PDA

View Full Version : Eldora Dirt Late Model Dream

latemodelman
05-21-2017, 04:15 PM
I just want to say that with the Dream coming up we might only see 50 to 60 cars show but should this race have modifieds or a support class with it or be a 1 day show?

dirtyboy
05-21-2017, 04:26 PM
No, and No.....

MI Dirt Fan
05-21-2017, 04:28 PM
Can have as many cars as you want but only what, 24 start?

Barbecueboy
05-21-2017, 05:16 PM
I like the idea of having modifieds run a dream style race ......I like modifieds though, not everyone does.

Pennsboro23
05-21-2017, 05:23 PM
There will be more than 50-60 cars.

Shiny Side Up 18
05-21-2017, 05:35 PM
I'd like to see Eldora run a big $40k or 50k to win event for crates. The only problem is several of the big boys would jump in a crate car and crash the party.

TheJet-09
05-21-2017, 05:47 PM
What surprises me is that it used to seem many of the local tracks (at least in my area of Illinois) used to take the Eldora weekends off so fans/racers could attend races out there. Now most every track has races the same weekend/s. Is Eldora no longer the powerhouse it used to be, or is it more about the cost involved with travelling out there/taking time off/etc.?

HoosierDirtFan
05-21-2017, 05:51 PM
I'd like to see Eldora run a big $40k or 50k to win event for crates. The only problem is several of the big boys would jump in a crate car and crash the party.

I'd like to see Eldora do that for Open Wheel Modifieds $50,000 to win & $2,500-$3,000 to start would bring cars out of the woods. Have a 3 day format like they do for the World 100 weekend.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-21-2017, 06:01 PM
What surprises me is that it used to seem many of the local tracks (at least in my area of Illinois) used to take the Eldora weekends off so fans/racers could attend races out there. Now most every track has races the same weekend/s. Is Eldora no longer the powerhouse it used to be, or is it more about the cost involved with travelling out there/taking time off/etc.?

It is the opposite for me. Some did take off for World, but not Dream. Now, everyone is closed for both.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-21-2017, 06:02 PM
There will be more than 50-60 cars.

I think 70ish.

MI Dirt Fan
05-21-2017, 06:07 PM
Couple tracks here would give them the night off for the Dream and run sprints but none of the locals would go maybe 1 or 2. So they just stopped doing it long ago.

GEAR_HEAD
05-21-2017, 06:20 PM
Eldora shouldn't have support divisions. Ever. That's just more unnecessary laps on the track. Horrible idea. Secondly, you want to run 5 features and a ton of heat races all in 1 day? That's one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen on here.

zyoung25
05-21-2017, 06:49 PM
There will be more than 50-60 cars. I expect 25-30 for the show this weekend, as long as they don't throw in anymore unexpected rules in the next few days. Between that and all the races that were going on the same weekend as the opener is why there were only 14 cars last time. They will get 80-100 for the dream.

Earl would turn over in his grave putting a support class with one of his babies no way that will ever happen.

I'm all for having a big mod or crate show any other time.....bring it on.

play4kps
05-21-2017, 07:48 PM
63 cars for the dream! Sad to say Eldora is living on its past! That's never a good thing. The modified and street stock count is way down also. There is no incentive any longer if your a local to commit to Eldora, the payout is extremely weak and they pay little to nothing to win track championship and have way to many open dates. The modifieds have committed to Waynesfield and their really isn't very many locals with late models anyways. They used to have 10 to 12 cars every alms race come down from Michigan, no longer and the ethanol series pays a whole lot better thru the field than the alms. I'm not all for bankrupting tracks to increase payout, but Eldora can afford a whole lot more than the meager purses they pay out. Perfect example this year, I live 40 minutes from the track loyal to Eldora for the opener to see a lousy 14 car late model race 15 mods, for 18 bucks-pathetic. Several guys I work with went down to Florence and saw an incredible race for the spring 50. Then a few weeks later I take my kids to Eldora for what was even worse than opening night. 15 bucks for 15 mods, 19 bombers and 27 compacts. really, Eldora cant put on a better show than that. The ump nationals this year pays a pathetic 5000 to win for late models. on that same weekend the ethanol series is paying 10,000 to win up in Michigan, so expect a weak turnout for the ump nationals. You cant live on your reputation forever. They always refer to the big e as hallowed grounds, its close to being that in more ways than one! Sorry for the novel, and I'm a guy who loves Eldora and has been a loyal Eldora guy for 27 years but the writing is on the wall!

