PDA

View Full Version : PDC peaked or can grow bigger?

MUD MAESTRO
07-30-2017, 09:50 PM
The PDC has seen unbelievable growth the last 5 years since the date change and the arrival of WoO. Of course the great racing surface is the hook that brings late models fans to the Mecca of Illinois short track dirt racing but can it continue to grow or will it out grow its facilities? Huge crowds and high car counts are great but the venue is bursting at the seams. More seating and improved rest rooms have temporally addressed a need to host such a popular event but pit space is becoming limited and parking for fans is a nightmare......Offering shuttle service to far away parking lots would help the parking problem. Make Saturdays program Late model semis and feature with the mod feature only on Saturday. Clearing the pits of 40 or so mods certainly eases room in the pits and moves the main show along.

Note.....Great LM feature for the first 50 laps and great LM feature for the last 50 laps to determine runner ups. Just my observation.

Krooser
07-30-2017, 10:07 PM
Amen.......

golddirt
07-30-2017, 10:08 PM
Has become a big cluster :;!,

kidrock
07-30-2017, 10:29 PM
2 complete shows for Friday and Saturday. 15,000 to 20,000 to win each night.

highgroove
07-31-2017, 12:42 AM
Really can't expand the facility. it's in a neighborhood surrounded by houses on 3 sides and a public golf course on the other side....they can't add anymore seats because they have no room for parking now...
the track is owned by the AMERICAN LEGION so l don't think they have the assets to spend money on buying property for expansion. as a guy that stays in a motorhome at the track, it's hard for me to say,
but the campers take up a lot of space at the track.. if they could move camping somewhere close to the track it would create a lot more parking or some more pits.... it's my favorite place to go ,so l hope it continues for years to come....

Zonks32x
07-31-2017, 12:55 AM
For the sake of the fans and sport, I hope the PDC keeps getting bigger and better.

Think they have the 1st step covered...support of the town.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-31-2017, 12:59 AM
For the sake of the fans and sport, I hope the PDC keeps getting bigger and better.

Think they have the 1st step covered...support of the town.

Bigger isn't always better. They have a nice thing going.

Shiny Side Up 18
07-31-2017, 02:34 AM
It won't be easy to expand seating. Short of completely redoing the backstretch seating, they could maybe squeeze one more smaller set of bleachers where the bus sits in turn 2. Hopefully they can do PPV in the future as that should ease the demand just a bit.

Highside Hustler25
07-31-2017, 04:38 AM

Indeed it has. When you get to a track 2 hours early and still have to park in B F Egypt, not good. I would rather it go back to being unsanctioned.

turnleftandgasit
07-31-2017, 06:13 AM
I parked against the south fence at the water plant and got there between 4 and 430 both days. Come into town from the south and you dont have to deal with the "city" traffic.

kidrock
07-31-2017, 06:31 AM
You're very observant, when you want to be. :cool:

I have never been a fan of the two day shows. I have never been to two day shows and never will unless they run 2 complete shows.

thugginsince89
07-31-2017, 06:38 AM
Loved this years format basically 8 features friday night. Saturday it seemed like there was a lack of racing. Would like to see the #FALS Draw come back. There has been rumors all year that the track is adding more seating in turn 2. It is defiantly needed.

Pennsboro23
07-31-2017, 07:18 AM
It was my first time at FALS, and I was impressed. I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about, you Illinois boys are lucky to have that place. I've never seen a race track race like it does. Loved the cushion and slide jobs, wish the bottom would have been a little better but it was a great show nonetheless. The atmosphere was great. Sure the place was packed but I wouldn't care if I had to walk a mile to get to the track. We definitely will be back next year.

chathamracefan
07-31-2017, 08:05 AM
It was a fabulous weekend. Would seem the next step is for there to be a live PPV availability as the place is truly limited from getting much bigger barring some major investment in new seating. I wonder if doing something different with the covered grandstand is in their long range plans? A big section of stadium type bleachers there could go up fairly high & seat more people than are currently seated there. Would cost lots of $ tho.

MI Dirt Fan
07-31-2017, 08:10 AM
I have never been a fan of the two day shows. I have never been to two day shows and never will unless they run 2 complete shows.

How do you know if your not a fan of them if you haven't been to one?

dualdj1
07-31-2017, 08:13 AM
There's a lot of nostalgia with the Grandstands. They are important to the fair people (and the Fairbury Fair is a big part of the history there - 141st annual is this year), plus as mentioned the cost to replace them would be very high. So I believe long term plan for them is just maintenance at this point. But the board always looks at all options and will continue doing whatever they can to improve the grounds and make the events better.

JMill99m
07-31-2017, 08:26 AM

It was your loss this weekend. Awesome features Friday night.

ptown
07-31-2017, 08:36 AM

I agree too many people now and it's time to get rid of the mortifieds and go to reserved seating in the grandstands. On the blanket run Saturday I seen people falling while running up stairs, elderly and handicapped people getting knocked aside all while Fairbury workers are standing back and laughing.

