PDA

View Full Version : Laurens: driving drunk at a race

Hoosier
08-01-2017, 11:16 PM
A race car driver was suspended for the rest of the year after driving drunk at a race Saturday, according to Laurens County Speedway promoter Danny Hurley.

At Saturday's four-cylinder race, organizers heard racer Randy Staton in the number 21 car might have been drinking.

"During the race we had word that he could have been drinking before the race," Hurley said."

Staton pulled over during the race, and organizers had Laurens County deputies on the scene perform a sobriety test on Staton, Hurley said. He was then disqualified from the race, Hurley said.

Highwayman
08-02-2017, 07:46 AM
That's how you handle that sort of thing instead of treating everyone as a suspect needlessly. Kudo's to LCS.

vande077
08-02-2017, 09:51 AM
That's how you handle that sort of thing instead of treating everyone as a suspect needlessly. Kudo's to LCS.

???

You mean let him out on the track to race instead of having a policy in place for before the races?

By the post above it sounds like they didn't do anything until AFTER he was on the track and racing. Since they didn't find out until the event started, yes they handled it the best they could given the circumstances. But to say this is the best way to handle it is crazy.

If he was drunk from drinking during the day, how did no officials notice at a driver's meeting or before he got on the track? The only other plausible scenario is that he was drinking AT THE TRACK, yet no officials ever noticed and they had to be told by others?

It's incidents like this that prove that random testing is the way to go. If he knew there was a chance he'd be tested when he showed up at the track, he would probably be less likely to drink beforehand, and if I read it right, WRG has set theirs up so it can be anytime during the event as well, so that further deters people from using during an event too.

But, you're right, let's not worry about it until after someone is out there on the track under the influence.

dirtdobber45
08-02-2017, 10:01 AM
???You mean let him out on the track to race instead of having a policy in place for before the races?By the post above it sounds like they didn't do anything until AFTER he was on the track and racing. Since they didn't find out until the event started, yes they handled it the best they could given the circumstances. But to say this is the best way to handle it is crazy. If he was drunk from drinking during the day, how did no officials notice at a driver's meeting or before he got on the track? The only other plausible scenario is that he was drinking AT THE TRACK, yet no officials ever noticed and they had to be told by others?It's incidents like this that prove that random testing is the way to go. If he knew there was a chance he'd be tested when he showed up at the track, he would probably be less likely to drink beforehand, and if I read it right, WRG has set theirs up so it can be anytime during the event as well, so that further deters people from using during an event too.But, you're right, let's not worry about it until after someone is out there on the track under the influence.Are you saying that they should give sobriety test instead? Or do both?

TS FAN
08-02-2017, 10:43 AM
I remember a few drivers back years ago that never were sober when the raced. Now this was over 50 years ago.

vande077
08-02-2017, 11:52 AM
Are you saying that they should give sobriety test instead? Or do both?

All I'm saying is that while commendable that they DQ'd the guy, the fact is he was out on the track racing already.

Would random testing beforehand changed it? maybe, and if there is even a 1% chance that random testing would have kept him from drinking before the race, then it's needed.

Do I think the handled the situation the best they could given the circumstances? Not sure, if it's true they found out after the guy was on the track, they handled it the best they could, but it also tells me that none of the officials were very observant during the course of the day/night.

Tracks I go to have strict rules when it comes to alcohol in the pit area, it's not allowed, even an unopened can in your trailer will get you tested. Once the last checker of the night falls (even if you were the first of 4 features) then you can have alcohol in the pits, but not a second before.

Josh Bayko
08-02-2017, 12:14 PM
Back in the day, Flemington Speedway had a Breathalyzer at the pit gate that drivers had to blow before they could go in a few times.

cjsracing
08-02-2017, 12:34 PM
Vande07,

Almost every track I race at weekly allows alcohol to be drank in the pits during race night (And I am in your general area). There are always people pitted around me who's crew is drinking all night long. I find it odd because growing up I know you weren't allowed to drink until after the races.

MI Dirt Fan
08-02-2017, 02:00 PM
Those 4 cylinders go all over the place hard to tell if they are drunk driving or actually racing

Clayton_Wetter
08-02-2017, 05:21 PM
He's gonna have to get better at hiding and disguising the BOOS!!! :)

The man is always trying to spoil all the fun!!! :)

dirtdobber45
08-02-2017, 07:08 PM
Maybe the cops waited to he got to racing so they could charge him for more than P.D???

Cardirt0
08-02-2017, 07:34 PM
Vande07,

Almost every track I race at weekly allows alcohol to be drank in the pits during race night (And I am in your general area). There are always people pitted around me who's crew is drinking all night long. I find it odd because growing up I know you weren't allowed to drink until after the races.

I know if you drink in pits at Fairbury or FarmerCity be for races are over you get tossed Fan, Crew, or Driver...

Clayton_Wetter
08-02-2017, 07:38 PM
http://www.forces.org/userfiles/No%20smoke%20while%20driving(2).jpg

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
08-02-2017, 08:28 PM
http://www.forces.org/userfiles/No%20smoke%20while%20driving(2).jpg

CW you are something else lol

vande077
08-03-2017, 12:15 PM
Vande07,

none of the ones I have ever attended regularly allowed it. Maybe they changed it up since I quit going to the pits 10-15 years ago, but Osky, Stuart, Knoxville, Eldon, 34 in Burlington and Marshalltown didn't allow any alcohol back then until after the races.

Boone is the only exception I remember, they allowed (and probably still do) drivers to drink during the race night which was and is stupid. But Boone is all about lining their pockets (welcome Super Nationals competitors, give us your money).

cjsracing
08-03-2017, 03:27 PM
Vande07 I can tell you that Boone, Mtown, Stuart, Webster City and Des Moines (before it closed) all allow drinking in the pits. I personally find it weird but it's not my call.

LM14
08-04-2017, 04:23 PM
Always thought it was odd that Boone and Marshalltown allowed drinking in the pits and SOLD beer in the pit concession.

When we raced stock cars, I saw a driver blow an engine in the first couple laps then sit in the infield and wait for the push truck to push him back to the trailer (pits outside the track). When he got to his trailer (parked next to us) he got out of the car and fell down, then fell down again walking to the trailer. We thought he was hurt or sick.....he was fallin' down drunk!