PDA

View Full Version : Ben Shelton whining again about social media

ptown
03-12-2017, 02:17 PM
It's ok Ben some day everyone will love you.

http://www.onedirt.com/news/create-your-fate/

reid boys
03-12-2017, 02:59 PM
He is 100% right in my book.

Highside Hustler25
03-12-2017, 03:09 PM
Agree with everything he said.

B_K
03-12-2017, 03:32 PM
To thine own self be true.

Or as we like to say, "fu$@ what everybody else thinks".

chupp n bloomer fan
03-12-2017, 03:45 PM
Very well written, and well said. Spot on, honest, from the heart, true stuff.

I struggle at this very moment with changing who I work for. I'm at an asphalt plant now and run a nice newer 980M loader. I work wayyy too many hours with not enough days off, no paid vacation, no paid holidays, sometimes day shift, sometimes night. But, it's beyond steady work with a one month lay off, and no traveling. Half an hour from the house. I don't wanna leave really for money, just wanna have a life. Most of the other options, doing what I love, working on a utility crew, it equals traveling, and not as steady work, therefore, not as steady pay.

So him reaching out, telling you to take chances, don't listen to the BS outside noise and negativity, hits home.

I thank you Ben and I think it's an excellent piece. Glad you learned to get rid of the dead weight and to not listen to people's BS.

chupp n bloomer fan
03-12-2017, 03:47 PM

Or as we like to say, "fu$@ what everybody else thinks".Yep BK....

chupp n bloomer fan
03-12-2017, 03:48 PM

http://www.onedirt.com/news/create-your-fate/Holy sh!t. That whole article and that's what you got out of it? You are just one special person.

dirtcrazy4u
03-12-2017, 04:24 PM
Dude had big peanuts to leave a job of 10yrs. I to left a good paying union job because my fellow workers just hated there jobs. I went on my own for 30+yrs to reach retirement. Was there struggles ? You better believe it. Do I regret it, NO. I regret losing my wife, that's what real life is. Peruse your dreams if at all possible I say. Maybe some are just jealous.

NormP
03-12-2017, 05:29 PM

Or as we like to say, "fu$@ what everybody else thinks".

Yep, I've lived with that in mind my entire adult life.

Dude had big peanuts to leave a job of 10yrs. I to left a good paying union job because my fellow workers just hated there jobs. I went on my own for 30+yrs to reach retirement. Was there struggles ? You better believe it. Do I regret it, NO. I regret losing my wife, that's what real life is. Peruse your dreams if at all possible I say. Maybe some are just jealous.

Very true. I'm getting too old to do what I do even though I love my job, and there are other things I want to do where I'm my own boss, but there's a lot to consider when you have a wife and kid and mortgage and other obligations. Have to weigh out the risk vs. reward.

But you never know till you try, and I get closer to that each day.

And count me as one of the ones that likes Ben Shelton. He seems like a genuine nice guy.

zyoung25
03-12-2017, 06:09 PM
I love it when someone comes on a public forum and hide behind a screen name to talk bad about another person.

fryefan
03-12-2017, 07:26 PM

He hit the nail squarely on the head. Great article by Ben.

crow
03-12-2017, 09:11 PM
You tell 'em Ben. Words to live by, and congrats on accomplishing your goal.

Josh Bayko
03-12-2017, 09:18 PM
I'm not a fan of his announcing, but he's a solid writer and interviewer.

dirtdobber45
03-12-2017, 09:34 PM
Dam good article Ben

highgroove
03-12-2017, 09:58 PM
He is 500 % correct and l do not understand why 4m puts up with the a$$holes on this forum.

kidrock
03-12-2017, 11:24 PM
Good article Ben. You are doing what you love and not to many people get to do that.