MI Dirt Fan
05-21-2017, 07:51 PM
Someone said before $2k to win LM race at Eldora was basically a slap in the face

mccreadiefan39
05-21-2017, 07:55 PM
Having a support class on the Dream or World weekends would be the single worst move Eldora could make

TS FAN
05-21-2017, 07:57 PM
I am not sure what the issue is here. There are always plenty of cars. Love the format. What is not too like??? I hate insert Bloomie into this thread, but is he able to race there? I do not follow the latest news, but I am just curious. I guess one or two others might still be in the same situation. Right? Wrong?

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
05-21-2017, 07:58 PM
I like the idea of having modifieds run a dream style race ......I like modifieds though, not everyone does.

I like the bb mods but im good w any mod show.

play4kps
05-21-2017, 08:16 PM
This article was even shared by several Eldora racers!
http://dirtunlimited.com/2017/05/04/bolins-pit-pass-eldora-speedways-focus-on-big-time-racing-have-turned-away-local-drivers/

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-21-2017, 08:54 PM
There will be more than 50-60 cars. I expect 25-30 for the show this weekend, as long as they don't throw in anymore unexpected rules in the next few days. Between that and all the races that were going on the same weekend as the opener is why there were only 14 cars last time. They will get 80-100 for the dream.

Earl would turn over in his grave putting a support class with one of his babies no way that will ever happen.

I'm all for having a big mod or crate show any other time.....bring it on.

Earl used to run the Eldora stocks on the Friday qualifying night back in the day...

play4kps
05-21-2017, 09:04 PM
The point is, if u come to Eldora for the dream and the world 100 only. You don't see the mess and lack of racing that Eldora is doing. If you have a home track that u go to weekly and had dismal car counts for 15 bucks, I don't anybody would be happy.

chupp n bloomer fan
05-21-2017, 09:46 PM
I am not sure what the issue is here. There are always plenty of cars. Love the format. What is not too like??? I hate insert Bloomie into this thread, but is he able to race there? I do not follow the latest news, but I am just curious. I guess one or two others might still be in the same situation. Right? Wrong?He is allowed. Only one still not off the bad list is the Best Motorsports team.

latemodelfan
05-22-2017, 07:33 AM
63 cars for the dream! Sad to say Eldora is living on its past! That's never a good thing. The modified and street stock count is way down also. There is no incentive any longer if your a local to commit to Eldora, the payout is extremely weak and they pay little to nothing to win track championship and have way to many open dates. The modifieds have committed to Waynesfield and their really isn't very many locals with late models anyways. They used to have 10 to 12 cars every alms race come down from Michigan, no longer and the ethanol series pays a whole lot better thru the field than the alms. I'm not all for bankrupting tracks to increase payout, but Eldora can afford a whole lot more than the meager purses they pay out. Perfect example this year, I live 40 minutes from the track loyal to Eldora for the opener to see a lousy 14 car late model race 15 mods, for 18 bucks-pathetic. Several guys I work with went down to Florence and saw an incredible race for the spring 50. Then a few weeks later I take my kids to Eldora for what was even worse than opening night. 15 bucks for 15 mods, 19 bombers and 27 compacts. really, Eldora cant put on a better show than that. The ump nationals this year pays a pathetic 5000 to win for late models. on that same weekend the ethanol series is paying 10,000 to win up in Michigan, so expect a weak turnout for the ump nationals. You cant live on your reputation forever. They always refer to the big e as hallowed grounds, its close to being that in more ways than one! Sorry for the novel, and I'm a guy who loves Eldora and has been a loyal Eldora guy for 27 years but the writing is on the wall!

Some good points here.

T3GJason47
05-22-2017, 07:49 AM
2k to win a LM race there is a slap in the face to the LM guys. Its also a slap in the face that the points fund in all classes is 2k to win. Eldora needs to change something for sure. But I don't see that happening. Slack is only interested in the bigger shows and he has made that very clear.

ThebigE
05-22-2017, 09:47 AM
Slack is a joke, Tony needs to find a new GM. Or maybe Stewart only wants the big shows also to and doesn't care about the weekend warriors that built that place.

TS FAN
05-22-2017, 12:24 PM
He is allowed. Only one still not off the bad list is the Best Motorsports team.