Edit....And whoever bring those beach balls, those are for the beach not grandstands at a racetrack.

Pennsboro23
07-31-2017, 08:49 AM
I agree too many people now and it's time to get rid of the mortifieds and go to reserved seating in the grandstands. On the blanket run Saturday I seen people falling while running up stairs, elderly and handicapped people getting knocked aside all while Fairbury workers are standing back and laughing.

Edit....And whoever bring those beach balls, those are for the beach not grandstands at a racetrack.

The modifieds put on the best show of the weekend imo.

ptown
07-31-2017, 09:40 AM

I agree, my point was just do late models raise the purse to 50k then the PDC becomes a crown jewel.

ptown
07-31-2017, 09:42 AM
I totally agree. I stoped doing 2ds's 2 or 3 yrs ago. The expense isn't worth it. The Dream, W100, PDC, Illini... I only go Saturday.

I also hate 2 day shows but the new 4 25 laps Friday features format were a game changer for me.

Duke100
07-31-2017, 09:48 AM
Racing was great. They definitely need more seats. The one modified race I watched was the B main where Bob Pohlman in the Cody Williams sponsored ride, broke the driveshaft while running second with a lap to go. He was a wheel man battling for that position. We had 6 seats for the four of us in my family in the front row, and every time we left them, a group of guys were keeping them warm for us. It got a little old after the third or fourth time, they would move around and give us enough room and keep someone else's seat warm behind us. They need to check tickets at the stairway once in a while. They could build more seats in the pit area. For as packed as it is there, their is hardly any spectators in the pits. I'm not a big fan of the redraw, but it does make for more passing. I'm not a person who thinks more passing means better racing.

dirtrackfan4
07-31-2017, 10:50 AM
It will be hard to expand the race track as you have the houses on the north and east sides of the track, a school on the west side, and a golf course and our water works plant on the south/southeast sides. However, there's constant ideas for change. With the grandstands on the front stretch, those have been there for a VERY long time. They have been the same all my life and they continue to do maintenance on them, so I do not see them getting rid of them. With the bus...that bus has been there for MANY years. I would be surprised if they got rid of it.

CIRF
07-31-2017, 11:00 AM
The PDC can, and probably will, get bigger but at this point FALS has just about maxed out their facility capabilities. For this event to get substantially bigger the infrastructure will have to be expanded and that will cost BIG money. The question is whether they have access to the resources and the actual real estate to make the expansions feasible.

A couple of points previously made in this thread probably need to be considered. FALS maybe needs to include all seating as advance reserve. I went over to witness the chaotic nonsense of the blanket stampede. It's beyond ridiculous. The other point previously expressed was to check tickets at the grandstand entrances. There were way too many self centered louts made illiterate and inconsiderate by alcohol who were viewing in places they had no business viewing from.

Last point, which was also made earlier, this event will never become a dirt late model crown jewel event until it is a stand alone DLM show. Nothing against the mortified's but it is what it is.

Final thought, I've been going to Fairbury since I was 8 or 9 years old and I never thought I would see the day when FALS hosted an event the magnitude of the Classic! Hats off to them.

dirtrackfan4
07-31-2017, 11:59 AM
Honestly, I think some of the mod racing was top notch this weekend and at times were better races than a few of the late models. jmo though

Escobar
07-31-2017, 12:01 PM
IMO, keep it this size so it stays a hot ticket. I feel like the intimacy + crazy good racing is what's made it so successful.

thexfactor0210
07-31-2017, 12:10 PM
Rumor was they were attempting to purchase the school land across the track. There was supposed to be another school built in another part of town

TackyTracker
07-31-2017, 12:25 PM
keep them beach balls out of the grandstand... that's about my only complaint

Highside Hustler25
07-31-2017, 12:28 PM

Honestly, I think some of the mod racing was top notch this weekend and at times were better races than a few of the late models. jmo though

I agree with both and I'm not a fan of the modifieds. Someone needs to check Harrison's tires:p

JMill99m
07-31-2017, 12:30 PM

I highly doubt any of the workers were laughing at people getting hurt. I was one of the workers over there and they asked me to help cause we were in shock with how many people were in line. We were not expecting that. I would assume changes will be made next year and improvements will be done. That's how we work. #FALS

Highside Hustler25
07-31-2017, 12:35 PM
For as packed as it is there, their is hardly any spectators in the pits.

Not true. New pit stands in 4 were packed. The stand only section was 3 and 4 rows deep. Pits were stuffed.

427c.i.
07-31-2017, 12:49 PM
Keep it the way it is! Both nights had about 4 hours of great racing action. The mods put on a great show, the late models put on a great show. The format with the "features" on Friday playing into the big show on Saturday was fantastic!
IMO, they hit on the perfect format! Keep it the way it is and add PPV.

