PDA

View Full Version : POLL Late Model track or any track that ran them as a special you wish was still open

HoosierDirtFan
03-07-2017, 04:13 PM
Just a bit different then the other POLL
Late Model track or track that ran them as a special you wish was still open?
If you choose other name the track...

Barbecueboy
03-07-2017, 04:19 PM
Log cabin

Or

Riverside.....sc

bleedblue55
03-07-2017, 04:27 PM
Motordrome, Pa. for the Summer Sizzlers. Still there and for sale, but it died for me when they paved it 25 or so yrs. ago. Also W.Va. Motor Speedway in it's original layout, not the shorter version.

badacefaist19
03-07-2017, 05:05 PM
Other- Cleveland, Golden Mountain (TN), Columbus MS for big races

Chris Thomason
03-07-2017, 05:14 PM
Atomic had to be awesome from what Ive seen on YouTube and read here. Never could get pops to take me and closed up before I could drive myself.

Highside Hustler25
03-07-2017, 05:25 PM
Springfield Mile @ the Illinois State Fairgrounds.

STRONGERTHANDIRT
03-07-2017, 05:38 PM
Paducah International Raceway.

Late_Model_Mark
03-07-2017, 06:33 PM
A modern day Late Model race at the legendary ASCOT PARK in California would have been epic! As one who saw more than 150 races at that Gardena, California oval, it would have been ultra stellar. Still to this day. 27 years later, it had the best surface I've seen of all time in my 53 years of racing due to the weather, track prep, and close proximity to the Pacific Ocean. Ascot Park was an amazing track that ran Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

Late Model Mark
Talladega Short Track Announcer

ftfiowa
03-07-2017, 08:03 PM
I-70 Odessa mo., the greatest dirt track of all time!

Cardirt0
03-07-2017, 08:10 PM
Santa Fe Speedway... Some of the best races i ever seen were there.. I Miss that place If you did not see a race there you missed something great....

Cardirt0
03-07-2017, 08:11 PM
Springfield Mile @ the Illinois State Fairgrounds.

But they still race cars there .. its not closed

dirtcrazy4u
03-07-2017, 08:37 PM
If you add up and talk about all "the great speedways" that are gone in western pa alone you would have 1 hell of a list. Challenger, stupidness and alcohol. Motordrome, dying a slow death, covered by asphalt.Schmuckers/Latrobe, poor promotionHickory, a drivers untimely deathClearfield, same fate as motordromeWinber, ???Knox, ???If you wonder how many race teams have called it quits, just remember, it was not that long ago that all these tracks were open.

Clayton_Wetter
03-07-2017, 09:11 PM
Barren County Speedway Kentucky. At one time the best track I've ever been to.

racingumpire
03-07-2017, 09:42 PM
Hey Clayton, lets not forget about Central Park in Mchenry,Ky or Taylor Co. Speedway back in their heyday.Agree on Barren Co. with you too!!!! All were great to see big shows on.

Highside Hustler25
03-07-2017, 09:44 PM
But they still race cars there .. its not closed

I won't waste my time debating anything with you but since you had to quote me, go get in line at the ticket window and buy ya a ticket to the next DIRT LATE MODEL event there.:rolleyes:

Cardirt0
03-07-2017, 10:12 PM
I won't waste my time debating anything with you but since you had to quote me, go get in line at the ticket window and buy ya a ticket to the next DIRT LATE MODEL event there.:rolleyes:
So your wright .. Sorry i pi$$ you off.. My bad but they still open and there is some that say they my race dirt late there agen so.. When there is a change you cant say they are DONE...Yes it did say Late Models but it all so said CLOSED and they are not closed...

Josh Bayko
03-07-2017, 10:51 PM
Syracuse. Sure, the racing was generally pretty crappy, but 44 big blocks with special bodies and schemes coming to the green on Sunday of SDW was always a sight to behold.

callmez
03-07-2017, 11:03 PM
I voted 'other' for nostalgia, Hawkeye Downs Speedway in Cedar Rapids, Iowa -- paved in the late '80s. Fell in love with dirt track racing there and boy did they draw some great drivers on a weekly basis. But what I wouldn't give to have Atomic (TN) back, it's painful to drive past the old site on I40 and remember what it was like.

latemodeljunkie
03-07-2017, 11:06 PM
what about Pennsboro

Bubstr
03-08-2017, 09:33 AM
Freeport Il, A long drive home on Sunday nights, but worth it. The best thing about it was you seen different drivers. The best from Iowa Peoria, Chicago and Wisconsin. Lack of places to run on Sunday brought the best there.

Bubstr
03-08-2017, 09:42 AM
I voted 'other' for nostalgia, Hawkeye Downs Speedway in Cedar Rapids, Iowa -- paved in the late '80s. Fell in love with dirt track racing there and boy did they draw some great drivers on a weekly basis. But what I wouldn't give to have Atomic (TN) back, it's painful to drive past the old site on I40 and remember what it was like.

It's a shame they paved Hawkeye Downs. Saturday nights where never the same. Anyone remember when they only ran flatheads and six cylinders on the 1/4 mile, inside the big track

Babbfan
03-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Voted Other - Shepp's Speedway Alexander Illinois. Saw some (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) good Late Model races there!

B_K
03-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Atomic by a lot then North Alabama.

formercrewguy
03-08-2017, 01:43 PM
Manzanita in Phoenix.

Clayton_Wetter
03-08-2017, 05:48 PM
Hey Clayton, lets not forget about Central Park in Mchenry,Ky or Taylor Co. Speedway back in their heyday.Agree on Barren Co. with you too!!!! All were great to see big shows on.

I really liked Central Park and Taylor County also now that you mention them. Seen great racing at both of them. Even when McHenry shortened the track it was good.

Was at McHenry one night and a transformer caught on fire. Was you there?

dirtyboy
03-08-2017, 08:56 PM

Agreed 100%

racingumpire
03-08-2017, 11:22 PM
I really liked Central Park and Taylor County also now that you mention them. Seen great racing at both of them. Even when McHenry shortened the track it was good.

Was at McHenry one night and a transformer caught on fire. Was you there?
Been a long time since they raced,don't remember for sure. I mostly went to the bigger money shows. I'm like you,I enjoyed both size tracks.Thought the racing was more flat foot or all out with the shorter track.Always wondered how no cars ever went over the 3&4 guardrail.Always seemed like perfect place for that to happen.Were rumours of opening back up a couple years ago.