PDA

View Full Version : Clayton Wetter

NY DIRT
07-23-2017, 01:30 PM
I know that a few years back you were big on going to google earth and finding out the actual size of some of the speedways.
I always felt as though Eldora speedway and Toledo speedway were the same size.
Could you check out these 2 speedways and find out how close they are in actual size.

The reason I want to know is that I see that a winged sprint car time trialed at 12.14 at Toledo and I am pretty sure that the Track record at Eldora is around 12.79

bill39
07-23-2017, 04:28 PM
im not clayton but had some time so i fired up google earth... toledo measures .43 around the inside and .49 on the outside wall eldora measured at .39 on the inside and .48 on the outside

NY DIRT
07-23-2017, 10:12 PM
im not clayton but had some time so i fired up google earth... toledo measures .43 around the inside and .49 on the outside wall eldora measured at .39 on the inside and .48 on the outside

Thank you for coming up with this information. It looks like Toledo is just a little bit larger overall and both of these tracks are SMALLER then a half mile...

CIRF
07-23-2017, 10:23 PM
Not many true half mile dirt tracks left that are used for auto racing. Terre Haute and The Belleville High Banks are a couple of the last in the Midwest.

Josh Bayko
07-23-2017, 10:35 PM
Not many true half mile dirt tracks left that are used for auto racing. Terre Haute and The Belleville High Banks are a couple of the last in the Midwest.

Williams Grove, Selinsgrove, Port Royal, Bedford and PPMS are all true half miles still running in PA.

Hoosier
07-24-2017, 04:22 PM
Rome, in GA, is a true half mile, and claims to be the fastest.

MI Dirt Fan
07-24-2017, 05:25 PM
Hartford (still in operation) claims a half mile.

Not anymore I don't think. They downsized it some.

MI Dirt Fan
07-24-2017, 05:26 PM
Williams Grove, Selinsgrove, Port Royal, Bedford and PPMS are all true half miles still running in PA.

PA isn't in the Midwest. It's in the Northeast

Josh Bayko
07-24-2017, 05:57 PM
PA isn't in the Midwest. It's in the Northeast

He didn't say in the Midwest, he said there weren't that many half miles left in operation in general. I was just mentioning some of the half miles out this way.

MI Dirt Fan
07-24-2017, 06:04 PM
My post was in reference to your post after you quoted Cirf which he mentioned Midwest.

MUD MAESTRO
07-24-2017, 06:23 PM
West Liberty Ia and Davenport Ia are half mile tracks and may even be bigger.Any one Know for sure?

Clayton_Wetter
07-24-2017, 06:39 PM
I know that a few years back you were big on going to google earth and finding out the actual size of some of the speedways.
I always felt as though Eldora speedway and Toledo speedway were the same size.
Could you check out these 2 speedways and find out how close they are in actual size.

The reason I want to know is that I see that a winged sprint car time trialed at 12.14 at Toledo and I am pretty sure that the Track record at Eldora is around 12.79

My measurement of Eldora around the outside wall is 2680 ft. Which is 40 feet over a half mile right on the wall itself. Of course the cars run a bit shorter distance. I consider Eldora as a true half miler.

I just measured Toledo at 2630 FT. around the outside wall.

These are what I have come up with. I thought Toledo might be bigger but I did measure it twice.

Highside Hustler25
07-24-2017, 07:06 PM
West Liberty Ia and Davenport Ia are half mile tracks and may even be bigger.Any one Know for sure?

I always thought Davenport was larger than the 1/2 mile advertised. Just seems big.

Clayton_Wetter
07-24-2017, 07:08 PM
BTW my measurements on ROME are 1980 FT. On the outside wall.

Bubstr
07-24-2017, 07:13 PM
I was told Davenport was a half mile on the bottom. West Liberrty took the same gear as Davenport, back in the day. Iowa also has Oskalosa a half mile Knoxville, Eldon, 34 raceway and Donnelson are short half miles I believe there are a couple in the north west part of Iowa too. DesMoines Fairgrounds got put to pasture.

