PDA

View Full Version : John gill banned

smooth32
05-19-2017, 03:53 PM
John gill banned one year from Fastrack for illegal crate motor. Engine builder banned for life. See story below.FASTRAK takes action against engine builder and driver for illegal Chevrolet Performance Parts Engine at Florence Speedway! After a engine protest at Florence Speedway in KY the engine in the car owned by Jeff Leake has been declared illegal. Results of the illegal engine are as follows: 1) Engine Builder Weinkle Motorsports has been banned for life and all fines thereof apply per the FASTRAK "authorized engine rebuilder" contract will apply. 2) Driver John Gill of the car that evening is being fined $1000 for barred for 365 days from the night of the protest. This is unfortunate for driver John Gill as it was not his car, but from a series standpoint all we can do is check what's it front of us. The camshaft in the car although stamped GM had been altered. Per FASTRAK rules the engine must be "as from factory" and all parts thereof. The camshaft has been confiscated and will be held at the FASTRAK Corporate office to be destroyed at a later date. "We take illegal engines very seriously" said Stan Lester of FASTRAK. "Its against the very 'spirit of the program' and crate engine late model racing in itself". "I did want to take a second to thank the FASTRAK engine builders that helped in the protest of this engine" said Lester. "After speaking with Josh King of the speedway he said the process could not have gone any smoother. Even though Florence is not a "weekly sanctioned track" we recognize the importance of keeping crate engine late model racing equal and are always glad to help a track keep it that way". Special thanks to Josh King for taking the time to do this correctly. FASTRAK engine seal numbers are located on the FASTRAK website and available for everyone to see. Go to www.fastrakracing.com, go to driver info tab then go to engine seals.

Bob Hubbard
05-19-2017, 04:04 PM
I heard its being protested

dirty bert
05-19-2017, 04:53 PM
If a few more create series an tracks would do the same might make some think before buying or building a motor wrong

Hoosier_Dirt
05-19-2017, 07:08 PM
I seen a post on Facebook, the motor builder took full responsibility.

dirty bert
05-19-2017, 07:23 PM
Good deal cause I don't think John new about the motor, hope they don't back off builder an car owner

rdcllk
05-19-2017, 07:40 PM
Does owner and driver still get to race at florance speedway?
If not it''s no big deal

dirty bert
05-19-2017, 08:17 PM
Think there banned from fastrak races, least that's the way I read it

zyoung25
05-19-2017, 08:19 PM
Does owner and driver still get to race at florance speedway?
If not it''s no big deal

Same thing I thought. The track hasn't released anything that I know of yet. I don't think Gill runs anywhere else other than Florence in the crate. I wouldn't even pay the fine for Fastrak if I was him. It's not like series comes up here to take any races from them.

JabberJaws83
05-19-2017, 08:20 PM
If I were Florence, I would go along with the ban

rdcllk
05-19-2017, 08:23 PM
Think there banned from fastrak races, least that's the way I read it

That's the way i understand it. So can still race at Florence speedway

Bob Hubbard
05-20-2017, 06:21 AM
My question is can a driver feel the extra power/rpm's in a crate motor thats been tweaked like this one was ...

Josh Bayko
05-20-2017, 08:05 AM
If a few more create series an tracks would do the same might make some think before buying or building a motor wrong

Most sanctions have done this at some time or another. Some dudes still buy cheated up motors. Makes no sense to me, for what teams pay for a cheater engine, they could have themselves a decent weekly super motor and run for better purses.

BIG MAC ATTACK
05-20-2017, 09:43 AM
This was not a bought cheated up motor.John shows up with his driving suit and drives,he doesn't work on car just drives for Wienle ,who by the way is a certified fastrak engine builder or was .The motor was built by Weinle .In my opinion anyone who races a crate could be put in this situation ,nobody knows what goes into their motor except the certified engine builder,that being said I wouldn't use a no name builder that only builds 1 or 2 crate motors

MI Dirt Fan
05-20-2017, 11:15 AM
Most sanctions have done this at some time or another. Some dudes still buy cheated up motors. Makes no sense to me, for what teams pay for a cheater engine, they could have themselves a decent weekly super motor and run for better purses.
Exactly....