My only complaint is the golf carts...why people feel the need to keep driving in circles through a crowded pit area is beyond me.

ptown
07-31-2017, 12:54 PM
I highly doubt any of the workers were laughing at people getting hurt. I was one of the workers over there and they asked me to help cause we were in shock with how many people were in line. We were not expecting that. I would assume changes will be made next year and improvements will be done. That's how we work. #FALS

Please check your reading comprehension.....I never said they were laughing at people getting hurt, they were laughing at the whole cluster of a process and the way people were running to get the seats they wanted.

One solution is open the grandstands Friday morning and allow blankets to remain for Saturday, then you would at least eliminate one day of that joke of a processes.

Bubstr
07-31-2017, 12:58 PM
The two biggest problems are the old grandstands on the front straight and the half mile track, not parking. You can park anywhere you can run a shuttle to. Knoxville does it for over 20,000 people.

Narrow that front stretch 1/2 mile to a minimum and put high bleachers and sky boxes around to the back stretch bleachers. A elevator also.

JMill99m
07-31-2017, 01:08 PM
One solution is open the grandstands Friday morning and allow blankets to remain for Saturday, then you would at least eliminate one day of that joke of a processes.[/QUOTE]

Then your Saturday only crowd is upset with the seating. There's no way of making everyone happy. I'm sure we will be evaluating the situation and make it better next year. Thanks for coming.

MI Dirt Fan
07-31-2017, 01:18 PM
Can you imagine how many more people would've been there had JD been there? lol

ptown
07-31-2017, 01:32 PM
[/QUOTE]Then your Saturday only crowd is upset with the seating. There's no way of making everyone happy. I'm sure we will be evaluating the situation and make it better next year. Thanks for coming.[/QUOTE]

Penalize the people that pay for two nights to make the people that only show up Saturday happy?

dmr37
07-31-2017, 01:45 PM
The seating is enough for all the other weeks. Can the very large expense of expansion be justified?

t4g2
07-31-2017, 01:59 PM
Rumor i heard on reserved seats is you have to buy your wrist band for the weekend with your reserved seats and if thats the case that will free up some seats.

Penesboro and illstate32 welcome and hope you all had a great time, and your seats are available to you next year just let me know in march if you def want them or not.
As always had a great time racingfool32 and thanks for the arkansas watermelon

Pennsboro23
07-31-2017, 02:11 PM
Rumor i heard on reserved seats is you have to buy your wrist band for the weekend with your reserved seats and if thats the case that will free up some seats.

Penesboro and illstate32 welcome and hope you all had a great time, and your seats are available to you next year just let me know in march if you def want them or not.
As always had a great time racingfool32 and thanks for the arkansas watermelon

We had a great time, definitely will be back. Thanks for the reserved seats, and it was nice meeting you guys!

klemmabyna
07-31-2017, 02:46 PM
not specific to this event, but those (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) blankets are one of the reasons I won't attempt to get to a big show after work.

PDC obviously doesn't need me to break even, but reserved seating or tickets with seat assignments would reduce the general admission chaos.

JMO

Illtsate32
07-31-2017, 02:57 PM
Rumor i heard on reserved seats is you have to buy your wrist band for the weekend with your reserved seats and if thats the case that will free up some seats.Penesboro and illstate32 welcome and hope you all had a great time, and your seats are available to you next year just let me know in march if you def want them or not.As always had a great time racingfool32 and thanks for the arkansas watermelonWe loved it it lived up to everything I expected it to be..love the atmosphere of the whole place..we are already making plans for next year thanks once again...

dirtrackfan4
07-31-2017, 03:00 PM
Rumor was they were attempting to purchase the school land across the track. There was supposed to be another school built in another part of townThis is not true as I'm from Fairbury. There was another school that closed in Forrest which is bringing more kids to that school in Fairbury as we are a consolidated school district. If they would ever build another school somewhere else, I'm sure the track would jump all over buying that group to make for more room.

dirtrackfan4
07-31-2017, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=t4g2;2123677]Rumor i heard on reserved seats is you have to buy your wrist band for the weekend with your reserved seats and if thats the case that will free up some seats.They tried that at one time where you paid for it all at once when you came in. It sounds like an idea, but it actually ends up being a clustered mess!! Trust me...mine was part of the mess as with my group, we have 37 reserved seats (yes, I said 37) and I have that many people who come for the PDC race every year. Trying to make sure everyone pays for this and that will make for more headache when you come in the gate than already is. That's when they started doing the reserved seats online as well as camping early in the year before the season starts to avoid such a headache. My hat is off to Gunner Sullivan for starting that whole idea and concept!!

427c.i.
07-31-2017, 04:08 PM
Just make every seat a reserved seat.
I do think PPV would help with the over crowding.
If the event is as big as it can get fan wise, then so be it. Nothing wrong with the event being SOLD OUT.

cjp0354
07-31-2017, 04:13 PM
-the parking issue could be solved by the farmer that has the huge hay field 1/4 south of the track. Either move the campers there or Park cars there and shuttle to the track. This would also clear up room for pit parking.

