PDA

View Full Version : Golden Isles Speedway Closing.

Phillip Michael Knight
07-06-2017, 12:19 PM
Golden Isles Speedway
6 July 2017

We regret to announce that as of today July 6th, 2017, Golden Isles Speedway is closing its doors for the remainder of the 2017 season.

For drivers, the points received as of July 1st will be the final points standing of the season. Champions of each division will receive earnings from the points fund at the end of the year.
We wish everyone a great year.

Best regards,
Golden Isles Speedway

Highwayman
07-06-2017, 01:18 PM
Hate to hear this. Best of luck in future. Fastest track I've ever been to, ever.

TerryM
07-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Hopefully this is resolved in time for their big weekend in February

Phillip Michael Knight
07-06-2017, 05:21 PM
Does anyone know, why they are closing down?

dirtcrazy4u
07-06-2017, 07:33 PM
Fastest track you've ever been too ? The ownership spent a lot of cash in 2017 updates. I was there for this year's opening Lucas deal. It was a one lane train race, both nights.

weatherman85
07-06-2017, 07:39 PM
Haven't been there in years but it was one of the fastest joints back in the 90s and early 2000s before it was shortened. Never like to see this type of news.

Slideways
07-06-2017, 08:27 PM
I was there several times, when it was super fast.
Back when it had an oil/clay surface... it was unreal.

Barbecueboy
07-06-2017, 09:37 PM
It scared drivers back then........

The facility now is very cool, the racing for whatever reason just hasn't been that great past few years.

25jrjr
07-06-2017, 09:40 PM
Its a local track for me. It was scary fast back when it was oil based. Madden holds the track record at 144mph.

Honestly, Ive never seen a good side by side race there.

golddirt
07-06-2017, 09:43 PM
So why is it closing

Clayton_Wetter
07-07-2017, 05:17 PM
Probably because the racing had no passing and the stands weren't full enough.

Highwayman
07-07-2017, 05:23 PM
Fastest track you've ever been too ? The ownership spent a lot of cash in 2017 updates. I was there for this year's opening Lucas deal. It was a one lane train race, both nights. Yes it was, "The Fastest". Before the remodel/downsize several years ago the DLM's were topping 172 MPH on the back stretch(1998), before spread bore engines and 900HP. Originally it was an oil based, BIG 5/8 mile D-shaped oval, looked like asphalt. Second fastest behind that was the old Cherokee Speedway before its downsizing, but they only were hitting low/mid 150's there.
Its a local track for me. It was scary fast back when it was oil based. Madden holds the track record at 144mph. Honestly, Ive never seen a good side by side race there. Thats a lap average of 144 MPH... Yes Ms. Daisy, they be honkin'!

RRRKKK
07-07-2017, 05:26 PM
What bull(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) 172 MPH that's faster than the Springfield mile. Look junior member that's a lie and we all know it!

Highwayman
07-07-2017, 05:37 PM
What bull(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) 172 MPH that's faster than the Springfield mile. Look junior member that's a lie and we all know it!

Its not a lie thank you and I'm 47, son. I've been on/off 4m since 99'.
Springfield has no banking to speak of and far less traction.

Clayton_Wetter
07-07-2017, 05:57 PM
I found this pertinent article at: race-track.com

HOME
Golden Isles Speedway: 2005 Super Bowl of Racing

GOLDEN ISLES SPEEDWAY GETS STOCK CAR RACING SEASON UNDERWAY WITH SUCCESS OF "SUPER BOWL OF RACING 2005" IN FRONT OF HUGE CROWDS AT BRUNSWICK, GA

Darrell Lanigan, Stacy Roberts, Scott Bloomquist and Ronnie Johnson Score Late Model Wins

New Track Record Established at Fastest Short Track in America

(Brunswick, GA February 6, 2005) The official start to the 2005 stock car racing season saw the green flag wave on star-studded fields of cars at Golden Isles Speedway during the "Super Bowl of Racing 2005". With mother nature not cooperating during the first two days of the scheduled events, a patient gathering of racers and a huge following of race fans were thrilled on Friday night when the cars roared to life with action packed excitement. Night one got underway with a new track record being set on the lightning fast five-eighths surface of Golden Isles Speedway when Georgetown, Tennessee ace Skip Arp roared around the track in an elapsed time of 15.723 seconds shattering the previous track record by nearly five miles per hour. Scott Bloomquist's prior record of 16.246 seconds had stood for over eleven years until Arp's lap rocked the capacity crowd with his average speed topping the charts at 143.102 mph.

Little did the crowd realize that within twenty-four hours the unbelievable speed record would be shattered yet again when Darrell Lanigan took his Gotta Race Racewear sponsored dirt late model around Golden Isles Speedway in 15.699 seconds setting a brand new track record with a speed of 143.321 mph, average. The crowd roared its approval of Lanigan's lap and then reeled with enthusiasm at the news that law enforcement officials had clocked Lanigan on their radar guns at 174 mph at the end of the back stretch of Golden Isles Speedway and placing an exclamation mark on the speedway's claim as the fastest short track in America.

dirtcrazy4u
07-07-2017, 06:20 PM
Before I ever heard about the place. No dirt car should be reaching 170's.

ClampedUp
07-07-2017, 06:41 PM
Its not a lie thank you and I'm 47, son. I've been on/off 4m since 99'.
Springfield has no banking to speak of and far less traction.