LeafMaster41
03-12-2017, 11:56 PM

I know exactly what he means, it is a tough thing to let go of the known and reach for the unknown... But the things that helped me most were, first my faith in God, second was my wonderfully supportive wife and third were those jeers you get from the ones who think you're foolish. Something else that made me be able to step out was the experience in having the supposedly, "known and stable" ripped from under my feet several times in buy-outs, down-sizing and layoffs. After having experienced all 3 in a few times in my career I realised what most people view as stable and dependable, can be more unpredictable and vicious than going it on your own. Working for someone else you don't usually get to see it coming, in my case they kept telling us everything was great, not to worry and then when they were all set, lowered the boom. After one buy-out they even went thru the charade of discussing what our benefits would be, our new pay scale. In less than a month they dropped us all like a hot rock once we'd showed them what they wanted. My advice to the young, never be a "Company Man", do your job right to the best of your ability, but keep your eyes open and never believe what's too good to be true.

chupp n bloomer fan
03-13-2017, 03:52 AM
I know exactly what he means, it is a tough thing to let go of the known and reach for the unknown... But the things that helped me most were, first my faith in God, second was my wonderfully supportive wife and third were those jeers you get from the ones who think you're foolish. Something else that made me be able to step out was the experience in having the supposedly, "known and stable" ripped from under my feet several times in buy-outs, down-sizing and layoffs. After having experienced all 3 in a few times in my career I realised what most people view as stable and dependable, can be more unpredictable and vicious than going it on your own. Working for someone else you don't usually get to see it coming, in my case they kept telling us everything was great, not to worry and then when they were all set, lowered the boom. After one buy-out they even went thru the charade of discussing what our benefits would be, our new pay scale. In less than a month they dropped us all like a hot rock once we'd showed them what they wanted. My advice to the young, never be a "Company Man", do your job right to the best of your ability, but keep your eyes open and never believe what's too good to be true.Well said.

Too many are "company men" anymore. So afraid of their jobs, and will do anything to keep it. Take pride in your work, but don't throw out your morals and what's right for some company who deep down only cares about $$$$.

chupp n bloomer fan
03-13-2017, 03:53 AM

http://www.onedirt.com/news/create-your-fate/Glad you brought this to our attention, so we can give props to Ben on another finely written piece.;)

Winston_Wolfe
03-13-2017, 09:31 AM
It's a universal truth that demolition is far easier than construction. Whether one is building a home, race car or career, there are those who prefer to tear down what the brave are building rather than taking the risk to build something of their own. Unfortunately, too many people in America these days prefer to take shots at others rather than trying to accomplish something in their own right to achieve self actualization and a feeling of accomplishment. IMHO, it is why "diversity" is now valued over excellence and many espouse "fairness" rather than achievement.Keep on keeping on Mr. Shelton. We all must look at the man in the mirror each morning and answer to him rather than to the legion of the miserable.

BirkyTime15B
03-13-2017, 10:08 PM
Agreed, great article.

TackyTracker
03-13-2017, 10:14 PM
didn't even read the article.. don't really have to because you can tell Ben is in on the sport and really enjoys it...

hucktyson
03-14-2017, 05:04 AM
The bottom line .... is he making as much or more now that he would be in whatever engineering career he had ?? Because if not his ex boss is still laughing ...

B_K
03-14-2017, 05:47 AM
I'm sure they're comfortable and happy. You seem to have missed the entire point of the article. Reading comprehension is not for everyone I suppose.

Spoiler alert, not everyone's happiness is tied to making the absolute maximum amonunt possible.

hucktyson
03-14-2017, 06:17 AM
Spoiler alert .... the purpose of working is to make money. If your working and not making money it's a hobby not a job. Walk into you local PNC branch and tell the girl at the counter how fun your job is and see what she gives you for that. Tell the mortgage company yeah I don't have the money to pay you but I love my job !!!!

TheJet-09
03-14-2017, 08:26 AM
You should always work for something more than just the money. We work to feel a sense of purpose, or to contribute positively to something, if even just a belief. Have you ever volunteered your services? Or helped someone for free? From what I understand of your business Huck (deck builder/construction), I would hope you take a great deal of pride in your work. I would also bet you have not made as much (percentage wise) on one job as you have on others, simply because you took the time or made the effort to go above and beyond, if nothing else because your name is on the product you provide.