-please make people pay the full amount online for their tickets and not just $10 reserve fee. People are abusing this by 1 person takin 4 seats (I witnessed this on saturday).

-I doubt they could move the main grandstands but I would look into getting bleachers in turn 2. Maybe even turn 1. Make every seat reserved. Maybe make the seats on front stretch only $5 extra since they are not as good of seats.

-don't get rid of the modifieds, they put on a great show.

These are my ideas to improve the show. Either way I will be there.

Clayton_Wetter
07-31-2017, 04:36 PM
The PDC can, and probably will, get bigger but at this point FALS has just about maxed out their facility capabilities. For this event to get substantially bigger the infrastructure will have to be expanded and that will cost BIG money. The question is whether they have access to the resources and the actual real estate to make the expansions feasible.

A couple of points previously made in this thread probably need to be considered. FALS maybe needs to include all seating as advance reserve. I went over to witness the chaotic nonsense of the blanket stampede. It's beyond ridiculous. The other point previously expressed was to check tickets at the grandstand entrances. There were way too many self centered louts made illiterate and inconsiderate by alcohol who were viewing in places they had no business viewing from.

Last point, which was also made earlier, this event will never become a dirt late model crown jewel event until it is a stand alone DLM show. Nothing against the mortified's but it is what it is.

Final thought, I've been going to Fairbury since I was 8 or 9 years old and I never thought I would see the day when FALS hosted an event the magnitude of the Classic! Hats off to them.

Not all so called Crown Jewels are stand alone races. Florence has Mods and also Streets.

Fairbury is a Crown Jewel in my opinion. It beats most other "Jewels" to pieces on track prep and great racing.

Clayton_Wetter
07-31-2017, 04:41 PM
Can you imagine how many more people would've been there had JD been there? lol

Just one, ole Sliding Sideways. But even that is doubtful as he would get lost attempting to cross state lines. :)

He lives in the State of Confusion ya know.

CIRF
07-31-2017, 04:55 PM
Then your Saturday only crowd is upset with the seating. There's no way of making everyone happy. I'm sure we will be evaluating the situation and make it better next year. Thanks for coming.

Yes there is a way to keep everyone happy. Announce in October that all seats will be advance reserve and lay out the ticket purchasing process at the time of the announcement.

That way Fairbury has all the ticket money on interest from October (or whenever they choose to start renewing the tickets) until the expenses have to be paid. And, they won't have to sweat the insane blanket stampede! Eldora has been doing it that way since my first World Hundred in 1984.

Gotta' love the suggestion that Fairbury put in luxury sky boxes and escalators all the way around the speedway but it won't happen in a million-trillion years!

#FALSuperman
07-31-2017, 05:41 PM
Florence is a Crown Jewel with Mods and 50K as someone said...also, there are definitely plans for expansion. You guys need to realize the backstretch seats can be added onto. Think UP not necessarily just across. 30K is just the beginning as far as payout goes. Also, PPV will happen sooner than you think. It obviously will just make everyone more money, as the PDC will continue to sell out, regardless.

#FALSuperman
07-31-2017, 05:44 PM
CIRF.....Think again before you say a million trillion years...obviously not the entire track. As I said, think UP

427c.i.
07-31-2017, 06:02 PM
CIRF.....Think again before you say a million trillion years...obviously not the entire track. As I said, think UP

If they go "UP" I hope the people that have top row seats now and have had them for years will get the first opportunity for the new "top row!!"

Also, at what point is it too much...you don't build a church just for Easter Sunday.

#FALSuperman
07-31-2017, 06:43 PM
If they go "UP" I hope the people that have top row seats now and have had them for years will get the first opportunity for the new "top row!!"Also, at what point is it too much...you don't build a church just for Easter Sunday.There's no doubt a "cap" to growth. It will never be Eldora obviously or even close to it. I'm sure whatever "premium expansion seats" there are in the future, the board will be fair in how they decide to release those new seats.

cdustyr1
07-31-2017, 07:14 PM

amen on the beach balls.

cgrace
07-31-2017, 07:24 PM
i appreciate the reserved seat fee as I buy seats for many tracks. add the fee to the frontstretch. IMO it is much better atomosphere than it used to be. 10 years ago you had tons, i mean tons of people falling down drunk. seems like more people are coming for racing. Penn most tracks in illinois have two or three wide racing. we are lucky. I understand moving the race to before Cedar Lake to get drivers there. but this last week was pretty expensive Macon, Brownston and PDC. Personally I liked it before the world but that doesn't help car count.

cgrace
07-31-2017, 07:36 PM
One more thing. Understand all the thank yous on Sat but that entire beginning could be changed. make it about the race, drivers or fans to make it more interesting. maybe draw a ticket to be grand marshall for the night or next years race something. it is painful. might just be me. I'm ready for National Anthem and racing.

cdustyr1
07-31-2017, 07:48 PM
I would say stay tuned, each year the group has listened to issues and found ways to address them, go back and look at each years complaints here and look how they were addressed. Right now they are landlocked but that may not always be the case. Also I know for a fact the board is exploring seating options. One my dad (not a board member) proposed was the expansion of seating in the pits, he had the original idea to put the seating there with the last improvements. I fully trust this group to find solutions to issues. Thank you to everyone who has posted constructive criticism here, they seriously do take it into consideration.

kidrock
07-31-2017, 08:21 PM
I totally agree. I stoped doing 2ds's 2 or 3 yrs ago. The expense isn't worth it. The Dream, W100, PDC, Illini... I only go Saturday.

