03:24 PM
OMG, proof read!

ReignMan23
02-24-2017, 03:47 PM
KWD, you should try that once more. What now? I think you are asking who's time and who's money was wasted.
Am I in the ballpark?

harborfreighthero
02-24-2017, 05:12 PM
They run well in IMCA cause the frame mounting locations are moved/cheated up. They got busted for it once but i'm pretty sure they are back at it again. GRT is a huge gimmick seller, every week something "new" and "trick" they are trying to sell you. Last person i saw go fast in a late model was Randy Weaver.

Care to explain? If they are back at it how haven't they been caught this time? Just curious not calling bull(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)

davis2902
02-24-2017, 05:58 PM
GRT should just buy an XR1 and copy it then they will be up to speed.

Kwd1253
02-24-2017, 08:01 PM
KWD, you should try that once more. What now? I think you are asking who's time and who's money was wasted.
Am I in the ballpark?

Yes spot on lol sorry was at work was typing and wipe in the other hand.

A waste of time and money from both parties as well as sponsor money. Look how much it cost just to go to Speedweeks. All trying to resurrect the dead (GRT). They are as far behind as Rayburn is. You don't catch up with just 1 team and dang sure won't do it in a few short months. I know they want to sell some cars. That's all good but its not "just" the chassis. It's shocks, springs, front end geometry, and a list of other things. Go to the track with lots of help, tires and your shock guy. Test, test, test, test, test. Go back to the shop if the car isn't right. Move some 4 bar brackets for instance. Change the front end. Go to the track and test, test, test, test. Then test some more. Do you get my drift. KWD. They can stick to the Mods and will be just fine. They are making plenty of cars. I'm not knocking either party. I know them both. It's a shame it didn't work. But for someone on the outside looking in and being around this a day or 2, many of us knew it was a bust from the start. Simply because of what it takes to make these cars fast. It takes a he11 of a lot of time and hard work...........

Again. Stick a fork in it. It's done.....

Thanks for sharing, that let see the whole picture then what I was looking at. Trying wrap my head around why can't Joe put a top-notch late model chassis like GRT once did. Is it they can't get good engineer to redesign the classic mechanic to balance everything out and simplify for race team understand how setup the car. Or is Joe to hard headed and stuck in the pass to make the right mechanic changes to have a top-notch chassis like they once had before?

blncfn57
02-25-2017, 07:37 AM
A waste of time and money from both parties as well as sponsor money. Look how much it cost just to go to Speedweeks. All trying to resurrect the dead (GRT). They are as far behind as Rayburn is. You don't catch up with just 1 team and dang sure won't do it in a few short months. I know they want to sell some cars. That's all good but its not "just" the chassis. It's shocks, springs, front end geometry, and a list of other things. Go to the track with lots of help, tires and your shock guy. Test, test, test, test, test. Go back to the shop if the car isn't right. Move some 4 bar brackets for instance. Change the front end. Go to the track and test, test, test, test. Then test some more. Do you get my drift. KWD. They can stick to the Mods and will be just fine. They are making plenty of cars. I'm not knocking either party. I know them both. It's a shame it didn't work. But for someone on the outside looking in and being around this a day or 2, many of us knew it was a bust from the start. Simply because of what it takes to make these cars fast. It takes a he11 of a lot of time and hard work...........

Again. Stick a fork in it. It's done.....

It's all about the money. If Joe wanted to spend millions upon millions, he could be on top again..... just as anyone else could.

race14
02-25-2017, 07:52 AM
Someone had mentioned Jared Landers I was wondering where he has been what happened with him ?

big88fan
02-25-2017, 11:20 AM
I've seen culp selling some 18* motors. If that's what they have been trying to run in these open tire races that's probly a huge part of the issue as well.