PDA

View Full Version : "Cherry pickers"

cjp0354
05-03-2017, 01:34 AM
I was reading another post and got to thinking...... When the word "cherry picker" is thrown out, Billy Moyers name is almost always thrown in. How can a man that almost unanimously is considered the top 2 best late model drivers ever, be a Cherry Picker? When people say he's the best, no one points out his 80+ Summer Nationals wins or his countless $10,000 to win shows. The only stat that's needed to put him at number 1 or 2 is the 6 Globes he's won. When deciding if he or Bloomquist is the better driver, No one says it has to be Moyer because he's won more races. No one really pays attention to race wins. They only care about Crown Jewel wins and major sanctioning body championships.

My point is, so what if Moyer wants to run for the almost certain $5k show instead of traveling 2 hours further down the road to race with stiffer competition... it's not like that $5k Win will matter in your eye anyway.

P.s. I have to been guilty of thinking he was cherry picking when he rolled into a track near me. But as I get older I realize, a person's career is not defined by the 100's of small races they won but the few big races they won.

Repetitive enough for ya?

fryefan
05-03-2017, 01:49 AM
Those posts come from people who are jealous of the drivers success.

zyoung25
05-03-2017, 02:28 AM
It seems if you've been at the top of the sport at some point or another, and decide to fall back to a regional schedule and win, you're considered a cherry picker. Once they're done with the national scene, just hang it up fellas, unless you want to be looked at as a cherry picker.

I'm really hoping everyone can sense the sarcasm in that.

WisWildManFan
05-03-2017, 02:45 AM
All I know is no one calls bloomquist a cherry picker.

golddirt
05-03-2017, 05:54 AM
No they call him much worse

Highside Hustler25
05-03-2017, 06:09 AM
In my opinion, anyone who calls a Super Late Racer a cherry picker is not much of a fan.

Barbecueboy
05-03-2017, 07:55 AM

He is more like George Washington.......he just goes in and crotch chops the dam tree down to the ground.

Ftw

matdaddy
05-03-2017, 08:13 AM
in order to be the best you have to beat the best,so if Moyer shows up at a 5K show and runs 8th against a bunch of local drivers, 7 drivers can say they out ran one of the best

zach51
05-03-2017, 08:18 AM
My original point on the other thread before we got sideways (and it also ties into what GRT said later on), even these lower paying regional races aren't just gravy any more. The races people claim that the Moyers "cherry pick", they are losing 8 out of 10 of those. Everybody has great equipment and when you roll into some of these tracks that a local guy with great stuff runs at weekly, they are hard to beat. They might can pick a cherry ever now and then but they are going to have to duke it out with some other guys standing around the tree first.

bullring
05-03-2017, 08:33 AM
My definition of a cherry picker is a guy who drives several hours past a higher paying race to go find weaker competition. If a guy has a decent paying race right in his own area that he chooses to run rather than travel all over hell that's just smart business.

jog49
05-03-2017, 08:50 AM
"Cherry picking" is a term used by dingbats to indicate a driver/race team that chooses a venue where the odds of winning are higher; usually because of so-called "weaker" competition. If that driver/race term's sole purpose in racing is monetary in nature, then it would be foolish not to go where the odds of winning are higher. Traveling involves expenses and expenses have to be addressed before there is a bottom line. The closer to home one can stay, the less money is dedicated to paying for the travel.
Anyone with any racing knowledge whatsoever knows that on any given night, Billy Moyer can and has beaten the best in the business so calling him a cherry picker makes the caller look like an idiot. Calling Moyer a shrewd businessman and you might gain some respect.

zach51
05-03-2017, 08:51 AM
My definition of a cherry picker is a guy who drives several hours past a higher paying race to go find weaker competition. If a guy has a decent paying race right in his own area that he chooses to run rather than travel all over hell that's just smart business.

Yep, and that's one of the reasons Moyer said he was never too keen on committing to a tour because he'd have to drive past better paying races to go run for series points. Also traveling to BFE with 90% chance a rain in the forecast because you couldn't afford to lose points by risking not going, and then it rains and you turn around and go back home with empty pockets and lots of burnt diesel.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-03-2017, 08:56 AM
I was reading another post and got to thinking...... When the word "cherry picker" is thrown out, Billy Moyers name is almost always thrown in. How can a man that almost unanimously is considered the top 2 best late model drivers ever, be a Cherry Picker? When people say he's the best, no one points out his 80+ Summer Nationals wins or his countless $10,000 to win shows. The only stat that's needed to put him at number 1 or 2 is the 6 Globes he's won. When deciding if he or Bloomquist is the better driver, No one says it has to be Moyer because he's won more races. No one really pays attention to race wins. They only care about Crown Jewel wins and major sanctioning body championships.