I have considered going on just Saturday but I just like seeing heat races B-mains and then a A-main. I guess I'm old school. Oh well I sit at home on Saturday and Sunday morning and see the highlights on DoD.

modfan24
07-31-2017, 08:46 PM
Maybe build what Boone has with that cat walk thing in the corners to add more viewing areas.

They have out grown the front stretch bleachers. Sure it's old and historic, but it's not practical in today's standards. The rows are way too narrow. And then the people who feel the need to bring in stadium chairs. Pure ignorance. I seen several spots where those chairs were so big they actually touched the seats behind them when they leaned back in them. You also have the dead space at the very top of those bleachers.

I understand why they wouldn't want to replace it, but it's definitely past it's prime. Also the bus is cool, but that should be the first thing replaced with actual bleachers.

Clayton_Wetter
07-31-2017, 09:01 PM
My friend and I deflated several beach balls at Eldora. If one came our way he would catch it and I had a pen ready for him to press the ball on before throwing it back in the crowd!!! hhahahahaahahaha

turnleftandgasit
07-31-2017, 09:30 PM
My take on the drunks is it was far worse this year than it has been in many years. One was sleeping along side the back stretch beer shack, another puking in the garbage can, and a 3rd required an ambulance because he was passed out in a toilet stall.

golddirt
07-31-2017, 09:33 PM
I see your all against having any fun during down time.

trux
07-31-2017, 09:45 PM
I agree they have done a good job of addressing issues to improve the weekend and it continues to improve each year. I am a fan of the new format. There was basically eight features on Friday night and still plenty of good racing on Saturday.

My only request....conduct all of the ceremonial stuff (except invocation and national anthem) prior to the regular starting time for the program. Love the racing, but anything to move the program along and get us out at a decent time is appreciated.

I have been to all 28 PDC's and am already looking forward to the 29th!

CIRF
07-31-2017, 11:44 PM
CIRF.....Think again before you say a million trillion years...obviously not the entire track. As I said, think UPOh, I'm thinking again.........and up. I can visualize in my minds' eye stands built directly above the old front stretch grandstand complete with Luxury VIP suites and 3 or 4 escalators. Do I believe for a second that it will happen even in my kids' lifetime? Nope.

I don't think there is any doubt that ol' Fairbury is makin' a pile of money on the Classic, just not quite that big of a pile. When the Classic gets as big as the World, The Knoxville Sprint Car Nationals or The Chili Bowl we'll talk about 80' high grandstands fully equipped with VIP suites and escalators. Till then we'll just have to dream about it.

Highside Hustler25
08-01-2017, 05:03 AM
My take on the drunks is it was far worse this year than it has been in many years. One was sleeping along side the back stretch beer shack, another puking in the garbage can, and a 3rd required an ambulance because he was passed out in a toilet stall.

Yes, the drunks are pathetic. Their was one passed out against the inside fence along 1st street @ 4:00. I've never seen the ambulance called in on the spectator end as many times as I did this weekend. Reminded me of the Indy 500 back in the 70's and 80's. Never did understand why someone would pay for admittance, then get drunk till they passed out and then miss the whole race. Total ignorance.

#FALSuperman
08-01-2017, 05:25 AM
Oh, I'm thinking again.........and up. I can visualize in my minds' eye stands built directly above the old front stretch grandstand complete with Luxury VIP suites and 3 or 4 escalators. Do I believe for a second that it will happen even in my kids' lifetime? Nope.I don't think there is any doubt that ol' Fairbury is makin' a pile of money on the Classic, just not quite that big of a pile. When the Classic gets as big as the World, The Knoxville Sprint Car Nationals or The Chili Bowl we'll talk about 80' high grandstands fully equipped with VIP suites and escalators. Till then we'll just have to dream about it.Lol, definitely not getting escalators. That we can agree on...backstretch suites? Hmmm :D catwalk area? We shall see

kidrock
08-01-2017, 06:03 AM
Yes, the drunks are pathetic. Their was one passed out against the inside fence along 1st street @ 4:00. I've never seen the ambulance called in on the spectator end as many times as I did this weekend. Reminded me of the Indy 500 back in the 70's and 80's. Never did understand why someone would pay for admittance, then get drunk till they passed out and then miss the whole race. Total ignorance.