Rollover
05-20-2017, 12:33 PM
This was not a bought cheated up motor.John shows up with his driving suit and drives,he doesn't work on car just drives for Wienle ,who by the way is a certified fastrak engine builder or was .The motor was built by Weinle .In my opinion anyone who races a crate could be put in this situation ,nobody knows what goes into their motor except the certified engine builder,that being said I wouldn't use a no name builder that only builds 1 or 2 crate motors

to me he hit the nail on the head here in a couple different ways. gill more then likely had no clue what was going on. this statement also perfectly describes the problem with crate motor racing and why it will never be a well recieved class. why are crate motors being built? they should be ran the way the come from GM, you should not have a built crate motor.

MaverickSprints
05-20-2017, 12:54 PM
I say we should ban crates all together, they've killed both limited & super here in the south from a weekly standpoint and there are NO cost savings once you factor in all the specially made component parts, lubricants fuel blends, carbs, headers, rear ends, braking systems and on and on. They easily are north of $13K and are the most boring sounding engines on the planet. They sold this class as inexpensive, but it's only a grossly underpowered super that dilutes late model racing far too much. Ban Crates and do some honest tech and rules enforcement instead of socialized racing that is boring. The only thing worse is the 602 sportsman class that takes things even a step lower, DULL!

Clayton_Wetter
05-20-2017, 04:25 PM
I say we should ban crates all together, they've killed both limited & super here in the south from a weekly standpoint and there are NO cost savings once you factor in all the specially made component parts, lubricants fuel blends, carbs, headers, rear ends, braking systems and on and on. They easily are north of $13K and are the most boring sounding engines on the planet. They sold this class as inexpensive, but it's only a grossly underpowered super that dilutes late model racing far too much. Ban Crates and do some honest tech and rules enforcement instead of socialized racing that is boring. The only thing worse is the 602 sportsman class that takes things even a step lower, DULL!

http://www.lovelychicas.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/winner1.png

Bob Hubbard
05-21-2017, 08:17 AM
The crates or limited class always starts out as a good ideal .... Yea , It has its problems but its still better than having 100k in an open late model .... Make a rule & enforce it ... Saying its bad for the sport seems out of line ....

President Clinton
05-21-2017, 09:00 AM

So...... basically crates are for racers that can't keep up??? Kinda like giving trophies to all that participate ??

MaverickSprints
05-21-2017, 09:20 AM
The crates or limited class always starts out as a good ideal .... Yea , It has its problems but its still better than having 100k in an open late model .... Make a rule & enforce it ... Saying its bad for the sport seems out of line ....
100K, on what planet? You can get a quality pro built engine used for 1/5 of that. CRATES ARE BAD FOR THE SPORT. You could build engines at 1/3 the cost of a competitive 604 and it make 150+ HP.

So...... basically crates are for racers that can't keep up??? Kinda like giving trophies to all that participate ??

I would say its for those who think everyone who wins is cheating and that putting some half a$$ seals on makes that all go away, it doesn't and does zero to curtail costs. The ones who can't keep up or refuse to do what's needed to win(work) want to slow everyone else down to their speed. You're right, it is the "trophies for all" generation.

Bob Hubbard
05-21-2017, 09:45 AM
The guys who win at my local crate track run a club 29 .... I figure 40-50k for a roller ... whats a motor 25 -35 k ..... Thats getting pretty close to 100k and we havnt talked any extra's

BIG MAC ATTACK
05-21-2017, 10:13 AM
Please let me know where I can get a competitive built motor to run with the supers at 1/3rd the cost of a 604.I paid 6500 for my motor used so your saying for 2164.00 I can do this?That wont even buy a good set of heads for a super

fastford
05-21-2017, 11:09 AM
The guys who win at my local crate track run a club 29 .... I figure 40-50k for a roller ... whats a motor 25 -35 k ..... Thats getting pretty close to 100k and we havnt talked any extra's

yea, BUT these crate racers down here are buying those 40-50k rollers and putting these crate motors in them, plus spending tons of money on that crate engine to legally gain an edge, where is the economics, from a being fair perspective, in that?????