My point is, so what if Moyer wants to run for the almost certain $5k show instead of traveling 2 hours further down the road to race with stiffer competition... it's not like that $5k Win will matter in your eye anyway.

P.s. I have to been guilty of thinking he was cherry picking when he rolled into a track near me. But as I get older I realize, a person's career is not defined by the 100's of small races they won but the few big races they won.

Repetitive enough for ya?

The more accomplished you are, the more likely you are a cherry picker. That's how it works. If you haven't done anything, how can you be a no brainer winner against a given field?

rickybrown1952
05-03-2017, 09:04 AM
OK listen up ya'll BMJ is not a cherry picker as ya'll call it he's a guy that Loves to go racing period and as far as his dad Billy moyer he has absolutely nothing to prove to anyone Jr has actually gotten pretty good the last couple yrs and has a pretty good chance of winning the snats this year

waaac77
05-03-2017, 09:17 AM
Who cares? You posters on here have been talking about cherry pickers for the past 10 years that I've been checking this board and the posts have never changed. Same BS. It's been years and years of complaining and saying the exact same things everyone has already said before. If you're still ripping Moyer for "cherry picking" then you just enjoy complaining. Let it go

cmmg42
05-03-2017, 09:42 AM
'97 HAT champion

dirtdobber45
05-03-2017, 11:44 AM
As I said on another thread its cool if you want to drive a couples hours from your house to run for 1500-2k. But drive a round trip of ten hours for 2k... how is he making a smart financial move? Yes weather might had something to do with it but still Id rather stay home instead of wasting what money I had. Thats my opinion and just like everyone else Ill call it as I see it.

dirtdobber45
05-03-2017, 11:47 AM
All I know is no one calls bloomquist a cherry picker.Cause Bloomer doesnt run for 2k. The last time I know he did that was 25 yrs ago and he was at Volunteer Speedway in Herman Goddards car right before he signed with them to run Warrior cars

BerckFan
05-03-2017, 11:49 AM
my definition of a cherry picker is a guy who drives several hours past a higher paying race to go find weaker competition. If a guy has a decent paying race right in his own area that he chooses to run rather than travel all over hell that's just smart business.

^^^^^^^^^exactly!!!!

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
05-03-2017, 11:52 AM
Cause Bloomer doesnt run for 2k. The last time I know he did that was 25 yrs ago and he was at Volunteer Speedway in Herman Goddards car right before he signed with them to run Warrior cars

U just said he doesnt but then u said he did.

Go hit ur bong again!

zach51
05-03-2017, 11:55 AM
Cause Bloomer doesnt run for 2k. The last time I know he did that was 25 yrs ago and he was at Volunteer Speedway in Herman Goddards car right before he signed with them to run Warrior cars

Hell bloomer cringes at unloading for 10K lol

dirtdobber45
05-03-2017, 12:04 PM
U just said he doesnt but then u said he did. Go hit ur bong again!And I said its been 25 yrs ago. There wasnt as many tracks paying anything back in those days...DUH. and it wasnt his equipment. Hes not running his stuff for 2k catch a clue boy

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
05-03-2017, 02:19 PM
And I said its been 25 yrs ago. There wasnt as many tracks paying anything back in those days...DUH. and it wasnt his equipment. Hes not running his stuff for 2k catch a clue boy

A cherrie picker is a cherrie picker dont matter whos car hes racing

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
05-03-2017, 03:15 PM
Cherrie? Lol. come on boy.... if you're gonna make a point "pick" a better spell checker LOL!!!! and LOL some more!!!

I did that cuz dd is female!

golddirt
05-03-2017, 04:37 PM
Thank a cherry picker or you wouldn't have them
Pies !!!

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
05-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Then get a room! Your two 3rd grad bicker all the time gets old!!!

Keep in mind cherrys are good eating!

a25rjr
05-03-2017, 05:38 PM
A cherrie picker is a cherrie picker dont matter whos car hes racing

Keep in mind cherrys are good eating!

So now you want to eat Bloomer......TMI! :)

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
05-03-2017, 05:42 PM
So now you want to eat Bloomer......TMI! :)

Now i never said that and i am as far from him as i can get. Yall are his lil groupie NHers

Illtsate32
05-03-2017, 05:44 PM
3 Things:1. Cherry Picking is when you have more money in your car than anyone else on the track 2. Bloomer is the farthest thing from a cherry picker there is 3. BMJ will never win a sn title as long as Pierce is running it...

a25rjr
05-03-2017, 05:59 PM
Yes you did! Lmao!!