Drunks can ruin your night at the races. I'm with you I never understood those who buy a ticket get wasted and pass out before the race even starts.

ptown
08-01-2017, 08:02 AM

I also seen the passed out idiots plus a few urinating on the backstretch side, time for more police presence all I seen was two cops riding a golf cart, time for two on backstretch side two on front stretch and two in the pits. It's getting out of control.

smoothoperator32
08-01-2017, 08:30 AM
-the parking issue could be solved by the farmer that has the huge hay field 1/4 south of the track.

i doubt the farmer wants his hay field ruined. i know i wouldn't

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
08-01-2017, 08:53 AM
I also seen the passed out idiots plus a few urinating on the backstretch side, time for more police presence all I seen was two cops riding a golf cart, time for two on backstretch side two on front stretch and two in the pits. It's getting out of control.

That was blackie and litey

CIRF
08-01-2017, 09:07 AM
Not all so called Crown Jewels are stand alone races. Florence has Mods and also Streets.

Fairbury is a Crown Jewel in my opinion. It beats most other "Jewels" to pieces on track prep and great racing.Clay, Fairbury most definitely is one of the bright and shiny diamonds in that second tier of "Jewels" (whatever that means). I've never been there but I have no doubts that Florence is a "Jewel", but lets face it, Florence and Fairbury are not the Knoxville Sprint Nationals, the World or The Chili Bowl Nationals. Those three are by far the biggest dirt races in the country and they all three have a common theme. They are, and as far as I can remember always have been, all stand alone events. If the Classic is to enter into the top echelon of dirt events it will have to go to DLM stand alone status. Not sayin', just sayin'. Sheer numbers in the future may dictate that something has to give.

Lol, definitely not getting escalators. That we can agree on...backstretch suites? Hmmm :D catwalk area? We shall seeAbsolutely. One would have to think that backstretch suites and a catwalk are a distinct possibility.

turnleftandgasit
08-01-2017, 11:08 AM
A small suite/crowsnest is already on site. It came with the back stretch stands from Shepp Speedway. Get rid of the beer stand and move the stands together. This will accomplish 2 things, provide more room for more stands, and will provide stairs for the west stands. When they split the stands, the east ones got the stairs.

TackyTracker
08-01-2017, 11:19 AM
get a much bigger school west of town and take over the land right there.. c'mon guys it's so simple right.. Even if they keep it exactly the same the atmosphere was still great and racing was as advertised

turnleftandgasit
08-01-2017, 11:36 AM
I think building a new school in Fairbury is a hard sell, as it would mean the smaller towns in the district would lose another school, and that is a major blow to them.

CIRF
08-01-2017, 12:20 PM
The way the ignoramus's who pretend to run the State of Illinois are going about things these days it's a bit shaky if schools will even open on time later this month. When the funding for primary education infrastructure is local real estate taxes, and with Illinois having one of, if not the highest real estate tax structures in the nation, one would have to be skeptical of any new school construction in the foreseeable future.

Finding the appropriations for a new and bigger school somewhere else in Fairbury and FALS purchasing the school and prober next door, razing the building and making a parking lot of it on the surface seems to be as big of a stretch as high dollar VIP Suites and 80' high grandstands with escalators!

turnleftandgasit
08-01-2017, 12:45 PM
Hopefully mother nature takes care of the POS front stretch stands and we could get something like Morris has.

Shiny Side Up 18
08-01-2017, 01:07 PM
Hopefully mother nature takes care of the POS front stretch stands and we could get something like Morris has.I love FALS as much as the next person, but there's more to the fairgrounds than the racetrack. The covered stands probably won't be going anywhere. If they want to add more seating, I would suggest flipping the straightaways. Also, implying you want a natural disaster to occur is not cool. I'm sure the fair board wouldn't appreciate that. They read this stuff.

turnleftandgasit
08-01-2017, 01:23 PM
Other than the races, they are used for talent shows, demo derbies and tractor pulls. Without the races the place would be closed down, and the kids would show their animals at the 4H fairgrounds in Pontiac. My point about mother nature was pointing out that it is the only way they will be replaced.

Bubstr
08-01-2017, 02:11 PM

But, for the right price anything is possible. Cut the hay right before the race and charge so much a car. You won't know the difference when the final cut comes in the fall. I wouldn't be surprised if it equaled a 4 cut hay field, when 3 cuts is fantastic. Add some overflow camping and you have a good return on that land. If you plant Alfalfa, it might work out better. It isn't like the track would want to use that land for nothing. Track needs parking and Farmer needs compensated for the use of his land.

