PDA

View Full Version : Dream qualifying format needs tweaked

Cleetus Motorsports
06-09-2017, 06:34 PM
It seems as if the fastest cars are the ones who go out early, if you go out later you are pretty much hosed. I know people will say oh well they take 5 from the heat and if you're fast you can race your way in. The problem is you get points for qualifying so unfortunately it does affect things. I don't know what the solution is unless you just group into 8 heats and you qualify against your heat.

Switchback29A1
06-09-2017, 08:13 PM
Back when you hot lapped, qualified and heat raced with your group was the most fair system

chupp n bloomer fan
06-09-2017, 09:25 PM
Back when you hot lapped, qualified and heat raced with your group was the most fair systemIf that isn't the format they use now, which it doesn't seem to be, that's dumb. You're right, that's the best format, the one you mentioned.

ThebigE
06-09-2017, 10:11 PM
Yes, a couple of seconds slower from the first group to the last group. If you qualified late, it sucked to be you.

GEAR_HEAD
06-09-2017, 10:33 PM
The format creates passing and entertainment. If you don't like passing then attend a Ray Cook race :) . There are already too many boring formats out there. At the end of the day the creme rose to the top in every race.

Cleetus Motorsports
06-09-2017, 11:46 PM
The format creates passing and entertainment. If you don't like passing then attend a Ray Cook race :) . There are already too many boring formats out there. At the end of the day the creme rose to the top in every race.I like passing too. The problem I have is they award points for qualifying so why should a guy who goes out late get screwed by a slow track?? Casey Roberts will get a provisional for the race for fast time prov and he was the 1st car out on Thursday and he hasn't done much since. So he gets a provisional from drawing early in qualifying.

fryefan
06-09-2017, 11:48 PM
The format creates passing and entertainment. If you don't like passing then attend a Ray Cook race :) . There are already too many boring formats out there. At the end of the day the creme rose to the top in every race.

If you really want to create passing, then go to a passing points system.

25jrjr
06-09-2017, 11:49 PM
I thought the idea of racing was to be the fastest....not get penalized for it!

hucktyson
06-10-2017, 05:44 AM
The format is fine. The organizing heats by random pull drawn creates really stacked heats and really slow heats which is more unfair.

chupp n bloomer fan
06-10-2017, 06:18 AM
The format creates passing and entertainment. If you don't like passing then attend a Ray Cook race :) . There are already too many boring formats out there. At the end of the day the creme rose to the top in every race.The format creates passing, lol. Their old format of qualifying with your heat, and racing within your heat, which had an invert, was great.

Plainly obvious you've never worked on a car or know the money and dedication involved. They invert the heat, then you make it through that, and they turn around and do another big invert in a 25 lap race. What's the point of working your a$$ off to win a heat when some gimmick is going to fuk you for the feature and put someone who got third in their heat or whatever on the pole of the feature?

It's a sh!tty gimmick, and I always like how people come back with some retarded argument, go watch a Ray Cook race. Obviously no one wants that sh!t, but what they have gone to is overboard the other way.

Creating racing with gimmicks isn't racing. Prep the track, since the track changes, you qualify with your heat, invert that a few, and your reward for winning your heat that you raced to win is you start up front. Not get fuked by another lottery ticket.

chupp n bloomer fan
06-10-2017, 06:19 AM
If you really want to create passing, then go to a passing points system.Exactly, well said.

Jet Jockey
06-10-2017, 07:29 AM
No matter which format you use, the pill is always drawn so it just depends on how good of a number you drew. Sometimes a higher number is actually better. As a fan, I do not like passing points because when I watch a heat race, I like to know who transfers. I do not think there is any evidence that passing points creates more passing. I do think it causes more wrecks, but no evidence of that either. Not a huge fan of multiple groups either because it has the ability of creating uneven heat races. I guess I like the WoO the best with just two groups. Seems to be the best of all worlds. Bottom line is don't blame the pill draw. It usually is the most important aspect of the night though.

JabberJaws83
06-10-2017, 08:00 AM
Awarding points for qualifying is what makes the current system flawed. If they are going to stick with the current way they are doing it, they need to eliminate those points or do it by groups somehow.

dirtdobber45
06-10-2017, 08:33 AM
I thought the idea of racing was to be the fastest....not get penalized for it!Very true. If going to have this point system make it right. If a guy wins from the pole he should be rewarded with the most points.

chupp n bloomer fan
06-10-2017, 08:57 AM
Very true. If going to have this point system make it right. If a guy wins from the pole he should be rewarded with the most points.Now I gotta admit, that is not how I'd do it. If you started sixth or so and won a heat, then you get max points, not pole and win max points.

25jrjr
06-10-2017, 09:09 AM
I don't have a problem with the WOO procedure. Heat race winners redraw for their feature starting spot.

I think they should practice, qualify, and heat race in the same group!

GEAR_HEAD
06-10-2017, 10:16 AM
If you really want to create passing, then go to a passing points system.

I'm all for it! Pull pills and use passing points.

Doc88D
06-10-2017, 11:27 AM
I thought the idea of racing was to be the fastest....not get penalized for it!

I thought the idea of racing was to pass other cars. Race fans want to see cars pass each other. If you want a race where the fastest car starts on the pole and leads every lap. Go to any racetrack in the south. There are plenty of empty seats because of it

chupp n bloomer fan
06-10-2017, 11:32 AM
I'm all for it! Pull pills and use passing points.Passing points are great. Pulling pills instead of qualifying is ridiculous, your whole line up order based on a lottery ticket and luck is not.

25jrjr
06-10-2017, 01:45 PM
I thought the idea of racing was to pass other cars. Race fans want to see cars pass each other. If you want a race where the fastest car starts on the pole and leads every lap. Go to any racetrack in the south. There are plenty of empty seats because of it

I thought the idea of racing...is be the first car to get the CHECKERED FLAG!

Passing cars will put a racer in the poor house....besides that can be done on the way to and from the races!

25jrjr
06-10-2017, 01:47 PM
Passing points are great. Pulling pills instead of qualifying is ridiculous, your whole line up order based on a lottery ticket and luck is not.

Im ok with that as long as you get 2 heat races to improve your position.

Matt49
06-10-2017, 03:11 PM
Draw for start position of your first heat race and completely invert the starting position of your second heat race. Best average finish starts on the pole of the feature. This doesn't solve the problem of ending up with stacked heats but it does make for some good racing. That is unless you have junk cars starting up front and then you're going to tear up some good ones but that isn't usually and issue at an event like the Dream.

25jrjr
06-10-2017, 11:07 PM

You're right. Bobby passed an amazing 13 cars and won $2,950.

Meanwhile Bloomer passed 6 cars and won $100,000!

See the difference!

#FALSuperman
06-11-2017, 06:22 AM
You're right. Bobby passed an amazing 13 cars and won the "most cars passed" trophy and collected $2,950.Meanwhile Bloomer passed 6 cars and won $100,000!See the difference!That's not even correct...McDowell passed 15 cars (21st to 6th).