I found the timing of this article all too coincidental as I myself am soon leaving the job/profession I have had for the past 9+ years, which is the longest I've ever worked at one place. I also make more money than I have ever made, by far, and most likely will ever make again in my life. But I now know first hand that money does not buy happiness. And this is with no plans for the immediate future, but I am going to take some time for myself and my family and go from there. And I'm not worried one bit, because I have faith and confidence in myself.

chupp n bloomer fan
03-14-2017, 10:25 AM
You should always work for something more than just the money. We work to feel a sense of purpose, or to contribute positively to something, if even just a belief. Have you ever volunteered your services? Or helped someone for free? From what I understand of your business Huck (deck builder/construction), I would hope you take a great deal of pride in your work. I would also bet you have not made as much (percentage wise) on one job as you have on others, simply because you took the time or made the effort to go above and beyond, if nothing else because your name is on the product you provide.

I found the timing of this article all too coincidental as I myself am soon leaving the job/profession I have had for the past 9+ years, which is the longest I've ever worked at one place. I also make more money than I have ever made, by far, and most likely will ever make again in my life. But I now know first hand that money does not buy happiness. And this is with no plans for the immediate future, but I am going to take some time for myself and my family and go from there. And I'm not worried one bit, because I have faith and confidence in myself.Very well said. Yeah you work to make money, but you're right. You have to have some satisfaction and pride in your job and get a long with your co workers.

But the whole point of the article as you said has nothing to do with money. It was following a dream. And depending on your home life, you can take more chances. With a wife and two kids, there's less chances you can take. But at times we gotta leap.

B_K
03-14-2017, 12:38 PM
Spoiler alert .... the purpose of working is to make money. If your working and not making money it's a hobby not a job. Walk into you local PNC branch and tell the girl at the counter how fun your job is and see what she gives you for that. Tell the mortgage company yeah I don't have the money to pay you but I love my job !!!!

Maybe he should have written it in crayon or at the bottom of a consy lineup so you could grasp it. Yes you work to make money. He never said he works as a volunteer. It's like this, hypothetically let's say you build decks for a living. One job is building an addition to the deck of the playboy mansion where the girls lay out topless. The other is building one for John Travolta, and you have to give him a massage everyday. Option one pays 10% less. Ben chooses that one and you get to go home limping a little after picking option 2 because it pays more. Everybody is happy right?

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
03-14-2017, 01:07 PM
Maybe he should have written it in crayon or at the bottom of a consy lineup so you could grasp it. Yes you work to make money. He never said he works as a volunteer. It's like this, hypothetically let's say you build decks for a living. One job is building an addition to the deck of the playboy mansion where the girls lay out topless. The other is building one for John Travolta, and you have to give him a massage everyday. Option one pays 10% less. Ben chooses that one and you get to go home limping a little after picking option 2. Everybody is happy right?

Im picking option 1 he!! I'll do it for 15% less. Lol

KAOS
03-14-2017, 01:32 PM
A great deal of talent is lost to the world for want of a little courage. Every day sends to their graves obscure men whose timidity prevented them from making a first effort. -Sydney Smith

plunks7
03-15-2017, 02:53 PM
I enjoyed the article. Ben plain and simply made a opinion on his behalf. The times I have talked to Ben were some of the best time speaking to someone!!!! I enjoy his announcing and interviews with drivers and FANS. Step up to him and you will have a very civil conversation. Try it!!!! Very nice guy to be around.

JimBo
03-16-2017, 08:03 PM
Right on Ben Shelton!

Barbecueboy
03-16-2017, 11:07 PM
I'm not a homer, but how the heck can anybody not like Ben?

Did I miss something?

pink floyd
03-17-2017, 05:02 AM
he's always been to busy for rose and I, but we will keep trying to have a conversation with him. i'm sure he is a nice guy to speak to.

COKEandaSMILE
03-17-2017, 06:34 AM
Maybe he should have written it in crayon or at the bottom of a consy lineup so you could grasp it.

Bravo! Too funny