With a little thought, it could be very profitable for that farmer.

thexfactor0210
08-01-2017, 03:29 PM
Front grandstands gotta go. They are hard enough to walk up and down the aisles and there are a million poles in your eyesight. Take it down and build a new giant set of bleachers please

cjp0354
08-01-2017, 03:46 PM

Fairbury made over $13,000 in campers alone. He could cut the hay before the classic. Make $10,000 and then get another cut after. Campers parked on grass won't ruin it. There's no shortage of hay in Illinois.

turnleftandgasit
08-01-2017, 03:59 PM
Yield is only part of his concern for the hay. Glass and other foreign objects in the field could kill his cattle.

CIRF
08-01-2017, 11:14 PM
You guys talk a good game when it isn't your property that's going to be converted into a parking lot. A large portion of the general public is made up of basically pigs who will pitch every kind of litter, rubbish, crud and corruption known to man anywhere they can get away with throwing it. I don't know the people who own the field in question but it may be that they just want to be free from the leavings of human pigs and be left alone.

CIRF
08-01-2017, 11:37 PM
Other than the races, they are used for talent shows, demo derbies and tractor pulls. Without the races the place would be closed down, and the kids would show their animals at the 4H fairgrounds in Pontiac. My point about mother nature was pointing out that it is the only way they will be replaced.Let's see some credible evidence from a credible source that without the racetrack the Fairbury Fair would be closed down. I've lived less than 45 minutes from Fairbury all my life and never has it been implied that the fair depended solely on the racetrack to continue. Cullom has a junior fair and it's been going on for over 125 years without a racetrack and it's less than 1/2 hour from Fairbury.

The Fairbury Fair has been held for over 140 years. It was around long before there was a FALS and it's a save bet it would go on without FALS if need be.

turnleftandgasit
08-02-2017, 07:46 AM
http://www.sj-r.com/article/20140524/news/140529581 The horse races used to supplement the fairs. When they were ended, the smaller fairs quit growing. Fairbury has the track,, Mclean countu has a captive audience in Bloomington. Without the track, Fairbury would be just like Ford county fair in Melvin, an afterthought. Another example is in FC, their fair has gone down hill as revenue from the track has dried up. Comparing the fair pre/post track doesn't work as society has changed. The fair used to be THE social event of the year for many. People took mid week baths and dressed up like church to attend.

Bubstr
08-02-2017, 09:58 AM
We sometimes make things harder than they really are. If that first farmer don't like the idea, offer that cash cow to the next one down the road. Some one will see the value of thousands of people with cash in their pockets coming to your place, but there is no free lunch, you will have to clean up after.

fryefan
08-02-2017, 08:22 PM
Keep it the way it is! Both nights had about 4 hours of great racing action. The mods put on a great show, the late models put on a great show. The format with the "features" on Friday playing into the big show on Saturday was fantastic!
IMO, they hit on the perfect format! Keep it the way it is and add PPV.

My only complaint is the golf carts...why people feel the need to keep driving in circles through a crowded pit area is beyond me.

I agree. Way, way too many golf carts around that place.

fryefan
08-02-2017, 08:28 PM

Fairbury is a Crown Jewel in my opinion. It beats most other "Jewels" to pieces on track prep and great racing.

The Show-Me 100 has modifieds as a support class and it is clearly a Crown Jewel.

fryefan
08-02-2017, 08:33 PM
I see your all against having any fun during down time.

There is a huge difference in having fun and being a stupid drunk.

fryefan
08-02-2017, 08:35 PM
I agree they have done a good job of addressing issues to improve the weekend and it continues to improve each year. I am a fan of the new format. There was basically eight features on Friday night and still plenty of good racing on Saturday.

My only request....conduct all of the ceremonial stuff (except invocation and national anthem) prior to the regular starting time for the program. Love the racing, but anything to move the program along and get us out at a decent time is appreciated.

I have been to all 28 PDC's and am already looking forward to the 29th!

Amen !!! The format this year was excellent.

Clayton_Wetter
08-02-2017, 08:38 PM
The Show-Me 100 has modifieds as a support class and it is clearly a Crown Jewel.

Yes them also.

Bubstr
08-03-2017, 03:21 PM
I think the Golf carts add to the social part of camping at Falls. You can find old friends and meet new ones, with the mobility. The camping area is fairly large to walk. I don't have one but wished I did.

427c.i.
08-03-2017, 03:49 PM
I think the Golf carts add to the social part of camping at Falls. You can find old friends and meet new ones, with the mobility. The camping area is fairly large to walk. I don't have one but wished I did.

Agree and I have no problem with the golf carts in the camping area. FALS has really clamped down on the reckless behavior and parks them after the races. No issues with that whatsoever.
My problem with them is in the pit area after the races. That pit area is a huge party after the races and very crowded but the same carts kept driving in circles through the crowd. I ain't trying to dump on anyone's good time but constantly dodging the same carts while trying to socialize gets a bit old...

