PDA

View Full Version : Limit chain

RCJ
02-28-2017, 07:00 AM
What are everyone thoughts on running a spring ,bump stop or some thing else in the limit chain vs. nothing?

a25rjr
02-28-2017, 02:15 PM
Got to look over a brand new 2017 Rocket last week. It had the chain with 2 bump rubbers.

fwiw....no one will be able to copy that Keyser built upper control arm mount!

Renegade Cust Susp
02-28-2017, 03:01 PM
What are everyone thoughts on running a spring ,bump stop or some thing else in the limit chain vs. nothing?

Nothing/just chain will hit and unload LR tire, some very cool pieces coming out of Earnhardt Technologies Group (gas,spring,or rubber) limiters, very nice pieces. If you interested in info let me know as I am a dealer.

a25rjr
02-28-2017, 04:11 PM
Nothing/just chain will hit and unload LR tire, some very cool pieces coming out of Earnhardt Technologies Group (gas,spring,or rubber) limiters, very nice pieces. If you interested in info let me know as I am a dealer.

What kind of reviews have your customers given those?

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-28-2017, 05:21 PM

I have no idea how the gas can be legal.

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-28-2017, 05:24 PM

If you can do it without causing oscillating of the rear axle.

a25rjr
02-28-2017, 07:13 PM
Saw a couple top tier teams not running one during speedweeks.

RCJ
02-28-2017, 09:09 PM
I thought gas/hydraulic would be best and I thought they were illegal also.Would a Cot style bump stop have less oscillations than a spring?The last club 29 I looked at was using the underslug with what looked like an adjustable rubber bumper.

Renegade Cust Susp
02-28-2017, 09:21 PM
I have no idea how the gas can be legal.

From my understanding the unified rules only specify a verticals drop limiter above the axle to hold drop. And it has to be a single chain, beyond that the rules do not say anything specific about construction of the droop limiting chain.

Not saying my interpretation is 100% correct.

Renegade Cust Susp
02-28-2017, 09:27 PM
What kind of reviews have your customers given those?

Specific to my customers I can't say I have a whole lot of feedback, new components just unveiled at PRI in December. However I know ETG has been working with the 116 of Overton and a few others this season, and did their R&D last season with a few top teams.

stock car driver
03-01-2017, 07:54 AM
If it says one droop limiting chain then that would mean a CHAIN only to me, no other contraptions in between....

If more was legal it would say droop limiting chain and device or chain and $$$

MasterSbilt_Racer
03-01-2017, 08:41 AM
Gas is a fluid. If you have a piston and a fluid, you have a shock. You are not allowed a shock on the limiter.

powerslide
03-01-2017, 10:10 AM
Saw a couple top tier teams not running one during speedweeks.

Does this mean they have figured out how to build it inside of the shock so as to not need the outside chain? What brand of shocks were they on?

TheJet-09
03-01-2017, 11:16 AM
Or were they underslung chassis'?

MasterSbilt_Racer
03-01-2017, 11:55 AM
Does this mean they have figured out how to build it inside of the shock so as to not need the outside chain? What brand of shocks were they on?

I don't think it would be that difficult to put a bumpstop in a shock and have it not harm the piston.

Kromulous
03-01-2017, 12:48 PM
Why do you need one, if you can get the LR to Travel 15 plus inches? The RF maxed out is gonna stop it before the chain ever will. I think that's the theory on no chain.

MasterSbilt_Racer
03-01-2017, 02:13 PM
Why do you need one, if you can get the LR to Travel 15 plus inches? The RF maxed out is gonna stop it before the chain ever will. I think that's the theory on no chain.
Once you have all that bar angle, it is going to go on until something tops out.

GRT62
03-01-2017, 03:01 PM
Broke a chain mount one night and it over indexed the bars and tore a bunch of stuff up. RF pinned down definitely didn't stop it from climbing the bars.

fastford
03-01-2017, 04:11 PM
i have not used a chain since we got on the under slung frames now , but i made a bump stop type thing to go on the under slung frame that can be adjusted to control hike like a chain, is that legal?

Matt49
03-01-2017, 05:17 PM
Broke a chain mount one night and it over indexed the bars and tore a bunch of stuff up. RF pinned down definitely didn't stop it from climbing the bars.

Let me guess...bent bird cage ears, busted transmission seal. Been there done that. I've considered running a "backup" chain and keeping it about 1/2 longer. I'm personally not worried about what the rules say until somebody actually techs my car.

a25rjr
03-01-2017, 06:27 PM
I don't think it would be that difficult to put a bumpstop in a shock and have it not harm the piston.

I was thinking the same. Both cars had Penskes and were underslung.