NY DIRT
07-25-2017, 11:33 AM
My measurement of Eldora around the outside wall is 2680 ft. Which is 40 feet over a half mile right on the wall itself. Of course the cars run a bit shorter distance. I consider Eldora as a true half miler.

I just measured Toledo at 2630 FT. around the outside wall.

These what I have come up with. I thought Toledo might be bigger but I did measure it twice.

Check out the measurement of the inside wall of both, that way we can average what it is in the middle of each track. Can not be considered a true half mile if the cars can travel a shorter distance. Everytime I see time trials at Eldora the cars are in the middle of the track in the turns...

Clayton_Wetter
07-25-2017, 06:59 PM
Check out the measurement of the inside wall of both, that way we can average what it is in the middle of each track. Can not be considered a true half mile if the cars can travel a shorter distance. Everytime I see time trials at Eldora the cars are in the middle of the track in the turns...

I don't know where the cars run at Toledo but at Eldora they are usually real close to the outside wall and also they don't run near the inside of the track.

NY DIRT
07-26-2017, 02:08 PM
I don't know where the cars run at Toledo but at Eldora they are usually real close to the outside wall and also they don't run near the inside of the track.

This is a good discussion we are having here and I have to agree with you about the cars running at the top of the speedway at Eldora. However they are doing this when the track is slower and the top of the track is the quickest way to go then.

So what I did was go to you tube and type in the track record for late models at Eldora and BINGO there it was. It was set on Sept. 12th 2015 and it showed the two qualifying laps by Chris fergesen (excuse the spelling) You can clearly see that he was in the middle of the turns not the top so he did not cover a full half mile in distance. So there you have it. Video is clear proof of where the quickest speed is at Eldora...

Right or wrong, You still Da Man and if you should run for president of the 4M forum, You got my vote...

CIRF
07-26-2017, 02:32 PM
So what I did was go to you tube and type in the track record for late models at Eldora and BINGO there it was. It was set on Sept. 12th 2015 and it showed the two qualifying laps by Chris fergesen (excuse the spelling) You can clearly see that he was in the middle of the turns not the top so he did not cover a full half mile in distance. So there you have it. Video is clear proof of where the quickest speed is at Eldora....Even when measured on the extreme high side of the track right next to the outside wall Eldora isn't a legitimate 1/2 mile. It lacks at least a couple of hundred feet of being a true 1/2 mile. And when measured in the middle of the track where you say the late model track record was set it's even substantially shorter.

Clayton_Wetter
07-26-2017, 03:59 PM
This is a good discussion we are having here and I have to agree with you about the cars running at the top of the speedway at Eldora. However they are doing this when the track is slower and the top of the track is the quickest way to go then.

So what I did was go to you tube and type in the track record for late models at Eldora and BINGO there it was. It was set on Sept. 12th 2015 and it showed the two qualifying laps by Chris fergesen (excuse the spelling) You can clearly see that he was in the middle of the turns not the top so he did not cover a full half mile in distance. So there you have it. Video is clear proof of where the quickest speed is at Eldora...

Right or wrong, You still Da Man and if you should run for president of the 4M forum, You got my vote...

Do they run high at Toledo? I have never been there.

You are right about Fergusen's lap. Usually they run higher as the cushion moves up sooner than when Fergusen did his lap. Best I remember the track was wetter than usual from a rain.

Looks like the track is about ten feet wider at Eldora than Toledo on average.

NY DIRT
07-26-2017, 05:34 PM
Do they run high at Toledo? I have never been there.

You are right about Fergusen's lap. Usually they run higher as the cushion moves up sooner than when Fergusen did his lap. Best I remember the track was wetter than usual from a rain.

Looks like the track is about ten feet wider at Eldora than Toledo on average.

