PDA

View Full Version : tubing notcher

fastford
06-09-2017, 10:26 AM
I use the hole saw type notcher, just wandering what the best, longest lasting saw blade is best to use, also i was thinking of rigging up some type of water soluble fluid cooling system and just wandering if any one else has done this, thanks.

Lizardracing
06-09-2017, 11:39 PM
Just like any machine tooling. It's all about feeds and speeds. The right RPM, the right feed rate, a little cutting fluid and tools last a good long while.

I bought a full set of Lennox years ago and they still work well. I also use Rapid Tap for a cutting fluid and watch the feed and speed so they cut without burning the saw teeth. You want the heat in the chip not the tool.

Confused?
06-10-2017, 10:24 AM
I've always had good luck with the white Lennox hole saws.

over4T
06-10-2017, 11:12 AM
The Lennox are great but I've had pretty good luck with the Dewalts too. As with any tool let the tool do the work and don't try to strongarm it. Any cutting type oil helps but even 3 in 1 oil will work as well.

25jrjr
06-10-2017, 05:47 PM
Yall gonna laugh, but a local chassis mfgr uses handheld sheetmetal snips. Of course he has been doing it a long time, and has forearms like Popeye!

btw....he's a perfectionist and his joints are near perfect!

hucktyson
06-11-2017, 11:12 AM
What brand snips ? Just because something is possible doesn't mean it's logical

25jrjr
06-11-2017, 12:57 PM
What brand snips ? Just because something is possible doesn't mean it's logical

Malco......its very logical for him. He's the fastest and most precise I have ever seen. I know I've tried it and don't have the forearm strength to do it!

racer2e
06-11-2017, 08:15 PM
An old timer that built cars about here also used tin snips on thin stuff, and I don't think he was using stuff thinner than .065.

fastford
06-12-2017, 03:53 PM
thanks guys, i have an old drill press i dont use any more and im mounting my notcher on it , it has a table that is made for cooling fluid so i was thinking about getting me a small pump and using water soluble oil like in my big band saw . i have tried the snips before and i can do it, but im getting a little age on me and think i will stick with the notcher.

old17ford
06-13-2017, 08:09 AM
A buddy of mine uses a manual notcher that he can change the dies in for differnt size tubing works good and fast .

fastford
06-13-2017, 08:45 AM
i know several guys that use the press type notcher , it may just be me , but i always felt it distorted the tubing some at the point of the weld , may not mean anything, but i prefer the saw.