Renegade Cust Susp
03-01-2017, 09:13 PM
Gas is a fluid. If you have a piston and a fluid, you have a shock. You are not allowed a shock on the limiter.

Gas is a fluid, however it is not a liquid. There's a huge difference in the states of matter.
Oil used in a shock absorber is a liquid.

The "gas" limiters will function properly on dry shop air, they do not require nitrogen per information I have been supplied.

Renegade Cust Susp
03-01-2017, 09:15 PM
If it says one droop limiting chain then that would mean a CHAIN only to me, no other contraptions in between....

If more was legal it would say droop limiting chain and device or chain and $$$

So if a rule book says, A brand of fuel (gasoline) is legal does that mean methanol/alcohol is inherently illegal? That logic is a little off base

Renegade Cust Susp
03-01-2017, 09:17 PM

Not hard at all as long as the shock components are robust enough

95rayburn
03-01-2017, 09:23 PM
So if you have a under slung chassis you don't need to run the chain?

Matt49
03-01-2017, 10:15 PM
So if you have a under slung chassis you don't need to run the chain?

Only if you want the under rail to be the limiting factor. Best to run something adjustable (chain limiter or shims/bumps on under rail). LR travel is a pretty noticeable adjustment to those who use it.

MasterSbilt_Racer
03-02-2017, 04:40 AM
Gas is a fluid, however it is not a liquid. There's a huge difference in the states of matter.
Oil used in a shock absorber is a liquid.

The "gas" limiters will function properly on dry shop air, they do not require nitrogen per information I have been supplied.
All fluids have a viscosity. Including all gasses. You can make a shock with zero liquid inside.

RCJ
03-02-2017, 07:00 AM
I remember Bloomer having to take a devise apart and show that there was nothing inside of it.I wonder if there was just no fluid in it?

GRT62
03-02-2017, 07:37 AM
Let me guess...bent bird cage ears, busted transmission seal. Been there done that. I've considered running a "backup" chain and keeping it about 1/2 longer. I'm personally not worried about what the rules say until somebody actually techs my car. Exactly what happened actually cracked the ears at the front of the mount. You better have something to stop the indexing force weather it be and under slung or a chain. I have another question also I've seen the Earnhardt technologies pieces, and I'm aware they offer one gas or you can get it with a spring. I thought we determined years ago that you need a positive stop for consistency, chain is going to stop in the same place everytime. Can this be said about these pieces ETG. has developed?

billetbirdcage
03-02-2017, 01:32 PM
I thought we determined years ago that you need a positive stop for consistency, chain is going to stop in the same place everytime. Can this be said about these pieces ETG. has developed?

There is a difference in slowing/dampening the travel just before the limit and using something like a spring that can/will pull the car down and let it lift back up (pogo'ing) with a slight change in LR traction like driving across a slick spot. The less dampened or softer spring rate used with increase the chance of this happening and likely hurt the car way more then anything you will gain.

Now do some of these devises work, some do and some don't and some are legal and some aren't depending on where or what you race. Sadly your going to have to test it yourselves.

billetbirdcage
03-02-2017, 01:34 PM
I remember Bloomer having to take a devise apart and show that there was nothing inside of it.I wonder if there was just no fluid in it?

There was no fluid in it, thus the reason it was deemed legal by lucas oil. Least at atomic (IIRC) where it was taken apart by Lucas officials.

Renegade Cust Susp
03-02-2017, 02:46 PM
All fluids have a viscosity. Including all gasses. You can make a shock with zero liquid inside.

In the way that you are using shock (absorber) you are correct, technically anything that physically dampens force is a shock.

Hadn't gotten this in depth into the engineering of the components yet, however a gas will gain viscosity as it heats up, and viscosity of it will also change under pressure. Interesting direction, all be it probably not enough to directly effect much.....hmmm

MasterSbilt_Racer
03-02-2017, 03:28 PM
In the way that you are using shock (absorber) you are correct, technically anything that physically dampens force is a shock.

Hadn't gotten this in depth into the engineering of the components yet, however a gas will gain viscosity as it heats up, and viscosity of it will also change under pressure. Interesting direction, all be it probably not enough to directly effect much.....hmmm

It would take very small passages, obviously. And aircraft quality seals to survive without lubrication, but very doable. My point is that since the sanctioning bodies became scared of the boogeyman they wrote a giant rulebook they can't enforce. By allowing closed-tube type limiters, they can allow a lot of things to happen out of sight. If no closed tubes were allowed, an eyeball inspection would suffice. It could work and be disassembled and have no fluid. That would fool most inspectors. I hope Penske sends me one when they take my idea. Only fair...