OK, good for the fans. Me not so much. LOL
Just kidding. I want all the top driver at every event.

chupp n bloomer fan
05-22-2017, 01:33 PM
OK, good for the fans. Me not so much. LOL
Just kidding. I want all the top driver at every event.All good. You like who like and you dislike who you dislike, just how we are. Gotta have an opinion on stuff, or you're just I dunno, a push over, agree with everyone but in your heart you really do have an opinion.

And yeah, I like it more when all the big names are at an event of the magnitude of The World 100 or Dream.

dmr37
05-22-2017, 02:18 PM
I'd like to see Eldora do that for Open Wheel Modifieds $50,000 to win & $2,500-$3,000 to start would bring cars out of the woods. Have a 3 day format like they do for the World 100 weekend.

over 100 mods for the UMP Modified nationals - even with the low payout

HoosierDirtFan
05-22-2017, 03:44 PM
over 100 mods for the UMP Modified nationals - even with the low payout

I know. I go every year. Just would like to see a big event for Modifieds like this at Eldora..

play4kps
05-22-2017, 04:02 PM
5000 for modifieds is not a weak purse! Besides the good thing about is they race for 3 or 4 days. The sad thing is Eldora just takes more and more away from the locals, less dates, no BOSS races. they took the NRA SPRINTS off the show next week, still 15 bucks plus 3 for your seat. the 4 crown used to pay 10,000 for all 4 features and a bonus 10,000 for a sweep when earl owned it! Now the 4 crown pays crap, still high admission price and a whole lot less cars. rarely a full field of midgets and silver crowns. I read they pay 2000 dollars for the Late model track championship, are you kidding me. I would be ashamed as a track promoter and or owner to pay such a low amount for a track that they refer to as hallowed grounds and a prestigious place to win a race. Come on Tony, take charge, Waynesfield, Atomic, Florence, Oakshade, are kicking you butt! Eldora is getting closer to resembling the old kilkare or shady bowl!

Clayton_Wetter
05-22-2017, 04:20 PM
To those who want Mods and Crates that bad, you are helping destroy the LM class. I don't support the local track when they don't have LM's. That is just playing into their hands.

play4kps
05-22-2017, 04:24 PM
Worse yet! let this sink in, if you live close to Eldora and love Late models, there wont be a late model at Eldora this year basically all summer! from June 11th to Sept 2, no late models at the big e! let that sink in! And the UMP modifieds only have 2 dates scheduled between May 28 and Sept 3. And the people wonder where the cars are! What incentive is there to build a car for Eldora or commit to the track!

TDRacinŽ
05-22-2017, 04:25 PM
Earl used to run the Eldora stocks on the Friday qualifying night back in the day...

"Back in the day" must be pre-1991. I have never seen another class there at the World and the Dream.

play4kps
05-22-2017, 04:32 PM
Well the good thing is that's a mute point because they have meaningful races thurs and Friday before the dream and world 100. But I also remember bombers on the Friday after qualifying!

play4kps
05-22-2017, 07:38 PM
Eldora should not headline shows with ump modifieds.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-22-2017, 07:44 PM
To those who want Mods and Crates that bad, you are helping destroy the LM class. I don't support the local track when they don't have LM's. That is just playing into their hands.

Modifieds are a viable class in their own right. No problem with them having races IMO.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-22-2017, 07:46 PM
My first trip was 1986. I saw them do it several times. By 91, the World 100 was 20 years old.

Barbecueboy
05-22-2017, 07:55 PM

Yup, sure did.....he must not have thought it to be such a terrible idea after all.

Barbecueboy
05-22-2017, 08:09 PM
My first trip was 1986. I saw them do it several times. By 91, the World 100 was 20 years old.

The youngsters just want what they want these days.....don't dare question their logic, they are our future leadersahahahahahahahahahahal

Sorry couldn't hold it in.

I like the sport and art and action of racing in general........I love the supers for sure, I also love the mods and street stocks.....I'm just not married to the idea of only watching the late models.

One of the absolute best races I have seen all year so far was a pure stock battle as an undercard of regular racing combined into a show with a national super latemodel field of stoutness.
Passing galore racing galore and some wicked ballzy moves ......I just love a good race, class be (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ed.

But that's just me maybe.

weatherman85
05-22-2017, 08:21 PM
It's pretty much a joke for Eldora to even claim to have a track championship in Late Models. They only have Them scheduled for 6 events this year. 10 total races if you count the Thursday and Friday night features. Do they get points from these towards the track championship?