KDCHRLMNGE
05-21-2017, 02:10 PM
I say we should ban crates all together, they've killed both limited & super here in the south from a weekly standpoint and there are NO cost savings once you factor in all the specially made component parts, lubricants fuel blends, carbs, headers, rear ends, braking systems and on and on. They easily are north of $13K and are the most boring sounding engines on the planet. They sold this class as inexpensive, but it's only a grossly underpowered super that dilutes late model racing far too much. Ban Crates and do some honest tech and rules enforcement instead of socialized racing that is boring. The only thing worse is the 602 sportsman class that takes things even a step lower, DULL!The crates are working on killing the supers up north too. Just about every crate race I've seen, especially crate late models ends up looking like a NASCAR race, they all spread out an equal distance from each other and make laps. Unfortunately the horse is out of the barn and I don't think crates are going anywhere any time soon.

ptown
05-21-2017, 02:29 PM
The crates are working on killing the supers up north too. Just about every crate race I've seen, especially crate late models ends up looking like a NASCAR race, they all spread out an equal distance from each other and make laps. Unfortunately the horse is out of the barn and I don't think crates are going anywhere any time soon.

That's why you will never see crates at Fairbury, not a whole lot cheaper and they would probably lose 4 or 5 super lates plus the cheating is rampant and hard to police without tearing down motors.

kidrock
05-21-2017, 02:49 PM
That's why you will never see crates at Fairbury, not a whole lot cheaper and they would probably lose 4 or 5 super lates plus the cheating is rampant and hard to police without tearing down motors.

First off never is a long time and second why would they lose 4 or 5 supers?

BIG MAC ATTACK
05-21-2017, 03:37 PM
Tell those guys paying 40 to 50k for a roller I can save them a lot of money I would take 25k for my roller lol

turnleftandgasit
05-21-2017, 04:26 PM
The only reason crates aren't at Fairbury, is the Cravens pay for the Sportsman class.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-21-2017, 04:30 PM
First off never is a long time and second why would they lose 4 or 5 supers?

Same reason every track with crates loses supers. Guys move down to try and win.

poolcuemaster
05-21-2017, 09:44 PM
My weekly track Carolina Speedway listened to us fans and started running limiteds instead of cheated up crates. Wish someone would catch the authorized rebuilder in NC that switches the crankshaft with one 30 pounds lighter, now that's cheating. And it cost around 5000 dollars to switch and tune your new crate motor so we can watch follow the leader. Pee on them---Leonard

chupp n bloomer fan
05-21-2017, 09:56 PM
When they first came out, the crates were a great idea. Then, like everything else, the money took over. The old timers who couldn't afford a super anymore, and the young ones cutting their teeth for a super, and those that run both. Just killed it, and the complete lack of consistent tech on a division that absolutely needs great tech. I'm sure crates are still less, but not much. And the purses aren't up to super levels, so I'd guess a top crate to a close to the top super, probably a wash.

Shame too, because while boring, they were a good idea.

lazermod3
05-22-2017, 08:36 AM
My weekly track Carolina Speedway listened to us fans and started running limiteds instead of cheated up crates. Wish someone would catch the authorized rebuilder in NC that switches the crankshaft with one 30 pounds lighter, now that's cheating. And it cost around 5000 dollars to switch and tune your new crate motor so we can watch follow the leader. Pee on them---Leonard

Leonard,you must be related to the V.I.,(A CRANKSHAFT THAT'S 30 POUND'S LIGHTER)Wake up!

#FALSuperman
05-22-2017, 10:05 AM
First off never is a long time and second why would they lose 4 or 5 supers?Pro Crates are running in Fairbury this Saturday.

ptown
05-22-2017, 12:41 PM
Pro Crates are running in Fairbury this Saturday.

Yes it's a Memorial Day weekend special, you won't see them on their weekly program anytime soon.

Bob Hubbard
05-22-2017, 07:28 PM
I see alot of different points being made that I never would of thought of if it wasnt for this fourm .... I understand some of the super lates have sponsor money .... I guess in my way of thinking how much money these guys pour into this ....I believe 10k for a crate motor every couple years is farr less that 40k .... I guess its all to how much money you wanna spend to call it a hobby / life style ....

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-22-2017, 07:33 PM
I see alot of different points being made that I never would of thought of if it wasnt for this fourm .... I understand some of the super lates have sponsor money .... I guess in my way of thinking how much money these guys pour into this ....I believe 10k for a crate motor every couple years is farr less that 40k .... I guess its all to how much money you wanna spend to call it a hobby / life style ....

You can get a used super, capable of winning local and regional shows for $15k. You can rebuild that yourself.

Bob Hubbard
05-23-2017, 06:22 PM
You can get a used super, capable of winning local and regional shows for $15k. You can rebuild that yourself.

I dont understand .... What are you buying for 15 k ?

BIG MAC ATTACK
05-23-2017, 06:45 PM
15k is a lot more than 6500.Plus dry sump system