You now owe me a new keyboard.......lololol!

Now we know who the real "cherrie pecker" is! :)

zach51
05-03-2017, 06:33 PM
3 Things:1. Cherry Picking is when you have more money in your car than anyone else on the track 2. Bloomer is the farthest thing from a cherry picker there is

So by criteria #1, Bloomer is cherry picker?

zach51
05-03-2017, 06:40 PM
Yeah lol. He's picking them Lucas cherry's...

As long as the track don't get rough and he has them covered!

zach51
05-03-2017, 06:46 PM
He rode it out in WI one year and picked them right out from underneath Moyer.... hope you enjoyed that as* kicking :cool:

Was that in Lucas? Nowadays he just makes it a non points race.

zach51
05-03-2017, 06:52 PM
I was being sarcastic but yes he has more pull than he should, but hey that is America!

Is that being a reverse cherry picker if there is $10K on the line and you pull off? Cherry planter perhaps?

zach51
05-03-2017, 07:03 PM
I too was being sarcastic saying he picks Lucas... I don't know if you can get away with a reversal in ones cherry picking, can you???? :cool:

Not for cherry popping. Picking, not sure?!

Clayton_Wetter
05-03-2017, 07:07 PM
I was being sarcastic but yes he has more pull than he should, but hey that is America!

Is that being a reverse cherry picker if there is $10K on the line and you pull off? Cherry planter perhaps?

Sir for you too try and suggest that Bloomquist is a cherry picker. The actual facts are out there that prove that his schedule includes ONLY major racing events and National tours such as Lucas and WOO.

Unlike the person that you defend who will drive further for a 3k to 5k race and avoid the best competition. Picking and choosing also which tracks he runs the best at to attend and avoiding the tracks that he has not ran good at like Florence for one example, to not attend.

At any rate you sure do win more races doing it that way don't you.

a25rjr
05-03-2017, 07:09 PM
Isn't today's "cherry picker" yesterdays outlaw??? ;)

picker or pecker......seems BMSR has been both! :)

zach51
05-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Sir for you too try and suggest that Bloomquist is a cherry picker. The actual facts are out there that prove that his schedule includes ONLY major racing events and National tours such as Lucas and WOO.

Unlike the person that you defend who will drive further for a 3k to 5k race and avoid the best competition. Picking and choosing also which tracks he runs the best at to attend and avoiding the tracks that he has not ran good at like Florence for one example, to not attend.

At any rate you sure do win more races doing it that way don't you.

Where did I ever say Bloomer was a cherry picker other than by the criteria Illstate32 laid out? He said "Cherry picking is having more money in your car than anybody else on the track". Which is absurd. That was also sarcasm. Nobody would suggest that Bloomer is a cherry picker.

Clayton_Wetter
05-03-2017, 07:15 PM
Where did I ever say Bloomer was a cherry picker other than by the criteria Illstate32 laid out? He said "Cherry picking is having more money in your car than anybody else on the track". Which is absurd. That was also sarcasm. Nobody would suggest that Bloomer is a cherry picker.

Okay, gotcha!!

Clayton_Wetter
05-03-2017, 07:16 PM
A real thread pecker!!!

zach51
05-03-2017, 07:17 PM
Sr. went where he could win... As far as his pecker goes... If not for it.... this thread wouldn't be here :)

That was epic...well done!

Illtsate32
05-03-2017, 08:11 PM
Where did I ever say Bloomer was a cherry picker other than by the criteria Illstate32 laid out? He said "Cherry picking is having more money in your car than anybody else on the track". Which is absurd. That was also sarcasm. Nobody would suggest that Bloomer is a cherry picker.I dont think its absurd when big money guys race locals thats cherry picking..Bloomer dont have any more money in his car than the tour regulars..and he builds his own chassis so less $ than most prob...

a25rjr
05-03-2017, 08:15 PM
A pecker will always go where the cherry's are the sweetest. I mean picker of course :D

I guess we know where Jumper "hangs" out then! :)

dirtdobber45
05-03-2017, 08:56 PM
A cherrie picker is a cherrie picker dont matter whos car hes racing#NOCLUE.....
Cherrie? Lol. come on boy.... if you're gonna make a point "pick" a better spell checker LOL!!!! and LOL some more!!!Liteys son for ya
I did that cuz dd is female!Is that the best you can do. Need to change it from JUMPER to DINGLEBERRY..LMAO
3 Things:1. Cherry Picking is when you have more money in your car than anyone else on the track 2. Bloomer is the farthest thing from a cherry picker there is 3. BMJ will never win a sn title as long as Pierce is running it...
I dont think its absurd when big money guys race locals thats cherry picking..Bloomer dont have any more money in his car than the tour regulars..and he builds his own chassis so less $ than most prob...Thank you exactly^^^^^^
So by criteria #1, Bloomer is cherry picker?Quit huffin glue.... dang

a25rjr
05-03-2017, 08:56 PM
Hope it ain't in the bed of ur cheby??? :D

Seriously... I don't want to know!!!!