The wetter the faster, you know that

As far as Toledo, they run on the bottom in the turns and middle to top on the straghts

Clayton_Wetter
07-26-2017, 08:26 PM
Wikipedia for Eldora says the track is:

0.804 Kilometers which equals 0.49958244 of a mile.

CIRF
07-26-2017, 08:38 PM
Wikipedia for Eldora says the track is:

0.804 Kilometers which equals 0.49958244 of a mile.

Clay, when measuring Eldora on the extreme outside I come up with only 2450' which figures out to .465 of a mile.

Clayton_Wetter
07-26-2017, 09:13 PM
Clay, when measuring Eldora on the extreme outside I come up with only 2450' which figures out to .465 of a mile.

I measured it at 2680 ft. which is forty feet over a half mile. But I am going to try it again soon to see what I get.

birky time
07-27-2017, 11:00 AM
how about Florence ky track what size is it?

CIRF
07-27-2017, 02:49 PM
how about Florence ky track what size is it?bt, Florence measures out at right about 2050' right up against the outside wall. That would figure out to .388 of a mile. Just a bit over 3/8's of a mile. But, as I said, that is measured right up by the wall. Obviously it's going to measure considerably shorter down low on the bottom.

Black I
07-27-2017, 02:53 PM
Can ya do Sycamore CW, Cirf? Thanks :)

Clayton_Wetter
07-27-2017, 06:05 PM
how about Florence ky track what size is it?

I measured Florence at real close to a 4/10 of a mile outside wall. Im';m going to recheck it for the total feet OD.

2115 FEET OD equals;

2115 Feet is equal to
= 0.400568181818 Miles

CIRF
07-27-2017, 08:06 PM
Can ya do Sycamore CW, Cirf? Thanks :)No problem, Blackie. The big track at Sycamore measures approximately 1590' way out by the wall. That figures out to .30 of a mile, or just shy of 1/3rd. The small track measures 1050' on the outside which figures out to .19 of a mile or basically 1/5 mile. However, I'm not sure if I'm measuring it correctly. It could be longer or it could be shorter depending on what line they use to race on.

BloomerHarvickFan
07-28-2017, 06:45 AM
For measurements, I know NASCAR measures the distance 15' from the outside wall.
As far as calling a track a half mile, really, anything over 4.5/10 could be technically listed as half mile.
Since they don't use km or feet, or any other more precise measurement.
It seems that Bull's Gap always listed itself as a 4/10 mile.

Josh Bayko
07-28-2017, 07:37 AM
For measurements, I know NASCAR measures the distance 15' from the outside wall.
As far as calling a track a half mile, really, anything over 4.5/10 could be technically listed as half mile.
Since they don't use km or feet, or any other more precise measurement.
It seems that Bull's Gap always listed itself as a 4/10 mile.

Other tracks I've seen list themselves as a 4/10 are Lernerville and Charlotte.

NY DIRT
07-28-2017, 12:09 PM
If it is good racing does it really matter

If the racing is good, that,s what really counts.

However when they start the bull$hit about being the fastest half mile in the country and are really less then half, that is called FAKE NEWS.

CIRF
07-28-2017, 12:19 PM
It don't if indeed it is good. Its an interesting topic and that does matter imo if that was a question?Good point, Blackie. Don't mind racer x16. I believe that's litey making another futile attempt to not get banned.....again! LOL!

One place we attend on a semi-regular basis is bad-nasty fast and only measures 1575' on the outside which figures out to .28 mile. Both the 410 wingless sprint cars and the full on midgets seem to be wicked fast. That place would be Kokomo Raceway. I've been to other tracks which measure a few hundred feet longer that seem much slower.

Another example is Eldora. It seems noticeably faster than Terre Haute in spite of the fact that Eldora is considerably shorter in length. I understand the banking and track configuration has something to do with it but Terre Haute measures 3000' compared to Eldora's 2500'. That's a football field and 2/3rds of another. I'm guessing the speeds at the end of the straight away's would be higher at THAT but the overall sensation of speed in the grandstands is much greater at Eldora.