Highside Hustler25
08-03-2017, 04:27 PM
At the conclusion of the races, 4 wheelers are suppose to be done in the pits for the night. Golf carts should be the same.

golddirt
08-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Fryfan. I was referring to the beach ball not drinking
As
I don't drink myself

ptown
08-03-2017, 06:25 PM
Agree and I have no problem with the golf carts in the camping area. FALS has really clamped down on the reckless behavior and parks them after the races. No issues with that whatsoever.
My problem with them is in the pit area after the races. That pit area is a huge party after the races and very crowded but the same carts kept driving in circles through the crowd. I ain't trying to dump on anyone's good time but constantly dodging the same carts while trying to socialize gets a bit old...

I don't have a golf cart, I didn't see anyone do anything dangerous other than Fairbury officials driving around way too fast.

#FALSuperman
08-03-2017, 09:31 PM
Officially over 7,000 in attendance at this year's PDC! Very impressive.

ptown
08-04-2017, 10:05 PM
I've been going since I was a child. This track was at the point to where it was about to be shut down. Where it has gotten Ronnie has become a blessing and a curse in my opinion. The name FALS came from a select group of friends who started the signs and the track ran with it. Back then you could drive

I don't ever remember Fairbury being close to being shut down, what year was that?

Chuck?
08-04-2017, 10:19 PM
I understand the complaints about the beach balls in the front stretch but if you sit on the back stretch when you come to FALS? You better be ready for a wild time. I've been there since I was a kid. I remember fights and yelling at the drivers and that's the way I want it to stay whether we have 7,000 or 1,000. That's what makes FALS what it is. Passion for racing. IMO the WOO could bail and we could take it back to 10,000 and as a town we would still make it a jewel. Unless you grew up there you don't understand. It's a cliche but it's the truth. Also I gotta say I hate that the track has profited off several people who came up with the phrase FALS and haven't compensated them once. But we still come back week after week and give our support. I've read this blog for a long time and never posted. As much as ppl talk trash you guys still are paying customers and your opinion does matter. Thank you for the love and hate you show for the track. Either way your making noise for us.

Chuck?
08-04-2017, 10:30 PM
FALS about went down after Gary May and Roger Long retired. We lost a lot of good latemodel competition. Luckily we had a good local modified group that kept bringing in crowds

Duke100
08-05-2017, 09:45 AM
[QUOTE=Chuck?;2124815. I remember fights and yelling at the drivers and that's the way I want it to stay whether we have 7,000 or 1,000. So you want fights in the stands at the races? They have UFC for that.

cdustyr1
08-06-2017, 01:35 PM
My problem with the beach balls were the fact they were being knock around during racing. Very easily could have been knock over the fence interfering with actual competition.

ptown
08-06-2017, 01:42 PM
My problem with the beach balls were the fact they were being knock around during racing. Very easily could have been knock over the fence interfering with actual competition.

I seen one hit an elderly lady in the side of her face and knock off her glasses.

Black I
08-06-2017, 01:46 PM
I seen one hit an elderly lady in the side of her face and knock off her glasses.

Granny? Lol

skids
08-07-2017, 08:48 AM
Also I gotta say I hate that the track has profited off several people who came up with the phrase FALS and haven't compensated them once. But we still come back week after week and give our support.

Excuse me? I believe that the first appearance of "FALS" was on the speedway website by a certain "prman". He didn't want to type out Fairbury American Legion Speedway every time, thus FALS was used. This I know!

CIRF
08-07-2017, 04:27 PM
http://www.sj-r.com/article/20140524/news/140529581 The horse races used to supplement the fairs. When they were ended, the smaller fairs quit growing. Fairbury has the track,, Mclean countu has a captive audience in Bloomington. Without the track, Fairbury would be just like Ford county fair in Melvin, an afterthought. Another example is in FC, their fair has gone down hill as revenue from the track has dried up. Comparing the fair pre/post track doesn't work as society has changed. The fair used to be THE social event of the year for many. People took mid week baths and dressed up like church to attend.Try again. You offer no credible evidence that the Fairbury Fair would end if the small racetrack ceased to be in existence. As I said before, Cullom is still around and it's a much smaller community than Fairbury and no racetrack in sight to subsidize it. You have no way of knowing if the FF would fold without the small track and definitely have no way of proving it.

We sometimes make things harder than they really are. If that first farmer don't like the idea, offer that cash cow to the next one down the road. Some one will see the value of thousands of people with cash in their pockets coming to your place, but there is no free lunch, you will have to clean up after.Cash cow? LOL! I'm betting you've done little more than set foot on a working farm.

We nominate you to go to the owner/operator of the farm you speak of and sell your idea to him or her and maybe some liability insurance, too. Let us know what he or she says. LOL!!

My problem with the beach balls were the fact they were being knock around during racing. Very easily could have been knock over the fence interfering with actual competition.They bring out the beach balls at the Chili Bowl every year and there is more of them every year. They become a pain in the ass after a short while. If they bounce near our group they become deflated in a minute or less. A thumb tack strategically secured in the palm of the hand does the trick and usually no one knows where the small hole came from. Even if they know what caused the deflation's they don't bounce them our way again. LOL!!