Not too familiar with the other tracks in the area but do any of them run classes that would be legal for the drivers that have Eldora stocks? Really sucks for them over the years to go from 17-18 races to 6-8.

play4kps
05-22-2017, 08:33 PM
Im pretty sure their is 4 races that count towards track championship. Opening night, appleseed, baltes classic and ump nationals.

TDRacinŽ
05-22-2017, 10:25 PM
Fortunately for those wanting additional classes at races like the Dream and the World they do have other races throughout the year with additional classes. But they haven't done support divisions since at least 1991, probably even further back.

T3GJason47
05-23-2017, 07:13 AM
I believe the LM's are scored for points for every even the Thursday and Friday's before the Dream and World. Eldora pays all there classes 2k to win the Track Championships. Its sad I pretty much grew up going to Eldora. I went to the Friday portion of the WoO Sprints and USAC show this year. The racing sucked accept the USAC feature. My point is... I have no want to go back there now. Im not going to the Appleseed this weekend. I cant remember the last time I haven't listened to the Indy 500 while sitting in the camping lot at Eldora Speedway. Im still up in the air about the Dream aswell. The place has changed and Slack don't care about anything other then fireworks big names and NASCAR being there.

play4kps
05-23-2017, 07:48 AM
I know I was there the Saturday following for the USAC and WOO sprint show. The racing was lackluster at best!. I will go to all 3 nights of the dream an world. But that probably it. I'll be going to Waynesfield and Oakshade when possible. Both of those tracks have great weekly shows. Sad part is I live 40 minutes from Eldora. What a waste of a great facility. The one good thing Tony or Roger hasn't done yet and thank God, they haven't destroyed the prestige of the world or dream by having it sanctioned by Lucas Oil or the WOO.

zyoung25
05-23-2017, 07:50 AM
The big races do count to the end of the year point championship.

ThebigE
05-23-2017, 07:55 AM
Yes, they get track points at Eldora for the Dream and World.

zach51
05-23-2017, 07:55 AM
I wonder what the big scandal will be this year? We've already done the scales, tires, what's next? I think the window-net thing was at the World, but same difference. Always something at the Big E. Let's just hope it isn't weather.....

latemodelman
05-23-2017, 08:09 AM
Also if you look on dirt on dirt.com they say that Eldora has changed the safety rules yet again this time allowing the protective steel to be bolted on or welded or clamped on. Also with all these changes some drivers have said they will not go to the World 100 or Dream and other tracks are now running 10,000 to win races against it. Pretty sad as last year they finally got the cars back and were doing good. Now this.

zach51
05-23-2017, 08:18 AM
Also if you look on dirt on dirt.com they say that Eldora has changed the safety rules yet again this time allowing the protective steel to be bolted on or welded or clamped on. Also with all these changes some drivers have said they will not go to the World 100 or Dream and other tracks are now running 10,000 to win races against it. Pretty sad as last year they finally got the cars back and were doing good. Now this.

Furthermore, it is sad that drivers are being such resistant to safety improvements (not just the steel plates), especially after witnessing a death at the World last year.

T3GJason47
05-23-2017, 08:35 AM
With the door plates being able to be bolted in will stop some of the crying.

ThebigE
05-23-2017, 09:00 AM
Some guys have already welded the plates on since that's what the RULE was in the beginning. They never allowed you to bolt or clamp in the beginning. I guess I'm not sure what these plates are supposed to protect you from anyways? I'm all for safety but these just seems a little ridiculous... And god rest Shane Ungers soul but even if he had these plates on the drivers side door and a full containment seat it wouldn't have changed the outcome.

MI Dirt Fan
05-23-2017, 09:05 AM
I'm guessing it has something to do with keeping the door bars from crushing in? I've seen a few guys, not LM have the door bars get crushed in and they can't get out of the car because their legs are pinned. I know one they had to cut the side of the car open to get the guy out.

zach51
05-23-2017, 09:17 AM
I don't think the steel will reinforce the door bars so much as they will keep foreign debris from ripping through the sheet metal and getting into the c0ckpit.

T3GJason47
05-23-2017, 09:45 AM
Welding on the door bars probably isn't the smartest/safest way to do it either. If they want a door bar there bolting one seems alittle more logical to me.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-23-2017, 09:48 AM
Furthermore, it is sad that drivers are being such resistant to safety improvements (not just the steel plates), especially after witnessing a death at the World last year.