Sammy Swindell turned a lap of 145.637 MPH on that no banking far less traction Springfield Mile track to set a new world record on a mile dirt track eclipsing the former one mile dirt track record held by Billy Pauch at another no banking far less traction Syracuse Mile at 144.590.

chupp n bloomer fan
07-07-2017, 06:43 PM
What bull(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) 172 MPH that's faster than the Springfield mile. Look junior member that's a lie and we all know it!I'd think you were the junior member beings you didn't know how fast they were hitting at the old Golden Isles.

25jrjr
07-07-2017, 11:09 PM
Yes it was, "The Fastest". Before the remodel/downsize several years ago the DLM's were topping 172 MPH on the back stretch(1998), before spread bore engines and 900HP. Originally it was an oil based, BIG 5/8 mile D-shaped oval, looked like asphalt. Second fastest behind that was the old Cherokee Speedway before its downsizing, but they only were hitting low/mid 150's there. Thats a lap average of 144 MPH... Yes Ms. Daisy, they be honkin'!

Yesssssiiirrrrr......I seent it with my own 2 eyes! :)

MI Dirt Fan
07-07-2017, 11:17 PM
Was it loud?

Hoosier
07-08-2017, 02:04 AM
I don't know if it's a high point or a low point, but a memorable point was when the track's safe was stolen one night in the midst of their big winter show. Two rednecks were later arrested, I think.

3 wide
07-08-2017, 07:37 AM
That is what happens when you got a one lane race track they spent all that money putting in new stands but they didn't fix their race track.

zyoung25
07-08-2017, 08:24 AM
It was my first trip down there in February for the Lucas openers, fantastic facility, but you could the owner had no clue what he was doing.

The word was, the new owners bought the land around the track to store the new cars on, and the race track came with it. I can't remember what the number was they were getting a month to store those cars on, but it several thousands of dollars. It'll surprise me if we ever see this place open again. The new owners didn't want a race track, to begin with so unless they can find someone to promote and run it, it will be turned into a storage area too I bet.

It sucks for the fans in that area. Me and my buddy met several nice people that were regulars every weekend. They invited us into their pit area parking spots for food. I did find it strange that they were letting people drink in the pit area.

It's never a good thing when a race track closes regardless of how the racing was for us that were there every now and then.

Highwayman
07-08-2017, 09:43 AM
Before I ever heard about the place. No dirt car should be reaching 170's.I agree in principle with you, but back then the track had no outside walls except down the front stretch. Off the back stretch and corners it was wide open fields with a stand of pine trees encircling the property about 1/2 mile out. So lots of run off room if you exit the surface at a high rate of speed. A friend of mine(#22 Stan Massey) ran his new Mastersbilt off GIS and had to re-clip it in the front afterwards, but the story he tells of the experience is priceless.

Sammy Swindell turned a lap of 145.637 MPH on that no banking far less traction Springfield Mile track to set a new world record on a mile dirt track eclipsing the former one mile dirt track record held by Billy Pauch at another no banking far less traction Syracuse Mile at 144.590.
You do know outlaw sprint cars and super late models are different, right? Probably #1000 difference in weight and much more down-force, so I'm not sure what your point is... If you took my comments on Springfield as derogatory then you misunderstood my comments. My point was comparing the old GIS to Springfield Mile is Apples to Oranges. Yes Springfield is longer than GIS ever was, but GIS had much more traction available and was capable of generating higher corner speeds which resulted in higher "Documented" terminal velocity. Long straights alone just doesn't match up, that's it. I for one love all the mid-western mile tracks, I've seen several AMA races at those facilities that were unbelievable back in the day, not to mention the Silver Crown and ARCA races. They provide a different style of race that a lot of fans can't appreciate if they're only used to something like FALS or some other short hooked up facility. I can appreciate the virtues of most all the dirt type facilities from bull ring to Eldora, from Swamp Tacky to hard packed slick red clay. So don't take my points on Springfield vs GIS as insulting in anyway, just facts is all.

Cardirt0
07-08-2017, 11:06 AM
I agree in principle with you, but back then the track had no outside walls except down the front stretch. Off the back stretch and corners it was wide open fields with a stand of pine trees encircling the property about 1/2 mile out. So lots of run off room if you exit the surface at a high rate of speed. A friend of mine(#22 Stan Massey) ran his new Mastersbilt off GIS and had to re-clip it in the front afterwards, but the story he tells of the experience is priceless.

You do know outlaw sprint cars and super late models are different, right? Probably #1000 difference in weight and much more down-force, so I'm not sure what your point is... If you took my comments on Springfield as derogatory then you misunderstood my comments. My point was comparing the old GIS to Springfield Mile is Apples to Oranges. Yes Springfield is longer than GIS ever was, but GIS had much more traction available and was capable of generating higher corner speeds which resulted in higher "Documented" terminal velocity. Long straights alone just doesn't match up, that's it. I for one love all the mid-western mile tracks, I've seen several AMA races at those facilities that were unbelievable back in the day, not to mention the Silver Crown and ARCA races. They provide a different style of race that a lot of fans can't appreciate if they're only used to something like FALS or some other short hooked up facility. I can appreciate the virtues of most all the dirt type facilities from bull ring to Eldora, from Swamp Tacky to hard packed slick red clay. So don't take my points on Springfield vs GIS as insulting in anyway, just facts is all.

ARCA at Springfield something all should see once in there life time...And the Silver Crown are fun too...

dirtcrazy4u
07-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Nascrap needs to take the Xfinity series to springfield. The place would be jammed with people. Problem is it makes to much sense. Sòoooooo, it will never happen.

Cardirt0
07-08-2017, 04:46 PM
Xfinity today watched the 18 win... so I will not watch them this year no more... Nascrap drivers need to stay a way and race in there race....$ucks when the A$$hole like busch need to come and prove they dont belong there... But would love to see Xfinity there on the mile....