LOL......I don't own one but JD does! :)

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
05-03-2017, 09:27 PM
You 3 ( dd,a25,blackie) miss litey dont ya. He'll be back soon then yall can have at it w him!

dirtdobber45
05-03-2017, 09:46 PM
You 3 ( dd,a25,blackie) miss litey dont ya. He'll be back soon then yall can have at it w him!Then you and your dad can jump right in there cant ya? Whoopie..lol

a25rjr
05-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Then you and your dad can jump right in there cant ya? Whoopie..lol

He musta sent SS to school to get a edumucation, his posts are somewhat coherent! lol

dirtdobber45
05-03-2017, 10:02 PM
He musta sent SS to school to get a edumucation, his posts are somewhat coherent! lolI thought he was home schooled. Remember back in the day you could get your h.s. diploma out of the back of a comic book? Litey figured if it was good enough for him it would be good for his son.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
05-03-2017, 10:11 PM
I thought he was home schooled. Remember back in the day you could get your h.s. diploma out of the back of a comic book? Litey figured if it was good enough for him it would be good for his son.

You got yours out of a cracker jacks prize box what u talkn bout there mr wonderful

dirtdobber45
05-03-2017, 10:26 PM
Your like a prize out of a cracker jacks box what u talkn bout there mr wonderfulAppreciate the compliment.

dirty-white-boy
05-04-2017, 12:42 PM
'97 HAT champion

When Bloomer did not run the series.....

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
05-04-2017, 08:15 PM
A few days ago he said you were female. Now he addresses you as Mr.

Does he not know the difference? Strange!!

Sorry my bad. I left of the s on mr

dirtdobber45
05-04-2017, 08:27 PM
A few days ago he said you were female. Now he addresses you as Mr. Does he not know the difference? Strange!!When he looks in the mirror he doesnt.

dirtdobber45
05-04-2017, 08:38 PM
Sorry my bad. I left of the s on mrYou were left out of a lot of things growing up wasnt ya? Dont know the difference between men and women...poor thing. Or is it that your torn like lgbt people. You must catch heck living in N.C. lmfao

goincircles
05-11-2017, 10:40 PM
Cherry pickers are kind of a thing of the past used to be done a lot now there is just a few I suppose one that comes to mind is Schlenk he will pull by a track paying 10k to go down the road to a track that pays2k or 3k just for a few UMP points racing against tough competition gets him very few points

zach51
05-11-2017, 11:31 PM
Cherry pickers are kind of a thing of the past used to be done a lot now there is just a few I suppose one that comes to mind is Schlenk he will pull by a track paying 10k to go down the road to a track that pays2k or 3k just for a few UMP points racing against tough competition gets him very few points

Grammar aside, I agree with you. There isn't any easy SLM anymore.

luke81
05-12-2017, 08:25 AM
Cherry picking to me is dropping a class to snag easy W's. Guys who stuff a crate in their super to pick off a few, or things like that.

zach51
05-12-2017, 08:44 AM
What about Bloomer running modifieds? Just sayin! LOL

zach51
05-12-2017, 09:05 AM
I don't have a problem with this statement. It is what it is if thats what it was.

dang I was practicing my trolling and it didn't work!

zach51
05-12-2017, 09:53 AM
We are going to have to stop calling it cherry picking and start calling it Shannon Babbing!

zach51
05-12-2017, 09:54 AM
Actaully I have a brilliant horrible idea. I wonder if Rigsby and DOD want to start doing a "Cherry Picker of the Week" award. That would be kind of fun no?

zach51
05-12-2017, 10:39 AM
That man is clutch.

dirtdobber45
05-12-2017, 04:25 PM
dang I was practicing my trolling and it didn't work!As most things you do bud. LOL

goincircles
05-15-2017, 09:37 AM
He doesn't unload for less than 10k lol Why would that cherry pickin

zach51
05-15-2017, 09:51 AM
He doesn't unload for less than 10k lol Why would that cherry pickin

The only cherries he's picked he PAID to unload on....ah the irony. But that was many years ago.