One tragedy doesn't mean things are unsafe. Everything we do has risk. Knee jerks are not necessary. The steel plate deal was a mismanaged fiasco.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-23-2017, 09:50 AM
Some guys have already welded the plates on since that's what the RULE was in the beginning. They never allowed you to bolt or clamp in the beginning. I guess I'm not sure what these plates are supposed to protect you from anyways? I'm all for safety but these just seems a little ridiculous... And god rest Shane Ungers soul but even if he had these plates on the drivers side door and a full containment seat it wouldn't have changed the outcome.
How do you know this? I have yet to see an explanation of what happened.

ThebigE
05-23-2017, 12:04 PM
Yes, welding on a brand new XR1 chassis makes a person cringe. How do I know what happened to Unger last year at the world? if so, Shane was a big guy, very similar body and build of Brian Ruhlman, Shane didn't have a left side head support nor was he wearing a HANS device and he suffered a broken neck when his car smacked the wall on the drivers side.

JK4745
05-23-2017, 01:06 PM
I believe Shane was wearing a HANS device. Don't post rumors. It was a terrible accident with a horrific outcome. A racer lost his life. Don't blame his size or say his safety equipment wasn't up to par.

T3GJason47
05-23-2017, 02:11 PM
I don't believe he was wearing a neck restraint.

ThebigE
05-23-2017, 02:18 PM
1. Ok sorry, he was wearing a HANS device, unfortunately it wasn't attached. That's a FACT! I never blamed his size or his equipment being up to par. I just stated the truth about his size and seat not having left side head support. And the reason for that is, the same reason other bigger drivers don't have that on their seat is for the fact they have a real hard time getting out of the car in case of a fire. FACT. That's not being dis-respectful it's just flat out the truth. Everything I stated is FACTS. Not one rumor! Were you there on the track during this tragic event? Did you go to School with Shane? If so, maybe you knew Doughboy better than me.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-23-2017, 02:54 PM
1. Ok sorry, he was wearing a HANS device, unfortunately it wasn't attached. That's a FACT! I never blamed his size or his equipment being up to par. I just stated the truth about his size and seat not having left side head support. And the reason for that is, the same reason other bigger drivers don't have that on their seat is for the fact they have a real hard time getting out of the car in case of a fire. FACT. That's not being dis-respectful it's just flat out the truth. Everything I stated is FACTS. Not one rumor! Were you there on the track during this tragic event? Did you go to School with Shane? If so, maybe you knew Doughboy better than me.

I have seen others post he didn't have a broken neck. Made me believe the door plates were because of him. Sure would be nice for racers to actually be able to learn something from a tragedy instead of just being fed new rules with zero test data or understanding.

T3GJason47
05-23-2017, 04:04 PM
I just seen on Rockets facebook page. That they now have the XR1 Rocket Intrusion plates available that are required to run Eldora now.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-23-2017, 04:16 PM
I just seen on Rockets facebook page. That they now have the XR1 Rocket Intrusion plates available that are required to run Eldora now.
Rocket is quick to capitalize on any new stuff. Well run business, regardless of other feelings.

zyoung25
05-23-2017, 04:23 PM
Now the guys that welded them for the first race have to go back, do more work to get things ready for the next race. It should've been like this from the beginning.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-23-2017, 04:26 PM
Now the guys that welded them for the first race have to go back, do more work to get things ready for the next race. It should've been like this from the beginning.

Or just call it good.

JK4745
05-23-2017, 06:37 PM
I did not go to school with Shane but I did know him pretty well. I was not on the track during the accident but was told by Shad he did indeed have a HANS device on. Wow I struck a nerve there. Yes he was a big man but no proof that had anything to do with the outcome of the accident.

Barbecueboy
05-23-2017, 08:23 PM
Rocket is quick to capitalize on any new stuff. Well run business, regardless of other feelings.

As much as I would like to disagree with you because of my personal feelings for Mark, you are absolutely correct about their business model.

Hoosier
05-24-2017, 12:37 AM
I don't hear any complaints about $2 beer and cheap food?

Forward Bite
05-24-2017, 03:23 AM
No big deal about a high speed track requiring a metal plate on the driver side. IMCA has required drivers and chassis builders to install a metal plate on the driver side bars for all IMCA Mods for at least 10 years. The plate prevents sharp objects from puncturing the driver.